HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
Ticket Sales

Gnosh, how are the ticket sales going in T-Bay?

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
timbitca

Not as good as they would if we had beat you guys!

Hahaha. :p

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:29 AM
gnosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Gnosh, how are the ticket sales going in T-Bay?
As of a few weeks ago they had sold roughly 2200 tournament passes … last week the Thunderwolves teamed up with various RBC branches in the city to promote the University Cup, I think the ticket drive went well but no numbers were released …

I think you’ll find that ‘day’ or ‘game’ passes will become available when the tournament starts to get the numbers up.

People in Thunder Bay can be very ‘frugal’, for a lack of better words, and some will complain about having to buy a tournament pass as opposed to a normal game ticket.

There are also a lot of old school hockey fans that like to show up at the box office 20 minutes before the game and buy a ticket, if they feel so inclined … then they stand up top and yell “Shoot the puck already!” every time a Lakehead player touches the puck

just curious, did Moncton sell game passes or just tournament passes for the Nationals?

gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Bit of an upset if the regular season was any indication.
It's more that McGill's season wasn't an indication of the strenght of the team. The arrival of Desfosses in the nets at mid-season and coach Raymond team finally getting the system changed the whole season for them. I cover the Pats activities here in Trois-Rivières (Radio show on CFOU 89.1FM and internet coverage on my own website, L'Inconduite de partie), and I didn't think things were looking too good for the Pats going into that serie. But I expected it to go to a third game.

But UQTR played inspired hockey. After they won vs Carleton, I was in the locker room and let me tell you that the guys were inspired. It's McGill's defensive play versus the Boutin-Demers-Gravel line that really killed it for the Patriotes. They didn't register a single point during those two games. Gravel was probably playing injured however.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosh View Post
just curious, did Moncton sell game passes or just tournament passes for the Nationals?
Moncton did both. Tournament passes up to a certain date and single game tickets (@ 25 - 30 bucks if I'm not mistaken). One on the UdeM guys can chime in on this. Reason I asked is that some of our players (SMU) were asking about tickets and I was curious as to numbers.

Old
03-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Bob Stauffer

Bears on the Ropes!

Defending National Champion Alberta got a serious wake-up call tonight in Edmonton losing 5-2 to unheralded Regina in Game 1 of the Canada West best-of-three semi-final.
The Cougars outshot, outplayed, out-disciplined a moribund Golden Bears squad en route to a 3-0 first period lead.
The Bears were unwilling to get greasy and recover.
I think Regina might be all wrong for the Golden Bears in this series.
We will see what happens in Game 2 on Saturday.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 11:17 PM
timbitca

Wow. Didn't see that one coming.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 05:53 AM
Squirrel Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
Defending National Champion Alberta got a serious wake-up call tonight in Edmonton losing 5-2 to unheralded Regina in Game 1 of the Canada West best-of-three semi-final.
The Cougars outshot, outplayed, out-disciplined a moribund Golden Bears squad en route to a 3-0 first period lead.
I am really not surprised with this result. Regina played them hard all year, winning one and losing two by a single goal. That lengthy layoff is killer for any team. I think Alberta got a "golden ticket" from too many people.

That being said, I don't expect Albert to just lay down and die either.

Lets go VREDS!!

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 06:58 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
I don't know what it's like out west but out east if you had as long a layoff as the Bears did, any playoff team fresh of a series victory the week before is going to be a formidable challenge until you get the timing back. Sounds like Alberta kinda got a bit of a raw deal on the scheduling this year. It's got to be tough to show up with playoff game intensity when you haven't played an important game in three weeks or more. Looks like it was the first period that did them in.

I'm guessing they've found their legs and are a bit ticked off for game 2. Lucky for them they don't play Game 2 in Regina.

kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 08:53 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Anyone know where I can listen to the Alberta/Regina game on the internet tonight?

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
gnosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Anyone know where I can listen to the Alberta/Regina game on the internet tonight?
Follow this link ... http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Hockey/...t=game&ID=3537

I believe you have to save an .asx file then open it using Windows Media Player.

gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:38 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Gut check time, I guess, Bob. But you've seen these guys down before and they find a way. These crazy playoff schedules. Teams sitting down for unreasonable lengths of time. Why they don't think about playing more games and making some playoff money. Bears win tonight with the game in their den and suddenly, all that playoff experience comes to the fore. Golden Bears lose, though, and suddenly, the whole seeding process for the CIS takes a different slant.

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:09 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
Golden Bears lose, though, and suddenly, the whole seeding process for the CIS takes a different slant.
Good call. Depending what happends with the Queen's Cup the OUA winner could be #2 seed. It won't really matter much 'cause the #2 and #3 are in the same pool.

Old
03-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Bob Stauffer

Re: Alberta

Prior to last night, they hadn't played a real meaningful game since January 24th when they completed a sweep of Saskatchewan at Clare Drake Arena to all but secure home-ice throughout the playoffs.
They haven't played as a team since the Feb. 6th-7th weekend; as a third of their team went to China for FISU, and the rest of guys closed out the regular season in Lethbridge on Feb. 13th and 14th.
I am a big believer in karma, and felt Alberta got incredibly lucky at last year's Nationals, I doubt anyone would disagree...
Maybe this is the bounce back year karma-wise.
Frankly Alberta exceeded my expectations in the regular season since they are no where near as good on defence as last season, and I felt the team would also miss Dylan Stanley (who left despite still having eligibility) up front.
The Bears also have to get Ian MacDonald (2008 University Cup MVP, finished third in WHL scoring in 2005-06) back on one of their top two lines.
To play him on a fourth line and not on their first two pp units, which they did last night for two periods in counter-productive.
Regina as "Hollywood" can attest to has structure and process in their game, and they can shut a team down. They play like the Minnesota Wild, and are tough to beat if they score first.
It will take a major effort to beat them two straight.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Alberta/Regina 1-1 after one period...

Old
03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Squirrel Forever

Western takes the OUA with a 2-1 score. We now know Western will be one of the top three ranked teams.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:03 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Western really surprises me...I know they are good pretty much every year but at the beginning of the season they didn't seem as strong as they usually are..but now they seem to be peaking at the right time and that means they could be pretty dangerous in TBay...

Old
03-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Squirrel Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Alberta/Regina 1-1 after one period...
I am listening to this game, Alberta definitely sounds more focused tonight.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:08 PM
AUS Fan

Mustangs OUA Champs

UWO defeats Mcgill 2 -1. Pools are taking shape (a bit). More to come after SMU-UNB Sunday night.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:10 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yeah...if UNB wins we would know the pools...

Old
03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
CoreyGraham

Bears bounce back

The Golden Bears were much better tonight and downed Regina 4-1 at Clare Drake Arena. Regina got up early and played the Bears tight throughout the contest but Alberta finally got the puck to the net tonight to even the series 1-1. Game three is tomorrow night at 7pm MT.

http://www.bears.ualberta.ca

CoreyGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
So the pools should be:

1 - UNB, McGill, Lakehead
2 - CW winner, Urban Cowboys, St. Mary's

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 09:15 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
So the pools should be:

1 - UNB, McGill, Lakehead
2 - CW winner, Urban Cowboys, St. Mary's
If UNB beats SMU tonight, yes, in theory that should be the pools (which are labelled A and B by the way). However, the tournament committee has the final say, and can still move teams around to suit the host.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 09:32 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
However, the tournament committee has the final say, and can still move teams around to suit the host.
To a certain extent. #1, #2 and #3 seeds are 'cast in stone', I'm assuming. I would also assume that SMU or UNB would put up a fuss if they were moved to same pool this year. I think the only teams that can get shuffled/shafted are Lakehead/McGill. But one never knows...

Old
03-15-2009, 09:41 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
To a certain extent. #1, #2 and #3 seeds are 'cast in stone', I'm assuming. I would also assume that SMU or UNB would put up a fuss if they were moved to same pool this year. I think the only teams that can get shuffled/shafted are Lakehead/McGill. But one never knows...
You're right there. The CIS regulations and precedence are quite clear that two teams from one conference are supposed to be split up, as are three teams from one conference. The three conference champs get the top three seeds in some order, based on the last regular season ranking poll. So if Alberta wins tonight and UNB wins tonight, UNB gets #1 seed and Alberta gets #2 seed and UWO gets third seed. If SMU wins tonight and Wednesday, and Alberta wins tonight, then Alberta gets the #1 seed and SMU gets the #2 seed and UWO gets the third seed. If upsets reign and SMU wins and Regina wins tonight, then SMU gets the #1 seed and UWO gets the #2 seed as they would be higer ranked than any surviving Canada West team.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote