HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rangers drop into bottom 5

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2004, 09:12 PM
  #1
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,116
vCash: 500
Rangers drop into bottom 5

8 pts up on Washington and Colombus.

Would you be upset if NY won the draft lottery?

EroCaps is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 09:28 PM
  #2
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,860
vCash: 500
Honestly, yes I would be upset.

Other teams have been committed to rebuilding for several years now, or at least longer than the Rangers have. The Rangers decide to rebuild and then 2 months later get Ovechkin? that would anger me alot.

But that's just my personal opinion

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 09:31 PM
  #3
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Honestly, yes I would be upset.

Other teams have been committed to rebuilding for several years now, or at least longer than the Rangers have. The Rangers decide to rebuild and then 2 months later get Ovechkin? that would anger me alot.

But that's just my personal opinion
They add a bevy of FA, the highest salary the NHL has ever seen, and somehow do badly enough to take Ovechkin away from a rebuilding team. It would be irritating, that's for sure.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 09:35 PM
  #4
Bure9*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Not at all. One, because I'm a Rangers fan. Two, it would be good for the NHL.

Bure9* is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 09:35 PM
  #5
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 65,084
vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
They add a bevy of FA, the highest salary the NHL has ever seen, and somehow do badly enough to take Ovechkin away from a rebuilding team. It would be irritating, that's for sure.
Hell yeah.

The Penguins have been putting up with this **** for three years and are going through one of the worst seasons in recent memory...and a team that had the second highest payroll at the start of the year wins the lottery and steals Ovechkin from us?

I would kill myself.

I could stand if Washington or Chicago won, even Columbus, I'd be PO'ed but at least those fans have put up with a bad team all season.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 09:36 PM
  #6
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 65,084
vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure9
Not at all. One, because I'm a Rangers fan. Two, it would be good for the NHL.
How?

Take the biggest phenom since Lindros and put him in the biggest market.

Watch his ego explode and disintegrate.


Before he plays his first game.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 11:18 PM
  #7
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 39,873
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be mad at all. The Rangers have tried to win with high priced talent, and they failed miserably. Their poor performance with good talent doesn't make them any less deserving of Ovechkin than other bad teams. It's not like the Pens deserve prospects more because they're committed to sucking.

Stephen is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 11:21 PM
  #8
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
I would start laughing and never stop. I think it would be the ultimate irony.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 11:23 PM
  #9
ragfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Hell yeah.

The Penguins have been putting up with this **** for three years and are going through one of the worst seasons in recent memory...and a team that had the second highest payroll at the start of the year wins the lottery and steals Ovechkin from us?

I would kill myself.

I could stand if Washington or Chicago won, even Columbus, I'd be PO'ed but at least those fans have put up with a bad team all season.

Uh, we've had terrible seasons too, ecept in a different way. We haven't made the playoffs in 6 years! ( going for seven now), at least you guys have. You don't know about the Rangers''s struggles, so why even bother to comment?

ragfan is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 11:42 PM
  #10
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: South Cackalacky
Posts: 48,329
vCash: 500
Ovechkin could be playing with Jagr next year.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
03-08-2004, 11:52 PM
  #11
Hitman*
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 4,299
vCash: 500
I agree that it would be good for the league. Put the next big star into the league's biggest and most important market. However, that would be a decision as a businessman. As a hockeyfan, no I wouldn't like it. Just because I think Ovechkin would look better on a Pens jersey.

Hitman* is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 12:35 AM
  #12
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 65,084
vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragfan
Uh, we've had terrible seasons too, ecept in a different way. We haven't made the playoffs in 6 years! ( going for seven now), at least you guys have. You don't know about the Rangers''s struggles, so why even bother to comment?
Missing the playoffs with a 20 million dollar payroll is one thing, missing it with a 70 million dollar payroll is another.

The Penguins have an excuse, the Rangers don't,.

The Penguins are, bar none, the worst team in the league this year and arguably the worst team in the league since the expansion Senators and Sharks. They deserve the pick far before some team who just doesn't try.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 01:21 AM
  #13
The Big P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
It would be amazing for the NHL if Ovech goes CHitown and Crosby goes to Broadway

The Big P is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 02:18 AM
  #14
V for Voodoo
Registered User
 
V for Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boom Shaka-Laka.
Country: Nepal
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
They add a bevy of FA, the highest salary the NHL has ever seen, and somehow do badly enough to take Ovechkin away from a rebuilding team. It would be irritating, that's for sure.
That's the funny thing.
New York could easily re-sign a whackload of UFA's this summer, grab Ovechkin, and have a similar roster to what they iced this season -- except they'd have a whackload of prospects and draft picks to show for it. Not a bad deal for them.

V for Voodoo is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 02:22 AM
  #15
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
these comments baffle me.. and here i thought the rangers sucked all these years but some how this team after missing the playoffs for 7 straight years does not deserve to win the lottery.. greed is sad.. jealousy is even sadder.....

in the hall is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 02:31 AM
  #16
Wild Bill
Registered User
 
Wild Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
That's the funny thing.
New York could easily re-sign a whackload of UFA's this summer, grab Ovechkin, and have a similar roster to what they iced this season -- except they'd have a whackload of prospects and draft picks to show for it. Not a bad deal for them.
Not at all...could totally see a soft cap/luxury tax compromise scenario coming from the new CBA and this would be their best mode of action. They should have been doing more of this in years past with their seemingly unlimited revenue.

IMO Ovechkin will do wonders for whatever team that wins his draft rights, even my boring Wild.

A Jagr-Ovechkin-whoever line would be pretty insane tho...

Wild Bill is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 02:45 AM
  #17
Profet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 722
vCash: 160
oh come on...

How about this:
  • We give all the superstar type prospects to the Pens.
  • Then three years later when the Pens can't sign them, we let the rest of league trade cash for them.

I truly feel for the Pens fans...but lets face facts. The Pens have to be sold and/or relocated. Its a crock and its turning this league into garbage.

I know the Rangers have done their share to hurt the league, but they also generate a lot more interest(which translates to revenue) for the rest of the league.

Even with the Rangers' 70million payroll every team hated them. Every fan hated them. Which is good for the sport. Frankly, no one could give two turds about the Pens. And thats not me bashing the Pens, it's a fact. The Pens had a great tradition, but its time to move on. Before they bring the rest of the league down with them.

So in my opinion it would be fantastic if any team but the Pens draft #1. It would be an utter waste for the Pens to get another prospect which they would need to sell for cash in 2 to 3 years.

Its harsh...but i speak the truth.

Now before all you people jump down my throat...
I have no problem with teams rebuilding. I have no problems with teams keeping low salaries. What I have a problem with is teams that refuse to skate even a mediocre team because of cash concerns. This is detrimental to all other teams because they don't have a prayer of selling out a home game while playing against a no name team.

The Pens will never complete a rebuild process with their current budget. And their budget will never get any larger while they are in Pittsburgh.


Last edited by Profet: 03-09-2004 at 02:57 AM.
Profet is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 03:31 AM
  #18
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
oh come on...

How about this:
  • We give all the superstar type prospects to the Pens.
  • Then three years later when the Pens can't sign them, we let the rest of league trade cash for them.

I truly feel for the Pens fans...but lets face facts. The Pens have to be sold and/or relocated. Its a crock and its turning this league into garbage.

I know the Rangers have done their share to hurt the league, but they also generate a lot more interest(which translates to revenue) for the rest of the league.

Even with the Rangers' 70million payroll every team hated them. Every fan hated them. Which is good for the sport. Frankly, no one could give two turds about the Pens. And thats not me bashing the Pens, it's a fact. The Pens had a great tradition, but its time to move on. Before they bring the rest of the league down with them.

So in my opinion it would be fantastic if any team but the Pens draft #1. It would be an utter waste for the Pens to get another prospect which they would need to sell for cash in 2 to 3 years.

Its harsh...but i speak the truth.

Now before all you people jump down my throat...
I have no problem with teams rebuilding. I have no problems with teams keeping low salaries. What I have a problem with is teams that refuse to skate even a mediocre team because of cash concerns. This is detrimental to all other teams because they don't have a prayer of selling out a home game while playing against a no name team.

The Pens will never complete a rebuild process with their current budget. And their budget will never get any larger while they are in Pittsburgh.
They have the 4th highest tv ratings in the entire league. Not bad for a last place team. The pens just badly need a new arena so they can keep together the team they are building. They are very poor, but to say there's no interest is just an untruth.

Luigi Lemieux is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 03:57 AM
  #19
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 13,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
The Pens will never complete a rebuild process with their current budget. And their budget will never get any larger while they are in Pittsburgh.
Rev-en-ue Shar-ing, Rev-en-ue

*CLAP CLAP*

Rev-en-ue Shar-ing, Rev-en-ue

*CLAP CLAP*

tom_servo is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 06:13 AM
  #20
roast
Registered User
 
roast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
The pens generate far more intrest than the rangers. like servo said above, revenue sharing / salary cap is the way to go. Don't hate the pens for developing players becuase the rangers can't.

roast is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 07:23 AM
  #21
L3DZ3P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Trois-Rivières,Qc
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big P
It would be amazing for the NHL if Ovech goes CHitown and Crosby goes to Broadway
No it wont.

L3DZ3P is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 07:50 AM
  #22
klingsor
Registered User
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
Obviously, as A Ranger fan, I'd be happy if they win the lottery.

Refresh my memory please but wasn't the lottery instituted because the Penguins tanked it to get Mario?

klingsor is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 07:51 AM
  #23
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roast
The pens generate far more intrest than the rangers.



Oh wait, you were being serious?

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 08:08 AM
  #24
roast
Registered User
 
roast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Would you rather watch a team of over paid superstars who can't win? or a team that works hard and at least makes the majority of games intresting? I'd go insane if I was a rangers fan.

roast is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 08:29 AM
  #25
Profet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 722
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by roast
Would you rather watch a team of over paid superstars who can't win? or a team that works hard and at least makes the majority of games intresting? I'd go insane if I was a rangers fan.
That was last weeks argument... Go look the rangers made some trades. You might find them interesting.

Profet is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.