HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richter may run for Gillibrand's vacant seat

Old
01-25-2009, 07:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Mike Richter may run for Gillibrand's vacant seat

Quote:
Former Stanley Cup-winning New York Rangers goalie Mike Richter could be skating into a new role: congressman.

Richter has been approached by Democrats about running for the upstate seat being vacated by Senator-designate Kirsten Gillibrand.

"He's deciding what he'd like to do," Saratoga County Democratic Chairman Larry Bulman said.

Richter, who lives in Connecticut, has a second home in upstate Essex County. Party officials talked to the former goalie in 2007 about a possible congressional run from Connecticut, but he decided against it
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009...ter_may_t.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:08 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Conservative in the net, but liberal in his views ay???

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Smashley

Oh my god, this would be awesome, haha... I would make everyone circa Saratoga vote for him. Maybe I'll even change my address.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
****in sweet. He would have my vote.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Will Mike realize their is a time limit while he is speaking on the floor of the house?

JD once said Mike can talk off the wheels of a greyhound bus.He never stops talking.

Old
01-25-2009, 01:12 PM
BRINGBACKAVERY

Richter for President 2016!!

BRINGBACKAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:39 PM
rickyrod

This would be the only good to come out of Patterson's mess. The House needs as many fighters for the environment as it can get.

I hope he wears his Stanley Cup ring to every event if he does run.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
eco's bones

I'd love to see it happen but he'd be running in a very tough district--a very good chance he would lose. Taking that seat Gillibrand kind of ran to the right on a lot of things and in '06 when she first won it was a nailbiter. A number of other of her NYS democratic colleauges in the house were not very pleased by Patterson's Senate selection as Gillibrand is considered too conservative. Mike was behind John Hall's campaign in a neighboring but much more liberal district. It just doesn't seem like a good fit.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 06:36 PM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
I started this facebook group when he was considering running in Connecticut last year. I guess it's time to update and revise it!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...9040447&ref=ts

TrampsLikeUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I'd love to see it happen but he'd be running in a very tough district--a very good chance he would lose. Taking that seat Gillibrand kind of ran to the right on a lot of things and in '06 when she first won it was a nailbiter. A number of other of her NYS democratic colleauges in the house were not very pleased by Patterson's Senate selection as Gillibrand is considered too conservative. Mike was behind John Hall's campaign in a neighboring but much more liberal district. It just doesn't seem like a good fit.
maybe so but richter has the ability to raise cash in a short race...combined with his popularity it could add up to a win for him...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Funny how Mike Richter get's a Master's degree from an Ivy League school and wants to become a politician.

Martin Brodeur destroys his family and eats doughnuts.

Good for Mikey. He's a model citizen. A model athlete and really showed that he is the one of the greatest examples of how an athlete should carry himself on and off the ice.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Fletch

SoS..

wouldn't be so sure about the money raising ability (just because personally, I don't know). maybe he'd get a couple grand from a bunch of players, but that may be about it.

Rangerboy - Richter never shuts up, nor does he get to the point. Seems like a great and enthusiastic guy, but man, he can talk.

Can't say if it would be nice to see - not sure of any of his views and how that would be good for me (I can't vote solely based on the fact that he's an ex-Ranger; in fact, a good friend of mine is an ex City concilman of 20 years and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't vote for him if he ran for re-election - don't mix politics with friendships and hero worhips - as James Maynard Keenan once said, "think for yourself...".

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I don't know fletch...people pay for anything and has there been a more popular championship team in these parts then the 94 rangers...not everyone is like us..I'm guessing that people would vote for him because of name recognition...is it enough? no and that's where the cash comes in...richter is the perfect candidate in a lot of respects...plus he's a good media story (free advertising)

how many idiots would donate to his campaign for a 50 dollar signed letter of thanks?

plus I'm sure money managers etc that richter has dealt with would donate as well...

rich people know rich people for the most part...

in politics cash is king...(trust me I have a small political polling sub-office in my office and you'd be surprised how much polls and information goes for..)

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Smashley

They mentioned his possible running in the crummy paper up here today. Like a sentence, but still.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:02 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by APStyleGuide99 View Post
Funny how Mike Richter get's a Master's degree from an Ivy League school and wants to become a politician.

Martin Brodeur destroys his family and eats doughnuts.

Good for Mikey. He's a model citizen. A model athlete and really showed that he is the one of the greatest examples of how an athlete should carry himself on and off the ice.

might be in the running for new signature if thats ok with you hahaha

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:28 PM
The Thomas J.*

This is gonna be intresting.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:49 PM
eco's bones

Keeping in mind that these districts have been redrawn before and that in 2010 I believe NYS is going from 29 congressional districts to 28 Gillibrand beat out a 4 term republican candidate in 2006--John Sweeney who hac been preceeded by Gerry Solomon--another Republican who must have been there 20 years or more. It's a conservative district plain and simple and if Richter runs he will need to keep that in mind. It's not all about raising money either. Running for office is a lot of leg work--running back and forth and then back and forth some more and in that kind of district you have to prepare yourself to lose. It's a big challenge--something that Mike seems to thrive on--but if he does lose can he just shrug off the loss and try again in two years? That's when the real leg work would begin anyway. A year and a half running around his district.

One other thing is a killer instinct. People tend to look at politicians like used car salesmen but there's a bit more to it. Whoever faces him is most likely to go after him tooth and nail--not just on policy issues but family connected stuff, celebrity connected stuff trying to find whatever will stick. Gillibrand knocked off Sweeney in one nasty mean spirited election. Will Michael get that dirty if he has to? I don't know but at the end of the day hardly anyone is going to remember the loser.

By the way Sen. Schumer stated yesterday that the 20th district which we're talking about is 'more like Montana than New York City'.

Last edited by eco's bones: 01-25-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old
01-26-2009, 06:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Didn't Sweeney have some domestic issues with his wife?

Old
01-26-2009, 07:35 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post

might be in the running for new signature if thats ok with you hahaha

sure. anything to promote Fatso's fatso-ness

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Congressman Mike Richter?

Not sure if this was mentioned while I was away, but I don't think so by looking over the board.

Democrats in CT asked Mike Richter to run for Congress, but he rejected. But he has another house in upstate NY and the NYS Democrats are trying to draft him to run for Congress.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:15 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I love Richter, obviously, but I kind of hope he doesn't do this. I admire him for having more depth as a person than just being an athlete, and I'm sure he's very intelligent, but I can't say I agree with all of his politics and I don't want that kind of stuff to get in the way of what he means to me as a Ranger fan. Obviously, this isn't my district, I won't be voting for him or against him either way, but I kind of hope it doesn't happen.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'm all for it. Not a fan of career politicians, and Mike is a fair and intelligent guy.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:34 AM
GarretJoseph*

Very very intelligent guy, I lived across the street from him on 79th and Riverside for a few years, use to run into him quite a lot walking the dog. Was very into the politics of the neighborhood at the time. Then he had a concussion and used to walk in circles. I'm sure his head is back on straight though.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Garfinkel1

It's safe to say he as my vote.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Didn't Sweeney have some domestic issues with his wife?
Domestic violence though I don't know if he was ever charged. Also seemed to have had an alcohol problem. Several incidents involving a car he was driving. Gillibrand if I remember was all over it. Some congressional ethics problems as well. It's funny as GWB nicknamed Mr. Sweeney 'Congressman Kickass' and in 2006 Gillibrand kicked his. Really for someone to knock off an incumbent anymore you really have to go for the throat.

Anyway upstate congressional seats are really not like NYC congressional seats where the population is all in a relatively small area. I live in the 29th district which runs west from Elmira along the Pa. border all the way through Jamestown to the Ohio border--that's about a 2 hour drive that way. The same district goes north into the Rochester NY suburbs which is a good hour and a half going in that direction. There are towns and villages all over in between. Geographically and in political bent it bears some resemblance to what Richter would be up against. Not impossible by any means but it wouldn't be easy either.