HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melanson: the jury is out...

Old
03-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I'd have to say i agree with that. The way Price played in that shootout against NYR was really bizarre. looked like something Mr Miyagi taught daniel-san
When you reach that level, you've been playing goal for many years. And when you've had as much success as Price has had with the style he's been playing his whole life, and you get to that level and have to start thinking about your positioning and style instead of playing by instinct, it's a recipe for failure and that's exactly what Price is doing right now. He's thinking instead of playing goal and that's because his mind is on learning a new style.

I'd rather have him play his natural hybrid style like he did his entire career, like Brodeur does, and have a goalie coach who will be able to make only slight adjustments (glove up, stick down, positioning, etc) than having him think of his entire technique during games. The play is too fast at the NHL level to start messing with that.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
When you reach that level, you've been playing goal for many years. And when you've had as much success as Price has had with the style he's been playing his whole life, and you get to that level and have to start thinking about your positioning and style instead of playing by instinct, it's a recipe for failure and that's exactly what Price is doing right now. He's thinking instead of playing goal and that's because his mind is on learning a new style.

I'd rather have him play his natural hybrid style like he did his entire career, like Brodeur does, and have a goalie coach who will be able to make only slight adjustments (glove up, stick down, positioning, etc) than having him think of his entire technique during games. The play is too fast at the NHL level to start messing with that.
For the playoffs in Hamilton he played big. looked big. was on his feet about 40% of the time. That crouch thing was disturbing to see from the shooters perspective last week. It looked really uncomfortable

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 08:58 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Im a firm believer in accountabilty.

Im bumping this in response to the TSN crew praising Melanson for Carey's return to form and confidence.

So to all those who went on and on about how Rollie is the problem...

TSN crew > your opinion

Old
03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post

Im bumping this in response to the TSN crew praising Melanson for Carey's return to form and confidence.

TSN crew > your opinion
Maggie the monkey > TSN crew

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Carey's problems were not technical for the most part, they were mental. A goalie coach can help you have good technique, but he can't play the game for you. Plus, there were all the off ice crap.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
LeMAD

Flawless...Price's technique is absolutely flawless.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Kirk Muller

Price's problems generally were confidence which created problems technically and mentally. I doubt it was anything Rollie did specifically but more CP regaining his composure.

I know Price is given star treatment and declaration but it amazes me that people seem to think he is going to be the only goalie in NHL history to be an instant Superstar without any hitches along the way. You still see Fleury, Dipietro, Lehtonen still have these stretches were they can't stop a beach ball and they are 3-4 years further in development.

Last edited by Kirk Muller: 03-31-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post

TSN crew > your opinion
You see me pleased that you searched for that thread for me as I was about to bring it back up. To those who are knowledgeable enough to notice, you'll see that Price has changed his style back to staying on his feet more. He's not quite back to his old self but he's looking more like the hybrid he once was. I was coming here to point out that someone in the organization must be reading this thread.

Old
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
NewHabsEra*

Melancon was obviously the prob.. should have been fired years ago..

Seriously, watching Huet tonight, I think the guy seriously miss Melancon.. What a waste of money by the Hawks, unbelievable..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Melanson was and still is. I'd still make the switch. I don't know if the change back to Price's old style has to do with Melanson himself, from higher up or from Price who said "screw that, I'm going back to what worked in the past", but there's a change in his style.

Old
03-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Price blows hot and cold for periods at a time. When he's cold it's usually as a result of low confidence manifesting itself as dropping early and guessing. Everyone knows this.

/thread
/discussion of Melanson

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

This would be too easy... but unfortunately, life is more complex than that.

Old
03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
This would be too easy... but unfortunately, life is more complex than that.
So instead, its some big NHL conspiracy where someone read your posts on HFBoards and told Price to stop listening to Melanson. Or Price decided to start ignoring his superior.

Go coach Jean Beliveau how to play goalie as a captain again.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 11:31 PM
deandebean

Are you Legoalie from another forum?

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:04 AM
GNick42

The knock on Roland Melanson coming out of Montreal has been his mental approach to the game. We've seen it a number of times over recent years with a different netminders. And again this season with Price back a few months ago. I remember a game against the Rangers where he was absolutely brutal in a shoot out game.

That being said he is playing better lately. Tracking the puck and staying square to the shooter not going down as quickly as he did. Price respond well last season after Gainey shocked the team by trading away Huet and handing the 20 year-old the #1 duties. Then again this year Price seems to stepped it up once Halak played less. Maybe Bob had strategy to inject confidence in Price by playing him and showing he is number one.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 05:52 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Oh boy, Price changed back to his style?

He didn't change his style at all, he just gained his confidence back, he's challenging the puck again.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Oh boy, Price changed back to his style?
Agreed, biggest pile of nonesense I've read this week.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:21 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Carey's problems were not technical for the most part, they were mental. A goalie coach can help you have good technique, but he can't play the game for you. Plus, there were all the off ice crap.
He admitted it himself, he was always going down no matter what, now he goes down only when necessary. So i would say it was technical. Losing alot of games does not help the mental thats for sure.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
flappuck

Funny how when Price goes through a funk, people blame everything from technique to mental preparation for Price on Melanson but when he plays well, people undermine how much he has to do with Price`s mental preparation and technique.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Funny how when Price goes through a funk, people blame everything from technique to mental preparation for Price on Melanson but when he plays well, people undermine how much he has to do with Price`s mental preparation and technique.
People=Asterix

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
He admitted it himself, he was always going down no matter what, now he goes down only when necessary. So i would say it was technical. Losing alot of games does not help the mental thats for sure.
Thank you!

Old
04-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Thank you!
That post really had nothing to do with anything. The "points" you're trying to make are actually pretty funny considering Carey Price has been known this year not to listen at all to Melanson or anyone for that matter, telling people to "relax man". Until recently that is after all the **** he went through.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
That post really had nothing to do with anything. The "points" you're trying to make are actually pretty funny considering Carey Price has been known this year not to listen at all to Melanson or anyone for that matter, telling people to "relax man". Until recently that is after all the **** he went through.
Please find me the source of that as it's the first time I hear such absurdity.

Old
04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Please find me the source of that as it's the first time I hear such absurdity.
frank from CHfans, basically golden as a source from what I've seen(better than molsonman imo), best friend of Bouillon. Rarely comes out publically about anything, but he's been pretty vocal about how pissed off he's been about Prices horrible attitude this year.

Old
04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
frank from CHfans, basically golden as a source from what I've seen(better than molsonman imo), best friend of Bouillon. Rarely comes out publically about anything, but he's been pretty vocal about how pissed off he's been about Prices horrible attitude this year.
I'll stick to my sources if you don't mind... Frank...