HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need Help Scoring

Old
01-17-2009, 11:17 AM
BostonRic

vCash: 500
Need Help Scoring

I am a defenseman, but have been playing forward lately and have 0 goals. Any tips to help me put more in?

BostonRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Twist and Shout

Find the open spots on the ice, crash the net, screen the goalie and be ready for the tip, play your position well, work on receiving passes, work on your shot, remember that any shot is better than no shot. Also, I always held my stick up high whenever I played defense ... Make sure that tendency, if you have it, doesn't linger into your game as a forward when you get into a scoring position.

Can't give much more advice without knowing what type of offensive game you have. It'll come .. just keep working at it.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

I heard they give good advice for scoring over in the lounge.

But the key in my opinion is try to get open, move around, don't stand around waiting for a pass. Work for the puck and blah blah blah. All that cliche stuff.

01-17-2009, 12:40 PM
raganblink

Go to bars. Wear nice clothes. Buy drinks. Talk to the ladies and act like yourself. Wear cologne. It might take a couple tries but eventually you'll find a girl, and you'll get to know her. Eventually you will start living with each other and than a couple years later, ask her hand in marriage. Than on your wedding night make sure you are clean downstairs. Than after your wedding reception you will take her to the hotel, strip naked, than strip her naked, and than you'll make love for 4 hours straight. It will be awesome...

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 12:53 PM
noobman

Go to the net hard and pick up the garbage.

Also keep in mind that you can't score goals if you don't shoot.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRic View Post
I am a defenseman, but have been playing forward lately and have 0 goals. Any tips to help me put more in?
More than zero?

1. How's your shot, and are you putting enough power behind it?
2. How's your skating and are you getting scoring chances you just can't convert on?
3. Do you have the confidence of your linemates that they'll pass you the puck when you're in scoring position?
4. Are you picking a target before you shoot and do you look where you're shooting?

I'm in the same position -- a converted defenseman playing wing with no points on the season.

1. I play too conservative. I can't help playing like a defensive forward so I don't get into scoring position when we have the puck in the offensive zone.
2. I have a weak shot and can't consistently lift my wrist shots. I've got poor technique and don't take the time to draw the puck back before shooting.
3. I have different linemates every game.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
Go to bars. Wear nice clothes. Buy drinks. Talk to the ladies and act like yourself. Wear cologne. It might take a couple tries but eventually you'll find a girl, and you'll get to know her. Eventually you will start living with each other and than a couple years later, ask her hand in marriage. Than on your wedding night make sure you are clean downstairs. Than after your wedding reception you will take her to the hotel, strip naked, than strip her naked, and than you'll make love for 4 hours straight. It will be awesome...
Hey Knuckle head, I think he meant scoring goals...not scoring girls.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Green13

Quote:
Yeah I didn't even use the word "scoring" so your post wasn't funny at all...
Yea you did... the title of the thread is "Need help scoring"

Green13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 08:23 PM
HerrAlex

whatever you do. keep your stick on the ice. and crash the net

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Tinkeric

Quote:
I've been playing forward for many years and have never scored many goals. In my current season, however, I'm averaging slightly more than a goal per game. The secret? I've developed a SIMPLE scoring move, which is actually the "go to" move of most NHL snipers.

As a forward, a very typical situation is carrying the puck into the attacking zone, 1-on-1 or 2-on-2. In most recreational leagues, the defenseman will back down until you're in range to shoot. That scenario is the perfect time to use the d-man as a screen and shoot.

I either shoot it through the defender's legs or I curl to the side a bit and then shoot. I also prefer to shoot it right along the ice since most goalies in my league don't go straight to butterfly. Quick and dirty, and it works! Most forwards will try to beat every defender until he is 1-on-1 with the goalie, but there's just not enough space.

Next time you have a defender backing down, think about shooting!

Tinkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:09 AM
BostonRic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkeric View Post
I've been playing forward for many years and have never scored many goals. In my current season, however, I'm averaging slightly more than a goal per game. The secret? I've developed a SIMPLE scoring move, which is actually the "go to" move of most NHL snipers.

As a forward, a very typical situation is carrying the puck into the attacking zone, 1-on-1 or 2-on-2. In most recreational leagues, the defenseman will back down until you're in range to shoot. That scenario is the perfect time to use the d-man as a screen and shoot.

I either shoot it through the defender's legs or I curl to the side a bit and then shoot. I also prefer to shoot it right along the ice since most goalies in my league don't go straight to butterfly. Quick and dirty, and it works! Most forwards will try to beat every defender until he is 1-on-1 with the goalie, but there's just not enough space.

Thanks,

I'll be sure to try this in my game today.

Old
01-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkeric View Post

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, someone who has got it right! I haven been say this for years. Thanks for beating me to it.

It is kind of funny why wingers feels that they have to beat the defensemen, when all's they have to do is use the defensemen as a screen.

Great Post Tinkeric!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Tinkeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Finally, someone who has got it right! I haven been say this for years. Thanks for beating me to it.

It is kind of funny why wingers feels that they have to beat the defensemen, when all's they have to do is use the defensemen as a screen.

Great Post Tinkeric!

Head coach
Here's a good instructional video for the "use defender as screen" shot from Vincent Lecavalier, who knows something about scoring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAVJw...e=channel_page

Old
01-27-2009, 01:37 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post

LOL
A+

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
xstartxtodayx

Here's another angle to consider, I like to consider it the Brett Hull mehtod since he was so famous for it.

When the puck is down deep and not in your corner, stay away from the front of the net and the rest of the crowd, glide away from everyone and even loop to the far side, then you can glide in behind everyone in to the high slot (yes high slot not goal mout, you'd be surprised how many rebounds bounce out past everyone) and hopefully get a pass/rebound that you can fire home. It doesn't work every time and it's not for all situations, you have to make sure you're not doing this all the time and letting your linemates do all the dirty work b/c that's a surefire way to make sure they never pass to you. It's just something to think about and try out, you'd be surprised how often it works in adult hockey/rec leagues. Oh and one more thing, when you get the puck shoot it as quick as possible. Wrist shots/snap shots are best b/c you don't want to give the goalie time to set up and get in position.

Good luck.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Many goalies find two fee of the ice blocker side to be the hardest spot to react to a shot.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
You want bread, go to the bakery. You want money, go to the bank. You want goals? Go to the net.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Orange Crush 89

Like there's some magical formula to start putting pucks (or whatever you play with) in the net. You either have a scorer's touch or you don't.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Like there's some magical formula to start putting pucks (or whatever you play with) in the net. You either have a scorer's touch or you don't.
Not true.
A lot of times the players style and positioning have a lot to do with it...If you have the 'scoring touch' but you don't have the smarts to go where you need to be, it doesn't work.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do you get scoring chances on rushes?
Does your line cycle the puck much?
How would you rate your shot compared to your level of play?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:28 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Nothing gets my back up more than this comment. The fact that Brett Hull can elaborate on what made him such a proficient scorer, that John Bucyk would practice roofing buckets upon buckets of pucks from just outside the goalmouth, that Glen Murray and his center would stay on the ice long after practice says it's more than just being born with a particular skillset. It's a combination of strategy, technique and (in some cases) strength. Just because some players make it look easy doesn't mean they didn't work like hell to prepare for the moment they got the puck on their stick blade.

For that matter what baby can roof a puck?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
Not true.
A lot of times the players style and positioning have a lot to do with it...If you have the 'scoring touch' but you don't have the smarts to go where you need to be, it doesn't work.
Yeah, are we talking skill or smarts here? As a beginner I'm lacking in the skills department, I'm not the type that can beat a competent defender 1 on 1 or deke a goalie out of his pants. But hockey smarts I have in spades, letting me score at a good pace right from the start. Whether its cleaning up the garbage (which is a bit more complicated than just going to the net), seeing the goalie cheat pass on a 2 on 1 and taking the shot, or using the defender as a screen to shoot through, I was always able to keep pace with the ringers in my beginners division.

First thing for the OP though, hows your shot? As a dman I'd imagine your shop shot is good, wristers probably decent as well, but what about the backhand? If you take a puck a few feet from the board and try shooting it high, how often do you get it up? If it's only like 1 in 5 you need to practice that a lot more, since obviously the easiest way to score is to pick up a rebound in front of the net where it's 50/50 that you get it backhand or forehand. If you can't do one you don't have the time to switch.

Anyways, now that I think about it I'm not really sure what to say for advice on crashing the crease. It's not so much about the 'crashing' as it is anticipating where the rebound may end up. Sometimes you want to be screening the goalie (D point shot), other times you want to hang back a bit for that long rebound (on the rush), and other times sneak into the back door. An example of scoring on this last one, while playing LW, the puck was on the right side, and the RW was taking a shot from an angle in the slot, with the C in front of the net with other teams D. Rather than crash the net with him I snuck in behind the play a few feet from the opposite post, so when the puck bounced off a few people and landed on my side, I had all the time in the world to put it in.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:10 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Great Post Tinkeric!

Head coach
don't forget to follow your shot to the net when you use the dman as a screen, if the goalie gets a piece of the shot there is usually a nice juicy rebound that they are now out of position to play.Also the dman that you just used for a screen will usually turn to watch the shot not continue to keep his eyes on you.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:51 PM
BostonRic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Do you get scoring chances on rushes?
Does your line cycle the puck much?
How would you rate your shot compared to your level of play?
I do get a couple of scoring chances on rushes per game. My line is pretty good at cycling the puck, and I would say my snap, slap, and wrist shots are above average for my level, midget b. I think my problem is not knowing where to go, any tips?

Old
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Tinkeric

Quote:
I do get a couple of scoring chances on rushes per game. My line is pretty good at cycling the puck, and I would say my snap, slap, and wrist shots are above average for my level, midget b. I think my problem is not knowing where to go, any tips?
As a general strategy, when the three forwards are in the offensive zone... one forward without the puck drives to the net and the other forward w/o the puck supports the puck carrier, usually by moving somewhere behind the carrier -- not necessarily directly behind, but somewhere you can receive a pass.