HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
03-29-2009, 09:23 AM
SuperSquirrel

vCash: 500
UNB vs. WO

Just a quick question for all the UNB fans here in Freddy... does anyone know of any place here in the City (pub, sports bar, etc.) that will be broadcasting today's game?

SuperSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM
gnosh

Day 3 game recaps ...

Picture by Mike Lavoie

Western 7 vs SMU 2
Quote:
Mustangs in finals

The Western Mustangs hadn’t had much luck at Fort William Gardens this season, losing all three games they’d played.

That streak ended in timely fashion on Saturday afternoon in a dominating 7-2 thrashing of the No. 2 seed Saint Mary’s Huskies that vaulted the Mustangs in the Cavendish University Cup final on Sunday afternoon.

Western rode a five-goal third period to the win, a comeback for the ages for a team that had to win by three or more goals to advance ... continued
Written by By Leith Dunick
Full game story link: http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/Default.aspx?cid=6620

Picture by Mike Lavoie

UNB 3 vs Lakehead 1
Quote:

Game Over

The Lakehead Thunderwolves proved they could hang with the top two teams in the nation, but they just didn’t have the firepower or speed to put them away.

The outgunned Wolves dropped a nail-biting 3-1 decision to the No. 4 seed University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds on Saturday night at Fort William Gardens, ending their third trip to the national men’s hockey championship and sending their opponent to Sunday’s final against OUA rival Western.

David Bowman, Kyle Bailey and captain Dustin Friesen scored the goals for UNB, while goaltender Travis Fullerton, who was tested occasionally by the Thunderwolves, did the rest, turning aside 30 shots to preserve the win.

Andy Zulyniak replied for Lakehead in the final minute of the game.

... continued
written by Leith Dunick
Full game story link: http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/Default.aspx?cid=6623

University Cup championship game:
March 29 2pm EST Western Ontario vs UNB (Rogers Sportsnet / SSN Canada Webcast)

gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
Just a quick question for all the UNB fans here in Freddy... does anyone know of any place here in the City (pub, sports bar, etc.) that will be broadcasting today's game?
I know the Social Club has shown the games the last couple times they were in the finals...but where this year is an afternoon final I have no idea....should just call around...maybe Boston Pizza/East Sides??

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:03 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
The CIS promotes them as "semi-finals", as usually they end up functioning that way, even though of course they are the final round robin games of the pools. That didn't work this year, and there has been talk among the CIS people here that maybe they need to change some things -- they've never had two teams win on Friday but be eliminated due to the tie-breaking formula. So there's lot of chatter here about change, but it's what happens at coaches and CIS meetings down the road that matter.
I don't know...I mean this is the first time it has happened it what? A dozen years or whatever...wouldn't changing the whole format and structure of the tournement over one instance since 1998 be a bit of an over reaction. Atleast that's one way to look at it...

Old
03-29-2009, 12:20 PM
timbitca

Happened last year too, sort of. Us losing to McGill on Saturday caused Alberta who hadn't played since Friday to make it to the Finals and then winning the Cup.

As for Rancourt, I know Bob was trying to get him a contract in the Swiss league, but now that he's going over there to coach himself, he may leave him here instead of having to deal with him overseas again, hahaha.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
timbitca

Good to see Hunter Tremblay in the game this afternoon.

Old
03-29-2009, 03:33 PM
timbitca

MacIntosh just scored... 4 - 2 final for UNB. Congrats V-Reds on winning the CIS Championship!

So, when is the next season starting? I'm bored already.

Old
03-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Bob Stauffer

Congrats UNB

The best team won.
See ya next year

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:47 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Man...how about the heart showed by Western the last two games...never gave up and almost pulled out another remarkable victory today...hats off to them, they are a young team and should be very good again next year. As for UNB...we ripped on their PK and goaltending all year but they really stepped up when it counted most this weekend.

Old
03-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Island Husky

[QUOTE=austrooper;18765158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Any change Tremblay will be back for tomorrow?[/QUOTE

Rob: people talked about UNB's depth all season. Remember when Jim Cuddihy stepped in right from the get-go with Todd went out, and then Dickson went out, and then Pearce went out, and so on. Tremblay is just part of the puzzle. It's about the team and no team exudes that more than UNB. The parts are interchangeable. Tremblay providing leadership behind the scenes to be sure. Players have bought into this whole mind-set and kudos to MacDougall and Co. for making it work.
Amen to that. and the way the younger guys respond to the leadership

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Much better game and tournament than I expected it to be.

Congrats to the Reds, and hopefully Western will remain a force to be reckoned with next year.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 04:10 PM
AUShockeyfan

Congratulations to the UNB Varsity Reds on a stellar reg. season, and CIS tournament. Lachlan MacIntosh and Travis Fullerton - two MJAHL alumnus, were the stories for this poster.

And congrats to Western on a "successful" CIS tournament - showed a ton of heart, courage, and character to hang with two elite CIS teams the way they did. Wouldn't be surprised to see a UWO/UdeM final in two to three yrs....

AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 04:16 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

[QUOTE=Island Husky;18769702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post

Amen to that. and the way the younger guys respond to the leadership
Yeah...there has been alot of mention around campus/in the local newspapers the last two years about how much leadership there is on the team (there are numerous former CHL captains on the team)....I think it was Bailey who said last year that he had never been on a team with that much leadership in the locker room....it's one thing to see your team/school win but when the guys who win are genuine and all around nice guys it makes it that much sweeter and makes you that much prouder to go to that school...

Old
03-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Rob

What was great about this victory is it came less than 24hrs after they made it into the final. It definitely took a lot of adversity to win this game.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
MacIntosh just scored... 4 - 2 final for UNB. Congrats V-Reds on winning the CIS Championship!

So, when is the next season starting? I'm bored already.
Yeah I hear ya! Well I guess it's time to start thinking already about next year. I am excited to see who lands the stud recruits. Winning the CIS championship and hosting nationals should make UNB's recruiting a little easier. Congratulations to UNB and all the fans!!!

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 09:47 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post
Yeah I hear ya! Well I guess it's time to start thinking already about next year. I am excited to see who lands the stud recruits. Winning the CIS championship and hosting nationals should make UNB's recruiting a little easier. Congratulations to UNB and all the fans!!!
My message to Timbit: put on the baseball cap and prepare for another major league season. It's time to think warm weather and summer stuff for a change.

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
PrarieSniper

Has there been a better captain in CIS history than Dustin Friesen? 3 years as captain, 3 years in the final, 2 National Championships. Hard to argue against him. And an even better guy who you can tell his teammates love.

PrarieSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:01 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrarieSniper View Post
Has there been a better captain in CIS history than Dustin Friesen? 3 years as captain, 3 years in the final, 2 National Championships. Hard to argue against him. And an even better guy who you can tell his teammates love.
And he has a Universiade gold medal in that span to...I said it earlier and I will say it again, it is going to be some weird watching them next year without him...I would love to see him stick around the program in some capacity for another year...it will be interesting to see who they tab as his successor...whoever it is, they are going to have some big skates to fill...

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 03-30-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
I gotta say, I talked up his patience and how he's also so cool, calm and collected to friends and family all season long, and that play in the paint was just the perfect demonstration.

Old
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Our current assistant coach in Remi Levesque could make a case for this claim, in his three years as captain of Les Aigles Bleus in the early 80's he had 3 ASIA titles and 2 CIAU titles, to go along with another ASIA title in his first year with Les Aigles where he wasn't captain.

But I'm sure there are some candidates out west that have a pretty good track record also.

Old
03-30-2009, 10:35 AM
gnosh

Day 4 - Championship Day

UNB Varsity Reds win the University Cup!

Photo by Mike Lavoie

UNB 4 vs Western 2

Quote:
UNB Captures Cup

If at first you donít succeed, try, try, try again.

The No. 4 University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds, runners-up a year ago at the CIS menís national championship, captured their second title in three seasons on Sunday at the Fort William Gardens, riding Cavendish University Cup MVP Lachlan MacIntoshís three-goal performance to a 4-2 win over the No. 3 Western Mustangs.

An elated McIntosh, fresh off a lengthy on-ice celebration that saw the team pass around the coveted trophy, whooping it up like schoolboys, juggling swear words and jubilation, their emotions pouring down their white and red jerseys, was unsure what to say when asked what he was feeling when the aging clock struck zero and the title was theirs.

"Itís probably an indescribable feeling," said MacIntosh, who scored the opener with a minute left in the first, a period that saw the Varsity Reds out-shoot Western by a 10-1 margin. The Mustangs lone shot came with less than a minute to play in the frame.

"Really, you dream about it all season, but when it actually happens, itís just unbelievable. Iím just so happy I could experience it with the team we have here," he said.

The third-year forward, a native of Perth-Andover, N.B. and a graduate of the Woodstock Slammers of the Maritime Junior A Hockey League, said growing up he never dreamed he would be the hero in a national championship game.

continued ...
Full game story link: http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/Default.aspx
Written by Leith Dunick

Game Stats:

SCORING SUMMARY
No. 4 UNB 4, No. 3 Western Ontario 2

FIRST PERIOD
SCORING:
1. UNB Lachlan MacIntosh (3) (unassisted) 18:58
PENALTIES:
Dion Campbell (UNB) interference, 4:06;
Yashar Farmanara (UWO) hooking, 9:31;
Adam Nemeth (UWO) tripping, 12:57.

SECOND PERIOD
SCORING:
2. UNB John Scott Dickson (1) (David Bowman, Jonathon Harty) 1:02
3. UWO Patrick Ouellet (1) (Joe McCann) 8:57
PENALTIES:
Ryan Seymour (UNB) tripping, 12:15.

THIRD PERIOD
SCORING:
4. UWO Kevin Baker (3) (Jeffery Martens, Jason Furlong) 1:13
5. UNB Lachlan MacIntosh (4) (Kyle Bailey, Jimmy Cuddihy) 10:24
6. UNB Lachlan MacIntosh (5) (Kyle Bailey) 19:14 EN
PENALTIES:
Geoff Killing (UWO) tripping, 1:43;
Lachlan MacIntosh (UNB) tripping, 11:23;
Bretton Stamler (UNB) hooking, 16:40.

GOALS (by period)
UNB: 1-1-2:4
UWO: 0-1-1:2

SHOTS ON GOAL (by period)
UNB: 10-10-17:37
UWO: 1-18-11:30

POWER PLAY:
UNB: 0-3
UWO: 0-4

GOALTENDERS
UNB - Travis Fullerton (W, 3-0, 30 shots, 28 saves, 2 GA, 60:00)
UWO - Brad Topping (L, 1-2, 36 shots, 33 saves, 3 GA, 59:13)
UWO - Empty net (1 shot, 1 GA, 0:47)

PLAYERS OF THE GAME:
UNB: Lachlan MacIntosh
UWO: Joe McCann

REFEREE: Derek Zalaski
LINESMEN: Nigel Black, Matt Traub

ATTENDANCE: 2,715

UNIVERSITY CUP CHAMPIONSHIP ALL-STARS
MVP: Lachlan MacIntosh, UNB
All-Star Team:
Goaltender: Travis Fullerton, UNB
Defence: Dustin Friesen, UNB
Defence: Chris Petrow, Western
Forward: Lachlan MacIntosh, UNB
Forward: Kyle Bailey, UNB
Forward: Joe McCann, Western

gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
blackmarketmob

Wow, what a tournament! That was a great way to spend my weekend! I was so happy to be able to watch Western/SMU, Lakehaed/UNB and the Western/UNB final. Congratulations to UNB, their depth was something I have not seen to that degree all year. That Western comeback against SMU was an absolute stunner, after the first two periods, but wildly entertaining. As a fan of OUA hockey, but more importantly, fair hockey, and equality amongst conferences, I hope this tournament, and specifically, the effort by Western, shows a stronger future from OUA hockey. It may not. It could just be one team who strung together 2 solid games, one of which was an improbable third period run, but I hope nonetheless. At the beginning of the year, the first time I watched Western play, I took a look at thier roster, and saw 9 first year players, 6 of whom played major junior, and 14 total players who played major junior in their lineup, and I was worried that this team would be really strong in the future (bad news for my Laurier team, who have a total of 9 players who played major junior). I had no idea they would have the success they did so fast. I guess my question to everyone would be, as a new CIS fan, why are the AUS and CW so dominant? I have heard that it is because they are able to offer athletic scholarships, something that is not offered here perhaps? I'm reall not up to date on this stuff. I believe that the WHL introduced scholarships whereby I you receive roughly a full year of education for every full year played in the WHL, and my buddy's brother who currently plays in the OHL, said that he is paid via "school money," which led me to assume that the OHL/QMJHL offer a similar deal now (or have always). Most of the players out west seem to have played their hockey there, but out east, there is a large number who are from Ontario originally. I noticed some guys like Rancourt, the Hothams, Rob Hennigar from last year, Hunter Tremblay etc are from Ontario. Actually, looking at UNB 2007-2008, a list of the top 16 scorers on the team shows 2 are actually from the Maritimes, with a few from out west, the rest being from Ontario. With CHL scholarships, and education now being paid for (or at least partially), do you think more players are less likely to look around for "scholarships" and maybe stay closer to home, or shop around without worrying about money so much? If so, do you think this could lead to a more equal division of strength throughout the CIS, and more dangerous teams from the OUA? Or has this CHL/CIS relationship been around for a while in its curent form and my argument falls completely flat? I know this argument would not take into account Junior A/B players either. What do you think?

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 01:31 PM
AUShockeyfan

I recall during an Eastlink (maritime TV network) telecast of an Acadia game, one of the intermission interviews was with Christopher Bruton, a first year player from Calgary - and he stated one of the reasons he came out east to play his CIS Hockey was, simply put, due to the quality of AUS Hockey as compared to other conferences throughout the CIS. The AUS held at least 3 if not 4 spots (UNB/SMU/UdeM/X was in and out - same can be said for Acadia and UPEI) in the top 10 during the regular season. Re/ "scholarships" offered by Q/O/W teams, I've heard the same things that you had indicated - in fact, rumor has it the Mooseheads have offered upwards of 15K to some of their players for educations purposes. I am not sure if this would be considered an astonishing amount of education money or not, but would think this would be a very attractive offer for any Major Junior draftee humming and hawwing over keeping their NCAA eligiblity or staying in Canada to play MJ then onto CIS Hockey; this concept alledgedly worked on Steven Anthony of the Saint John Seadogs as he was apparently heading to Prep in the US then likely NCAA, but the Seadogs upped the ante by offering a lucrative education package. Just speaking on what I've heard/learned talking with some folks at the rink(s). No doubt some of the experts on here can speak to this more in depth and more accurately.

As an aside, I am very new to CIS Hockey like yourself, and have enjoyed the season immensley. Like Peter Loubardis said, this is Canada's best kept secret as it relates to Hockey.

AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Espher

Question related to the game that someone can hopefully answer from me that was there -- why was icing waved off on the play that eventually led to the first Western goal? I didn't see any of the usual suspects when it happened and on the reply (and neither did the Sportsnet guys, either), so I was curious if there was something the camera angle caused me to miss.

Old
03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
kexodusc

Well I just got back from Thunder Bay, and had a chance to read up on this thread.

This was my 5th tournament in the last 7 years. I'm starting to get hooked on the format. It is exciting. It is unpredictable and that is good. There's flaws in any format - in many years we can argue the top 6 teams in Canada don't always go, just the top teams from each conference + host/rotating births. That is a problem but it is equalized by distributing the rotating births fairly so I have no problem with that.

Even the Memorial Cup has had its share of tie-breaker pains. Bottom line, we can make excuses every year, but there's never been a CIS champion that didn't have to beat at least 2 tough opponents along the way to win the Championship.

If I had two complaints about the tournament they'd be as follows:
1) The lack of single tickets sold. Judging by the conversations I had, the fans' knowledge of CIS hockey and their enthusiam is at least as good as UNB's, and probably why Lakehead leads the CIS in attendance. It's a lot more fun to go into that environment, too bad the building wasn't full, I know it wasn't for lack of demand. I feel bad for possible Western or UNB alumni in the area who might have made the final game if not for the need to buy a 7 game package...
2) Short turnaround Sunday - I though both teams looked a bit depleted. By the 2nd period UNB was on empty and playing with adrenaline or whatever. They looked ready to collapse when they got back to the hotel. I know that the TV time is more important and a worthy sacrifice, but hopefully we can have our cake and eat it too in the future.

I'll say it again - I think it's time some of us give the top 3 or 4 teams from the OUA some credit. Sure there's a lot of cannon fodder out there that inflates the win/loss and stats columns, but in the last 3 years I've seen a few good OUA teams, here's a few that come to mind:
1) Laurier who pulled off a win against an experienced, tough StFX team
2) Laurier push an extremely good Moncton team to the limit.
3) A very young UQTR team find a way to beat Saskatchewan.
4) A McGill team that was caught off guard in its first game bounces back with nothing to play for but pride, and skates with another pretty good Moncton team to hold on for a win
5) This year's Western team was IMO at least as good as the Saskatchewan teams UNB played the last 2 years.
6) Lakehead skated with 2 of the top 3 teams in Canada, even if on home ice, and those games were fairly close. Take the #3 team from the AUS or CW on home ice, have UNB and Alberta roll into town one weekend and see how they do...it's not unreasonable to expect similar results.

Big thanks to Gnosh, who I got to share a cold one with, and who pointed out some things about Thunder Bay, Lakehead and Western's players to me.

Had lots of fun, hope to make it back next year.

Last edited by kexodusc: 03-30-2009 at 02:05 PM.
kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote