HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Game # 50 - 1/28/09 - New York Rangers @ Pittsburgh Penguins - 7:30 PM MSG PLUS (HD)

Old
01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Rangers had the opportunity to win this game through two periods. They blew it. Can't finish when they had the chance and than farted out third period effort.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Rangers had the opportunity to win this game through two periods. They blew it. Can't finish when they had the chance and than farted out third period effort.
Too many scrubs that can't put home a rebound or finish a play with a half open net.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:40 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
Too many scrubs that can't put home a rebound or finish a play with a half open net.
Tell me about it.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I dont see "scrubs"..... thats too harsh. Too many of the same kind of players, and/or not the right mix of grit:skill to go around

But really if they bury 2 of those opportunities in the 2nd and they win the game. They dont and get down by one and than freaking collapse like a house of cards.

I cant even armchair my way around the team anymore. Have no idea what to suggest to fix that third period effort against a division rival below them in the standings.

Old
01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
lotus

Can we all just agree that there needs to be SOME kind of change.

ANY significant change.

I don't mean ****ing scratching Prucha and playing Voros. I don't mean giving Vally the start. I don't mean changing up the lines.

Dear god, SOMETHING. I almost don't care at this point if I see my favorite players traded, or if it's Renney who loses a job, or if it's Adam Graves going "dear god I serve this team better on the ice than on a banner, put me in coach!".

What we have won't work, shake this **** up while we can.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

significant change is difficult to make happen without overpayment

Sathers in a tough position

Old
01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
lotus

Quote:

I agree, and that's why I'm not suggesting anything. But I am most definitely looking at the man to do something. It's his job. I can see him not wanting to make things worse, and they could be worse very easily. But there has to be options, and I think we serve better taking a risk than trying to work through with what we have going on.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

A bunch of fluky goals and a completely sub-par performance from Lundqvist. Team actually played great for the first two periods, but that awful Staal goal just ruined the momentum.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:48 PM
ThirdEye

I think many of us are falsely expecting Lundqvist to have a Vezina year every year now. Obviously that's not going to happen. We need to accept the fact that he's going to have numerous down years, just like 99% of all goalies that have ever played

You take a big risk when you put majority of the pressure on your goalie and like we saw today it can and probably will blow up in your face.

I thought Lundqvist was great in the first two periods, but the pressure overcame him in the 3rd... simple as that. I know we (some of us more than others) like to ***** every time a goal is scored, but it's time to accept the fact that because the team is built the way it is there will be inevitable disappointment in the future

And no, you can't compare this team to the Devils, sorry. The Devils actually score goals.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think many of us are falsely expecting Lundqvist to have a Vezina year every year now. Obviously that's not going to happen. We need to accept the fact that he's going to have numerous down years, just like 99% of all goalies that have ever played

You take a big risk when you put majority of the pressure on your goalie and like we saw today it can and probably will blow up in your face.

I thought Lundqvist was great in the first two periods, but the pressure overcame him in the 3rd... simple as that. I know we (some of us more than others) like to ***** every time a goal is scored, but it's time to accept the fact that because the team is built the way it is there will be inevitable disappointment in the future

And no, you can't compare this team to the Devils, sorry. The Devils actually score goals.
Twilight Zone

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
In The Flesh

If Renney is going to play this defensive system then our forwards need to get bigger and tougher.

Our forwards aren't scoring, how about doing some hitting?? We need to start pounding teams. Only way I see us winning consistantly scoring a goal and an empty netter is by doing this. Henrik isn't going to keep bailing us out.

This team is soft and incredialby easy to play against. We miss Avery so bad on the ice its not even funny. Who gives two ****s about his locker room/off ice crap, WE SUCK without him. Maybe having Avery would give Drury something to do, the guy is friggggin Casper out there way-to-many-nights. Terrible cpt., at least on the ice.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:

Definitely. However, at this point, I'd give up anybody but Lundqvist, Staal, Grachev, and Anisimov to get this team some offensive help.

For the love of God, sit Voros and keep Prucha in the lineup full time.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
MaximusT

Yes I agree with the above poster!! At this pointI could give a crap who they trade, as long as it's not Z, Staal, Henrik ( unless we can get like some crazy deal for Luongo LOL). No but seriously, at first I was hesitant to scream "Trade Drury/gomez/etc" because you have to realize that these are naturally great guys, do a lot great stuff for the fans and adore living in the greatest city in the world. Trust me, my dad works in business and as a little kid I remember how much it sucked having to relocate every couple of years and never really having a permanent home. Which is why I kind of feel bad for guys when they get traded, especially when they love where they are playing and just signed a huge contract only a few months before.. But honestly, I don't care anymore

I'm tired if winning boring ass 2-1 or 3-2 against really crappy teams and then losing 6-2 or 4-0 or and blowing 4 goal leads against anyone who's atleast 1/2 decent.

PLEASE Glen!! Bring in a decent finisher

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
The bottom line of this game: Rangers power play, where have I heard that before? Gotta blame the coaching here again, say they capitalize on one in the 2nd and it's 2-1 after 2. That leaves the Rangers with a good chance of coming away with at least a point(you could imagine the scenario Renney using the 1-4 and Pitt ties it and goes into OT). I'm sorry but people want change here, how about getting some one in here to run the *** damn power play finally!

My second quarrel with Renney is his typical money guys out there for the 3rd goal, why must Colton Orr play every shift against Crosby? Because he hits him? What once a game maybe? Complete stupidity by Renney there which is why I think the play broke down the way it did. God forbid Lundqvist make a save anyway. Oh wait I thought Henrik was God

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:20 PM
h0ckeyman

Hate to say it boys but Lundy blew it for us. He came out in the 3rd clearly not focused. Every single 3rd period goal would have been stopped by a normal Lundqvist. If vally was in goal it would have been 2-2 into ot then who knows.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:28 PM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
I wish I could have NHL talent for just one shift.

I would lay crosby out. Get suspended for life and become a legend
among Ranger fans.
I'm right there with you on that one, but I think you meant NHL fans in general. I will honestly never understand why this whiny child gets promoted incessantly as the next big thing while the casual sports fan isn't half as aware of Ovechkin who has much more skill and plays the game with an infectious attitude. If the average sports fan on the fence about hockey saw more Ovechkin goals and less Crosby dives, the sport would be in much better safe.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
LGP8771

I would like to politely reply to some of the things being said here tonight. I was told about some comments being made here by Rangers fans, and then I came across this amazing post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Nobody in Pittsburgh cares about this game anyway. The Penguins are behind the Steelers, Pirates, Penn State and Pitt in interest. This explains how they got away with deliberately tanking for 5 seasons in order to get prospects. Without Bettman's help (lottery) and the zebra's help, they would still suck.
Is that why the Pens have sold out over 80 consecutive games in a relatively small market?

Is that why the Pens are ahead of Detroit and second to only Buffalo among American teams in local TV ratings?

Not only are you completely wrong about fan support for the Pens in Pittsburgh, but you're completely misinformed on all the other things you said. Make no mistake - the Pens are 2nd right now in Pittsburgh to the Steelers. And they're much closer to #1 than most people who don't follow the team would think. The Pirates are dead in the water and have been for the past 15 years and there's no way in hell that the Panthers are as popular as the Pens right now. And the past 3 years they're very close to where the Steelers are in terms of fan support. Of course, they probably never will be as popular as the Steelers who have been one of the best if not the best team in the NFL for the past 4 decades, but still, that's pretty good support.

Also, because of the horrible deal that they had on their arena lease and the fact that it's the oldest arena in the league and just couldn't make much money from it no matter the attendance, they were losing millions of dollars each season and were FORCED to trade or not resign Jagr, Kovalev, Straka, Lang (their top 4 forwards besides Lemieux), along with Kasparaitis (who was still very good back then), among other players. Lemieux got hurt every season after 2001. So to say that the Penguins deliberately tanked for 5 seasons is absolutely ridiculous and only shows your obvious childish bias against the Penguins. And by the way they only missed the playoffs for 3 straight seasons before the lockout and then missed the playoffs because of bad free agent signings in 2005-06, so you're off by a year.

The Pens surely struggled at the gate with basically an AHL team and mostly 3rd and 4th liners playing top 6 minutes for 3 seasons or so, but at least they didn't miss the playoffs with the highest payroll in the league like the Rangers did for 7 years straight and then trade for an ex-Ranger to finally get them back in the playoffs, like the Rangers did when they got for an ex-Penguin in Jaromir Jagr. And don't even get me started on how they basically tried to have the New York Penguins when they got not just Jagr, but also Straka, Rozsival, Kasparaitis, and Kovalev (whose best years were with the Pens).

Also, the Pens had 3 balls at the 2005 lottery. They were 1 of only 3 teams with 3 balls, so to claim that Bettman fixed the lottery is extremely far fetched and again shows how biased you are against the Penguins. Maybe you have a grudge against them based on the Rangers' 0-4 record in playoff series against Pittsburgh?

Oh, and here's a Post-Gazette article from October 1st, 2008 that proves how little you know about the Pens and their fan support:

Quote:
Penguins' rabid fan base starting to rival that other black-and-gold team

The team dresses in black and gold, has a long waiting list for season tickets and has the highest television ratings of any team in the league. It also is No. 1 league-wide in merchandise sales and has a rabid fan base that lives and dies with the team's every move.

It's not the Steelers we're talking about. It's the Penguins, the other Pittsburgh franchise that has a Steelers-like following.

The Penguins have never been more popular, and it is being reflected in the club's climbing ticket sales. The Penguins have sold out a club-record 67 consecutive games, including regular season and playoffs, dating to the 2006-07 season. Last season, the Penguins sold out all 41 regular-season home games for the first time in franchise history, and they are well on their way to duplicating that feat.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08275/916425-61.stm
A lot of people will of course keep claiming that the Penguins are not important to Pittsburgh sports fans and that they get no support and that they tanked for Crosby and all this other crap. It's called jealousy, folks.

As far as some of the other comments here, I think some of you guys are in need of a reality check. Whoever in here is claiming the Pens "ran up the score" when it was 4-2 as if the Rangers couldn't easily have gotten another goal right after Marc Staal scored to get right back in the game is absolutely insane. This is the NHL. You run up the score when you score after you're up by 5 or more. Anything other than that is just you guys basically whining and finding yet another dumb technicality to try to bash Crosby and the Penguins. Do you really expect the Penguins are gonna feel bad for the Rangers, a division rival, and let up on them with a mere 2-goal lead with 5 minutes left when they're out of a playoff spot?

And admit it - Crosby, whom some of you are incredibly obsessed with, was the difference maker in the 3rd period. It was just a 1-goal game after the fluke goal by Jordan Staal and then Crosby made a great pass to Letang to make it 3-1, and then he makes another good pass to find Sykora on the 5 on 3. This after he stole the puck at center ice and sprung Malkin in on a partial breakaway which put the Penguins on a 5 on4. Two assists from Crosby and the game is over!

So make all the dumb crybaby jokes you want - the guy is 2nd in NHL scoring and is worlds better than any forward on the Rangers right now. And the fact of the matter is, if Lundqvist doesn't play great, your chances of winning are not very good because the Rangers' offense is very weak. You would take Crosby on the Rangers IN A HEARTBEAT and he would almost immediately become the most celebrated player in Rangers history with the exception of Mark Messier.

With respect to some of the people here who take the high road, I'd like to simply point out that the #1 reason for all the Crosby hate among Rangers fans is jealousy. And let's not pretend that you've forgotten about how the Pens would have basically swept New York in the playoffs if not for the play of Jaromir Jagr in game 4.

So to some of the people here, stop whining about the Penguins and be thankful that the Rangers are still 10 points ahead of them thanks mostly to the fact that they've only had 10 man games lost to injury, while the Pens, at 197 games coming into the game tonight are probably leading the East in that category (it's over 200 man games lost to injuries after tonight) and are still missing Sergei Gonchar, the best power play quarterback in the league and their best overall defenseman last season. Deep inside I think we all know what the better and more skilled team is between the 'Guins and Blueshirts. The last 2 games between these teams have certainly proved a thing or 2.

Last edited by LGP8771: 01-28-2009 at 10:39 PM.
LGP8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
ThirdEye

As much as I can't stand Crosby, I think it's time to stop with the inane "lay him out/injure him" bs. It's stupid and all it does is attract more trolls.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
As much as I can't stand Crosby, I think it's time to stop with the inane "lay him out/injure him" bs. It's stupid and all it does is attract more trolls.
That's why I lay him out in NHL 09, I break his collarbone, run up the score and feel good after watching a game like this

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I can't read that long post by that Pens fan. No one cares. What a waste of time to go and write something that maybe 1 or 2 people (of whom I will not be) will read and not even remotely care about.

The only part I read was about jealousy.

Pens fans are BEYOND delusional that the only reason Crosby is hated is jealousy.

He's hated because he gets an IMMENSE amount of favoritism from the league and refs and gets away with murder.

He's not hated because of jealousy. What a joke to even mention that. I'm honestly laughing in my chair right now. I honestly thought that Penguins fans were over that thought that is so ridiculously outrageous.

It's funny how someone begins a post with saying that they are politely posting and they end with an outrageous comment as such.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I can't read that long post by that Pens fan. No one cares. What a waste of time to go and write something that maybe 1 or 2 people (of whom I will not be) will read and not even remotely care about.
Report it and move on, thats all I do with posts like that. I as well didnt bother to read that novel all the way through. The last sentence alone was enough for a report.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:45 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

I like when people use "my team is better than your team!" as an insult. Oh cool man, that says a lot about you. Does it help you sleep at night knowing that your sports team that you in no way control or own but merely support is better than mine?

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
The absurdity of it all is that some Penguins fans have this undying belief that other teams are jealous of Crosby and that's the only reason for hatred. I just don't get it. I don't see how they can possibly feel that way.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The absurdity of it all is that some Penguins fans have this undying belief that other teams are jealous of Crosby and that's the only reason for hatred. I just don't get it. I don't see how they can possibly feel that way.
And that on top of that all of us are secretly dying inside to get Crosby on our team and we would all rejoice. That he would become the most celebrated Ranger of all time, as the poster suggested, is a complete joke. Crybaby Crosby is my most hated NHL player by a long mile, and thats on top of guys like Marty B, Ruutu etc etc. I absolutely cannot stand the fact that the NHL celebrates him as the face of the game to the casual fan, when we have much much more deserving people in the NHL, like Ovechkin.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:58 PM
OverTheCap

Crosby isn't even the best player on his team.

All that post did is just prove that Pittsburgh fans are a bunch of bandwagoners. At least the Rangers were still selling out their games during the dark ages of 1998-2004.

And I'm sooooooo jealous of the Pittsburgh sports teams. Why root for the Yankees when I can root for the Pirates? It's just not fair!!

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote