HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Interesting tidbit about Gomez

Old
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Jagr did the same thing, so I don't see why this is even a story. Gomez knows he has been less than spectacular injury or injury he better step it up.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

This is the same thing you get from Gomez every season. He's having the same year he always has. And only once in nine seasons has that been even close to being worth what he is being paid. No offense to Gomez, but it is going to take more than one or two games from him to make up for 40 other games. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't think he was particularly good very often last season, either.

Hell, I thought Callahan and Naslund both had stronger games than he did last night, too. Korpikoski is who made that entire first goal. He made the defensive play and he capitalized where Gomez could not. That was a nice shot he scored on, no doubt, (though the pass by Naslund was even better), but that doesn't do much to change the fact that he leads the team in shots yet has one of the worst shooting percentages in the league.

He's always been like this. He's always been a "second half" player. That tells me that he just doesn't give enough of a **** to really start working hard as much as everyone else is until sometime in January.

Great guy to build your team around. Real efficient business plan. Give the most money to the guy who only tries half the time.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
This is the same thing you get from Gomez every season. He's having the same year he always has. And only once in nine seasons has that been even close to being worth what he is being paid. No offense to Gomez, but it is going to take more than one or two games from him to make up for 40 other games. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't think he was particularly good very often last season, either.

Hell, I thought Callahan and Naslund both had stronger games than he did last night, too. Korpikoski is who made that entire first goal. He made the defensive play and he capitalized where Gomez could not. That was a nice shot he scored on, no doubt, (though the pass by Naslund was even better), but that doesn't do much to change the fact that he leads the team in shots yet has one of the worst shooting percentages in the league.

He's always been like this. He's always been a "second half" player. That tells me that he just doesn't give enough of a **** to really start working hard as much as everyone else is until sometime in January.

Great guy to build your team around. Real efficient business plan. Give the most money to the guy who only tries half the time.
The whole post is an offense to Gomez

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
His current pace, including last nights 2 point performance has him on pace for 59 points. Not 63.

Additionally, had he not missed those 5 games, his pace would have ponted to a 63 point season.

This would represent his lowest totals in the last 5 seasons.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

I'm not asking for Gomer to post 80+ points a year, but 70+ for him is not a total that is to much to ask for.

Based on his talent and the role he plays, those numbers should attainable.
Whoops, averaged out the wrong remaining games, thanks for the correction.

Agreed it isnt good enough for this team as a 1st line guy, but my point was to state that they got a guy that avgs 65 pnts and you are pretty much getting that player. He'll probably get somewhere in the neighborhood of 65 i would think.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The whole post is an offense to Gomez
And his atrocious play throughout the first half of this season is an offense to me. Should be to you, too.

Old
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM
McRanger

Quote:

If you think that being described as a "second half" player means you coast until January, you are not only new to hockey, but to sports in general. In most sports playing best in the "second half", in other words down the stretch, is a huge compliment. Saying he is lazy is like saying because someone who always steps up his play in the playoffs they are not putting up any effort the rest of the time. Its moronic.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
If you think that being described as a "second half" player means you coast until January, you are not only new to hockey, but to sports in general. In most sports playing best in the "second half", in other words down the stretch, is a huge compliment. Saying he is lazy is like saying because someone who always steps up his play in the playoffs they are not putting up any effort the rest of the time. Its moronic.
I think you're the one who's new to hockey if you don't understand the connotations that second half bring when they are associated with Scott Gomez. It isn't that he becomes great in the second half, it's that he plays like garbage in the first half. He did that a number of seasons in New Jersey.

Don't tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. I love watching hockey, whether it is the Rangers or it isn't. I've seen my fair share of Devil games over the years. I know how Gomez plays. This is business as usual for Gomer.

Old
01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Balej20*

I see the daily Gomez bandwagon is loading up today...let's see how empty it is by this time next week.

On the other side, the daily Drury bandwagon has emptied out significantly after his 2 games 3 weeks ago where he showed a little life.

Ah Ranger fans...as up and down as a 2 cent..ahhh, as a yo-yo.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I see the daily Gomez bandwagon is loading up today...let's see how empty it is by this time next week.

On the other side, the daily Drury bandwagon has emptied out significantly after his 2 games 3 weeks ago where he showed a little life.

Ah Ranger fans...as up and down as a 2 cent..ahhh, as a yo-yo.
Stop boring us, get to the real exciting parts of hockey like hows that Josef Balej bandwagon doing?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Balej20*

He's probably just starting to feel a little guilty that he's robbing so much money from this organization and from this team's cap space. Chris Drury should start feeling guilty too. Too bad Sather was an idiot and gave them the money in the first place.

Old
01-28-2009, 04:04 PM
The Thomas J.*

My thing with Gonmez is this, he needs wingers around him to make him better, than he can make those areound him better, it's a werid cycle. I don't drny the guy has talent & is a player, he is, but to be a more effective dynamic player he needs a big time power forward winger on one side & a speedy play maker on the other, Gomez is the 2 way center on that line.

He mentioned that him & Naslund are finally clicking, that is all well & good, now who is gonna be the other guy?? Zerdev? Me thinks not.

Drury is a guy that makes things happen, but his wingers are dragging him down, though him & Cally look good togeher.

I'm hoping Sather can make trades that will fit our needs & not make trades to throw another body out there.

Old
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Over the last 11 games Gomez has collected 4 Goals and 7 Assists.

And before that, in the previous 11 games, Gomez collected 2 Goals and 7 Assists.

Gomez= 20 Total Points in his last 22 games.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
McRanger

Quote:
I think you're the one who's new to hockey if you don't understand the connotations that second half bring when they are associated with Scott Gomez. It isn't that he becomes great in the second half, it's that he plays like garbage in the first half. He did that a number of seasons in New Jersey.

Don't tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. I love watching hockey, whether it is the Rangers or it isn't. I've seen my fair share of Devil games over the years. I know how Gomez plays. This is business as usual for Gomer.
I am not sure whether or not you know what you are talking about. I am sure that you blindly hate certain players because of their salary and/or because of the GM that brought them to the team.

On the Rangers, Gomez picked it up (a lot) after the first month and was the most consistent forward, easily. On the Devils there was a notion he picked his game as the year moved on. Because of the rancor the devils fans have for Gomez it will be difficult to get a fair assessment of his play splits (aside from maybe BillyH2O) but you are welcome to try. Everything I had ever heard was that he was unremarkable to start the season and then played very well at the end. Actually with the stats he has put up, he would pretty much have to play great in the second half if he was that bad in the first half.

The numbers show a different picture.

PPG Before the ASB
08/09: .744
07/08: .921
06/07: .900
05/06: .931

PPG After the ASB+POs
08/09: ?
07/08: .850
06/07: .884
05/06: 1.18

PPG Total
08/09: ?
07/08: .890
06/07: .892
05/06: 1.02

Either way, this first half is not "typical Gomez", and you do not need stats to see that.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:01 PM
satrabyk

People on here have to start ti realize that a contract does not define a player. Gomez has played very similar to his play in NJ, and has put up similar numbers. Also on defending his part into the question on why he has not improved is also due to the players he has to play with. I like Naslund but the man can not match Gomez speed and has at times dropped Gomez'z play. He is a good player and i like him is he overpaid yes, but that is the doing of Sather. But i could not ever talk about Gomez being overpaid without looking at Drury.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post

And before that, in the previous 11 games, Gomez collected 2 Goals and 7 Assists.

I always knew he was a point per game player, he showed that last year, sadly it's not enough.

Old
01-28-2009, 08:09 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
He's a guy I'm glad we have when the games become more important..

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:57 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post

Trust me, I'm not looking to bash the guy, and I like those numbers, but there's no excuse that he should have been posting slightly less numbers than that the whole season.

His role on this team as the offensive leader playing in all key offensive situations should put him in position to score points.

The Lack of offense displayed by this team rests on his shoulders more than most as he is supposed to be the offensive leader and he's not doing it, well, the last 20 games he has and I hope he continues it.

Drury better wake the F up as well, or the bandwagon will be headed towards his direction very shortly.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
gravytrain6t

I don't see how Gomez is a problem at all. He and Zherdev can at least pass the puck. Naslund can put it in but after that. That's about it. Between Dubinsky, Callahan, Dawes, Voros, and Prucha they have a combined 39 goals on the season so far. I'll give the 4th line and Korpikoski (being a rookie) a break. Jeff Carter alone has 30 goals. Drury only has 15 himself. This team needs a guy to pass the puck to and deposit some goals. Slats signed Gomez to pass (and Gomez is doing his job passing) and Zherdev happens to be a good assist man, but no one can score.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I don't see how Gomez is a problem at all. He and Zherdev can at least pass the puck. Naslund can put it in but after that. That's about it. Between Dubinsky, Callahan, Dawes, Voros, and Prucha they have a combined 39 goals on the season so far. I'll give the 4th line and Korpikoski (being a rookie) a break. Jeff Carter alone has 30 goals. Drury only has 15 himself. This team needs a guy to pass the puck to and deposit some goals. Slats signed Gomez to pass (and Gomez is doing his job passing) and Zherdev happens to be a good assist man, but no one can score.
Slats signed him to pass, yet he leads the team in shots on goal and is among the league leaders in shots on goal, with one of the worst shooting percentages in the league.

Old
01-28-2009, 11:54 PM
levski87

Quote:
Slats signed him to pass, yet he leads the team in shots on goal and is among the league leaders in shots on goal, with one of the worst shooting percentages in the league.
I'm pretty sure thats Renney's philosphy of throwing pucks at the net. Hence, Gomez does it.

All in all, his first half performance sucked, he's picking it up now and making great passes.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:01 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I'm pretty sure thats Renney's philosphy of throwing pucks at the net. Hence, Gomez does it.

All in all, his first half performance sucked, he's picking it up now and making great passes.
No, it has little to do with Renney. Take a look at Gomez's shooting numbers before and after the lockout. He had a lucky year in 05-06 and ever since he thinks he's a goalscorer. Unfortunately, even though he keeps shooting, the pucks don't go in. But it's been three seasons since 05-06 and he still hasn't figured it out.

Old
01-29-2009, 08:02 AM
captainscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Per Sam's blog: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/0...all-after-all/

No doubt he's got a long way to go to justify that contract, but certainly the game he's showed in the last two contests has been much more representative of what we all (particularly those of us who were in favor of the signing two years ago) hoped to see. And news like the above indicates that he's aware of and takes seriously the fact that he's been a severe disappointment (particularly this year). Are we perhaps in for better things from Second Half Scott? Keep it up, Gomer.

(At the very least make yourself a tradeable asset.)
with the devils he always seemed to play better after all star break, don't know why.
i still say he is soft and won't get dirty in front. how many hits has he thrown this season? 2...im serious.

captainscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:

Unfortunately, Slats forgot the main and most significant aspect of that. Someone for Gomez to pass...to.

Wasting money on Rissmiller, Voros, Redden, Kalinin and Rozsival in a moronic act of redundancy; closed the door on getting some skill and size for the Wing...on the top two lines.

Too many small players on the top three lines (six forwards who are between 5' 8" and 5' 11" ......Gomez, Callahan, Dawes, Prucha, Naslund and Drury).

Too many role players (Betts, Sjostrom, Fristche, Voros, Orr, Rissmiller and Korpikoski well on the way)

Three nearly identical defensemen (in terms of their game and elements they bring to their game....Redden, Rozsival and Kalinin), who are collectively eating up 13+ million dollars of Cap Space. And ice time.

These are the Rangers main problems. Sather completely screwed up.

Yes, Gomez has a terrible two months (due to injury and pisspoor play) and the responsibility falls on his shoulders for that. But the Rangers problems run a lot deeper than Gomez's two month slump.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Balej20*

Is the bandwagon unloading after another invisible, turnover ridden game from Gomez last night?

Old
01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscott View Post
with the devils he always seemed to play better after all star break, don't know why.
i still say he is soft and won't get dirty in front. how many hits has he thrown this season? 2...im serious.
That's a gross exaggeration.

I think everyone knows Gomez is not an overly-physical Power Forward type of player.

But he does throw the body a bit more than...twice. And just as importantly, he takes a ton of hits to make plays.

Does he do it for 82 Regulation Season games? No, he doesn't. And neither does anyone else. No one in the league plays balls-to-the-wall physical every night.

But interesting to note, Gomez threw the body a lot more in the Devils playoff series, last season. And started that way against the Penguins till he got hurt and was hampered the rest of the way.