Old
01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
Kyle calder to Dallas - Per Eklund

Lets consider the source shall we!
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...O-DOAN/1/18947
Quote:
Calder is on a one year deal, a Lombardi special, the kind of guy that he signs for a year who can definitely have trade value for a team looking for a third line guy who can score and MAYBE jump onto a top line spot as an emergency fill-in. Essentially, see his recent work on the Red Wings.

Interestingly enough, The Hawks have been rumored to be interested, but today I am hearing alot on Dallas and Nashville.
And he also has:
Manny Malhotra @ 40%
Johnny Oduya @ 20%
Doug Weight @ 30%
Radek Bonk @ 10%

The only one of that list that we need is Oduya

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
And he also has:
Manny Malhotra @ 40%
Johnny Oduya @ 20%
Doug Weight @ 30%
Radek Bonk @ 10%

The only one of that list that we need is Oduya
please don't be Doug Weight or Manny Malhotra.

I am really not interested in anyone on that list though

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Starsdude

I would rather be a seller than buyer especially with the goaltending we are getting

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Kyle Calder sucks. Hard.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Fly Like a C5

This makes perfect sense. A left shot winger with questionable offensive ability is just what Dallas needs

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Jere Lehtinen to NJ? According to Eklund...
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-to-NJ/1/18957

Old
01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

lol. Lehtinen will forever be a Dallas Star.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Maybe Eklund comes here to HF and he read your post about Lehtinen, Modano and Zubov are going to retire a star..

Old
01-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
maybe but as a free agent to be I am not opposed to trading him for a decent pick #2 perhaps and resign him for another year or 2 over the summer

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:51 AM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
maybe but as a free agent to be I am not opposed to trading him for a decent pick #2 perhaps and resign him for another year or 2 over the summer
blasphemy!

He has played his entire career with Dallas. And he has been playing at undermarket value, shame on us if we trade him for a #2 pick in the twilight years of his career. I will not be happy.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
blasphemy!

He has played his entire career with Dallas. And he has been playing at undermarket value, shame on us if we trade him for a #2 pick in the twilight years of his career. I will not be happy.
I highly doubt he gets traded, but if he does, how does that hurt the Stars at all?

If Jackson trades him, that means the Stars would have to be well out of the playoff race. Jere Lehtinen will be an Unrestricted Free Agent. If he wants to end his career as a Star, he'll re-sign. If he doesn't want to be traded, he won't (he has a NTC).

Playoff teams would die for the chance to have a player like Lehtinen. Throw him on the checking line of a deep team, and that is just scary. He would probably get a good return.

I’d rather he not be traded, but I would gladly take the assets he would get in return. People acting like him getting traded would be the end of the world is amusing.

As long as the Stars toil around 4-5 points out of the playoffs, he will never be traded.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:01 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Don't assume someone will re-sign with you after you've traded them as a rental. I can only think of Tkachuk doing that recently.

Old
01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Don't assume someone will re-sign with you after you've traded them as a rental. I can only think of Tkachuk doing that recently.
Don't assume they'll re-sign if you don't trade them.

Like I already said, he has a NTC. If he's traded, it will be on his terms.

Old
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Don't assume they'll re-sign if you don't trade them.

Like I already said, he has a NTC. If he's traded, it will be on his terms.
I think it's safe to assume Lehtinen would re-sign with the team if he isn't traded.

Old
01-20-2009, 12:41 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I think it's safe to assume Lehtinen would re-sign with the team if he isn't traded.
If that is safe to assume (which I believe it is), then it is safe to assume he will re-sign if he is traded.

You can't be mad at the organization for trading you when you control whether or not you are traded.

It's a simple conversation:

"Jere, do you want to play for a contender for the rest of your current contract?"

If he says no, the conversation is over. If he wants a shot at the cup this year (and Dallas actually wants to move him), he'll get that opportunity.

Old
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
I have to side with Big on this one. Though, even with that said, I would hate looking at Jere's career stats and seeing:

DAL
DAL
DAL
DAL
PIT
DAL

It's like a smudge. And I picked the Penguins because I don't like the Penguins .

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
If that is safe to assume (which I believe it is), then it is safe to assume he will re-sign if he is traded.

You can't be mad at the organization for trading you when you control whether or not you are traded.

"Jere, do you want to play for a contender for the rest of your current contract?"

If he says no, the conversation is over. If he wants a shot at the cup this year (and Dallas actually wants to move him), he'll get that opportunity.
Maybe we can get an overpayment from a desperate team like Atlanta did with Tkachuk.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:14 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Maybe we can get an overpayment from a desperate team like Atlanta did with Tkachuk.
I hope Lehtinen remains a Star. I still want to believe they make the playoffs.

Honestly, I just didn't understand how anyone could say it was a bad thing for Lehtinen to be traded if it comes to that.

Old
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
I hope Lehtinen remains a Star. I still want to believe they make the playoffs.

Honestly, I just didn't understand how anyone could say it was a bad thing for Lehtinen to be traded if it comes to that.
Don't look for logic from the trading Lehtinen is a sign of the Appocalypse crowd. They have their fanboy notions and Jere in another jersey makes them crazy. Forget about the fact that he'd have to agree and that the return from that trade would make Dallas a better team next year or in the future.

I don't expect it to happen but I wouldn't be upset either. Just like I've gotten to the point that if Columbus offered Goloubef or Ruth plus their first for Modano I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Still trading players but keeping this coaching staff doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. I've gotten to the point where it won't matter who's on the ice, they won't play better till a better system is installed. But because of that stupid contract Tippet signed this off season that won't happen. Hicks all ready has too many sunk costs. He won't add another unless he has to.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:

I don't think it's that simple. Jere is such a team guy that I think he would consider a trade just in order to help the Stars, as long as it was to a team he felt comfortable with.

But once you trade a guy you introduce unknowns. Maybe it turns out he really likes the team he gets traded to. Maybe he has great linemates. Maybe he even wins a Cup. Maybe Hull makes another stupid signing in the summer that he doesn't agree with. Maybe he holds it against the Stars in a passive aggressive way. You never know. It certainly seems to me that the chances of him re-signing get diminished if he's traded.

Old
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Maybe he really hated the Avery signing and isn't planning on resigning with the Stars after this season. Maybe he doesn't like the current direction of the franchise and doesn't want to resign after this season.

This thread can go on for a long, long time if we start playing the maybe game.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I don't expect it to happen but I wouldn't be upset either. Just like I've gotten to the point that if Columbus offered Goloubef or Ruth plus their first for Modano I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
You had to do it.

BG does not support this statement in any way. I choose to not express my opinion one way or the other on this topic and request the **** storm be directed at HF. I don't want any of the shrapnel.

Old
01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
You had to do it.

BG does not support this statement in any way. I choose to not express my opinion one way or the other on this topic and request the **** storm be directed at HF. I don't want any of the shrapnel.

I'll take the flack. Just man up and give your opinion. Don't get me wrong. I don't think there's a chance in hell that it happens but to improve this team, changes have to be made. The defense has to be improved, along with goaltending and right wing. Modano's best days are behind him and his floating seems to have risen to a new high this year.

I want this team to compete for the top spot in the division next year. If trading Modano, Lehtinen, Robidas, Lundqvist, Sutherby, and Barch is what it takes so be it.

My dream would be to make the above Modano trade then add say Robidas to the New York Islanders for Mark Streit. Then sign a guy like Komisarik this off season and they've basically rebuilt the defense.

Again I have no delusions. It won't happen but I am tired of the floating and would really love to move a couple of guys so they are better next year when Morrow's healthy and a defenseman or two will be signed.

Old
01-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Dave Karp

First off a huge No to all those guys.

Secondly, I wouldn't trade Lehts, unless he wanted to be traded to a contender. You can call me a 'fanboy' , but the problem with today's sports is that there isn't much loyalty to the players. It's run too much like a business and when a guy is passed their prime they think of ways to exploit them. Lehts (and Mo for that matter) have played their whole careers for the Dallas franchise and to just trade them at the deadline for picks and players that may or may not work-out for the team is just dumb.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Well heck if we're going to talk fantasy GM and trades here's my dream scenario. It starts with the stipulation that Dallas falls by the wayside in February. That probably only happens if Ribiero and/or Richards gets injured but while we're talking hypotheticals.

My above posted trade with Modano going to Columbus for their 1st, plus Goloubef or Ruth.

Then I'd trade Jere Lehtinen to Montreal for Ryan McDonagh and their 4th.

Trade Lundqvist and Sutherby both for a pick.

In the off season I turnaround and offer either Dallas' first or Columbus' first (whichever is lower in the first round) Fistric or Goloubef/Ruth, Robidas, one of the picks we get from trading Lundqvist/Sutherby, and Avery to the New York Islanders for Mark Streit and a 2nd.

Now I know the first question you ask is why would the Islanders take Avery. Money. If they trade Streit they need to take on salary somewhere to meet the cap floor. If they want to buy him out. They can. If they need his cap on the books for a while they can just healthy scratch him or send him to the minors to see if he really is rehabilitated. Regardless by adding him and Robidas they almost make up the salary of Streit.

Then I sign Komisarek. Re-sign Lehtinen in the off season for a reasonable 1.75 million. If they like Sutherby they can bring him back too or roll with the kids.

Morrow-Riberio-Brunnstrom
Neal-Richards-Eriksson
Sutherby-Ott-Lehtinen (checking line)
Peterson

and whichever two kids earn a spot out of training camp. I would assume Sawada and Wandell would have the inside track but a guy like Sceviour, Benn, or heck even Lammers might make an impression. Those two may change as the year goes on and guys who surge at the AHL level or struggle at the NHL level push in and out of the lineup.

Barch is their 13th forward/healthy scratch.

Streit-Komisarek
Daley-Grossman
McDonagh-Niskanen
Hutchinson

Oh and I'd seriously look at moving Turco if a good deal comes along and signing a guy like Ersberg if possible.

Then draft MSP, Cowen, Schroeder, or Duschene (depending on which pick they end up with) and Dallas is good to go for next year and the future. Not that I expect any of that to happen outside of moving Lundqvist and/or Sutherby at the deadline but hey, I can dream can't I?