HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

1/27/09: "Back to Work!" Flyers @ Panthers

View Poll Results: Tonights Loser
Flyers 17 70.83%
Panthers 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
How many times over the past few seasons, before this season, has this team carried a one goal lead late into the third, and end up letting the team tie it up? Enough to give us all heartache. And how many times has that happened this season? Cant really think of any situations. That is a big turn around from the previous blank number of seasons, which is proven by the 17-1-1 record we have when taking a lead into the third.
Well, it's like I was saying at the beginning of the season when discussing the Panthers' chances. If the team is exactly the same only they solve the problem of the 3rd period collapses and win half the games they lost last year, they're a playoff team. DeBoer, even when the team was faltering earlier this season, seemed to have improved the team enough with his coaching that they weren't melting down in the third anymore.

Incidentally - the Panthers are in 8th place for the third time this month. I'm hoping it's a sign that they're coming over the hump finally. DeBoer, if nothing else this season, proves he's the right coach for this team and ready for the NHL. Now the only question is are these the right players to reach the postseason?

If the Panthers do make it in, DeBoer has to be an Adams contender, even despite the improvement is only 10 points. Hopefully those in the know will see how the team as a whole is playing much better game in and game out than the last three seasons. Much more consistency, much more effort.

01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Well, it's like I was saying at the beginning of the season when discussing the Panthers' chances. If the team is exactly the same only they solve the problem of the 3rd period collapses and win half the games they lost last year, they're a playoff team. DeBoer, even when the team was faltering earlier this season, seemed to have improved the team enough with his coaching that they weren't melting down in the third anymore.

Incidentally - the Panthers are in 8th place for the third time this month. I'm hoping it's a sign that they're coming over the hump finally. DeBoer, if nothing else this season, proves he's the right coach for this team and ready for the NHL. Now the only question is are these the right players to reach the postseason?

If the Panthers do make it in, DeBoer has to be an Adams contender, even despite the improvement is only 10 points. Hopefully those in the know will see how the team as a whole is playing much better game in and game out than the last three seasons. Much more consistency, much more effort.
I think we are team that nobody would want to face in the playoffs. I feel that aside from Boston, we play well against every other team above us. We have a couple of vets that know what kind of grind the playoffs are, and rolling out three lines constantly over a seven game series could really give teams some trouble. And who knows, maaaaaaybe we get another Dman back in time for a playoff run. We are a grind it out team, and the way the playoffs are played and ref'd, I think that could benefit us.

Old
01-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
I think we are team that nobody would want to face in the playoffs. I feel that aside from Boston, we play well against every other team above us. We have a couple of vets that know what kind of grind the playoffs are, and rolling out three lines constantly over a seven game series could really give teams some trouble. And who knows, maaaaaaybe we get another Dman back in time for a playoff run. We are a grind it out team, and the way the playoffs are played and ref'd, I think that could benefit us.
If your talking about Allen. He won't be back this season. He said in an interview a few games ago that he won't be back skating till summer and plans to be ready for camp next year.

Old
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post

I completely agree JM hired the perfect coach who put in place the perfect system for the type of team and the type of players we have. And he had only coached 47 games in the NHL. Just think how much better he will be as a coach once he really gets that NHL coaching experience under his belt.

Old
01-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Just to be accurate, we suck against New Jersey more than any other team. Strangely enough, we've had success against Boston except for this year.

As somebody mentioned, Campbell was awesome in the final minutes of that game.

Old
01-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Just to be accurate, we suck against New Jersey more than any other team. Strangely enough, we've had success against Boston except for this year.

As somebody mentioned, Campbell was awesome in the final minutes of that game.
isn't Brodeur suppose to be back by the playoffs? It would really suck if we finally got in only to draw NJ as the team to play against in our first playoff series in 8 year.

Old
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
RainingRats

I'm going to throw out a couple of criticisms just for discussion. I think the teams has played really well lately but still needs some tweaking.

Horton has been "in the game" more than before his injury but he still hasn't learned to get his shot off quicker! It is so frustrating. At this point its on the coaches. There have been way too many chances where he is either coming around the top of the circle or down the slot and he drags the puck and then a player from the other team either blocks it or checks his stick down. I can't stand it anymore! It seems this happens at least two times a game. If he can get his shot off quicker, which he def can, he would have a lot more goals. This is so easily corrected and I can't believe someone on the coaching staff hasn't corrected this. If we can get Horton going we'll make the playoffs. He has blown so many scoring opportunities this season because of not getting his shot off quick enough.

I still think this team is getting too cute in the offensive zone. Too many cross ice passes, too many shots passed up for the perfect goal. This is a probably a result of those 5 games with a high average of goals scored. Players got too confident.They need to keep it simple because, imo, that always works best, especially when we have D-men coming down the slot for rebounds.

I also think our D needs to be more conscience in not letting players get behind them in the neutral zone which has lead to more breakaways and odd man rushes in January than I've seen most of the season.

All of these problems are easily correctable. I'm not raining on the parade here, just bringing it up to discuss. I think its easy to overlook important things when we're playing well.

Old
01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
isn't Brodeur suppose to be back by the playoffs? It would really suck if we finally got in only to draw NJ as the team to play against in our first playoff series in 8 year.
No kidding! It could end up being the same result as the last time we were in the playoffs...

Old
01-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
''It's about time Ballard hit my stick and not my shins,'' said a grinning Booth, who has reached 20 goals for the second time in his three NHL seasons. He got his third game-winning goal of the season.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ho...ry/875560.html

01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
lol, that's hilarious! Booth is a character.

Closed Thread