HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS University Cup

Old
03-21-2009, 07:06 PM
austrooper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
I notice that a couple of posters are indicating that there may be the possibility that McGill would be ranked higher than UNB at Nationals... is this possible?

I would think that UNB (#4) will be paired with Alberta (#1) and McGill (#5) and that SMU (#2) will be in a pool with Western (#3) and Lakehead (#6). As well, I would anticipate that the teams paired with Lakehead will be playing the evening games, with the other pool obviously playing in the afternoon.

That being said, I would think that Alberta and McGill would meet on Thursday afternoon, with the loser playing UNB on Friday afternoon. Don't the organizers normally set it up so that the highest and lowest ranked teams in each respective pool meet on opening day, or at least for the afternoon game? If this holds true, chances are this would set up a rematch of last year's finals on Saturday afternoon between Alberta and UNB for the right to play in the finals on Sunday. Remember, this game is being televised... what better way to draw the maximum amount of fan support than to have these 2 teams meet in the semis.

As far as Lakehead is concerned, I guess it will all depend on whether they choose to play on both Friday and Saturday night or if they elect to play on Thursday instead.

I guess we'll see soon enough.
Wonder what you guys feel about the value of CHSR-FM using the resources to cover the nationals. Just asking with the presence of web casts, TV, etc...

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
AUShockeyfan

Listening to the Alberta/Sask. game, and with 9 mins. left in the third Albeta leads 5-0, so you can book the Golden Bears for the finals. Ooops make it 6-0. Kilgour apparently having a big night...

7-0 final. Commentators suggesting the Bears heading out to TBay on Tuesday, and possibly playing in the afternoon pool on Thursday - I'm sure there's someone out there that can make sense of that, maybe

Last edited by AUShockeyfan: 03-21-2009 at 10:41 PM.
AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:51 PM
AUS Fan

Pools

My guess:

Pool A - UofA, UNB, McGill (1-4-5).
Pool B - SMU, UWO, Lakehead (2-3-6).

Pool B will get the evening draw. Would expect McGill to play either of the big two on Thursday afternoon and again on Friday afternoon should they lose. Sets the stage for the 1-2 showdown Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by AUS Fan: 03-21-2009 at 10:58 PM.
AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Remember the posts about the regionals idea? Well, if it were around the CW playoffs would have ended last weekend and this weekend this is what we would have seen:

HOST:
#1 Host -- LAKEHEAD
#8 CW 3rd -- REGINA
#9 AUS 3rd -- MONCTON
#16 OUA 7th -- CARLTON

WEST:
#2 CW winner -- ALBERTA
#7 AUS runner-up -- UNB
#10 OUA 3rd -- UQTR
#15 OUA 6th -- TORONTO

EAST:
#3 AUS winner -- ST. MARY'S
#6 OUA runner-up -- MCGILL
#11 CW 4th -- UBC
#14 OUA 5th -- YORK

CENTRAL:
#4 OUA winner -- WESTERN ONTARIO
#5 CW runner-up -- SASKATCHEWAN
#12 OUA 4th -- LAURIER
#13 AUS 4th -- ACADIA

That West regional would have been an awesome tournament. And the Central regional would have been fairly wide-open. Just look at how important the UNB/SMU series would have been. The loser has to beat UQTR and Alberta in Edmontown whilst the winner has to beat York and wither McGill or UBC at home.

It would have been a very interesting weekend.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Bob Stauffer

Alberta Sweeps

Bears shellacked Saskatchewan 7-0; despite not getting a point from their top line of Chad Klassen, Derek Ryan and Brian Woolger.
Alberta also played without 2008 University Cup MVP Ian MacDonald, and Jason Fransoo a Conference All-Star defenceman this season; both left Friday's 5-2 victory with upper-body injuries.
Ben Kilgour and Aaron Sorochan played their final games at Clare Drake and left in style.
Kilgour got the Bears rolling with a powerplay goal and finished the night with a two goals and an assist.
Sorochan got the shutout in his final home start for the Bears.
Frankly I am stunned Alberta outsocred Saskatchewan 12-2 over the two games.
Canada West MVP Stephen Da Silva went a combined -6 over the weekend.
The team will fly to Thunder Bay on Tuesday, likely seeded #1.

As an fyi...I am in Minnesota today for the oilers/wild on Sunday and saw North Dakota and Wisconsin and then Denver and Minnesota-Duluth in the WCHA Final five...IMO schools like Alberta/UNB/Saint Mary's can run with these teams.
UMD won the tournament with some great goaltending and average forwards.
Wisconsin had three NHL #1 picks back on defence, but lacked offence.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:18 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
Bears shellacked Saskatchewan 7-0; despite not getting a point from their top line of Chad Klassen, Derek Ryan and Brian Woolger.
Alberta also played without 2008 University Cup MVP Ian MacDonald, and Jason Fransoo a Conference All-Star defenceman this season; both left Friday's 5-2 victory with upper-body injuries.
Ben Kilgour and Aaron Sorochan played their final games at Clare Drake and left in style.
Kilgour got the Bears rolling with a powerplay goal and finished the night with a two goals and an assist.
Sorochan got the shutout in his final home start for the Bears.
Frankly I am stunned Alberta outsocred Saskatchewan 12-2 over the two games.
Canada West MVP Stephen Da Silva went a combined -6 over the weekend.
The team will fly to Thunder Bay on Tuesday, likely seeded #1.

As an fyi...I am in Minnesota today for the oilers/wild on Sunday and saw North Dakota and Wisconsin and then Denver and Minnesota-Duluth in the WCHA Final five...IMO schools like Alberta/UNB/Saint Mary's can run with these teams.
UMD won the tournament with some great goaltending and average forwards.
Wisconsin had three NHL #1 picks back on defence, but lacked offence.
Bob, any thoughts on a possible UNB/Alberta matchup? Looks like Alberta will draw McGill on Thursday afternoon with the loser playing UNB on Friday afternoon. Not to discount McGill, but chances are we'll see one heck of a semi-final game on Saturday being played between two of the premier hockey programs in this Country.

SuperSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:29 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

So..Alberta is flying to T'Bay on Tuesday and will probably be playing in the Thursday afternoon game?? That is going to be rough...if it is McGill they are playing I expect Alberta to come out on top but I can see it being much closer than anyone expects...as a UNB fan I wonder if playing Alberta on Thursday afternoon would give UNB a significantly better chance to beat them as opposed to playing them on Saturday considering if they play on Saturday UNB will be playing their second game in two nights while Alberta would have had Friday off...what does everyone else think??

There are two ways to look at the Alberta situation though...they will either be drained from being the last team to finish up their playoffs and from the lengthy travel so close to their first game...or, on the other hand, one could argue that after their convincing wins over Sask they are starting to roll and ending their series so close to Nationals will make them sharper out of the gate than the other teams that have been off for over a week, they might avoid the rust/thrown off timing that comes with being off for an extended period of time...

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:45 AM
nosl

Schedule

It's looking like I'll be able to attend the first game. Who's playing who on what days?

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:53 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
So..Alberta is flying to T'Bay on Tuesday and will probably be playing in the Thursday afternoon game?? That is going to be rough...if it is McGill they are playing I expect Alberta to come out on top but I can see it being much closer than anyone expects...as a UNB fan I wonder if playing Alberta on Thursday afternoon would give UNB a significantly better chance to beat them as opposed to playing them on Saturday considering if they play on Saturday UNB will be playing their second game in two nights while Alberta would have had Friday off...what does everyone else think??

There are two ways to look at the Alberta situation though...they will either be drained from being the last team to finish up their playoffs and from the lengthy travel so close to their first game...or, on the other hand, one could argue that after their convincing wins over Sask they are starting to roll and ending their series so close to Nationals will make them sharper out of the gate than the other teams that have been off for over a week, they might avoid the rust/thrown off timing that comes with being off for an extended period of time...
If UNB is a bit rusty in the first half or so of their first game... I'd much sooner be playing that first game against McGill or Lakehead as opposed to Alberta.

SuperSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:02 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
If UNB is a bit rusty in the first half or so of their first game... I'd much sooner be playing that first game against McGill or Lakehead as opposed to Alberta.
Yeah...the more I think of it the more I think that to...

Old
03-22-2009, 10:46 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
There are two ways to look at the Alberta situation though...they will either be drained from being the last team to finish up their playoffs and from the lengthy travel so close to their first game......

Edmonton - Thunder Bay = 1100 miles, 1790 kms

Halifax - Toronto - Thunder Bay = 1365 miles, 2200 kms

SMU will probably play Thursday as well.

Old
03-22-2009, 12:54 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
It's looking like I'll be able to attend the first game. Who's playing who on what days?
Unknown at this time, but expect UofA to play Thursday afternoon vs McGill and SMU to play Thursday night vs UWO. However, this is all conjecture, as the pools have not been decided. Check back on this thread or the CIS website.

Old
03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Unknown at this time, but expect UofA to play Thursday afternoon vs McGill and SMU to play Thursday night vs UWO. However, this is all conjecture, as the pools have not been decided. Check back on this thread or the CIS website.

Yeah...the pools and schedule will be announced sometime tomorrow I do believe....

Old
03-23-2009, 06:13 AM
AUS Fan

Final Pools

I'm going to agree with Bob and predict:

UofA, UNB, Lak (1-4-6)
SMU, UWO, McGill (2-3-5)

If Lakehead opts to play Friday and Saturday, the two top teams in the country will play Thursday eve.

Last edited by AUS Fan: 03-23-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old
03-23-2009, 07:37 AM
cishockeyfan

UNB Situation

Does anyone know the UNB Injury situation? If both Hunter Tremblay and Jimmy Cuddihy are out for Nationals, this hurts UNB Hard especially Obviously Tremblay being out. Has Tremblays Knee Been injured for a while even before the SMU series?

Is Luke Lynnes also Injured? or was he a healthy scratch for game 3 vs St Mary's. Heres to keeping my fingers crossed that Tremblay is good to go, you can't replace a guy who has scored 100 Points in his first 55 CIS Regular Season Games

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:24 AM
AUS Fan

Seeding:

1. University of Alberta

2. Saint Mary's University

3. The University of Western Ontario

4. University of New Brunswick

5. McGill University

6. Lakehead University

Pool A Pool B

1. Alberta 2. Saint Mary's

4. UNB 3. Western Ontario

6. Lakehead 5. McGill

Thursday, March 26

2:00 pm Game 1 Saint Mary's vs. McGill

7:30 pm Game 2 Alberta vs. UNB

Friday, March 27

2:00 pm Loser Game 1 vs. Western Ontario

7:30 pm Loser Game 2 vs. Lakehead

Saturday, March 28

2:00 pm Winner Game 1 vs. Western Ontario

7:00 pm Winner Game 2 vs. Lakehead

Sunday, March 29

2:00 pm Gold Medal Game

Old
03-23-2009, 08:57 AM
gnosh

Quote:
Seeding:

1. University of Alberta

2. Saint Mary's University

3. The University of Western Ontario

4. University of New Brunswick

5. McGill University

6. Lakehead University

Pool A Pool B

1. Alberta 2. Saint Mary's

4. UNB 3. Western Ontario

6. Lakehead 5. McGill

Thursday, March 26

2:00 pm Game 1 Saint Mary's vs. McGill

7:30 pm Game 2 Alberta vs. UNB

Friday, March 27

2:00 pm Loser Game 1 vs. Western Ontario

7:30 pm Loser Game 2 vs. Lakehead

Saturday, March 28

2:00 pm Winner Game 1 vs. Western Ontario

7:00 pm Winner Game 2 vs. Lakehead

Sunday, March 29

2:00 pm Gold Medal Game
Well, no big surprise on the seeding, I think everyone pretty much predicted the pools after Alberta knocked out Saskatchewan ... Lakehead will be in tough for sure, yikes

First day will be big with UNB vs Alberta!

I've taken a few days off work to watch the show ...

btw tournament passes have dropped in price from $120 to $105, good deal!

No word on single game passes as of yet ...

Let the show begin ... and good luck to all teams

gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:00 AM
timbitca

Wow. Tough pool for the host team. With the possible injury situation i'm going to guess a U of A - SMU finals. But I'm going to root for a UNB-SMU finals.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
FreddtFoyle

Well if UNB had beat SMU in the AUS, then Alberta would be #1 seed (and in Pool A), SMU would have probably got the 4th seed and be in the same pool, and #6 seed and host Lakehead has to be in Pool A by CIS regs ... so pick your poison. Either way Pool A was destined to be the Pool of Death.

Of course Bob coined the term on this board, but international football (soccer) media have always labelled one pool at international tournaments the Pool of Death.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:41 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosh View Post
btw tournament passes have dropped in price from $120 to $105, good deal!

No word on single game passes as of yet ...
I guess I can't sell my tickets for what I paid for them in the fall. If the price has been reduced they must have problems selling. That doesn't auger well for crowds at the games.

Old
03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Well if UNB had beat SMU in the AUS, then Alberta would be #1 seed (and in Pool A), SMU would have probably got the 4th seed and be in the same pool, and #6 seed and host Lakehead has to be in Pool A by CIS regs ... so pick your poison. Either way Pool A was destined to be the Pool of Death.

Of course Bob coined the term on this board, but international football (soccer) media have always labelled one pool at international tournaments the Pool of Death.
UNB would have been the #1 seed with McGill #4, Lakehead #6 (Pool A) and UofA #2, UWO #3 and SMU #5 (Pool B).

Old
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Kinda sucks that the UNB/Alberta game won't be on tv...in fact, whoever loses that game won't have either of their games on tv...gay

Old
03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
gnosh

Quote:
I guess I can't sell my tickets for what I paid for them in the fall. If the price has been reduced they must have problems selling. That doesn't auger well for crowds at the games.
It seems I spoke too soon ... they are now advertising the tickets as $105 plus taxes as opposed to $120 including taxes. - my bad

Apparently sales have picked up in the last two weeks ... I think people had been holding out waiting for game passes, which the box office claims will not happen.

Off-ice event schedule (for anyone attending) ... http://www.thunderwolveshockey.com/BrochureFianl2.pdf

Last edited by gnosh: 03-23-2009 at 10:21 AM.
gnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Sounds like some slick marketing to me haha

So Alberta's "reward" for being the number one team for almost the entire year is a pool containing the host team and the only other team who was ranked #1...that's nice...

Old
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
UNB would have been the #1 seed with McGill #4, Lakehead #6 (Pool A) and UofA #2, UWO #3 and SMU #5 (Pool B).
You sure? SMU had the #4 ranking in the last regular season poll and McGill was unranked.

Edit: Never mind, you're probably right ... they could have jigged the seedings to keep UNB away from SMU. I'll blame it on being hopped up on cold medicine ...

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote