HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
03-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Bob Stauffer

vCash: 500
Props to Eric Thurston for pulling Aaron Sorochan while shorthanded and trying to get Alberta another goal when leading 2-0 late in the third in Thunder Bay tonight.
Obviously made for an interesting scenario.
Sorochan was playing his last game for the Bears and would have loved to have ended his career with a shoutout but the team has to come ahead of the individual.
The Bears went down swinging.
With today's results the games tomorrow mean nothing.
Western is not going to beat Saint Mary's by one let alone by four.
UNB will beat Lakehead as well.
And the CIS Univesity Cup format to some extent will be exposed as Sportsnet will broadcast two games that have teams; Western/ Lakehead, that have virtually no chance to advance to the final.
In the end it cannot be argued that right now the AUS has the strongest Conference.

Stauffer in Anaheim.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
Props to Eric Thurston for pulling Aaron Sorochan while shorthanded and trying to get Alberta another goal when leading 2-0 late in the third in Thunder Bay tonight.
Sorochan was playing his last game for the Bears and would have loved to have ended his career with a shoutout but the team has to come ahead of the individual.
And the CIS Univesity Cup format to some extent will be exposed as Sportsnet will broadcast two games that have teams; Western/ Lakehead, that have virtually no chance to advance to the final.
In the end it cannot be argued that right now the AUS has the strongest Conference.

Stauffer in Anaheim.
The 3 team round-robin pools have never made sense to me, just for this very reason.

I don't see why they don't add two teams and make it just like basketball and volleyball. If they did, this tournament would have Sask (the CW runner-up) and a wild-card. The wild-card could be from a playoff of the conference semi-finalists or awarded to the conference with the best record the prior year.

Hollywood3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Even if the SMU and UNB games are close, I don't see either team pulling their goalie to finish early - there is too much to lose in integrity. You play to win.

I can see the big forward for LKD giving UNB some trouble, but UNB's speed in the Off. end will drive LKD Def. nuts. Same goes for SMU over UWO.

As for more teams, this has come up before. It means more days away from school - these are student-athletes. It also increases the cost of the tournament and for those reasons it wont happen. You could argue that most teams miss the week anyways, so there is the chance for more games (you would need 7 days for a 8 team, 2x4 round robin). At least the current format is better than four teams single elimnation we use to have. I also don't know if bringing more teams means a better tournament.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

More Teams, continued

Going to eight(8) teams means you could return to a single elimination tournament (also over four days), but I don't think you will find a host when they only receive one guranteed game. It also means they are spending a lot of money on four teams that are done after one game.

This year is strange, it's rare to have Day 1 losers win on Day 2. Prior to this tournament, it's only happened 5 times in the past 11 years (5 out of a possible 22 Day 1 losers have gone on to win in game 2). Vary rare to happen twice in the same year. You olay any tournament format long enough, your bound to bump into every scenario.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Any word on Tremblay's status for tonight??

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:06 AM
AUS Fan

I'm going to say no to Tremblay playing tonight. Perhaps Dave can add more....

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:11 AM
gnosh

Day 2 game recaps ...

Picture by Mike Lavoie

Alberta 2 vs Lakehead 1

Quote:
Wolves still alive in University Cup hunt

Win by two and they`re in.

That`s the task presented to the Lakehead Thunderwolves men`s hockey team, who lost a narrow 2-1 decision to the defending Cavendish Univeristy Cup champion Alberta Golden Bears on Friday night at For t William Gardens, but remained alive in the hunt for a national title.

The same fate wasn`t reserved for the Golden Bears, who pulled their goalie in desperation in the final minute of play, up 2-0 and needing at least another goal to mathematically stay afloat ... continued
Written by: Leith Dunick

Full game Story: http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/Default.aspx

McGill 4 vs Western 3

Quote:
Redmen outrun Mustangs

The Western Mustangs are crunching the numbers to see what they need to do to earn a berth in the Cavendish University Cup final on Sunday.

After losing 4-3 to the McGill Redmen on Friday, the Mustangs know one thing for sure: if they beat the Saint Mary’s Huskies by three goals, they’re in.

However, Western coach Clarke Singer isn’t worried about mathematics at this point of the tournament ... continued
Written by Leith Dunick

Full game story: http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/Default.aspx?cid=6574

gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 12:30 PM
gnosh

Quote:

Stauffer in Anaheim.
Every game means something at the nationals … just because Alberta is going home doesn’t mean the tournament is over, there’s lots of good hockey left.

And what makes you think a Lakehead/UNB game being broadcast on Sportsnet can’t be entertaining? Or an SMU/Western game? Why don’t we just have one game a year then, UNB vs Alberta, why bother with the rest … what may not be exciting to you, may be exciting to someone else. I think most hockey fans would be happy to see ANY CIS hockey from the University Cup being televised, regardless of who’s playing …

gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
While I do think UNB will win it is certainly no sure thing....I am sure most people wouldn't have expected UNB to be up 5-1 over Alberta after one period and look what happened...you stil have to play the games and anything can happen...

And I agree with gnosh...any CIS hockey that is televised is a good thing, regardless of who is playing...

Old
03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
nosl

CIS = Impressed

I attended the first two games of the tournament in Thunder Bay. I must say that I am very impressed with the calibre of play.

The presentation of the tournament very good too. The Fort William Gardens is a fine building. I was disappointed being unable to watch a Lakehead game, however, the experience was well worth the trip.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 03:20 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
While I do think UNB will win it is certainly no sure thing....I am sure most people wouldn't have expected UNB to be up 5-1 over Alberta after one period and look what happened...you stil have to play the games and anything can happen...

And I agree with gnosh...any CIS hockey that is televised is a good thing, regardless of who is playing...
Is there any way that UNB can lose to Lakehead by 2 and still make it to the finals?

SuperSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 03:28 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
Is there any way that UNB can lose to Lakehead by 2 and still make it to the finals?
Not that I am aware of...atleast no realistic scenario.

Btw...UWO is taking it to SMU right now, up 5-2...if they hold on they are in the finals..SMU looks absolutely deflated right now but are going on the PP...

Old
03-28-2009, 03:50 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Wow wow wow....6 unanswered goals, including 5 in the 3rd, for UWO to send the Mustangs to the finals...what more can you say about that game?? Crazy...SMU's PP really let them down today (0-7 I think) and the big 5 weren't terribly effective...I guess it was bound to catch up with them sooner or later. The Mustangs suddenly become a very very dangerous team tomorrow with all the confidence/momentum in the world...

Old
03-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Rob

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 03:51 PM
STUTOMMIES

What the h e double hockey stick just happened????????????

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 03:57 PM
SuperSquirrel

Who would have guessed? That's why we love this game!

SuperSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:04 PM
cishockeyfan

Wow, what a game by the Western Ontario Mustangs, I am indeed impressed. I think SMU's inexperience at the Nationals and likely taking another Ontario team lightly may have cost them the most. But Western was outstanding, their penalty kill was A+ and their coach definately had their players prepared

With that said anything could happen tonight, Lakehead has a great team and they are in their own barn. Go Vreds!!!! Hope Tremblay is in, cause this isn't a game to take lightly

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:04 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

As long as it's the only upset of the day I'll be happy...hopefully UNB takes lessons from this game and plays their game for a full 60 minutes regardless of the score...it just seemed SMU were abit tentative and were almost too happy just to keep it close as opposed to going all out to win...once UWO got going SMU couldn't turn it back on and just collapsed...

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 03-28-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old
03-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Squirrel Forever

Quote:
Western is not going to beat Saint Mary's by one let alone by four. In the end it cannot be argued that right now the AUS has the strongest Conference.

Stauffer in Anaheim.
It could have easily been me saying this. I am shocked. SMU looked dog tired, and Western just got more and more energy.

I am STUNNED.

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:26 PM
TomBull

Squirrel if your stunned then I find this unbelievable! Holy Crap.

Is this Rancourts and Hothams last year at SMU?

TomBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:32 PM
PanniniClaus

This is a down year for the AUS. I was at game three of UNB V SMU and SMU were smaller and slower up front but took advantage of some really poor play from UNB. I am not at all surprised SMU lost. First time in a while Ontario have been in with a chance.

If UNB can keep it together they should be able to win. I do not exactly have a boatload of confidence in Fullerton.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

They are both 4th years I do believe...I don't know who on their team is out of eligibility...

Old
03-28-2009, 04:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
This is a down year for the AUS. I was at game three of UNB V SMU and SMU were smaller and slower up front but took advantage of some really poor play from UNB. I am not at all surprised SMU lost. First time in a while Ontario have been in with a chance.
I'm not entirely surprised they lost (UWO is in the tournement for a reason)..but I am shocked they lost 7-2 after being up 2-1 (and being tied going into the 3rd)..

Old
03-28-2009, 04:51 PM
AUShockeyfan

Wow Bob "Total Hockey" I guess you are trying to pull your foot out of your mouth at this time lol, stating "With today's results the games tomorrow mean nothing.
Western is not going to beat Saint Mary's by one let alone by four." In all fairness I think the vast majority here, myself included, shared the same sentiment you had. And the much milined (sp?) PP of the Huskies was not ticking whatsoever.

Question directed to those at the game - watching on TV, it appeared the puck was skipping all over the place occasionally, was or is the ice bad there?

AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:02 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
As long as it's the only upset of the day I'll be happy...hopefully UNB takes lessons from this game and plays their game for a full 60 minutes regardless of the score...it just seemed SMU were abit tentative and were almost too happy just to keep it close as opposed to going all out to win...once UWO got going SMU couldn't turn it back on and just collapsed...
Amen to that one....UNB had better beware.....SMU tried to protect a lead and once Western got the momemtum, it was game over....Huskies couldn't recover.........suddenly, they looked tired....very sad and feeling very bad for Trevor who is such a passionate guy......but putting it in perspective, it's a hockey game and you learn from misfortune.....SMU should be proud of a tremendous season...you can't take that away from them....

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote