HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
03-30-2009, 03:02 PM
kexodusc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Question related to the game that someone can hopefully answer from me that was there -- why was icing waved off on the play that eventually led to the first Western goal? I didn't see any of the usual suspects when it happened and on the reply (and neither did the Sportsnet guys, either), so I was curious if there was something the camera angle caused me to miss.
I've seen this in the NHL a few times too - a few of the UNB players let up once they thought it was going - I think the officials can waive off any icing if they don't feel the players within reach are playing for it. It's a tough call either way I guess. If they call that icing, Western probably complains that UNB's defenders could have reached it.

kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I think it can be said that the top teams in the OUA can hang with the top teams in the AUS and CW most years...I think maybe it's because there are so many teams in the OUA and the fact that the difference between the best teams and the worst teams is greater than in AUS and CW (understandble given the number of teams) help give the overall quality of the conference a bad reputation....

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 03-30-2009 at 04:40 PM.
UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yeah I have no idea why they couldn't have sold individual tickets, especially for the finals...probably cost them tons of money...why couldn't they have sold a 7 game package for 120 or whatever and sold individual tickets for 20-25 each...that would be a savings of 20-55 if you buy the package...or even make it 30/game to give people even more incentive to buy a package, but atleast have the single game option there...where they too concerned that by selling individual tickets that they would have sold hardly any packages?? I am sure this is something that will be looked at and corrected next year though...

Old
03-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
I've seen this in the NHL a few times too - a few of the UNB players let up once they thought it was going - I think the officials can waive off any icing if they don't feel the players within reach are playing for it. It's a tough call either way I guess. If they call that icing, Western probably complains that UNB's defenders could have reached it.
Yeah, that was the only possible thing I thought about, although from the camera angle I didn't see a let up and it seemed to be well past anyone before it was waved off.

Thanks for the info from what was likely a better perspective.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 08:19 PM
gnosh

Tournament thoughts ..

Firstly, I would like to congratulate UNB on a very well played University Cup … they were the best team and deserved the Championship. UNB was the most aggressive and hard working team in the tournament. It was the second and third effort of the UNB forecheck that created the scoring chance on the winning goal against Western, they just never quit.

Hats off to Western as well … they played with a lot of heart in their last two games and left everything on the ice.

It was tough trip for SMU, we’ll just leave it at that …

I think overall the tournament was very successful. Putting the ticket debacle aside I think the games were well attended, even the afternoon games seemed to draw good crowds. Every team competed hard which made every game exciting and, important (no meaningless games in this one). Now, this is only my first University Cup so I have nothing to compare it to, but I can see why people would travel to see it.

Lakehead was in a rough spot facing the top two teams in the country. They also hadn’t played a game in over a month which didn’t help things either. I’m at a bit of a loss as to the ‘hands of stone’ they had around the net though. Players like Soares and McPherson rarely miss on the kinds chances they were given. That being said they don’t very often play against such an aggressive forecheck as UNB was throwing around either. Whitley was the star for Lakehead, again, keeping the team alive as the offense struggled. All things considered, I think they did ok against two very tough opponents.

Lakehead will lose 7 seniors this year and will need good recruiting in order to build for next year’s nationals. The biggest loss will be goalie Chris Whitley, he will be hard to replace.

Because Thunder Bay is so isolated we don’t very often get fans from other cities, let alone other Provinces, showing up at the Gardens. So, it was nice to see a few very ‘enthusiastic’ UNB fans show up. But For such a small bunch they certainly made their presence known. They marched around the rink during the Lakehead/UNB game, section by section, waving their flag in enemy territory, challenging apposing fans to match their enthusiasm. Lakehead fans would respond and the two sides would feed off of each other creating a frenzy of cheers and chants. The fans would battle throughout the game but, at the end of the night, everyone would shake hands - even though Lakehead was defeated booo!

Thanks for making the trip guys! Thanks for the beverage Kexodusc ... hope to see you guys again next year – for a rematch, of course …

I know one of the complaints was not selling enough tickets to the fans in order to fill the arena. It’s a tragedy; I’m embarrassed by it really. I feel bad for people that made the trip and didn’t get to experience a sold out game at the Gardens (add another 1200 people or so) it gets pretty intense in there; you guys would have liked it! Hopefully that will change for next year …

Last edited by gnosh: 03-30-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
score0123

I was surprised that we didn't end up selling day passes, but I knew that if they did, it would have to be significantly more than the average ticket worked out to be if you bought the pass. Too many people would have been quite angry had they gone back on their season long stance of "individual game tickets will not be sold", which was announced multiple times per home game, as well as over the radio etc.

They would lose credibility for next year if they went back on that, and I feel that the sale of tournament passes would significantly drop, as I know a number of people who found the pass to be too expensive given that they did not care to watch anyone other than Lakehead play. That being said, next year, those people that thought they would end up selling individual tickets may decide that they have to buy passes. In the end I think that they will change it and allow day passes to be sold in the ballpark of $40 next year. I don't feel that they will want to lose out on the revenue from the non-LU games, and will force you to still buy tickets for both games on the given day.

I was actually surprised that the attendance was that high for the non-Lakehead games, and think that is attributed to the fact that we had to purchase passes. On the other hand, it sucked seeing the place with 1000 empty seats when we get bigger crowds for regular season games. Did anyone notice the place filled up Saturday night in about the middle of the 2nd period? They had to have let everyone watching in the curling club come in, because it definitely filled up a lot more than it was

score0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
score0123

I too was surprised with the lack of finish in front of the net. Brock and Soares both had a few good chances...we just couldn't finish, but I think part of that was due to the fact that we hadn't played in so long. Hopefully they use that as motivation next year to at least make it to the Queens Cup.

While Whitley is a huge loss, I feel that Brown is just as big of a loss. Also, due to his injury keeping him out most of the season, the loss of Whelan goes somewhat forgotten. He was huge for us when paired with Speer a couple years back, and the whole season could have gone different had he not gone down early in the year. I think that would've meant at least another win, putting us up ahead of Western and Waterloo in the standings.

We need to recruit a couple of big time scorers, with one for the wing on the Hogg/Dobben line, and another to center the Alphonso's.

Old
03-30-2009, 10:30 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
And he has a Universiade gold medal in that span to...I said it earlier and I will say it again, it is going to be some weird watching them next year without him...I would love to see him stick around the program in some capacity for another year...it will be interesting to see who they tab as his successor...whoever it is, they are going to have some big skates to fill...
My guess: Kyle Bailey.....true gamer and great guy...

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yeah...I couldn't believe how snake bitten Lakehead was in those two games...how many good scoring chances/odd man rushes did they get only to fail to get a shot of because of a bouncing puck or a missed pass....not too mention the posts/missed nets/saves? Their bad luck was bordering on ridiculous...on the bright side though, in spite of all the missed opportunities they still almost beat the the top two teams in the country so they should atleast be able to take some sort of positive out of the tournement...

Old
03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
My guess: Kyle Bailey.....true gamer and great guy...
Yep...that's my guess to...and the guy I want to see don the 'C' next year

Old
03-30-2009, 11:21 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Yeah...I couldn't believe how snake bitten Lakehead was in those two games...how many good scoring chances/odd man rushes did they get only to fail to get a shot of because of a bouncing puck or a missed pass....not too mention the posts/missed nets/saves? Their bad luck was bordering on ridiculous...on the bright side though, in spite of all the missed opportunities they still almost beat the the top two teams in the country so they should atleast be able to take some sort of positive out of the tournement...
Lakehead has some skill guys...McPherson's very talented, Sagert, Dobben, Maunu, Kivell, Zulyniak.........but you know, they looked like they ran out of gas against UNB....the locals were commenting on how the team looked out of shape....McPherson particularly....obviously a factor was they hadn't played a game in about a month leading up to the tourney....I'm assuming there weren't exhibition games either....doesn't seem very wise to sit for a month and then be able to crank it up against teams battling right up until about a week before the tournament.....no great surprise they would run out of gas....and when you run out of gas like that, you aren't going to have that touch around the net....that was plainly evident to people watching..

