HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Mikko Koivu or Ales Hemsky

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Hemsky (Not an Oiler fan) 97 31.70%
Koivu (Not a Wild fan) 122 39.87%
Hemsky (Oiler fan) 74 24.18%
Koivu (Wild fan) 13 4.25%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-29-2009, 01:28 AM
SchwenningerWildWing

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
I'm neither a Wild fan nor an Oiler fan and I would take Koivu, this guy does it all for the Wild and will be their franchise player. I don't see Hemsky as a franchise player. Also the stats don't tell the whole story. It wouldn't be even close to Hemsky if the Wild had some quality wingers to play with him. He is setting up chances to be among the league leaders in assists if Minnesota had someone who could bury them.

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Sampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwenningerWildWing View Post
Also the stats don't tell the whole story. It wouldn't be even close to Hemsky if the Wild had some quality wingers to play with him. He is setting up chances to be among the league leaders in assists if Minnesota had someone who could bury them.
To be fair, Hemsky has similar problems with his linemates (offensively speaking at least) and is far and away the best point producer for the Oilers. Both players would probably collect a lot more points with quality first line forwards.

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Michael Scofield

lol, Hemsky

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Dions shoulder

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=265200

Maybe take it with a grain of salt, but TSN tried to make a formula to find the 'players who lay it on the line', and Hemsky was second to last. (last place was Sam Gagner)

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Kamina
Amok

Hey, Spezza is 23 spots above Hemsky!

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Koivu.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:11 PM
MerryJ99

Well Tonight it was Hemsky

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dions shoulder View Post

Maybe take it with a grain of salt, but TSN tried to make a formula to find the 'players who lay it on the line', and Hemsky was second to last. (last place was Sam Gagner)
That list is complete and utter ****.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 03:37 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

lol. When Maxim Afinogenov (definition of a lazy player) beats you in a "laying it on the line" contest, you know you're terrible.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 04:47 AM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakovsky View Post
lol. When Maxim Afinogenov (definition of a lazy player) beats you in a "laying it on the line" contest, you know you're terrible.
Your posts reek of ****ing bias, and you say your not.

The act you try to put on is terrible and everyone can see through it, and don't try to tell me im just another Oilers fan or something, because I voted for Spezza, and I said Hemsky wasn't in the same level as Vinny. Your postd are just pure utter crap and you grasp for every single straw you can search. I don't know what the hell the formula is for players that put it "all on the line" but I say going other there and taking every hit you can to make a play and still being put on there proves that the list is terrible.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 05:13 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Changed my mind i would say Hemsky

Last edited by CASUAL KEV: 01-31-2009 at 05:21 AM.
CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 05:22 AM
marc-edouard grier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe View Post
To be fair, Hemsky has similar problems with his linemates (offensively speaking at least) and is far and away the best point producer for the Oilers. Both players would probably collect a lot more points with quality first line forwards.
To solve this problem, I present to you: The Minnenton Woilers!

First forward line: Gaborik-Koivu-Hemsky

Gaborik then proceeds to get injured putting on his skates

Then you get a first line of Antti Horcoff-Koivu-Hemsky

Wow, thats still a pretty average first line. Honestly, looking over at teams with 0 scoring like this makes me feel bad for their fans, and at the skilled players who have no support whatsoever. When you combine two teams and can only actually call 2 forwards 1st liners not made out of glass, it goes a long way to explain why said teams are fighting for playoff spots.

marc-edouard grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:01 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Hemsky's moves are... well I gotta say I'm sick and tired of the color guy on the radio ... but "MY GOD HE'S GOT SICK SKILLS!"

Love watching him cut into shooting areas. Very entertaining player to watch.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
razman22

Hemsky is entertaining without question. But if you want to win, it's Koivu. He's a warrior, not a ballet dancer.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
It's pretty sad actually that he feels the need to track down every Oiler thread just in order to pollute it with his garbage.

What can you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
Hemsky is entertaining without question. But if you want to win, it's Koivu. He's a warrior, not a ballet dancer.
Another uninformed opinion. Don't know where you got 'ballet dancer' but maybe you actually want to watch Hemsky this season before calling him that, hmm?

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Wheatking

If you could measure defensive skills in points, how much would they be worth? It seems like depending on the poll, sometimes they're worth 20 and others they're worth nothing. The same can be said for the ability to completely take over a game and win it all on your own.

Hemsky has 42 points in 38 games. Koivu isn't even a point per game. I'm just a little confused. Hemsky has had two 70+ point seasons and this season he has the point per game average of a 90 point player. Even in 72 games he's on pace for 80 points. Koivu's career high is 54 points and last season he had 42. This season he's on pace for 80 points aswell but in 10 more games. In the Spezza/Hemsky poll people said Spezza was better because had been the better player over a much longer period of time and that this season wasn't enough. In this case Hemsky has been significantly better offensively over the last few years and has been this season as well. Hell, Hemsky is a playmaker and has more goals in 10 less games. A lot of people say you're elite or a superstar if you're top 5 in your position. He's 8th in points amongst RWers and has the 2nd best point per game average. It's significantly higher than the 3rd best guy. If this was any other player people would be saying, 90 point players are too good to pass up...Hemsky's playing like one but it doesn't matter in this case. This time defensive skills are worth about 20 points and being a game breaker is worth nothing.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 12:40 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
I'd like for you to ask the Red Wings, Sharks, Ducks (and even the Canes) that. Let me know when Koivu wins a playoff round.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:14 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Koivu isn't even a point per game. Koivu's career high is 54 points and last season he had 42.
Koivu was a PPG player while last night's game was being contested. Today, he "isn't even a point per game"? Picky.

Last year Koivu was on pace for 70 points before he was chopped down by Ohlund. His recovery took away 25 games and his pace in points. That 42 points must be put into perspective.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Koivu was a PPG player while last night's game was being contested. Today, he "isn't even a point per game"? Picky.

Last year Koivu was on pace for 70 points before he was chopped down by Ohlund. His recovery took away 25 games and his pace in points. That 42 points must be put into perspective.
Sorry. I thought I addressed that. Both players have lost potential points because of injuries. Regardless, my point is still valid.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dions shoulder View Post

Am I missing something? Where is the formula?

And "taken with a grain of salt" is an understatement. Any list that has Hemsky, Spezza, Vanek, Kovalchuk, Cammalleri etc near the bottom is useless, and only a fool would actually think this list shows that a player is terrible (as illustrated a few posts above).

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Lettuce

Normally I would say Koivu. However, since Hemsky scored last night against the Wild and Koivu did not score, Hemsky is without a doubt the better player.

Lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Other notable players in the "bottom 25"

Jason Spezza
Simon Gagne
Daniel Sedin
Pat Kane
Thomas Vanek
Derek Roy
Mike Cammalleri
Teemu Selanne
Ilya Kovalchuk

Give me the worst 25 players for "laying it all on the line" over the top 25 any day.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 07:20 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Does anyone dispute Afinogenov is an incredibly lazy player and having players below him is pretty funny? I was just reiterating what the article said. Why flip out at me?

And hey, at least Daniel Sedin is above Afinogenov.

Old
01-31-2009, 07:24 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post

The act you try to put on is terrible and everyone can see through it, and don't try to tell me im just another Oilers fan or something, because I voted for Spezza, and I said Hemsky wasn't in the same level as Vinny. Your postd are just pure utter crap and you grasp for every single straw you can search. I don't know what the hell the formula is for players that put it "all on the line" but I say going other there and taking every hit you can to make a play and still being put on there proves that the list is terrible.
I hope you're not skipping English class to argue with me.

Old
01-31-2009, 09:46 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
I hope you're not skipping English class to argue with me.
I don't know why I'm arguing with an idiot.

I suppose that makes me an idiot too. Oh well.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote