HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Combine - Monday June 1st

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2009, 03:11 PM
  #1
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Habs Combine - Monday June 1st

Around 40 prospects will be there, with some off-ice but also contrary to this weekend with some on-ice activities. Everything will be at their practice facility.

There doesn't seem to be an official list for some obscure reasons. But amongst the names that Michel Villeneuve gave today:

Éric Gélinas
Gabriel Lemieux (or Philippe Paradis or both, don't know 'cause Villeneuve said the name GABRIEL PARADIS...)
Alex Chiasson
Louis Leblanc

Seems that out of 40, there will be 20 guys from the Q, a few OHL'ers, WHL'ers and US kids as well. Of course, he didn't name them but guys like Caron, Roussel, Gilbert, Despres, Kulikov, Savard, Jodoin and a few others will also be there. I believe that Dumont would/should be there but with all his injuries, if he is, I wouldn't expect to see him on the ice. That the CSS list and most Q guys should be there, actually it would be great to know who won't be, 'cause 20 Q guys, there's approx. 30 guys in the whole CSS list.

Unless somebody else in here have the other names, it would be great to know them. If not, it seems that Monday around 4:00, Martin McGuire will give his impression of how it went and maybe with some other names as well.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 03:32 PM
  #2
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,273
vCash: 500
Is there a place where we can have the official list for tomorrow?

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 04:43 PM
  #3
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Is there a place where we can have the official list for tomorrow?
I don't believe there ever going to be a list unless they decide later to make it more public. I know that they usually don't 'cause in the end, a guy like Kristo was on last year's combine and they picked him so at one point, you can bet a whole lot that a few guys in there will be picked by us, so they want to open their game to the rest of the teams so much. But then it will be in Brossard and it will be wide open. Thing is, I'm totally convince that the kids won't have their name on their back like a dev. and rookie camp. So unless you know by face all those kids, you won't know who it is. I'm wondering how Villeneuve got that sample of names though.

Seems that the Bruins have one of their own next Wednesday.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:12 PM
  #4
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,224
vCash: 500
They talked about the combine in l'Antichambre, that half of the 40 prospects there were from the Q, and Luc Gelinas promptly bashed the organization saying it was all public relationship, mostly ******** finally...

We could of had interesting informations, but no, bashing bashing bashing... l'Antichambre looks like 110% on some nights

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:22 PM
  #5
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
They talked about the combine in l'Antichambre, that half of the 40 prospects there were from the Q, and Luc Gelinas promptly bashed the organization saying it was all public relationship, mostly ******** finally...

We could of had interesting informations, but no, bashing bashing bashing... l'Antichambre looks like 110% on some nights
On "some" nigths? Give me a shout whenver they don't look like 110, i'd like to see that. I'd say 110% has more good will than those couche-tards.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:24 PM
  #6
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 500
i wish i could punch Luc Gelinas in the face

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:30 PM
  #7
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
i wish i could punch Luc Gelinas in the face
Jacques Thériault also...

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:35 PM
  #8
Faute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Hubert Labrie (Gatineau) will also be there.

http://www.lanouvelle.net/article-34...Tricolore.html

Faute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:08 PM
  #9
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
They talked about the combine in l'Antichambre, that half of the 40 prospects there were from the Q, and Luc Gelinas promptly bashed the organization saying it was all public relationship, mostly ******** finally...

We could of had interesting informations, but no, bashing bashing bashing... l'Antichambre looks like 110% on some nights
While Michel Bergeron and Michel Villeneuve congratulated the org. on CKAC earlier today. Thing is....nobody seems to be aware that it's not the first combine....it started in 2006 if I'm not mistaken. Not sure there was one in 2005, but surely in 2006.

As far as public relations, well it could very well be. Based on the past 3 years, you would think that Timmins would appreciate more to invite some US kids than some Q kids. But at least, they are doing it and give the kids from our own backyard to impress them so they'd have no choice but to pick him. If they would not do it, they'd be bashed for not doing like some teams are doing which is to have their own combine...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:12 PM
  #10
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
While Michel Bergeron and Michel Villeneuve congratulated the org. on CKAC earlier today. Thing is....nobody seems to be aware that it's not the first combine....it started in 2006 if I'm not mistaken. Not sure there was one in 2005, but surely in 2006.

As far as public relations, well it could very well be. But at least, they are doing it. If they would not do it, they'd be bashed for not doing like some teams are doing which is to have their own combine...
yeaa i remember in 2006 i think it was there that Timmins was sold on Mathieu Carle ( i think they did some test and saw that he had real fast feet)

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:28 PM
  #11
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't believe there ever going to be a list unless they decide later to make it more public. I know that they usually don't 'cause in the end, a guy like Kristo was on last year's combine and they picked him so at one point, you can bet a whole lot that a few guys in there will be picked by us, so they want to open their game to the rest of the teams so much. But then it will be in Brossard and it will be wide open. Thing is, I'm totally convince that the kids won't have their name on their back like a dev. and rookie camp. So unless you know by face all those kids, you won't know who it is. I'm wondering how Villeneuve got that sample of names though.

Seems that the Bruins have one of their own next Wednesday.
Quailer was at the Habs combine last year and obviously he really impressed Habs scouts. I'm guessing there will be a bunch of US players who are floating relatively under the radar at this combine. I hope Kreider is there just so Habs scouts can evaluate him versus CHL players at the combine. The only question mark with Kreider seems to be the talent level that he has played against.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 12:50 AM
  #12
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Jacques Thériault also...
You think Jacques Thériault would also like to punch Gélinas in the face????

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 12:56 AM
  #13
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
i wish i could punch Luc Gelinas in the face
Also said that Kristo was a small player but a few seconds later he said that we should have drafted David Perron...

Anyway according to their logic, if we don't invite a lot of QMJHL players, there is a problem and if we invite a lot of QMJHL players it's only public relationship...

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:03 AM
  #14
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,744
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
****, they invited Louis Leblanc.
Here;s to Kulikov eating him alive at the combine.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:22 AM
  #15
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
yeaa i remember in 2006 i think it was there that Timmins was sold on Mathieu Carle ( i think they did some test and saw that he had real fast feet)
Yes sir.....and like I keep saying, one of the reason why he didn't want to pick Claude Giroux as well....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:32 AM
  #16
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,938
vCash: 500
The habs won't do "public relations" by interviewing Q players in an hotel during an event the vast, vast majority of habs fans don't even know exist and care even less about.

"Hi kid, you're from Trois-Rivière, right? No, we don't really want to draft you, we just want journalists to report we interviewed you, you know, just so that we looks good..."

It's hard to believe they are really serious when they spout this kind of crap on TV.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:37 AM
  #17
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Anyway according to their logic, if we don't invite a lot of QMJHL players, there is a problem and if we invite a lot of QMJHL players it's only public relationship...
Well, they have to live with the fact that they chose 1 Q player in the last 3 years. And 1 Q player who's pretty average as far as I'm concerned. I mean, if you go as far as having your own combine as they've been having for the past 4 years now and usually concentrate your efforts in inviting mostly Quebecers but end up not picking them, either they've all failed the test, either it might be public relations.

Point is, even if it were public relations, at least they are inviting them. At least they are giving the chance for the players to blow them away. Now, they would have to pick a few to break the idea that he's not too fond of Q players or that he prefers US players.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:42 AM
  #18
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
The habs won't do "public relations" by interviewing Q players in an hotel during an event the vast, vast majority of habs fans don't even know exist and care even less about.

"Hi kid, you're from Trois-Rivière, right? No, we don't really want to draft you, we just want journalists to report we interviewed you, you know, just so that we looks good..."

It's hard to believe they are really serious when they spout this kind of crap on TV.
The Habs combine this year will be at their facility in Brossard where off-ice but also on-ice performances will be analyzed. Don't worry there will be journalists out there to see what is going on and will report. I would agree with you if there wouldn't be a big fuss about it but the fact that this subject took the kind of proportion it did, I'm pretty sure it is important for them to show that they care. You don't want to believe it, fine. I just believe that after Timmins specifically said that the Habs didn't need scouts for the Q since he was often around but then ended up choosing 2 part-time Q scouts a little later on after a ton of criticisms on the radio and on TV about the fact that we didn't have any scouts, I also believe that media pressure had a part in it.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:14 AM
  #19
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Here... someone put a CH on there and you'll have your Habs Combine!



Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:00 PM
  #20
Magic33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,561
vCash: 500
Nick Petersen from Shawinigan is also going to be at the combine tomorrow.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:25 PM
  #21
MajorBoost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well, they have to live with the fact that they chose 1 Q player in the last 3 years. And 1 Q player who's pretty average as far as I'm concerned. I mean, if you go as far as having your own combine as they've been having for the past 4 years now and usually concentrate your efforts in inviting mostly Quebecers but end up not picking them, either they've all failed the test, either it might be public relations.

Point is, even if it were public relations, at least they are inviting them. At least they are giving the chance for the players to blow them away. Now, they would have to pick a few to break the idea that he's not too fond of Q players or that he prefers US players.....

Actually they drafted 2 of them in the last 3 draft... Carle and Fortier... And I guess that Fortier is the pretty average one you were talking about

MajorBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
  #22
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
Nick Petersen from Shawinigan is also going to be at the combine tomorrow.
I usually never use never....but Petersen will probably be at best of some use for Chuck Weber and the Cyclones. If you guys think that Chipchura and Latendresse are slow....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
  #23
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorBoost View Post
Actually they drafted 2 of them in the last 3 draft... Carle and Fortier... And I guess that Fortier is the pretty average one you were talking about
Thanks. Missed Carle for whatever stupid reason. And yes, Fortier is the one I'm talking about. Though I wasn't high on Carle whatsoever 'cause of some attitude issues I was told by a Carle's relative prior to the draft. That was out of nowhere, in the development camp prior to Carle's pick. And it's not about the guy partying. It's nothing about a kid being a kid.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:53 PM
  #24
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I usually never use never....but Petersen will probably be at best of some use for Chuck Weber and the Cyclones. If you guys think that Chipchura and Latendresse are slow....
you think peterson is slow? he's no speedster but he's not slow like chipchura but he's soft as hell and a perimiter players

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:17 PM
  #25
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
you think peterson is slow? he's no speedster but he's not slow like chipchura but he's soft as hell and a perimiter players
He's got a good chance at making the team then...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.