HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
03-28-2009, 05:17 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
The ice is not great here. Snow builds up quickly.

I helped do the broadcast and I'm still digesting the meltdown in the third period.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

TV Timeouts

Dave - I would have thought the TV timeouts would have helped SMU (UWO would be forced to take a break). Both of these coaches have been to Nationals before (more than 5 years) - did they make any noticable changes given TV timeouts? Gardiner has the most recent expereince having lead the team in 4 TV apperances in the past 2 years.

I left for dinner with SMY up 2-1 - I can't believe it.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:34 PM
FreddtFoyle

I'm not sure what effect the TV timeouts had ... all i know is that SMU looked flat all game and their power play was impotent, so give some credit to UWO's penalty kill.

Trevor did use his TV timouts in the third period to talk about plays and talk to the boys ... but it didn't seem to work.

I still have now answer to what I witnessed.

Old
03-28-2009, 05:43 PM
FreddtFoyle

No roster changes for tonight for UNB

I thought Gardiner might slide McCutheon against the more physical ThunderWolves but he is going with the same UNB roster as against Alberta.

Old
03-28-2009, 05:43 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I figured as much...might as well not mess with success

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Solid game from UNB tonight...the PK and goaltending were great...I am a little concerned with how much the top two lines played though considering an afternoon final tomorrow...but I suppose they had to make sure to get through this one first...on the other hand, UWO will be playing their 3rd game in 3 days...

Old
03-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Bob Stauffer

Flew in from Anaheim today and was stunned to hear the Saint Mary's crapped the bed against Western.
Credit to Western; but c'mon how many of you really thought the Mustangs could make up the goal differential after Saint Mary's handled McGill and the RedMen beat UWO?
The Lakehead-UNB game went as expected.
The V-Reds were the superior team and showed it.
Frankly I thought Lakehead would show more; they don't seem to have the same moxie that Pete Beliveau's team did in 2005-06 when they upset Acadia and Saskatchewan and hung around with Alberta in the final.
A few of Lakehead's players also have broadcaster bodies which is never a good thing when you are in your early to mid-20's.
UNB will claim their second National title in the last three years tomorrow afternoon; and when that happens an argument could be made that the real final MAY have been played on Thursday night...with Alberta not being prepared to face a very good team looking for redemption that night.

Bob Stauffer
Oilers Radio Network

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:10 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
UNB will claim their second National title in the last three years tomorrow afternoon
So..UNB has just been jinxed haha jk

Old
03-28-2009, 09:21 PM
AUShockeyfan

Fullerton was solid in nets tonight, hopefully a positive omen for the VReds heading into tomorrow's final. Hulshof is garb.., er, inconsistent - surprise surprise How can an AUS official do a semi final game when an AUS team is involved?
Being from the London area, will be rooting for the Purple and White to pull off the upset. Suffice to say, if the Mustangs can score 5 in the third against SMU - anything's possible.

And had to laugh at the comment re/ a couple Lakehead players having broadcasters bodies; was thinking the same

AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:21 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Solid game from UNB tonight...the PK and goaltending were great...I am a little concerned with how much the top two lines played though considering an afternoon final tomorrow...but I suppose they had to make sure to get through this one first...on the other hand, UWO will be playing their 3rd game in 3 days...
Don't underestimate the rest of TV timeouts. There were three each period, and Gardiner MacDougall adjusts his line to take advantage of them. He's been there before and he knows what the horses can take ... and the benefits of three, two-minute breaks every period.

Old
03-28-2009, 09:24 PM
AUShockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Don't underestimate the rest of TV timeouts. There were three each period, and Gardiner MacDougall adjusts his line to take advantage of them. He's been there before and he knows what the horses can take ... and the benefits of three, two-minute breaks every period.

Speaking of horses, any word on how many minutes Bailey had tonight?

AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:24 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Him and Dickson had to have been out there 25+...atleast it seemed that way.

Old
03-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Rob

Any change Tremblay will be back for tomorrow?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Island Husky

Whereas I should let AUS Fan do the talking first for hard SMU supporters, he is like me, probably straining to keep his head up off the floor. I'll refrain from saying what I really think about Saint Mary's today. I don't care what they did in the regular season, I do know I saw the same things several times this season that came out this afternoon. We did not learn that lesson after multiple multiple chances and this was the result we all feared. I will say this and you can read between the lines. Bob Total Hockey was quite right, none of us thought that possible. Even as it became more and more of a reality in the third, I still thought we might pull something out. Hats off to Western, what a band of Ironmen, much like I saw this evening later with the UNB and Lakehead warriors going at it to the very end. I saw courage and plenty of it. Your best players did what they needed to do, what the other guys on the team look for them to do, ESPECIALLY at the Nationals, ESPECIALLY. Sorry I cannot overemphasize that. It is like we sold our soul for all the personal awards. Good luck tomorrow guys, you both deserve it, too bad someone has to lose.
Rancourt is in his fourth year as is Scott Hotham, Andrew Hotham, third year. Scott Hotham has stated publicly he is moving on, Rancourt is unsure. He is also an academic All Canadian, which is the most valuable redemption I can think of right now. I think a few other giant hearts like Johnny Howse and Power may be fourth, there a host of second and third, including some of their scoring prowess, Fergus and Thornton. But so are a lot of others on other teams, and we are fast running out of championship years.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:01 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Any change Tremblay will be back for tomorrow?
Ummm ... no.

Old
03-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Going to eight(8) teams means you could return to a single elimination tournament (also over four days), but I don't think you will find a host when they only receive one guranteed game. It also means they are spending a lot of money on four teams that are done after one game.

This year is strange, it's rare to have Day 1 losers win on Day 2. Prior to this tournament, it's only happened 5 times in the past 11 years (5 out of a possible 22 Day 1 losers have gone on to win in game 2). Vary rare to happen twice in the same year. You olay any tournament format long enough, your bound to bump into every scenario.
After this year's results, I expect to see TV push for a revised format. The TV stations would rather sell semi-finals on Saturday and a final on Sunday. (They in fact wrongfully billed Saturday's games as semi-finals.)

I know it is rare for teams that lose to bounce back and win. That's because it is almost impossible to wibn a pool at 1-1. The fact that the Urban Cowboys did it this year and the Evil Monkeys did it last year will supply us all with trivia questions for years to come.

Basketball and volleyball have no trouble sending 8 teams to nationals and have no problem getting hosts. I say put all these sports on even footing. The time has come.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 06:26 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
Whereas I should let AUS Fan do the talking first for hard SMU supporters, he is like me, probably straining to keep his head up off the floor. I'll refrain from saying what I really think about Saint Mary's today. I don't care what they did in the regular season, I do know I saw the same things several times this season that came out this afternoon. We did not learn that lesson after multiple multiple chances and this was the result we all feared. I will say this and you can read between the lines. Bob Total Hockey was quite right, none of us thought that possible. Even as it became more and more of a reality in the third, I still thought we might pull something out. Hats off to Western, what a band of Ironmen, much like I saw this evening later with the UNB and Lakehead warriors going at it to the very end. I saw courage and plenty of it. Your best players did what they needed to do, what the other guys on the team look for them to do, ESPECIALLY at the Nationals, ESPECIALLY. Sorry I cannot overemphasize that. It is like we sold our soul for all the personal awards. Good luck tomorrow guys, you both deserve it, too bad someone has to lose.
Rancourt is in his fourth year as is Scott Hotham, Andrew Hotham, third year. Scott Hotham has stated publicly he is moving on, Rancourt is unsure. He is also an academic All Canadian, which is the most valuable redemption I can think of right now. I think a few other giant hearts like Johnny Howse and Power may be fourth, there a host of second and third, including some of their scoring prowess, Fergus and Thornton. But so are a lot of others on other teams, and we are fast running out of championship years.
You feel bad for a guy like Rancourt, who sounded very much like an All-Academic All Canaidan when he addressed the media following this debacle.....he talked about passive and active and said that when the roof started caving in, the Huskies were standing there more in disbelief and shock when they should have gotten refocused and done something about it. This is a team that went into that game knowing they had a two-goal lead and the mindset was to protect the league. When it was 2-2, they thought the game was over. Give credit to Western. They seized the momentum and suddenly, there were a group of deer disguised as hockey players staring right into the bright lights of a national championship tournament. The Huskies are a solid team and have had a great year. But they lacked when it counted the most. So sad for those "few'' AUS fans in Halifax who live and die with the Huskies.

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 06:29 AM
austrooper

[QUOTE=Rob;18760601]Any change Tremblay will be back for tomorrow?[/QUOTE

Rob: people talked about UNB's depth all season. Remember when Jim Cuddihy stepped in right from the get-go with Todd went out, and then Dickson went out, and then Pearce went out, and so on. Tremblay is just part of the puzzle. It's about the team and no team exudes that more than UNB. The parts are interchangeable. Tremblay providing leadership behind the scenes to be sure. Players have bought into this whole mind-set and kudos to MacDougall and Co. for making it work.

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 08:02 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

[QUOTE=austrooper;18765158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Any change Tremblay will be back for tomorrow?[/QUOTE

Rob: people talked about UNB's depth all season. Remember when Jim Cuddihy stepped in right from the get-go with Todd went out, and then Dickson went out, and then Pearce went out, and so on. Tremblay is just part of the puzzle. It's about the team and no team exudes that more than UNB. The parts are interchangeable. Tremblay providing leadership behind the scenes to be sure. Players have bought into this whole mind-set and kudos to MacDougall and Co. for making it work.
All very true...UNB has had great depth the second half of the season (with the injured guys coming back and the addition of Lynes and McCutcheon at the break), probably the most depth I can ever remember them having...all that said though, Tremblay is a huge huge part of the puzzle (maybe the biggest piece) and no one can replace his production, both offensively and on the PK....I am shocked they have even made it this far without him quite honestly...he not only makes the top line better but he also makes all the other lines better to because when he is in there Dickson moves down to the 2nd line, Lynes/MacIntosh/whoever to the 3rd line, Clendenning/Campbell/whoever to the 4th line...

Old
03-29-2009, 08:03 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
After this year's results, I expect to see TV push for a revised format. The TV stations would rather sell semi-finals on Saturday and a final on Sunday. (They in fact wrongfully billed Saturday's games as semi-finals.)
Me to, I also wouldn't be surprised to see them look at some of the tie breakers

Old
03-29-2009, 08:11 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
Theoretically SMU could return their entire team as they don't have any guys in their 5th year according to their media guide...4th year guys include: Tyler Noye, Jon Howse, Colin Power, Scott Hotham, Marc Rancourt, Jasen Awalt, and James Barbour. Andrew Hotham is in his second year, elgibility-wise anyways. Rancourt has to get a pro offer from somewhere, doesn't he?!?

Old
03-29-2009, 08:22 AM
cishockeyfan

[QUOTE=UNB Bruins Fan;18765384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post

All very true...UNB has had great depth the second half of the season (with the injured guys coming back and the addition of Lynes and McCutcheon at the break), probably the most depth I can ever remember them having...all that said though, Tremblay is a huge huge part of the puzzle (maybe the biggest piece) and no one can replace his production, both offensively and on the PK....I am shocked they have even made it this far without him quite honestly...he not only makes the top line better but he also makes all the other lines better to because when he is in there Dickson moves down to the 2nd line, Lynes/MacIntosh/whoever to the 3rd line, Clendenning/Campbell/whoever to the 4th line...
Totally agree with this, Tremblay is not only a great scorer but, heplays hard on both sides of the puck, he finishes his checks, he is missed. But its great to see the depth and the team play together

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard them say (a few times) that they weren't semis but may as well have been.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 08:30 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Rancourt has to get a pro offer from somewhere, doesn't he?!?
Word is that unlike with Rob Hennigar this time last year, no NHL organizations are pursuing Rancourt. That being said, he'll certainly get a minor pro offer, the question is at what level. The knock against Rancourt is his skating.

Old
03-29-2009, 08:40 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard them say (a few times) that they weren't semis but may as well have been.
The CIS promotes them as "semi-finals", as usually they end up functioning that way, even though of course they are the final round robin games of the pools. That didn't work this year, and there has been talk among the CIS people here that maybe they need to change some things -- they've never had two teams win on Friday but be eliminated due to the tie-breaking formula. So there's lot of chatter here about change, but it's what happens at coaches and CIS meetings down the road that matter.

We spooked the CIS when we talked to them about the futility of possible overtimes in the two Saturday games. Thanks to their +/- edge both UNB and SMU could have gone into overtimes in their games, already be slotted into the final, and still have to waste their time and energy playing to determine a winner. One idea might be just to go to an immediate shoot-out, as happened at a Pete Kelly Cup tournament championship game one time between UNB and SMU. We'll see if they ever modify the tournament rules ...