HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

is this a good computer?

Old
01-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Bench Warmer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post

Also I found it cheaper from this site: Never bought from them though
http://dealspl.us/HP-Phoenix-Special...Printer_125315

I think it's cheaper due to the smaller moniter..

Bench Warmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
If it has a a PCIe x16 slot (which I'm 99% sure it would), then it's upgradable, the other consideration, is that OEMs are known to use non-standard, underpowered power supplies. Not all PSUs are created equal either, as I would rather have a very efficient 500W one, than a 600-700+ W one, that just gives off more heat.

So what happens if the power supply sucks..

Old
01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I think it's cheaper due to the smaller moniter..
Ah Didn't notice.

Well anyway with a 300 watt PSU you aren't upgrading squat. You could try the on board and see how you like it. If you don't like it, you can beef out to a better PSU and then upgrade the card. More cash of course.

Quote:
So what happens if the power supply sucks..
Video will not appear after a power on.

EDIT:
So assuming you get this package, You are into it for 820+130 ish(video)+65ish(PSU) + shipping.
Of course if you upgrade the power supply you can go as crazy on the video card as you want.

There are probably some cards out there that will run on the 300watt PSU and perform a little better than the on board but It's probably not worth it.

Last edited by SniperHF: 01-25-2009 at 11:38 PM.
SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Ah Didn't notice.

Well anyway with a 300 watt PSU you aren't upgrading squat. You could try the on board and see how you like it. If you don't like it, you can beef out to a better PSU and then upgrade the card. More cash of course.

Video will not appear after a power on.

HMMM... hey i see it says your from phoenix az... I just moved to the phx are 10 months ago from boston.. anyways.. thanks for all your help..

where does it state the PSU? I'm looking at the more expensive computer the other dude said he liked better.. im wondering if it has a better power supply

Old
01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
HMMM... hey i see it says your from phoenix az... I just moved to the phx are 10 months ago from boston.. anyways.. thanks for all your help..

where does it state the PSU? I'm looking at the more expensive computer the other dude said he liked better.. im wondering if it has a better power supply
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3867529

Only by 50 watts. But the CPU probably draws a little more so It comes out about a wash I would think.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3867529

Only by 50 watts. But the CPU probably draws a little more so It comes out about a wash I would think.

I might just buy the cheaper one, and upgrade the PS, and Video card if need be.. I mean, this comp seems alot better than the one I've been using for the past few months.. I think I should be okay... hopefully if i run into problems, i'll be able to upgrade..

thanks for your time man, i appreciate it

Old
01-26-2009, 12:16 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Don't upgrade just the power supply.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Don't upgrade just the power supply.
I saw your earlier post.... What is it about this machine that you do not like? What would you reccomend, in a simaler price range?

I'm just curious. Thank you

Old
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
I saw your earlier post.... What is it about this machine that you do not like? What would you reccomend, in a simaler price range?

I'm just curious. Thank you

or anyone.. Mikey doesn't seem to care to back up his opinions!

Old
01-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Kestrel

Have you considered building your own computer? If you know nothing about the insides of a computer, take that suggestion with a grain of salt, however if you're technically inclined, or have a buddy who is familiar with the insides of a computer, building your own can go a long way toward helping you understand your computer.

That way, you can also make sure you actually get what you want. You *MAY* end up paying more short term, but you won't end up with a power supply you need to replace, RAM you don't need, or a video card you don't want, so in the long run, you save money on the computer you actually want.

If you're willing to take time, and watch for sales online, you can actually save money initially too. Local chains are likely to charge you significantly more for components than mail order companies will. Places like Best Buy and Future Shop, their Boxing Day blowouts (basically Canadian Black Friday) were still more expensive on the parts I wanted than the regular prices I was able to find at mail order sites.

I'm sure people here would be able to critique your individual components too if you were wanting to do that. www.hardwarecanucks.com is a site with a lot of knowledgeable people too.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
or anyone.. Mikey doesn't seem to care to back up his opinions!
Wanna repost the machine, so I know for sure which one it is? I'm not a hardcore enthusiast, but I could take a look - be prepared for a slow answer though - I'm at work, so I might get busy.

Old
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Wanna repost the machine, so I know for sure which one it is? I'm not a hardcore enthusiast, but I could take a look - be prepared for a slow answer though - I'm at work, so I might get busy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....rd105700050011

here you are sir..

thanks

Old
01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Kestrel

Link is broken.

Old
01-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Link is broken.
damn, my bad man.. try this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....rd105700050011

Old
01-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Kestrel

I don't like the video card, you don't need that much RAM - I'm running 4GB right now, but to be honest, I was doing just fine with 2GB playing some of the more intense games. This part's more controversial, but I would prefer an Intel processesor at this point in time... but I'll admit, I'm not terribly familiar with AMD's lineup, although that should be a more than adequate processor. And by more than adequate, I mean good - how good though - like I said, I'm not familiar enough with AMD.

I don't like the lack of specific specs, like the number of expansion slots, or the power supply - unless I"m just too tired, and missing where ever it is I'm supposed to click for them.

Also - it may or may not matter to you, but I suspect that that monitor is a cheapie low spec generic.

Old
01-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
I don't like the video card, you don't need that much RAM - I'm running 4GB right now, but to be honest, I was doing just fine with 2GB playing some of the more intense games. This part's more controversial, but I would prefer an Intel processesor at this point in time... but I'll admit, I'm not terribly familiar with AMD's lineup, although that should be a more than adequate processor. And by more than adequate, I mean good - how good though - like I said, I'm not familiar enough with AMD.

I don't like the lack of specific specs, like the number of expansion slots, or the power supply - unless I"m just too tired, and missing where ever it is I'm supposed to click for them.

