HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is The Most Stupid Game on Earth

Old
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
VenomZeus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
I think it's OK when done right & Montreal knows how to do it right, have you taken a walk on Ste-Catherines Street & seen the frozen Jerseys?

Montreal may have made some nice stuff outside the arena but the skills competition was completely disorganized. The workers kept putting stuff out and then 2 minutes later taking them back because they had no idea what they were doing. Did you guys see that stupid Honda thing they put in the middle of the ice where people were tripping over it? That stupid thing served no purpose.

Also for the price we paid, you would think they would be giving us some nice freebies when going in the bell center but no NOTHING! Also during the breaks, they weren't giving away prizes it was just pure silence... The crowd was also pretty quiet during the entire show. And the announcer was horrible and confused, he made errors all across the show and it was pretty annoying.

VenomZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZeus View Post
Also for the price we paid, you would think they would be giving us some nice freebies when going in the bell center but no NOTHING!
Are you seriously complaining that they never gave you anything for free?

You paid for a seat to watch the All-Star Game, nothing else. They don't owe you.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Montreal may have made some nice stuff outside the arena but the skills competition was completely disorganized. The workers kept putting stuff out and then 2 minutes later taking them back because they had no idea what they were doing. Did you guys see that stupid Honda thing they put in the middle of the ice where people were tripping over it? That stupid thing served no purpose.

Also for the price we paid, you would think they would be giving us some nice freebies when going in the bell center but no NOTHING! Also during the breaks, they weren't giving away prizes it was just pure silence... The crowd was also pretty quiet during the entire show. And the announcer was horrible and confused, he made errors all across the show and it was pretty annoying.
lol you want freebies ? and this is what made you upset about yesterday ?

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

huh... I dunno where you from but you're definitely not from the Mtl area, otherwise you'd know by now that Habs org doesnt need to give freebies to fill up an arena...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
VenomZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
huh... I dunno where you from but you're definitely not from the Mtl area, otherwise you'd know by now that Habs org doesnt need to give freebies to fill up an arena...
Wow what are you guys talking about? First of all I am from montreal, next the arena was far from filled.

Also, why shouldn't I complain about no freebies? You usually get SOMETHING for going to any other game, why not the all-star game? The last game vs the leafs we received a paper magazine talking about the players they honored that day.

I'm not saying I want a $50 "present" I am talking about getting something similar to that of the Toronto game, not more.

Last edited by VenomZeus: 01-25-2009 at 02:34 PM.
VenomZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:38 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
I am not in Montreal, so I don't see that aspect, and I am sure for the people there it was done right...

I think the issue is for the fans at home watching....the opening ceremony SUCKED and SUCKED HARD... I know thats not MTL's fault, they wanted MTL artists and that butch got chosen... the NHL messes everything up...here is a GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEAT idea... they wanted a local performance...WHY NOT THE ARCADE FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! I know they are big Habs fans...they are a SICK band and would put on a great show to kick it off....instead of Butch No Name

The quality of the broadcast sucked too.... for the rook\soph people would be on a breakaway, but CBC is showing replay of some other play that was 4 mins ago....same with Shootout elimination...the nhl and CBC mess everything up
i was thinking either them or "of montreal". the opening was the only point i was ashamed to be a huge hockey fan. the rest of it i thought was entertaining. it was a great mix of skill and fun, and you could clearly see all the players out there laughing and having a good time. and who didnt laugh when streit tripped?

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Wow what are you guys talking about? First of all I am from montreal, next the arena was far from filled.

Also, why shouldn't I complain about no freebies? You usually get SOMETHING for going to any other game, why not the all-star game? The last game vs the leafs we received a paper magazine talking about the players they honored that day.

I'm not saying I want a $50 "present" I am talking about getting something similar to that of the Toronto game, not more.
Is it THAT necessary??..
I received 2 little banners when they honored Moore and Cournoyer, or I don't remember what exactly but something like that..
But I couldn't care less about that, nor a magazine, nor a towel, or wtv..

The ASG is boring anyways, it's always been bad, so paying to go there is already a bad move.

Whether the Arena was filled or not, it was sold out. The jamboree was packed, everything worked well..

Anyways, you just sound like a cheap and bitter fan that didn't quite like the show.
I don't see why you feel the need to complain about not receiving a little magazine, or a sheet of paper, or a key chain, or some toilet paper..like seriously, who wines about not receiving freebies??..

FYI, they don't USUALLY, give out freebies. It happens that they do, but it's not something they do at every game.

As for the Honda thing, it's called sponsors and who cares where if it was in the middle of the ice. Best part of the show was Streit tripping over it, so...
If you don't like the competition, complain about the NHL, Habs have no say in it..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Funny as I was with a bunch of non hockey fans and they actually enjoyed everything.

I think this weekend is more of a letdown for hardcore hockey fans because the non fans and the kids love it.

Don't like it? Don't watch it.
Plus it inspire the kids to like hockey even more by enjoying what these players do. For the NHL, it's their futur fanbase.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:38 PM
CanadienErrant*

The youngsters' game was just the pits !

And waht about "our" beloved Price ?

The guy is still injured and should not had been allowed to play this week-end.

Mark my word. Halak will be in goal next Tuesday !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The youngsters' game was just the pits !

And waht about "our" beloved Price ?

The guy is still injured and should not had been allowed to play this week-end.

Mark my word. Halak will be in goal next Tuesday !
oh boy..

Old
01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
oh boy..
When Carbonneau declared that Price would not be allowed by the team to play in the ASG if he was not playing before the event, Price suddenly, miracelously heeled pretty fast and played against NJ...

The guy is still injured !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
SilverTab

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
i was thinking either them or "of montreal". the opening was the only point i was ashamed to be a huge hockey fan. the rest of it i thought was entertaining. it was a great mix of skill and fun, and you could clearly see all the players out there laughing and having a good time. and who didnt laugh when streit tripped?
Fun fact: Of Montreal are not from Montreal! They are from Athens, Georgia...

If they wanted decent Montreal/Qc bands, Wolf Parade, Arcade Fire, Malajube, The Stills, Karkwa, Vulgaire Machins, We are Wolves etc.. would all have been much, much better choices than whatever it was that they picked ...

SilverTab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
When Carbonneau declared that Price would not be allowed by the team to play in the ASG if he was not playing before the event, Price suddenly, miracelously heeled pretty fast and played against NJ...

The guy is still injured !
Oh yeah..and I'm sure Price gave a brown bill to the Doctors so they could magically clear him as well..

You think it was Price's decision?..

First off, I don't think Price is dumb enough to want to play injured in an ASG and risk missing some more games after.

Second, if Price was really injured, there's no way Carbo/Gainey would have let him participate.

Third, the doctors need to give clearance when a player comes back from injury. If anything, the coach can maybe influence the doctor's decision, but I doubt a player can.

Old
01-25-2009, 04:01 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Oh yeah..and I'm sure Price gave a brown bill to the Doctors so they could magically clear him as well..

You think it was Price's decision?..

First off, I don't think Price is dumb enough to want to play injured in an ASG and risk missing some more games after.

Second, if Price was really injured, there's no way Carbo/Gainey would have let him participate.

Third, the doctors need to give clearance when a player comes back from injury. If anything, the coach can maybe influence the doctor's decision, but I doubt a player can.
another point would be, like Luongo said during an interview on the NHL Network, " during these games we don't give our 100% and are more careful to not get injured", so Price was not giving it his all garanteed.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 04:27 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTab View Post
Fun fact: Of Montreal are not from Montreal! They are from Athens, Georgia...

If they wanted decent Montreal/Qc bands, Wolf Parade, Arcade Fire, Malajube, The Stills, Karkwa, Vulgaire Machins, We are Wolves etc.. would all have been much, much better choices than whatever it was that they picked ...
arcade fire it is!! haha i actually did not know that. guess i shouldnt assume so much. of montreal played a famous playhouse/opera theater in boston recently and scored GREAT reviews by everything i read. i wanna check them out next time.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
mrCoffea*

I was at the Skills competition, had great seats too, but thank the lord I didn't pay for them

I had a blast, and enjoyed going. It was great being able to say I was part of the all star game since it doesn't come often.....but honestly, the whole night I had a vibe that the players just didn't care

Everything looked forced, very few players looked genuinely happy, most of what was done on the ice looked half-assed

And to make matters worse, I feel like they skimped out on the actual competitions. Last year there was some sort of relay event with teams of 4 or 5 players, that was my favorite event and they didn't have it this year. There was no goalie challenge, no quickfire challenge, etc...

Not only that, but the fastest skater event was so boring. I mean, why not have two guys start at the opposite side of the rink and compete against each other, tournament style. Loser of each heat gets eliminated.

Every event but the last shootout competition was way too short. 6 fast skaters only (so basically six people going around the rink only once), ~6 players doing the freestyle shootout thing, only one minute each... the youngstar game was not only short, but the players weren't even trying at all!

The only event I was satisfied with were the hardest shot and the last shootout challenge (even though I would change some aspects of it)

All in all, I can't say I was disappointed, because I didn't pay. But I feel sorry for the people that spent 2000$ on their tickets, to sit in the whites, and witness that

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
I was at the Skills competition, had great seats too, but thank the lord I didn't pay for them

I had a blast, and enjoyed going. It was great being able to say I was part of the all star game since it doesn't come often.....but honestly, the whole night I had a vibe that the players just didn't care

Everything looked forced, very few players looked genuinely happy, most of what was done on the ice looked half-assed

And to make matters worse, I feel like they skimped out on the actual competitions. Last year there was some sort of relay event with teams of 4 or 5 players, that was my favorite event and they didn't have it this year. There was no goalie challenge, no quickfire challenge, etc...

Not only that, but the fastest skater event was so boring. I mean, why not have two guys start at the opposite side of the rink and compete against each other, tournament style. Loser of each heat gets eliminated.

Every event but the last shootout competition was way too short. 6 fast skaters only (so basically six people going around the rink only once), ~6 players doing the freestyle shootout thing, only one minute each... the youngstar game was not only short, but the players weren't even trying at all!

The only event I was satisfied with were the hardest shot and the last shootout challenge (even though I would change some aspects of it)

All in all, I can't say I was disappointed, because I didn't pay. But I feel sorry for the people that spent 2000$ on their tickets, to sit in the whites, and witness that
Yes, good point. Paying such high prices creates one set of tolerance, those with the freebies another. Those with remote controls in their hands another, people forming opinions about the game being sold to them yet another.

If it's a weekend schmooze, where kids can toss adulation to the players and one city can get close to the players if they (or someone else) pay big ticket prices then fine. But (and here is my point) don't sell it to a global audience as some representation of the skills of the game or the best the game has to offer.

And while I don't like the ASG that much, my comments were directed at the skills competition, and how last night's was terrible. Those wanting to flame can go ahead but I doubt many of them paid for their own ticket last night.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:36 PM
JudasPriced

Looks like the creator of this thread is eating his words.

JudasPriced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Habs

Know whats worse than the ASG? The unoriginal bashing of it, every year, like nobody understood it wasn't going to be a great game of hockey.

It is, what it is... so just let it be and maybe everyone can stop bashing it.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:14 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Know whats worse than the ASG? The unoriginal bashing of it, every year, like nobody understood it wasn't going to be a great game of hockey.

It is, what it is... so just let it be and maybe everyone can stop bashing it.
Is it that unreasonable for the people that paid good money to go see the skills competition and youngstars game to expect, I dunno, effort from the players and/or interesting events

I think the NHL has the potential to put out an exciting skills competition, but they need to rethink things badly. There is a lot of room for improvement

As for the game itself, well it is what it is

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:24 PM
JudasPriced

Either way you slice it. The game itself was probably the best ASG ever.
Kovy lit it up.
Marky put one in.
Komi made Carbo LOL.
Price was great.

What exactly is wrong with the world? Nothing. Absolutely Nothing

Old
01-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
Is it that unreasonable for the people that paid good money to go see the skills competition and youngstars game to expect, I dunno, effort from the players and/or interesting events
Yes, it is.. because it never will be an exciting game. They are young kids, nervous.. who have no idea what level they should take it to. I don't care for the youngstars game either, but its not going to change so lets stop *****ing about it.

Lets get back to *****ing about the grit this team lacks, our problems on defense and just enjoy the ASG for whatever its meant to be

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKoivu11 View Post
Looks like the creator of this thread is eating his words.
Really, did they re-do the skills competition today?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
JudasPriced

That is all u can say? Way to glorify my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
The NHL All Star game is the worst at putting on a show that represents the game itself.
Ya hmmm 22 displays of great scoring skill by many aswell as save after save? Surely yes the defensive side of the game isn't there but what do u want from these guys? An injury obviously. I'm sure you'd have these athletes racing from end to end with touch icing and full contact. Dig a deeper hole.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-26-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old
01-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Go Habs Go

The all star game was always like this. If you always knew this, then why would you watch it? Why would you watch it then complain about it. Its like eating dirt then saying "wow, I'm disappointed that dirt doesn't taste better..."

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote