HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What will come out of this wild weekend?

Old
01-25-2009, 12:01 PM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Johan Franzen isn't tough?

Last edited by Squiffy: 01-25-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: quote
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:04 PM
FerrisRox

I'm constantly amazed that people are willing to offer damning opinions of players they've clearly never watched play.

Even a child could have watched last years Stanley Cup Final - or any Red Wing game for that matter - and would realize that Johan Franzen is a tough son of a *****. Him and Tomas Holmstrom abosrb so much punishment in the slot for the Red Wings it's absurd.

Marian Hossa isn't tough? Too funny. The guy is almost impossible to knock off the puck... how is that not tough? I guess he thinks tough is punks like Darcy Tucker who want to face-wash players after every whistle but get knocked off the puck in the blink of an eye.

Last edited by Squiffy: 01-25-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Johan Franzen isn't tough?

nope he is a hard worker,not tough ! is Lapierre tough or a hard worker, if Frnazen was tough he would have more then an avg of 30 PM per season.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:07 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
nope he is a hard worker,not tough ! is Lapierre tough or a hard worker, if Frnazen was tough he would have more then an avg of 30 PM per season.
So now toughness means taking penalties?

Old
01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
So now toughness means taking penalties?

fn "a" it does

Old
01-25-2009, 12:17 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Penalty minutes has nothing to do with being tough. Corey Perry has twice as many penalty minutes as Mike Fisher (pound for pound probably one of the toughest guys in the league). Does that mean hes tougher than Fisher? Being tough has to do with being able to take hits, make hits, going into the dirty places and not being afraid etc. All the Red Wings you mentioned earlier with the exception of maybe Hudler exemplify this and I'd say without a doubt their Europeans play a much more "tougher" game than our European players and even some of our Canadian players (Tangauy, Brisbois).

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Just to get back on topic, Montreal is doing a fantastic job, It's good for the game. Montreal probably should get these events every 5 years or so, I think cities like Boston - Chicago & NYC & Minny, should be the only places south of the border to do it in between, Toronto can also handle it up North, but the list is short, Please no more Atlanta's!!!

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
Penalty minutes has nothing to do with being tough. Corey Perry has twice as many penalty minutes as Mike Fisher (pound for pound probably one of the toughest guys in the league). Does that mean hes tougher than Fisher? Being tough has to do with being able to take hits, make hits, going into the dirty places and not being afraid etc. All the Red Wings you mentioned earlier with the exception of maybe Hudler exemplify this and I'd say without a doubt their Europeans play a much more "tougher" game than our European players and even some of our Canadian players (Tangauy, Brisbois).
LOL Datsyuk tough

Old
01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
yeah i know eh ? detroit has all those soft euros too and they will never win anything !!!

Pleks isn't necessarily the problem, it's the combination of Pleks and Koivu thats too small.
Detroit's Euros are not average players like Montreal but Superstars and Holmstrom is far from being soft

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:25 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
LOL Datsyuk tough
Do you watch hockey man? Datsyuk is probably one of the strongest guys on the puck in the league. He'll go into the corners, go to the front of the net. Like he may not be able to fight his way out of a wet paper bag but last time I checked that doesn't win you cups.

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:32 PM
sampollock

Quote:
You say this as if it's a fact. Do you actually remember the Philadelphia series? The only thing that sunk the Canadiens was goaltending. The Flyers - who were consistently outplayed and outchanced through the entire series got exceptional netminding from Martin Biron while the Canadiens got sub-par performances from Carey Price and Jaroslav Halak.

Size had absolutely nothing to do with it.
well let's back on track of why this is posted!

yes price crapped the bed, (even though his hand was hurting)

but size did, our players would not go in frt of the net, to screen, and plecs as 1 example was brutal , size does matter, and sacrificing your body, does as well ,

and the habs were trying to score from the boards, and we lost.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:36 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
well let's back on track of why this is posted!

yes price crapped the bed, (even though his hand was hurting)

but size did, our players would not go in frt of the net, to screen, and plecs as 1 example was brutal , size does matter, and sacrificing your body, does as well ,

and the habs were trying to score from the boards, and we lost.
I'm not suggesting an influx of size (with skill) wouldn't help this team - it would. But against Philadelphia, I can honestly say I didn't have any complaints about our ability to create offense (except on the powerplay.) I thought the team had a ton of good solid chances, they just got foiled time and time again by Martin Biron and suffered a few back breakers when some soft goals got scored at the other end that took the wind out of their sails.

Old
01-25-2009, 12:58 PM
sampollock

Quote:
I'm not suggesting an influx of size (with skill) wouldn't help this team - it would. But against Philadelphia, I can honestly say I didn't have any complaints about our ability to create offense (except on the powerplay.) I thought the team had a ton of good solid chances, they just got foiled time and time again by Martin Biron and suffered a few back breakers when some soft goals got scored at the other end that took the wind out of their sails.
true enough,

but i just of get tired, of guys, paid very well, not going to the net,

you can't score every goal , from the boards....

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:49 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Didn't realize we lost in the PO because our players were too small.

I thought it was because Price completely collapsed, and Biron/Umberger had huge magic rods jammed up their arses.
While i agree that Price wasn't at his best , one has to wonder why our defencemen were always collapsing to the front of the net and surrendering all of the ice between the blue line and the hash marks . If our defence stands up at the blue line and forces the Flyers to dump it in , the outcome of that series might have been very different .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
So...Crosby..Malkin..Forsberg..Jagr..Lemieux..aren 't or weren't tough?
All of them are/were extremely strong, and possibly impossible to move off the puck when they protect/ed it.
Toughness has nothing to do with Penalties buddy. That's aggressivity.

Lapierre is an intense hard worker, he's not tough.

And FYI, Datsyuk is indeed tough.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
While i agree that Price wasn't at his best , one has to wonder why our defencemen were always collapsing to the front of the net and surrendering all of the ice between the blue line and the hash marks . If our defence stands up at the blue line and forces the Flyers to dump it in , the outcome of that series might have been very different .
No it wouldn't. Price let in extremely weak goals, no matter how crappy was the shot, it found its way in. So giving up the line wasn't what made us lose. Umberger's goals were atrocious and Biron was extremely lucky, on top of us hitting about 20000x posts/game.

We weren't winning that serie no matter what.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So...Crosby..Malkin..Forsberg..Jagr..Lemieux..aren 't or weren't tough?
All of them are/were extremely strong, and possibly impossible to move off the puck when they protect/ed it.
Toughness has nothing to do with Penalties buddy. That's aggressivity.

Lapierre is an intense hard worker, he's not tough.

And FYI, Datsyuk is indeed tough.

this is your opinion and the opposite is mine, believe it or not Buddy as you say, i am allowed my opinion.

Old
01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
le_sean

There is also a big difference between The Habs' Euros and the Red Wings' Euros. Theirs are elite players and the Habs' are just good.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote