HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most pleasant surprise so far

View Poll Results: Which of the following has been the biggest surprise to you?
Marleau having his best season right after his worst season 28 23.73%
Clowe becoming a 1st class power forward 4 3.39%
Setoguchi becoming a legit 1st liner this quickly 36 30.51%
Plihal with 12 pts and playing solid 2-way hockey 2 1.69%
Boyle's two-way play 11 9.32%
Blake not playing like an old man 20 16.95%
Lemieux actually making the full comeback 12 10.17%
Semenov stepping up the last 5-10 games 5 4.24%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Lars Bjorn

vCash: 500
None of those options were locks by any stretch, but some of them you could see coming (i.e. Clowe and Seto both had obvious potential, it was just a matter of whether they'd show up and put it all together). Lemieux was the true surprise, never saw it coming, and once he was even in the AHL, it still wasn't clear he was going to be brought up to the big club right away and (for now, it seems) stick there.

The option I'd have liked to pick and was left off was MEV's offense. I admit I was probably more pessimistic about him than most after last year, but I was concerned his sophomore slump exposed problems and wasn't convinced he'd make drastic steps forward. He's been poised and smart from the first, but at the same time I don't think you can honestly say there were obvious signs that he had a lot of offense in him based on his work in the NHL.

Honorable mention, 3rd place to Blake living up to his $5 mil I didn't expect him to warrant quite so much money, but I did expect him to do better than he did in LA, and I wasn't worried about the amount since its just a 1-year deal.

Lars Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 01:29 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
One word:

Semenov.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
DoubleMinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
I will have to add one to the list.

I thought the decision to hire T-Mac was a poor one at the time but boy have I been wrong. I really wanted Tortorella but I am glad they opted for T-Mac.
wow... seriously man?? T-Mac was 1st on my list when they announced RW was fired. As soon as we heard he was contacted by Dougie for an interview I knew he would get the job.

I voted Blake. Simple reasoning for me. Most of the other options were to be expected IMO.

Marleau only had upside after last years debacle. I had always excpected Seto to shine. Clowe was a no brainer also, granted he is exceeding my expectations. Pilon has been better but not enough to warrant a vote from me. Pepe was a late story and is still yet to prove he can go night after night. Boyle has always been a great story, just on a not so great team. Bringing him to SJ, combined with The Todd's system has proved his worth but its not really that surprising to me.

and thats my 2cents

DoubleMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:16 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburdick View Post
I voted for Boyle. I knew he was good but I didn't know he was such a commanding, puck moving presence out there. Very solid on D as well. Clearly the head of the class for the Norris IMO.
Agree.
  • Marleau's not a surprise. It was a surprise that he had his worst year as a pro last year. That he recovered his level of play is expected of the team captain.
  • Blake was not a surprise to me. He's lost a step and is not as punishing, but the cannon has never left.
  • Lemieux is still early in the experiment.
  • Semenov playing servicable defense isnt a surprise. When he gets to play regularly, he plays better. That's all you can say today. He's not hurting the team.
  • Seto playing this well is surprising based on his history or inconsistency. Haven't seen him really let down yet.
  • I'd also say its surprising that Ehrhoff who started off the season seemingly reborn like Marleau has tailed off now. It was a mild surprise he played so well early but the promise has been there. More of a surprise then that he regressed.
  • Clowe isn't a surprise. His play predictably fit in TMacs system and he's doing what he did in the playoffs last season
  • I'd say its a mild surprise Patty has so well taken to LW after pouting about it under RW
  • More of a surprise that TMac has Jumbo using skills other than passing. He has got him to use his other gifts and elevated his game to a new level. That is almost the biggest surprise to me.
  • But - Boyle. That is the real surprise. Big contract. Older guy coming off a major injury. We heard "the injury was behind him and he was 100%,"...... but how often do you hear that? It was true though. We knew he could run the PP and carry the puck. His defense though is surprising - not only the number of minutes he can eat, but the quality of the minutes is pretty awesome. He skates as hard in his 30th minute as his 5th minute of TOI. The fact he should be considered for the Norris ...... THAT is a surprise.

01-28-2009, 02:18 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

Rob Blake...I've liked Blake even when he was struggling with LA and thought the Sharks should have traded for him last year, but wowwowowowow he has been awesome!

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

There has been plenty of nice surprises this season but i had to go with Boyle. He's been a stud the whole season and on the both ends of the ice. I just <3 the guy(in non-sexual way).

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Jaws666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
biggest surprise to me is Blake actually playing like he's worth $5million.
Agreed.

Jaws666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
rekrul

I voted Marleau though I may think now Blake performance on the ice is a bigger suprise. I was much more against the large Blake contact move that forced them to throw Rivet to the curb, than I thought they should trade Marleau last year. In fact Marleau's performance last year was more puzzling than what he is doing this year, world class Sniper shot with the best playmaker hmmmm yea he has 40G in him.

rekrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
cjod86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotaGuitar View Post
Nobody can say that Patty was gonna be this good this year. I mean yeah, many expected him to have a bounce back season, but nothing of this magnitude. Props to him.
I was saying Marleau was going to have a career year before this season began. It just made sense with the new coach and him not having to worry about being traded.

I voted for Semenov. He went from the best player for the opposing team, to reliably solid. The rest also were not necessaryily my predictions, but not surprises either.

Lately, Michalek has been a huge surprise to me as well.

cjod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:54 PM
lunarbrian

Long time lurker, finally registered. Biggest surprise to me has been Lukowich. When the Sharks made the trade to get him and Boyle, virtually everyone indicated Lukowich was washed up and would probably be cut. While he is not an All Star, he has been extremely steady and is a great complement to Boyle who is very aggressive offensively.

Second would be the tremendous change in Pickles-the way he has picked up the offensive side of his game-he looks like a different player.

Third would be Boyle-I knew he was good but didn't realize how good and how well he fits the Sharks new system.

lunarbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Yea, a lot of these I thought of, but wanted to leave it at 8...stared at the screen a long time....Boucher was the last of the surprises for me to leave out.

01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Kitten Mittons

So hard to choose. I guess the most pleasant surprise was Setoguchi.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:02 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

Ownership spending to the cap so that all of the above could happen!!!

HipCzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I am very surprised at Marleau. He turned his game around and is playing incredibly well. His penalty killing is awesome, he is a threat every time he is out there.

Clowe is a surprise too. Mainly just because I am glad to see his consistency in play. We all knew he had some crazy potential though.

I knew Gooooooch would do this well

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCzech View Post
Great answer.

I voted for that Lemieux comeback. When a human being, a Man, has been out of the NHL for 6 years and is 43 years old.... then flies to China to play hockey, back to the states.... and returns to the NHL.

I gotta say out loud: THAT IS SURPRISING right there!!!
I'm yelling that here right now. And uh, that kind of comeback ain't happening after this, ever again. Not ever. Not with any player in the world. Claude Lemieux did it, and now he has a chance to win a Cup. Again. Wow. I'm spittin' pollaseeds on my shoes.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Most "Pleasant Surprise":

Boyle: Better than expected? Maybe a little, but I expected big things from him and got it.

Blake: Expected and expect even higher play come crunch time.

Seto: That he is playing to or exceeding by some expectations may be a surprise, but should be expected.

Marleua: Most Pleasant Surprise. While it would be hard to believe he could have another disaster of a season, he has surpassed even my highest hopes in all areas of his play. I don't see any quit from this guy this year and I couldn't be more pleased than to see him play consistently to the level I have only seen in spurts over the years.

Let's just hope this isn't bizarro Patty and he chokes in the playoffs

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

For me it's Brad Lukovich. I, as many others did, thought of him as just a throw-in in the Boyle deal. Before the injury he was playing very solid hockey.

From that list... I'll choose Blake.

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:29 PM
nsn*

I really wish there was an option for Douglas Murray's amazingly rock-solid play this year.

He has been outstanding.

nsn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Dan K211
Jaws

When talking about Seto being a surprise, the fact that it took such a short duration to become a consistent contributor has to be mentioned. Being an 8th overall pick, it should be expected that he be a talented sniper, but this early in his career? Just gravy.

Dan K211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCzech View Post
Yeah, that one was a huge surprise. Good answer!

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:33 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleMinor View Post
wow... seriously man?? T-Mac was 1st on my list when they announced RW was fired. As soon as we heard he was contacted by Dougie for an interview I knew he would get the job.
Admittedly, I was unfamiliar with him other than what I read after he was hired about his minor-league coaching experience and so forth. I just wanted someone who had NHL head coaching experience. I didn't think it was good to bring in someone who had never had a head coaching job at this level for a team that had Stanley Cup aspirations.

Obviously I was wrong, and I'm glad I was

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
I voted Setoguchi, Marleau having a monster year was not a surpirse to me at all.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:49 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
10-1-08:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=556883
Quote:
I'll bet you Marleau/Doan will have more combined points this season. Marleau is going to have a big year, trust me. 5 points in 2 preseason games so far.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I'm one of the few who voted Boyle.

When the Boyle traded happen, many people ripped his play in his own end. AND nobody expect numbers to make him the frontrunner for the Norris.

Not only has he put up those numbers to him at the top of the Norris chase, he's been spectacular in his own end and playing like the true #1 elite defenseman we've always wanted.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:55 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
Marleau's season so far. I think he's finally stepped into the captain role and it's really fun to see.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote