HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Mikko Koivu or Ales Hemsky

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Hemsky (Not an Oiler fan) 97 31.70%
Koivu (Not a Wild fan) 122 39.87%
Hemsky (Oiler fan) 74 24.18%
Koivu (Wild fan) 13 4.25%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
State of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
We're talking about Hemsky here, try to keep it on track
LOL. You brought up Koivu's teammates in an attempt (with wrong stats too) to make it sound like he can't play defense that well. One look at Koivu's game tells anyone that he's excellent defensively, and the stats back it up. Don't like a Hemsky teammate thrown into the mix? Too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
This is why Hemsky would be my first choice, an extra 80 points over 3.5 seasons is reason enough for me.

Hemsky in the 3.5 years is a .949 PPG and Koivu is .655PG in that same 3.5 years.

Please tell me why you would take Koivu over Hemsky?
How about we make this a more fair comparison.

In Hemsky's first four NHL seasons - .70 PPG. Koivu's (to date) - .65

Taking Koivu's first four years in comparison with Hemsky's 3rd-6th is not the way to do it. As the stats show, both players have had an obvious progression in their offensive stats based on their years in the league, not their age. Koivu has been late to the party, so to speak, so the comparison is flawed from the start.

But, points is just one aspect of this comparison. In fact, it's the only one that Hemsky has an advantage on. Koivu brings so much more than points. It's not even close outside of points.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Like that means anything.

Koivu leads his team in virtually every meaningful category (including +/-), some by a large margin, like points. His 3.5 more minutes per game come mainly by being the team's #1 forward penalty killer (for the #2 PK I might add), unlike Hemsky's whopping 6 seconds of PK work per game. In other words, Hemsky rides the pine when his team's shorthanded. Koivu will face the opposite team's best in a shutdown role and be the best offensive player on his team all in the same game. Plus he's turned to for every key faceoff, and he's not an injury magnet either. Hemsky's slightly better PPG this year is worth all that? Absolutely not.
Hemsky's line, like Koivu's is matched up against other teams top lines, and like Koivu, Hemsky excels in that role. Hemsky is also a guy who is on the ice in the final seconds when trying to protect a lead.

I'll give you the PK. It's never been something that MacT has ever tried Hemsky at and Koivu excels at it without doubt.

Hemsky is just as important to the Oilers as Koivu is to the Wild. Look at what having him out does to Horcoff and Penner. They basically become useless players offensively. The Oilers offense runs through Hemsky.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:07 AM
silkyjohnson50

For Detroit i'd take Koivu.

Hemsky is more talented offensively, but Koivu's overall game is better. Before he even became an offensive threat, Koivu was one of the better defensive forwards in the NHL.

If Detroit had Koivu, they could let him center the 2nd line with Hossa on his wing and let Datsyuk/Zetterberg reunite as the top line.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumphod View Post
Hemsky. Koivu is a ****ing dirty player like the Kostitsyns.
The Kostitsyns are dirty? News to me. They're just not soft like the sisters is all.

Anyway, Hemsky is the better player than Mikko Koivu currently.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:26 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Hemsky's line, like Koivu's is matched up against other teams top lines, and like Koivu, Hemsky excels in that role. Hemsky is also a guy who is on the ice in the final seconds when trying to protect a lead.

Hemsky is just as important to the Oilers as Koivu is to the Wild. Look at what having him out does to Horcoff and Penner. They basically become useless players offensively. The Oilers offense runs through Hemsky.
And why is that? Shawn Horcoff, not Ales Hemsky. Why is Koivu's line taking on other top lines? Koivu. If Hemsky was REALLY that good defensively, he would see PK time, especially on a team that has struggled mightily on the PK.

Mikko Koivu leads the Wild offense. He leads the Wild defense at the forward position. Among forwards he leads Wild in all categories and is T-4th in the NHL in ice time. He leads the team and is on the NHL leaderboard in all faceoff categories. He's the captain of the team. Is Hemsky important to the Oil? Absolutely. But can you say that he's equally important?

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Are you a troll?

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:31 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

elbows and slew foots

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
MerryJ99

Quote:

But, points is just one aspect of this comparison. In fact, it's the only one that Hemsky has an advantage on. Koivu brings so much more than points. It's not even close outside of points.
See that is exactly why I guess opinions differ, to some teams, Hemsky would be a much better option as they would benefit from his play more and some teams would need Koivu more. From an Oilers standpoint, we have that more rounded out forward that brings a lot more to the team than just points and that is Horcoff.

I also thought that Hemsky and Koivu were the same age, they have had three and a half seasons each at the same age and the same opponents more or less ad almost the same amount of games played, that is more than enough time for a comparison if you ask me, or do we have to wait 5 more?

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
elbows and slew foots
Why did I even ask, yes you're a troll.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Mikko Koivu leads the Wild offense. He leads the Wild defense at the forward position. Among forwards he leads Wild in all categories and is T-4th in the NHL in ice time. He leads the team and is on the NHL leaderboard in all faceoff categories. He's the captain of the team. Is Hemsky important to the Oil? Absolutely. But can you say that he's equally important?
Watching the Oilers every night, and seeing how our other "key" offensive players struggle without Hemsky in the lineup I can honestly say that yes, Hemsky is equally as important to the Oilers success as Koivu is to the Wilds. Just look what having Hemsky on his line has done for Dustin Penner. When he hasn't been on Hemsky's line (first part of the season up until he got scratched, and 10 games Hemsky was hurt) He had 7 points in 26 games. When he's been on Hemsky's line, he's got 16 points in 18 games.

Don't get me wrong, I think Koivu is a hell of a warrior, an absolute fantastic hockey player. And this is a pretty close comparison, even being a huge Oiler and Hemsky fan.

But to me, Hemsky is a player who is capable of winning hockey games on his own. He can take the team on his back and carry them to victory.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Bourdon

I don't know why we're trying to compare the two. Their style of play is quite the polar opposite. Hemsky is obviously the more flashier of the two, but it's hockey sense that runs Koivu's engine. I also love Koivu's compete level; I've heard that when the team loses, that he brings that with him off the ice. I just like Koivu better.

I'm a Canucks fan, so you can't accuse me of being biased or being a homer. I have Koivu in my pool this year, and had Hemsky last year. I know how talented they both are.

Regardless, these "or" polls are contrived in the sense that most people will pick the flash in the pan or the guy that produces the most points. What exactly does that conjunction mean? The most skilled player? The most important for their team? These things just turn into pissing matches, and frankly, it's too cold outside.

Bourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Mikkooo.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:19 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
elbows and slew foots
Why is the Ohlund stick swinging incident coming into mind?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:36 AM
JBIZ14

Bet he doesn't elbow Ohlund again.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:09 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Koivu. Fits our needs better.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
How about we make this a more fair comparison.

In Hemsky's first four NHL seasons - .70 PPG. Koivu's (to date) - .65

Taking Koivu's first four years in comparison with Hemsky's 3rd-6th is not the way to do it. As the stats show, both players have had an obvious progression in their offensive stats based on their years in the league, not their age. Koivu has been late to the party, so to speak, so the comparison is flawed from the start.
Except that it is fair since Hemsky is younger than Koivu. Its not like I used career stats to compare. Hemsky was just the better player at a younger age and still is.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:19 AM
El Maestro

Hemsky, he would be great in DC.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:02 AM
mytor4*

Not taking into account what my team might need i would take M.Koivu without a second thought.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:04 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Just what we need .Another skirt trolling.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 07:50 AM
tony d
The Future

Mikko Koivu

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 08:42 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Too close for me. I'll pick Koivu since it seems like he needs a bit more help.

EDIT: Looks like Koivu's winning actually. Also, how do you count the 'homer' votes? Are they completely discounted or are they worth like 1/2 the vote?

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Close pool,but always been a big Hemsky fan so he gets my vote

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Koivu

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
urho

This is really a close call. I'd still take Koivu as he's almost as effective offensively and better overal player (IMO!).

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
Too close for me. I'll pick Koivu since it seems like he needs a bit more help.

EDIT: Looks like Koivu's winning actually. Also, how do you count the 'homer' votes? Are they completely discounted or are they worth like 1/2 the vote?
Homer votes? You mean the people like Ravosky, Metalheadsen, Phaneufed and Hedgehog Hodgson among others who have already made it known in previous polls they'll not vote for Oilers whatsoever?

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote