HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Moving to Montreal

Old
01-29-2009, 08:21 AM
frederixx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
I lived in Montreal for nearly 10 years now and I don't speak one word of French. You will be just fine.
I thought you've been in Montreal for more than 10 years now Mr. Koivu?

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:32 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
That's kinda sad.
Bah whatever, I speak four languages (Russian, Georgian, German, English). How many do you speak?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Hezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_shelf View Post
Hi Guys, I am going to be moving to Montreal next month to start a new job. I am in the engineering field and my office is downtown. I have only been to Montreal once many years ago and have lived out west most of my life. I'm concerned about a couple of things, mainly the fact that I don't speak french. Is it true that some people are biased towards english only speakers? Secondly, what about driving are most of the signs in french? Lastly, I'll be in a hotel for the first month but would like to bring my family over before that so I need to buy / rent a house. It doesn't have to be very close to where I work but what are some good neighbourhoods? Any specific areas with high concentrations of asian / east indian people with reasonably priced homes? What are some of the newer areas around town? I hope you guys can help, and go habs go!

West-Island maybe. DDO has a lot of indian people from what I've seen. It's not too far from anything really. Shopping, restos, etc on st. jean blvd. Close to highway, 20-30 mins to downtown on a good day, etc etc. I live in the west island, good place.

Hezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Haddock

The only thing that you need to know about street signs is that:

sud=south
nord=north
est=east
ouest=west

Pretty easy huh?

Speaking french is of course an asset. Since you already have a job waiting for you, the only real reason for you to try and learn the language would be for social interaction. Most people are bilingual anyway. Making the effort is what most people just ask for. Bonjour, ça va?, merci, ect. The kind of stuff hockey players learn. If you plan on being here for a while, learning the language would be smart to be able to fully enjoy the sights and sounds of the island. Don't cut yourself from such a great cultural opportunity like some other people do (and seem proud about it).

Montréal doesn't have a big concentrated area with Asians/East Indians. Sined mentionned Parc Extension, wich is very cosmopolitain, but I have to agree about not moving there. Not the best place in town. The West-Island and the south shore are good for families, if you don't mind having to drive everywhere you want to go. I prefer the island itself. The Plateau and Mile-End are great places to live. They're trendy areas so sometimes the prices are just dumb though. St-Laurent has some great spots. Outremont and Petite-Patrie offer great quality of life too. If you have kids you might want to look for good schools and then finding something affordable in that area.

But you should do (and hopefully you are doing) more research anyway. Here's some usefull links:

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.asp
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q.../montreal.html
http://www.montreal.com/moveto/ (more links)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
That's kinda sad.
Indeed.

Last edited by Haddock: 01-29-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:45 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am going to be moving to Montreal next month to start a new job. I am in the engineering field and my office is downtown. I have only been to Montreal once many years ago and have lived out west most of my life. I'm concerned about a couple of things, mainly the fact that I don't speak french. Is it true that some people are biased towards english only speakers? Secondly, what about driving are most of the signs in french? Lastly, I'll be in a hotel for the first month but would like to bring my family over before that so I need to buy / rent a house. It doesn't have to be very close to where I work but what are some good neighbourhoods? Any specific areas with high concentrations of asian / east indian people with reasonably priced homes? What are some of the newer areas around town? I hope you guys can help, and go habs go!
Which company are you joining? I'm also in Eng in downtown..

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:56 AM
top_shelf

thanks for all the great suggestions guys! I am going to check out some houses in the west island and let you know how that goes...as for the hotel, company is paying for it so i dont have to worry about rents...and i am planning to learn french atleast to the level where i can interact to some degree with french speakers only..i'll keep you psoted

top_shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
thanks for all the great suggestions guys! I am going to check out some houses in the west island and let you know how that goes...as for the hotel, company is paying for it so i dont have to worry about rents...and i am planning to learn french atleast to the level where i can interact to some degree with french speakers only..i'll keep you psoted
stay away from the girls.

they are mine.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:56 AM
couz

Again, the West Island has a great train line to downtown, you avoid traffic hassles and parking.

It takes about 15 minutes by train.

If no traffic it takes 20 minutes by car.

Its really a great place to live and raise kids and its English speaking.

There's also everything you need.

I suggest you look there first.

Laval can also be an option as a few of my friends moved there, also about 20 minutes from downtown, but Laval is not considered Montreal, its a complete different city with its own public transit and jurisdiction.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Laval can also be an option as a few of my friends moved there, also about 20 minutes from downtown, but Laval is not considered Montreal, its a complete different city with its own public transit and jurisdiction.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

don't!

****** suburb, I currently live there.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
couz

Well from what I hear Laval aint so bad, it depends which part of Laval but it is affordable.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
I lived in Montreal for nearly 10 years now and I don't speak one word of French. You will be just fine.
Sigh...

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:21 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
only crazies live there.
I hate you.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:25 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Excellent attitude Having to learn the local language and wanting to are completely different; If I moved to mexico city I would speak Spanish within the first month. You can absolutely live in Montreal and speak english all your life. It's just really sad somone would even consider it.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:31 AM
7th Player

Quote:
Bah whatever, I speak four languages (Russian, Georgian, German, English). How many do you speak?
Cool, I didn't know Gorges had his own language!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Good areas to live in close to work (because taking public transit is the best thing environment wise)

-NDG (Notre-Dame-de-grâce) 20 min from Downtown by bus/metro mostly english speaking all necessary services
Metro: Villa-Maria, Vendome

-Westmount: 15 min from Downtown by bus/metro
Pricey but since you are an engineer you may have the budget to rent or buy there

other suggestions to come ....

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
. You can absolutely live in Montreal and speak english all your life. It's just really sad somone would even consider it.
Sad for you maybe, not sad for those who do it.

Loads of people live in Montreal without speaking a sentence of French, theyre quite happy being here. Its a great city. Id recommend NDG, fantastic schools, nice place to be, great access to downtown.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post

Loads of people live in Montreal without speaking a sentence of French, theyre quite happy being here. Its a great city. Id recommend NDG, fantastic schools, nice place to be, great access to downtown.
He's merely saying that it's a wasted oppurtunity. Many people would love to be bilingual but don't have the chance. Part of the charm of living in Montreal is the fact that it's one of the few major metropolitan areas with two official languages. Like many have said you can get by just speaking english or just speaking french but why not try and learn a new language.

Also, NDG is the way to go.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
He's merely saying that it's a wasted oppurtunity. Many people would love to be bilingual but don't have the chance. Part of the charm of living in Montreal is the fact that it's one of the few major metropolitan areas with two official languages. Like many have said you can get by just speaking english or just speaking french but why not try and learn a new language.
Maybe because it's difficult enough to keep in your head and practice the other four? Also, not easy to find time to allocate for learning a new language for those who are employed full time and have families.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
You don't have to worry about the anti English factor, unless you go to Quebec city, or small towns around there.

Downtown Montréal you probably hear English and French 50/50.

There are places there where you can learn French in the afternoon, or at night. YMCA has night classes in French I believe. There's also GEOS, the place I went to and other language schools just downtown.

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir ?

That's all you need for the ladies

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
There are places there where you can learn French in the afternoon, or at night. YMCA has night classes in French I believe. There's also GEOS, the place I went to and other language schools just downtown.
Of course there are, but I'd be taking time away from my family (and friends) doing that, don't you think?

Now, I have absolutely nothing against French language. It's just that it isn't easy to find time to learn new language as you get older. When I was young I picked up Georgian, German and English just by moving around and going to school with local kids. Now it's a different story.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Of course there are, but I'd be taking time away from my family (and friends) doing that, don't you think?

Now, I have absolutely nothing against French language. It's just that it isn't easy to find time to learn new language as you get older. When I was young I picked up Georgian, German and English just by moving around and going to school with local kids. Now it's a different story.
Sorry, didn't mean, you bud. When I saw you knew four languages, I figured that was enough. I meant for the op, since he said he wanted to learn.

Sorry about the confusion.

With kids and all, work and already the confusion of all the languages, I don't blame you for not wanting to, especially if you get by already.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Sorry, didn't mean, you bud. When I saw you knew four languages, I figured that was enough. I meant for the op, since he said he wanted to learn.

Sorry about the confusion.

With kids and all, work and already the confusion of all the languages, I don't blame you for not wanting to, especially if you get by already.
Oh no, it's my bad. Should've figured it out since you did not quote me so it was obvious you weren't referring to my case.

Old
01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post

Loads of people live in Montreal without speaking a sentence of French, theyre quite happy being here. Its a great city.
Of course they are happy. You can't be sad if you don't know what you're missing.

You have to consider the fact that the population of the province of Quebec is French speaking at about 85%. The anglophones are highly concentrated on the West Island of Montreal, along US the border in Estrie, and along the Ontario border in Outaouais. So if you chose not to learn French, you cut yourself from 85% of the local medias, and from 85% of the local music, television anf film industry. You'll have no other choice but to read The Gazette for local news, or to watch CBC or CTV, 2 canadian broadcasters with a canadian angle in their news and program.

So if you don't want to live like you're isolated on an anglophone island and want to be in touch with the place you're living in, learning French is definitely a good idea. The music industry in anglo-Quebec is very vivacious it's true, but you also need to know who are the Cowboys Fringants, Malajube, Beau Dommage and Harmonium. There's good TV in Canada in general, but really, you need to be able to watch "Tout le monde en parle" or "La p'tite vie". And finally, I think I can say without being stoned that if you can't watch French Canadian movies, you'll basically miss all the best Canadian movies. Apart from a few angloplones movie makers (Egoyan, Soderbergh), Quebec produces all the best movies in Canada, and you really can't miss that!

And if you want to go on vacation out of the West Island and want to visit the most beautiful regions (Gaspésie, Côte-Nord, Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean), it's gonna be difficult if you don't speak a word of French.

But of course, you won't know what you miss if you don't learn French, and you'll probably still be happy... You'll just be very isolated.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Adam91

Does anyone on here go to Concordia? or can anyone show me some Conordia threads, I can't find anything too specific with the search.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:20 PM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post

Also, NDG is the way to go.
Actually there is only one official language, but two popular languages which co-exist well. My dad for example is an anglo from Côte St-Luc, but my mom is french (Acadian, actually). I'm a Montrealer since forever.

Havent' you guys seen "The Rocket"?
It's not about hate for most people at all, one thing is that historically business was old English money in Mtl, and labor was francophone. To francos it's a really important right to be able to live and work in french, which was not the case even in the 60s-70s (think civil rights movement, women lib, those days). Think about your own anxieties about not fitting in because you don't speak french; imagine not fitting in in your own home town. People come to live here from all over the world (50 000 a year in QC, almost all here in Montreal). The world speaks english, so many fancos are afraid things are going backwards in many ways at the same time as we evolve because more and more the workplace is becoming English again. I just hope all this can help you put us whiny francos in perspective!

Also a long time ago it used to be since immigrants obviously spoke English and went to English schools, and the local white kids spoke french and went to French schools, it caused a lot of xenophobia and useless hate as well. Now everyone has to go to the same schools (since 1971), and thank god for that.

Montreal : the best of Canada, France, America, Europe, and much more. Most beautiful women in the world, and the greatest sports organization of all time.