Also - it may or may not matter to you, but I suspect that that monitor is a cheapie low spec generic.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...870521&lang=en

this site has specs, just not sure what it all means

Old
01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Kestrel

Broken link again I might still be slow in responding... got phonecalls coming in.

Old
01-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Broken link again I might still be slow in responding... got phonecalls coming in.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3870521

Old
01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Kestrel

A 300 watt power supply is pretty anemic. It MAY do everything you want on a low powered system, but where they don't list a brand - not all 300 watt PSUs are created equal, and that one may only be enough to run what's already in the system, and adding anything like even the most modest video card may overload it. Which means it MAY run your system, or it may not. If it does, it may put extra wear and tear on your system, and cause failed parts as they are powered, but not properly.

I tried quickly to find specs on the motherboard... while I didn't look extensively, I wasn't able to find it, even on the manufacturer's website - that's not terribly promising. It COULD do everything you want it to, but there's really no way of knowing if it's good, or pure junk.

Old
01-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Kestrel

If you don't mind a refurbished monitor, you could go for something like http://www.esng.ca/productDetail.php...5854&isid=9363 - like I said, it's a refurb, but it's a 22 inch LCD monitor for $145, and very likely superior to the one bundled with that system - although that is a Canadian site, so you may want to look elsewhere. Doesn't hurt to check them out though.

Especially since your dollar is stronger than ours.

Old
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
A 300 watt power supply is pretty anemic. It MAY do everything you want on a low powered system, but where they don't list a brand - not all 300 watt PSUs are created equal, and that one may only be enough to run what's already in the system, and adding anything like even the most modest video card may overload it. Which means it MAY run your system, or it may not. If it does, it may put extra wear and tear on your system, and cause failed parts as they are powered, but not properly.

I tried quickly to find specs on the motherboard... while I didn't look extensively, I wasn't able to find it, even on the manufacturer's website - that's not terribly promising. It COULD do everything you want it to, but there's really no way of knowing if it's good, or pure junk.

lol, thank you sir... if i could build my own comp, I would.... but it's not an option for me..

I need a new computer.. I'm not in a huge rush.. I just thought it would be a "can't miss" buying a name brand computer, from a name brand store like best buy..

What do I do now? lol

Anyways, thanks for your time man.. I appreciate it!

Old
01-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Kestrel

Well... do you have any specific parts you KNOW you want? For example, does it need to be a quad core processor? Or is a dual core just fine too? How big a hard drive do you need?

Old
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Kestrel

I did a little looking at www.newegg.com and found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229042

Not that that's necessarily the system for you, but I like it better than the other one. Note: you would need to buy a monitor separate, and it doesn't come with a printer and all the software the other one did. Printers are cheap - and the software, you probably don't need everything the other one came with, and you can often find free equivalents that will work just as well, plus use what you already have for software.

It's a dual core instead of a quad core, but it's got a pretty good clock speed. I'm not terribly familiar with Nvidia video cards, my system's got an ATI - but that should be a decent card, and if you got into gaming heavier than you expect, this system will actually let you use two video cards together - they have to be identical Nvidia cards though.

A 600 watt power supply gives you room for expansion and upgrading. The case is a bit more gaudy - which could either be a pro or a con depending on your own personal feelings.

IF you ever get into overclocking, that motherboard is decent, and will be much better for the job than the other system's motherboard.

Once again, not necessarily the system that's just perfect for you - but I personally would be much happier with it. Hopefully it gives you more of an indication of what's out there.

Old
01-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Well... do you have any specific parts you KNOW you want? For example, does it need to be a quad core processor? Or is a dual core just fine too? How big a hard drive do you need?

Not sure about what I exactly need...

All I really know is I'm a digital camera junkie... I'll need a lot of space for the images, and video's I'll be editing & saving..

Also, music.. I'll have alot of music saved.. this has slowed down some of the other computers I have used in the past..

I'm a web junkie too.. always have a bunch of things going at once..

My gf will be using the computer for surfing the web, and word processing..

I'm not really a gamer.. But I'd like to get into gaming.. I haven't to this point because I've never had a machine that is adequate.

I don't want to build the computer strictly for gaming.. but I don't want the damn thing to go on strike because I threw in NHL 09 either...

Old
01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Kestrel

You want a solid motherboard - doesn't have to be an "enthusiast" board necessarily - but if the CPU is the heart or brain of your system, the motherboard is the central nervous system.

The CPU - you can get dual core processors cheaper than quad cores - so in other words, you can get faster for the money. I like my quad core though, because I do a lot of multitasking. I'm the guy who's going to be burning a DVD while I'm also doing a virus scan, watching a movie on the PC, and web surfing all at the same time. If you multitask heavily, you might want the quad core - and to be honest, my 2.33GHz is plenty fast... although I couldn't resist the urge to overclock, and have it running at 3.15GHz right now.

Music - it's very likely your motherboard will come with onboard sound meaning you don't need a soundcard, and these days onboard sound is usually pretty good.

Basic gaming video cards are cheap. Mine cost $130 bucks - I got the 1GB version - and it does everything I have asked of it so far. There are cheaper ones you can get.

RAM - I'd get something in the neighbourhood of 2 to 4GB - if you do intense video or photoediting, you may want the 4GB, but you can always add more later too.

Hard drive space - is CHEAP. A 500GB hard drive is ample for most people - but a 1500GB hard drive will run you in the neighbourhood of $150 to $170.

For your power supply, I would personally make 400 watts your bare minimum. I got a 700 watt PSU, but I intend to run 2 video cards, and even at that - I'll have plenty of power to spare.

So... I'm rambling now... I think I'm suffering from office suck... that computer I linked to should likely be great for what you're talking about, but you might want to look at a quad core if you multi-task heavily. I can maybe suggest other ones to look at if you'd like.