HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NCAA, European & Juniors discussion (no AHL) (con't...)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I really think Grachev will be huge for us. He has a skill set that no other player on this team possesses, not to mention that he brings a lot of size

He should be on the team next season. I'll be really, really disappointed if he's not
I'd be very surprised to see him on the big club next year. The Rangers don't appear to be in any sort of hurry to get their prospects to the NHL.

Old
02-14-2009, 02:10 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd be very surprised to see him on the big club next year. The Rangers don't appear to be in any sort of hurry to get their prospects to the NHL.
Seconded.

Folks need to understand that, as impressive as Grachev's accomplishments have been this season, he's playing against 17-20 year old kids, most of whom he has a significant size advantage over. Marc Staal was a highly-drafted top-flight prospect and the Rangers were extremely cautious with him, sending him back for his final year in junior. I would be extremely surprised to see them rush a prospect who -- from what I've seen in limited viewing and read -- is still a little rough around the edges, straight into the NHL next season.

Old
02-14-2009, 05:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Seconded.

Folks need to understand that, as impressive as Grachev's accomplishments have been this season, he's playing against 17-20 year old kids, most of whom he has a significant size advantage over. Marc Staal was a highly-drafted top-flight prospect and the Rangers were extremely cautious with him, sending him back for his final year in junior. I would be extremely surprised to see them rush a prospect who -- from what I've seen in limited viewing and read -- is still a little rough around the edges, straight into the NHL next season.
Do they bring him to Hartford, though? Is he better off playing against professional players, or should he stay in juniors and remain the big fish in the little pond?

Old
02-14-2009, 05:41 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Do they bring him to Hartford, though? Is he better off playing against professional players, or should he stay in juniors and remain the big fish in the little pond?
i'd like him to be in hartford next year. he's already much bigger than most in the ohl from what i understand, so i'd like to see him play against men. no reason to rush him to the nhl though. let's give our prospects time!

Old
02-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Ola

I agree about Grachevs chances to make the big team. They are small.

But at the same time, Grachev have potential to make a impact long before he is finnished developing so to speak. Grachev could very much play in a Voros type of role. He would be a good fit in a role like that. In that role he could hold his own most of the time; and contribute with his size along the boards. Grachev is much further away then Anisimov when it comes to centering a line in the NHL. But as a PF winger Grachev is not that far away.

But he will need to have a awsome summer though. And his size won´t mean nearly as much in the NHL as it does in the OHL. So the odds are small. But he does have a chance.

Old
02-14-2009, 07:04 AM
trademasterb*

I'd say Grachev is just about a lock to make the team next year. The offensive abilities of the forwards on this team are awful. I'm also quite sick of hearing that lame argument about Grachev playing against smaller and younger players. He's rookie in the OHL and he's dominating that league. It doesn't happen very often.

What the Rangers did with Staal means nothing. Staal was not nearly as physically developed as Grachev is and he plays defense which is a lot harder to do in the NHL. Grachev and Anisimov will make the team next year and Renney will be fired. Thank God. I also don't know who ranked Zaborsky 6th on our prospect list and Hagelin 8th. They were lost.

Old
02-14-2009, 07:46 AM
ThirdEye

Sorry guys, but I disagree. Jordan Staal made the jump straight from the OHL and contributed right away. I think Grachev plays a somewhat similar game and can help this team as early as next season. Sure the size advantage helps him in the OHL, but if you've seen any videos of him most of his goals aren't really scored by crashing the net and physically overwhelming defensemen. The only thing I'm concerned about is if he will be mentally prepared to make the jump

Old
02-14-2009, 08:17 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Grachev's numbers are incredible to think about.

First off, he has Matt Duchene and Cody Hodgson on his team. Those two SHOULD be taking ALL the spot light and attention... but

Grachev is the same age (18) and only in his first OHL season, whereas Hodgson and Duchene are in their 3rd and 2nd OHL seasons.

Grachev leads the team in goals (32), +/- (+31), only 6 points off the lead (Hodgson 67, Duchene 65, Grachev 61).

He is listed 16th in the league in scoring. And he is about 6th in the league in goals.

The guy is an absolute gem with his size, speed, and hands.

He and Anisimov should be a fun pair to watch.

Old
02-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Levitate

I imagine it's going to depend on what kind of camp he has. He's probably a longshot to make the team out of camp, but I could see him doing well enough to go to Hartford and earn a callup

Old
02-14-2009, 09:12 AM
FLYLine24*

Grachev is not making the team next year, he's had a great year, but why would we rush him and throw him into the NHL? He'll be in the OHL again next season.

Old
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Grachev is not making the team next year, he's had a great year, but why would we rush him and throw him into the NHL? He'll be in the OHL again next season.
Yeah, He'll more then likely be back in the O next season, with an outside chance of the Rangers putting him in Hartford next season.

Old
02-14-2009, 10:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Carl Hagelin with a goal and assist last night (10-13-23 in 31). Last season he recorded a line of 11-11-22 in 41. Good progression from Carl.

Max Campbell with an assist, pushing him to 14-8-22 in 30. He leads his team in goals by a margin of four and is second in scoring, behind a Senior.

Danny Hobbs was a scratch once again (4 games in a row, I believe) and Derek Stepan and Wisconsin were off.

It's just pain.
Old
02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
No he won't be.

He'll be in the AHL.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Yeah, He'll more then likely be back in the O next season, with an outside chance of the Rangers putting him in Hartford next season.
I don't think it's an outside chance at all. Why have him just sit there and utterly dominate more? Not like he'll learn much from that.

Old
02-14-2009, 10:55 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I imagine it's going to depend on what kind of camp he has. He's probably a longshot to make the team out of camp, but I could see him doing well enough to go to Hartford and earn a callup
This is my guess as well.

Old
02-14-2009, 11:00 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No he won't be.

He'll be in the AHL.
Considering they put Anisimov in Hartford a year after his draft date, I'd almost expect Grachev to be there next year.

Old
02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
trademasterb*

I stick by my last post here. Grachev is all but a lock to make the team next year. The biggest reasons Anismov and Staal were not rushed were because the organization felt they weren't phsyically strong enough for the NHL. Grachev by all accounts is fully developed physically. That will go a long way to making the big team next year.

Old
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No he won't be.

He'll be in the AHL.
Ok, then i'm confused, I know if a player is playing in Europe they can come over at 19 and play in the AHL..but I thought if they come over and play in Juniors then they are stuck in Juniors or NHL till 20?

If he can play in the AHL then he will 100% be in the AHL next season, not the OHL or NHL.

Old
02-14-2009, 11:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It would be a mild shock if Grachev made the team next season, IMO.

Old
02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Ok, then i'm confused, I know if a player is playing in Europe they can come over at 19 and play in the AHL..but I thought if they come over and play in Juniors then they are stuck in Juniors or NHL till 20?

If he can play in the AHL then he will 100% be in the AHL next season, not the OHL or NHL.
If they are drafted out of Europe, they can jump to the AHL after playing in Canadian juniors. Kloucek went to the AHL at age 19 after a year in juniors.

Old
02-14-2009, 01:56 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
If they are drafted out of Europe, they can jump to the AHL after playing in Canadian juniors. Kloucek went to the AHL at age 19 after a year in juniors.
Perfect, then Grachev should definitly be with the Pack next season.

Old
02-14-2009, 02:26 PM
squishy

Quote:
I was reading an interview with Andrei Loktionov a few weeks back. He was drafted over the summer out of Yaroslavl like Grachev and also came over to play in the CHL. In the interview he was asked whether he thought he'd be playing in the AHL next year, and he said he wasn't allowed to, and that he would either play in the NHL or back in juniors. I found that strange, because I thought the same as you -- if the player is drafted out of Europe the CHL rule doesn't apply. I meant to translate the quote and post it here for discussion, but just haven't had a chance...

You'd think the player would know better than anyone else what his options are, but maybe he's just going by what his Candadian teammates have told him is the case for them?

Old
02-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Levitate

Could be that he was also mistaken

Pretty sure we've seen several European players come over and just play one year or so in juniors before going to the AHL

Old
02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Fedor Tyutin played 2001-02 in Guelph and when the Rangers attempted to assign Tyutin to HFD for 02-03,his Russian junior team refused to allow him to play in the AHL so he played that year in Russia.He was already signed at a NHL contract.As is Evgeny Grachev.Both players were drafted out of Russia.Then again Vyacheslav Voynov was drafted by LA 32nd overall last June and is playing in the AHL this season.Who knows?

Old
02-14-2009, 04:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I was reading an interview with Andrei Loktionov a few weeks back. He was drafted over the summer out of Yaroslavl like Grachev and also came over to play in the CHL. In the interview he was asked whether he thought he'd be playing in the AHL next year, and he said he wasn't allowed to, and that he would either play in the NHL or back in juniors. I found that strange, because I thought the same as you -- if the player is drafted out of Europe the CHL rule doesn't apply. I meant to translate the quote and post it here for discussion, but just haven't had a chance...

You'd think the player would know better than anyone else what his options are, but maybe he's just going by what his Candadian teammates have told him is the case for them?
I think the rule is if a player was the equivalent of "pro" in Europe then he is not subject to the 4 years or 20 years old rules.

I think Loktionov is assuming wrongly. He may just not know the whole ruling.

I could be wrong, but they are in the same boat as Anisimov was. They were both pros, in the highest league in their country, and were not being given a legit chance to play there, so they left for NA...which may be why there was no real gripe coming from Russia about it.

If Anisimov was eligible, Grachev has to be, too... right? Basically the same situation for both. Except Grachev came over a year younger then Anisimov did.

Closed Thread