HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1-27-09 Sharks at Avs 7 PM MT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2009, 02:00 PM
  #101
Christianmichael27
Registered User
 
Christianmichael27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, because I do remember some Sharks fans not being too fond of Hannan.


I'll say this though. Hannan may be overpaid, but he does his job and he does it well. He is quiet, but night in and night out he does do a pretty good job of neutralizing the other teams top forwards.
I think people were a little upset because he didn't stick around, he had problems with Ron Wilson; I don't blame him or anything. He was also being affectively replaced by Vlasic who is equal or better in his ability to shut down top lines and is better offensively as well. (plus he's only 21).

Christianmichael27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
  #102
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,616
vCash: 1125
I have grown to loathe the idea of a foward...any ****ing foward (Sakic, Wolski, anyone) playing point on the power-play. It simply does not work with any efficiency for this team and we can't keep the puck in the offensive zone long enough on most power-plays to sustain pressure.

What happened to Liles actually shooting the puck from the point instead of waiting and letting off a lame wrister right into an opposing player? Or waiting and televising a pass so everyone on the ice, in the arena and at home watching on TV knows exactly what he is planning on doing?

On the whole though, I don't think the AVs stunk up the place too bad. I was expecting worse. Just sucks to keep seeing games played go by without points being accumulated. Effort doesn't count towards a trip to the playoffs...points are the only thing that matters and as a result..the AVs get an F for last night.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
  #103
avs1dacup
Registered User
 
avs1dacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I have grown to loathe the idea of a foward...any ****ing foward (Sakic, Wolski, anyone) playing point on the power-play. It simply does not work with any efficiency for this team and we can't keep the puck in the offensive zone long enough on most power-plays to sustain pressure.

What happened to Liles actually shooting the puck from the point instead of waiting and letting off a lame wrister right into an opposing player? Or waiting and televising a pass so everyone on the ice, in the arena and at home watching on TV knows exactly what he is planning on doing?

On the whole though, I don't think the AVs stunk up the place too bad. I was expecting worse. Just sucks to keep seeing games played go by without points being accumulated. Effort doesn't count towards a trip to the playoffs...points are the only thing that matters and as a result..the AVs get an F for last night.
The problem with the Avs playing the point isn't that they won't shoot it, but they can't. It's hard to one-time pucks that are in your skates constantly. None of those guys back there are any good passing under pressure. Every pass ends up making the receiving player either reach to keep the puck and thus not being able to get a shot off or ends up in the receiving players skates. If they could pass the puck with any accuracy and speed, they'd be getting shots off from the point. Problem is they have neither.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:57 PM
  #104
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,616
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
The problem with the Avs playing the point isn't that they won't shoot it, but they can't. It's hard to one-time pucks that are in your skates constantly. None of those guys back there are any good passing under pressure. Every pass ends up making the receiving player either reach to keep the puck and thus not being able to get a shot off or ends up in the receiving players skates. If they could pass the puck with any accuracy and speed, they'd be getting shots off from the point. Problem is they have neither.
They've had games where they fired shots from the point though before...even this year with Liles on the point. Did they forget how to pass or are they playing differently? I don't see the rush to the net and the booming shot from the point. They've got guys like Smyth, Svatos, Jones, McLeod and Stewart who are all good at garbage goals...it seems like they are trying to set up Hejduk from the half-wall too much. They seem to be over-passing and looking for pretty plays even though they have the talent to crash and bang for ugly goals. They still appear passive even with a man-advantage.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
  #105
renodave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, because I do remember some Sharks fans not being too fond of Hannan.


I'll say this though. Hannan may be overpaid, but he does his job and he does it well. He is quiet, but night in and night out he does do a pretty good job of neutralizing the other teams top forwards.
The reason some of us Sharks fans were not too fond of him was that he added absolutely nothing offensively and commited horrible turnovers at the worst possible moments. His game has declined steadily since the lockout after they eliminated clutching and grabbing. He's still an above average stay-at-home D-Man, but you can't put a guy like Hannan out there for 20+ minutes a night and expect to be successful in the new NHL. I like Hannan as a 2nd/3rd line D-Man and a penalty killer. The Av's need a stud or two on the Blueline that can hammer the puck and carry it out of the zone without wetting their pants.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:50 PM
  #106
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburdick View Post
The reason some of us Sharks fans were not too fond of him was that he added absolutely nothing offensively and commited horrible turnovers at the worst possible moments. His game has declined steadily since the lockout after they eliminated clutching and grabbing. He's still an above average stay-at-home D-Man, but you can't put a guy like Hannan out there for 20+ minutes a night and expect to be successful in the new NHL. I like Hannan as a 2nd/3rd line D-Man and a penalty killer. The Av's need a stud or two on the Blueline that can hammer the puck and carry it out of the zone without wetting their pants.
YESSS You can!

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:37 PM
  #107
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 32,212
vCash: 500
I feel like Samuel L Jackson.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.