HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
03-23-2009, 10:53 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
Another thing I just realized...why are the finals at 2 pm?? That is really going to put whatever team comes out of UNB/Alberta/Lakehead's pool at a disadvantage as they won't be finishing up until atleast 9:30 the night before (unless of course all three teams finish 1-1...then it would be possible the team that plays the first two nights could play in the finals like Alberta last year)

Btw...Alberta had some pretty significant injuries during their last game against Saskatchewan as well (MacDonald and Fransoo)..anyone know how serious they were?

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM
AUS Fan

Sportsnet probably has something important like Harness Racing or WWE Raw!!! in the 7 pm time slot. It does suck for the Saturday night team.
Had UofA not won CW, SMU would be #1 seed and in the Saturday night game while UNB would have the afternoon draw.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Bob Stauffer

Saint Mary's has a free pass

Given the structure of the pools, and the fact they are in the morning draw I would suggest everything points to Trevor Steinburg and SMU winning his first National title.
As previously stated when the Huskies knocked off UNB for the AUS crown...we now have a very tough draw with Alberta, UNB and Lakehead.
The Bears and the V-Reds are seen as the two best teams on paper, and were viewed that why by the poolsters...myself included. UNB's problem is that had troubles with one team all season...SMU, and that has kind of thrown things out of whack. Lakehead is also playing at home, which can never be discounted, especially at the Fort Williams Garderns where the T-Wolves have had tremendous playoff success since joining the CIS.
Conversely the Huskies must be smiling like a butchers dog right now!
They get two OUA teams and not Lakehead.
No disrespect to Western and McGill but I just think given the past five years or so of this tournament that Lakehead has shown they are the toughest team to consistently come out of that Conference.
In 2005-06 #1 Alberta ended up with Laurier and McGill in their pool; with #2 Acadia, #3 Lakehead and #5 Saskatchewan in the other. That was how that draw had to work based on CIS regulations.
As a member of the organizing committee that year...we knew Alberta (provided they play their game) was going through to the final.
I think I can safely say that Saint Mary's is in a similiar position this year.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:54 AM
AUS Fan

Kiss of Death

Bob has annointed SMU the new CIS champion.

We're toast!!

Old
03-23-2009, 12:22 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Another thing I just realized...why are the finals at 2 pm?? That is really going to put whatever team comes out of UNB/Alberta/Lakehead's pool at a disadvantage as they won't be finishing up until atleast 9:30 the night before (unless of course all three teams finish 1-1...then it would be possible the team that plays the first two nights could play in the finals like Alberta last year)

Btw...Alberta had some pretty significant injuries during their last game against Saskatchewan as well (MacDonald and Fransoo)..anyone know how serious they were?
We ran into Fransoo at Earls after the game and he didn't look too worse for wear and it sounded like he expected to play. I didn't see MacDonald on the bench for the post game presentations, might just of missed him though.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
Given the structure of the pools, and the fact they are in the morning draw I would suggest everything points to Trevor Steinburg and SMU winning his first National title.
As previously stated when the Huskies knocked off UNB for the AUS crown...we now have a very tough draw with Alberta, UNB and Lakehead.
The Bears and the V-Reds are seen as the two best teams on paper, and were viewed that why by the poolsters...myself included. UNB's problem is that had troubles with one team all season...SMU, and that has kind of thrown things out of whack. Lakehead is also playing at home, which can never be discounted, especially at the Fort Williams Garderns where the T-Wolves have had tremendous playoff success since joining the CIS.
Conversely the Huskies must be smiling like a butchers dog right now!
They get two OUA teams and not Lakehead.
No disrespect to Western and McGill but I just think given the past five years or so of this tournament that Lakehead has shown they are the toughest team to consistently come out of that Conference.
In 2005-06 #1 Alberta ended up with Laurier and McGill in their pool; with #2 Acadia, #3 Lakehead and #5 Saskatchewan in the other. That was how that draw had to work based on CIS regulations.
As a member of the organizing committee that year...we knew Alberta (provided they play their game) was going through to the final.
I think I can safely say that Saint Mary's is in a similiar position this year.
I totally Agree with you Bob. With the Afternoon pool, and they way the pools are split, looks like St Mary's is the Favorite going into this tournament

With that said, I am very surprised the organizers, went for putting Lakehead in the Alberta/UNB Pool, unless their hands were tied, along with both of the OUA finalist in the same pool as well, I definately expected McGill to be in the UNB/Alberta Pool. Lakehead played SMU very tough in the 2 exibition contest in Thunder Bay this year, although obviously St Mary's has steadily improved since than and they were minus Cody Thorton for those games.

Im sad to see the UNB vs Alberta Game starting the tournament off, I was looking forward to a great Championchip rematch here, but this game is atleast worthy for the chance for it to be a semifinal, not an opener.

FOYLE! any word on Tremblay and Cuddihy? amongs any other UNB injuries?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
We ran into Fransoo at Earls after the game and he didn't look too worse for wear and it sounded like he expected to play. .
Earls... Is that the bar in the Campus Towers?

Old
03-23-2009, 01:09 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Earls... Is that the bar in the Campus Towers?
Yep, much nicer now after the remodel too!

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:50 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
FOYLE! any word on Tremblay and Cuddihy? amongs any other UNB injuries?
I haven't been talking to anyone with the program since Thursday. I've been sick with a b1tch of a cold, and therefore keeping my bad germs away from them.

Day to day is all I'm hearing.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:54 PM
FreddtFoyle

I'm with Bob

It has been long discussed that coming out of the afternoon pool is an advantage to winning the UCup. I don't remember the stats, and my head hurts too much to work them out again, but I would have to agree that SMU would now be the odds-on favourite to win it all.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
Yep, much nicer now after the remodel too!
I had many a good night there when I was out for both Nationals. Great spot!!

Old
03-23-2009, 05:01 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
It has been long discussed that coming out of the afternoon pool is an advantage to winning the UCup. I don't remember the stats, and my head hurts too much to work them out again, but I would have to agree that SMU would now be the odds-on favourite to win it all.
Totally agree with the afternoon pool thing also. Especially given that the Final appears to be stupidly set at 2pm. I know that hurt us quite a bit back in '99 in Saskatoon. We ended up going to overtime the night before in a tough game and then playing against U of A at 2pm the next afternoon. I wasn't there myself then, but my father was and according to him they only ended up going to bed around 2am or so. Not the best time to do so when playing the biggest game of the year. I think the final ended up 6-2 or something. Not saying we would have won with against a much better U of A team, but it certainly could have been a much better game.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
With that said, I am very surprised the organizers, went for putting Lakehead in the Alberta/UNB Pool, unless their hands were tied, along with both of the OUA finalist in the same pool as well, I definately expected McGill to be in the UNB/Alberta Pool.
I think it was Foyle who was saying at unbhockeyfans.com....when 3 teams from one conference are at nationals the CIS regulations state that the 3rd team be seeded with the number one overall seed (in this case, Lakehead with Alberta, two years ago it was X with Moncton) while the other two teams are grouped together...so while I am sure the host committee aren't overly thrilled with putting Lakehead with UNB/Alberta I don't think there was really any choice....you can't really compromise the integrity of the seeding process just so the host team gets a better draw...sure, a little easier draw for Lakehead would be good at the gate as it is more likely they would make a good run but at the end of the day they did the worst in the playoffs of any of the 6 teams in the tournement...I don't think they should be rewarded with an easier draw for that....

Old
03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
sickest flow bro

I do agree SMU has got the luck of the draw when it comes to Pool selection, but the games still need to be played so there is no point crowning them already. These teams are used to back to back games and long travel and are in great shape. Yes it has been a long season and they are students too, but its what they do so it will be easier not having to travel for back to back games and taking a plane instead of long bus rides. This looks to be an interesting tournament and let the best team win. GO SMU GO!

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:44 PM
AUS Fan

Slight Delay

Because of the weather in the Maritimes, both SMU and UNB have cancelled flights in the morning.

This will cause some disruption in their plans because by the time there is another flight, the connections will have been missed meaning a missed practice, etc.

Old
03-23-2009, 09:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
These teams are used to back to back games and long travel and are in great shape.
Actually...the long travel probably will effect/probably hurts the AUS teams most since they only bus back and forth for games and don't fly at all (atleast for regular season games)...whereas CW fly quite abit (obviously). I don't know about the OUA though (especially since the Far East and Far West don't play). But maybe I am overstating the importance of certain teams (namely Alberta) being used to the travel as opposed to the AUS teams who, overall, have the least amount of travel of any of the three conference.

Old
03-23-2009, 09:01 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Because of the weather in the Maritimes, both SMU and UNB have cancelled flights in the morning.

This will cause some disruption in their plans because by the time there is another flight, the connections will have been missed meaning a missed practice, etc.
As if being in the night pool with Alberta and Lakehead wasn't bad enough for us UNB fans...now this haha...

Old
03-23-2009, 09:12 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
I do agree SMU has got the luck of the draw when it comes to Pool selection...
SMU did not get "lucky" in any way.
The CIS regulations specify that #2 and #3 are in Pool B, #1 is in Pool A.
If there are three teams from one conference then the 3rd place team is in Pool A and geography determines the final two placings. Lakehead is the #3 OUA team and UNB can't be in the same pool as SMU based on geography. Therefore, the pools are correct.

Old
03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
As if being in the night pool with Alberta and Lakehead wasn't bad enough for us UNB fans...now this haha...
Are there any UNB fans going up to T-Bay???

Old
03-24-2009, 06:34 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Are there any UNB fans going up to T-Bay???
I'm going with 3 others...PM me if you want to buy me a cold one

Edit: Make that 5 others that I know of...

Last edited by kexodusc: 03-24-2009 at 06:40 AM.
kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:37 AM
timbitca

I wanna go!

Old
03-24-2009, 06:43 AM
AUS Fan

(Not) Leaving on a Jet Plane

As of this moment SMU is grounded. UNB also didn't get out on their scheduled flight. I don't know their current status.

Old
03-24-2009, 06:56 AM
timbitca

That sucks. I hope you guys get out there soon, so it doesn't mess with the players schedules too much.

Old
03-24-2009, 07:06 AM
cishockeyfan

Gardiner Macdougall's comments in the paper today were, Tremblay suffered a leg injury and Cuddihy a upper body injury, and as of sunday are listed as day to day

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:18 AM
timbitca

Let's hope for UNB they both get to play. Especially Cuddihy, his first and last appeareance at Nationals, it would kind of suck if he couldn't play!