Old
03-30-2009, 11:34 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
Lakehead has some skill guys...McPherson's very talented, Sagert, Dobben, Maunu, Kivell, Zulyniak.........but you know, they looked like they ran out of gas against UNB....the locals were commenting on how the team looked out of shape....McPherson particularly....obviously a factor was they hadn't played a game in about a month leading up to the tourney....I'm assuming there weren't exhibition games either....doesn't seem very wise to sit for a month and then be able to crank it up against teams battling right up until about a week before the tournament.....no great surprise they would run out of gas....and when you run out of gas like that, you aren't going to have that touch around the net....that was plainly evident to people watching..
In 2004 when UNB hosted they had a bye in the first round of the conference playoffs and then lost to Dal in 2 straight in the semi finals...so they had quite a stretch of days off before the tournement...I remember them playing some exhibition games against some local teams and it seemed to help as they ended up going to the final that year...I am surprised Lakehead didn't do something similar...

Old
03-30-2009, 11:41 PM
gnosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by score0123 View Post
I too was surprised with the lack of finish in front of the net. Brock and Soares both had a few good chances...we just couldn't finish, but I think part of that was due to the fact that we hadn't played in so long. Hopefully they use that as motivation next year to at least make it to the Queens Cup.

While Whitley is a huge loss, I feel that Brown is just as big of a loss. Also, due to his injury keeping him out most of the season, the loss of Whelan goes somewhat forgotten. He was huge for us when paired with Speer a couple years back, and the whole season could have gone different had he not gone down early in the year. I think that would've meant at least another win, putting us up ahead of Western and Waterloo in the standings.

We need to recruit a couple of big time scorers, with one for the wing on the Hogg/Dobben line, and another to center the Alphonso's.
I agree, Brown has been a real work horse for Lakehead, it will be a loss. Hopefully someone will step up and take his place. I could definitely see Dobben wearing the ‘C’ next year …

A good winger with Hogg and Dobben would be dynamite. Dobben is arguably the most talented player on the team, I think anyways. His pro experience really shows, he’s very fast and has great vision, his finish is a bit lacking though. Someone with good hands around the net would compliment that line well.

I think the Alphonso line could be great as well; I’ve seen a few flashes of brilliance from Arron earlier in the season, but he needs to control his temper and stay out of the box.

Whelan getting injured was a real blow to the team, he was Lakehead’s best two-way player and losing him was devastating. Although he did come back for the University Cup he just wasn’t the same. I feel sorry for him actually, this being his final year and all. But your right about the extra point in the standings, the far west is so tight every little thing counts.

Things could have been different for Lakehead this year if it wasn’t for some key injuries and illnesses plaguing the team. I think that Jesse Pyatt would have made an impact this year as well, but no use crying over spilled milk, right?

I’m actually really excited to see who they bring in for next year. I think we have a good core of players to start with, and with the right picks Lakehead could have a real solid team next year.

Old
03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
score0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosh View Post
I agree, Brown has been a real work horse for Lakehead, it will be a loss. Hopefully someone will step up and take his place. I could definitely see Dobben wearing the ‘C’ next year …

A good winger with Hogg and Dobben would be dynamite. Dobben is arguably the most talented player on the team, I think anyways. His pro experience really shows, he’s very fast and has great vision, his finish is a bit lacking though. Someone with good hands around the net would compliment that line well.

I think the Alphonso line could be great as well; I’ve seen a few flashes of brilliance from Arron earlier in the season, but he needs to control his temper and stay out of the box.

Whelan getting injured was a real blow to the team, he was Lakehead’s best two-way player and losing him was devastating. Although he did come back for the University Cup he just wasn’t the same. I feel sorry for him actually, this being his final year and all. But your right about the extra point in the standings, the far west is so tight every little thing counts.

Things could have been different for Lakehead this year if it wasn’t for some key injuries and illnesses plaguing the team. I think that Jesse Pyatt would have made an impact this year as well, but no use crying over spilled milk, right?

I’m actually really excited to see who they bring in for next year. I think we have a good core of players to start with, and with the right picks Lakehead could have a real solid team next year.
I agree Dobben is their most talented player. However, I think Smith will be the next captain, with Dobben keeping the A

I like the Alphonso line as well. They bring speed and energy to the team that was lacking when they were both out of the lineup with injuries.

Assuming Speer comes back, we'll have the top 2 lines back minus Brown. Then on the back end we're only losing Kivell. I felt Sagert stepped up this weekend after a bit of a rough stretch earlier on in the season. Smith, Baird, Sagert, Guilbault is a good start. I think Maunu will end up out of the top 6 if they bring someone in, and I'm not sold on Zulyniak. A puck moving d-man would be great...they have Baird, but another would really help them when cycling out of their own end.

With a solid recruiting class, this could be a much better team overall. I think they need speed and scoring...another Dobben would be ideal, but that's probably wishful thinking

Old
03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
AUS Fan

Just got home from unloading the gear at SMU and had a chance for a quick look at the board. UNB is once again snowbound, this time in Toronto. Their flight to Moncton was cancelled, although John Scott Dicksons bag made it to Halifax with our flight. But our tickle trunk did not make it. I'll have to have a good read the next day or so to catch up on the comments and perhaps add a few of my own. I had the pleasure of meeting Ken and other UNB fans while I was there. Aside from the SMU meltdown, it was another good week of CIS hockey.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
I agree Dobben is their most talented player. However, I think Smith will be the next captain, with Dobben keeping the A

I like the Alphonso line as well. They bring speed and energy to the team that was lacking when they were both out of the lineup with injuries.

Assuming Speer comes back, we'll have the top 2 lines back minus Brown. Then on the back end we're only losing Kivell. I felt Sagert stepped up this weekend after a bit of a rough stretch earlier on in the season. Smith, Baird, Sagert, Guilbault is a good start. I think Maunu will end up out of the top 6 if they bring someone in, and I'm not sold on Zulyniak. A puck moving d-man would be great...they have Baird, but another would really help them when cycling out of their own end.

With a solid recruiting class, this could be a much better team overall. I think they need speed and scoring...another Dobben would be ideal, but that's probably wishful thinking
Having watched Lakehead in person a few temes , and this weekend at nationals, I agree that they will need more in speed and scoring. I think the quote about running out of talent around the net came true against the top teams like Alberta and UNB. Lakehead is a great physical team, really strong defensively, but with a bit more firepower, could really push for the top. I think that more speed on the transition would be a big gain, something that Western really showed this year. Guys like Hogg, Speer and Dobben will have to step up in big games, and Speer have another year like the one he did the year before this one. I think Lakehead showed great containment against UNB, but really were outgunned. You look at Lakehead's top scorer, Brock McPherson, he is a great player, great along the wall, and posseses a great shot, but you look at his junior stats, he has an OHL career goal total of 30, and assist total of around 13 I think. When your up against UNB, with guys like Hunter Tremblay, it is going to be tough to match that offense. Hunter Tremblay produced over double those point totals in his last year of junior alone. Players obviously develop from junior, that is what the CIS is all about, but Lakehead will likely need more speed and hands to really help get the most out of guys like McPherson (and match his great reg season stats and do what he does best) against the top CIS teams in the country. I could be way off, I don't know the Lakehead team that well, but that was my first impression. Their goaltending has been spectacular though. That will be a huge hole to fill.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:19 PM
gnosh

Quote:
In 2004 when UNB hosted they had a bye in the first round of the conference playoffs and then lost to Dal in 2 straight in the semi finals...so they had quite a stretch of days off before the tournement...I remember them playing some exhibition games against some local teams and it seemed to help as they ended up going to the final that year...I am surprised Lakehead didn't do something similar...
Exhibition games would have been a great idea, but the only option in Thunder Bay really is to play a junior A/B team. The junior A teams were heading into the playoffs so I doubt they would have accepted. Thunder Bay does, however, have a senior men’s hockey team this year, the Thunder Bay twins. They just qualified for the Allan cup and could have used some practice as well. The Twins are basically made up of CIS and Junior A players anyways, in fact, the Twins goalie is the goaltending coach for the Thunderwolves … It certainly wouldn’t be the same as playing a top CIS team, but better than nothing … maybe coach McKee was worried about injuries, hard to say.

Speaking of coaches, did anyone else notice that coach Belliveau was in town for the nationals? Not a big surprise I guess, he does have family here …

Old
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 300
Quote:
Exhibition games would have been a great idea, but the only option in Thunder Bay really is to play a junior A/B team. The junior A teams were heading into the playoffs so I doubt they would have accepted. Thunder Bay does, however, have a senior men’s hockey team this year, the Thunder Bay twins. They just qualified for the Allan cup and could have used some practice as well. The Twins are basically made up of CIS and Junior A players anyways, in fact, the Twins goalie is the goaltending coach for the Thunderwolves … It certainly wouldn’t be the same as playing a top CIS team, but better than nothing … maybe coach McKee was worried about injuries, hard to say.

Speaking of coaches, did anyone else notice that coach Belliveau was in town for the nationals? Not a big surprise I guess, he does have family here …
The Manitoba Bisons played the Steinbach North Stars during the Universiade break.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:

In '04, when UNB lost their first round, they played two games against the Saint John Thundercats - a senior team playing for the Allan Cup. The series was home-and-home before Nationals started in Fredericton.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
<snip> You look at Lakehead's top scorer, Brock McPherson, he is a great player, great along the wall, and posseses a great shot, but you look at his junior stats, he has an OHL career goal total of 30, and assist total of around 13 I think. When your up against UNB, with guys like Hunter Tremblay, it is going to be tough to match that offense. Hunter Tremblay produced over double those point totals in his last year of junior alone. Players obviously develop from junior, that is what the CIS is all about, but Lakehead will likely need more speed and hands to really help get the most out of guys like McPherson (and match his great reg season stats and do what he does best) against the top CIS teams in the country. I could be way off, I don't know the Lakehead team that well, but that was my first impression. Their goaltending has been spectacular though. That will be a huge hole to fill.
I think Lakehead needs to adopt better attention to conditioning if they want to take the next step. McPherson is listed at 235 but I've been told his current weight is closer to 260. I saw him in civvies in the beer garden afterwards and he looks more like an offensive or defensive lineman than a hockey player. A local fan said his size didn't affect his game, but seriously, if you are going to skate with the big boys for 60 minutes you are going to have to put a little more focus on conditioning. Talent will only get you so far. It is hard work to win a University Cup ...

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Most CIS hockey coaches, if they have the budget, attend the University Cup every year. There are coaches meetings, your team might have a player up for a national award, plus of course the chance to socialize.

Old
03-31-2009, 02:42 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Most CIS hockey coaches, if they have the budget, attend the University Cup every year. There are coaches meetings, your team might have a player up for a national award, plus of course the chance to socialize.
True, and Pete has been known to attend with regularity also. He did when he could as our coach, he was there in '04-'05 when we were in Edmonton and he was here in Moncton last year.

timbitca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:10 AM
austrooper

Quote:

I heard he was there but where was he hiding? He was nowhere to be found near the media or with the corp of volunteers putting on the event. Not so sure if he wanted to hang around with people like Warden and Co...He didn't exit on the best of terms. But he's a good guy who'll do well in Halifax.

Old
04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
score0123

I saw him in the curling club/beer gardens multiple times throughout the course of the weekend.

So it sounds like Dan Speer wants to leave town...which one of you schools is going to pick him up as he'll surely want to come back to nationals and make us pay next year

Old
04-01-2009, 08:06 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
I saw him in the curling club/beer gardens multiple times throughout the course of the weekend.

So it sounds like Dan Speer wants to leave town...which one of you schools is going to pick him up as he'll surely want to come back to nationals and make us pay next year
Of course if he transfers to another school he will have to sit out next year ... unless he has graduated and would be taking a graduate level program (Education, Law) or a Master's.