HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Moving to Montreal

Old
01-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Woland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Does anyone on here go to Concordia? or can anyone show me some Conordia threads, I can't find anything too specific with the search.
I do, what kind of questions do you have ?

Last edited by Woland: 01-29-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Of course they are happy. You can't be sad if you don't know what you're missing.

You have to consider the fact that the population of the province of Quebec is French speaking at about 85%. The anglophones are highly concentrated on the West Island of Montreal, along US the border in Estrie, and along the Ontario border in Outaouais. So if you chose not to learn French, you cut yourself from 85% of the local medias, and from 85% of the local music, television anf film industry. You'll have no other choice but to read The Gazette for local news, or to watch CBC or CTV, 2 canadian broadcasters with a canadian angle in their news and program.

So if you don't want to live like you're isolated on an anglophone island and want to be in touch with the place you're living in, learning French is definitely a good idea. The music industry in anglo-Quebec is very vivacious it's true, but you also need to know who are the Cowboys Fringants, Malajube, Beau Dommage and Harmonium. There's good TV in Canada in general, but really, you need to be able to watch "Tout le monde en parle" or "La p'tite vie". And finally, I think I can say without being stoned that if you can't watch French Canadian movies, you'll basically miss all the best Canadian movies. Apart from a few angloplones movie makers (Egoyan, Soderbergh), Quebec produces all the best movies in Canada, and you really can't miss that!

And if you want to go on vacation out of the West Island and want to visit the most beautiful regions (Gaspésie, Côte-Nord, Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean), it's gonna be difficult if you don't speak a word of French.

But of course, you won't know what you miss if you don't learn French, and you'll probably still be happy... You'll just be very isolated.
I'm sorry but your post makes it seem like it's almost a necessity to learn french, and that he's missing out on a ton.

Knowing french (in Montreal) is an asset. No one will deny that learning another language is nothing but a positive experience.

However, he doesn't "need to know" who les Cowboy Fringants, etc. etc. are (in fact, I'm sorry to say this, but most music from Quebec sucks), and he especially doesn't need to watch French shows (which I'm sorry but again, for the most part, are incredibly lame. Tout le monde en parle is good, but again, it's not like he's missing out on much).

As for the news and the media, there's plenty of English sources out there, even local news, that again learning french is far from a necessity.

I do give you a point that Quebec filmakers are the best in Canada, but other than Bon Cop Bad Cop, he's not missing too much .

The only thing he WILL be missing out on is traveling around Quebec, as out in the regions not many people will speak English, and if they do it will be a very broken down English.

So to the OP, know that learning french is an asset, but it's far from a necessity in Montreal. As some have pointed out, some people don't no a word of French and get by along fine. Since I assume you're of East Asian descent, you probably already know more than one language so I can understand the potential reluctance to learn a new one.

And before any of you frenchies call me a hater, I'm half-frenchie .

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

war is declared!

La musique du Québec est excellente.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
war is declared!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
HotPie

Quote:
war is declared!

Tous les goûts sont dans la nature .

Obviously it's only my opinion, I was merely offering a different perspective.

Old
01-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Spectaculard
Trout125HR363RBI442R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quebec music is good.....to laugh at.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 06:50 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I'm sorry but your post makes it seem like it's almost a necessity to learn french, and that he's missing out on a ton.

Knowing french (in Montreal) is an asset. No one will deny that learning another language is nothing but a positive experience.

However, he doesn't "need to know" who les Cowboy Fringants, etc. etc. are (in fact, I'm sorry to say this, but most music from Quebec sucks), and he especially doesn't need to watch French shows (which I'm sorry but again, for the most part, are incredibly lame. Tout le monde en parle is good, but again, it's not like he's missing out on much).

As for the news and the media, there's plenty of English sources out there, even local news, that again learning french is far from a necessity.

I do give you a point that Quebec filmakers are the best in Canada, but other than Bon Cop Bad Cop, he's not missing too much .

The only thing he WILL be missing out on is traveling around Quebec, as out in the regions not many people will speak English, and if they do it will be a very broken down English.

So to the OP, know that learning french is an asset, but it's far from a necessity in Montreal. As some have pointed out, some people don't no a word of French and get by along fine. Since I assume you're of East Asian descent, you probably already know more than one language so I can understand the potential reluctance to learn a new one.

And before any of you frenchies call me a hater, I'm half-frenchie .
I agree that it's not a necessity on the West Island, and that you can "get along fine" with English only. But again, if you want to go out of the West Island sometimes (we Frenchies often call the West Island the "English ghetto", but of course that's a very rich ghetto, hehe ), if you want to know and visit what's outside of the West Island, and if you want to have access to more than 15% of the local medias and cultural industry, learning French is not just an asset, it's a necessity.

Oh and, since half of the music I listen is Quebec music, I can say that I strongly disagree with you opinion about the very rich and diversified Quebec music industry. Les Cowboys Fringants, Malajube, Karkwa, Navet Confit, Dany Placard, Fred Fortin, Galaxie 500, Groovy Aardvark, Jacquemort, 3 gars su'l sofa, Anonymus, Exterio, La Loi des Cactus, Les Vulgaires Machins, Loco Locass, Les Dale Hawerchuk, Lhasa, Mes Aïeux, Pépé et sa guitare, Thomas Fersen, Jamil, Tricot Machine, WD40, Zébulon, Marc Déry, Ariane Moffat, Call me Poupée, just to name a few.

And I'm not even talking of all those English singing bands... The Stills, The Ste-Catherines, Of Montreal, GrimSkunk, Unexpect, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Patrick Watson, The Lost Fingers

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 01-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.
DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Mousepad*

I'm an expat in Cancun. I could get by in english easily, it's a tourist city. I however, went to a spanish class 3 hours per week. I've been here for 4 years now. I'm so glad i invested so little time to learn a 3rd language, it's a complete different experience.

So anyway, you can get by just fine with english only, but you're missing much, in my opinion. West Montreal is so small compared to what Quebec has to offer.

My 2c.

Mousepad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Oh and, since half of the music I listen is Quebec music, I can say that I strongly disagree with you opinion about the very rich and diversified Quebec music industry. Les Cowboys Fringants, Malajube, Karkwa, Navet Confit, Dany Placard, Fred Fortin, Galaxie 500, Groovy Aardvark, Jacquemort, 3 gars su'l sofa, Anonymus, Exterio, La Loi des Cactus, Les Vulgaires Machins, Loco Locass, Les Dale Hawerchuk, Lhasa, Mes Aïeux, Pépé et sa guitare, Thomas Fersen, Jamil, Tricot Machine, WD40, Zébulon, Marc Déry, Ariane Moffat, Call me Poupée, just to name a few.
these guys are my friends lol.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:42 PM
HotPie

Quote:
I agree that it's not a necessity on the West Island, and that you can "get along fine" with English only. But again, if you want to go out of the West Island sometimes (we Frenchies often call the West Island the "English ghetto", but of course that's a very rich ghetto, hehe ), if you want to know and visit what's outside of the West Island, and if you want to have access to more than 15% of the local medias and cultural industry, learning French is not just an asset, it's a necessity.

And I'm not even talking of all those English singing bands... The Stills, The Ste-Catherines, Of Montreal, GrimSkunk, Unexpect, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Patrick Watson, The Lost Fingers
Again, pretty much anywhere downtown in Montreal you don't need to speak french, not just West Island.

And about french music, well it looks like I'm not the only who shares the opinion.

Old
01-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Namso

Hello buddy,

You dont need to know a lick of french to survive in montreal. There are very developed English neighbourhoods in the city. Shopping in exclusively english is easy, especially in downtown and all the malls in the city. Great english highschools and elementary, most of the better colleges and universities are in english. English cinemas are plenty, and you can get basically any service you want in English.

I hardly know any french and have been able to survive here pretty well.

As for the Indian neighbourhoods, there are quite a few but no where near as many as in Toronto. Park Ex. is usually where the immigrants settle, so its not as affluent as other areas. As the immigrants move to better places, a lot of Indians settle in the DDO region, as well as on the South Shore.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Again, pretty much anywhere downtown in Montreal you don't need to speak french, not just West Island.
You don't need to know a lick of French to be fine in CDN, CSL, Hampstead, Westmount, downtown, Montreal West, NDG.

Anything west of St-Laurent pretty much.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:20 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You don't have to worry about the anti English factor, unless you go to Quebec city, or small towns around there.

Downtown Montréal you probably hear English and French 50/50.

There are places there where you can learn French in the afternoon, or at night. YMCA has night classes in French I believe. There's also GEOS, the place I went to and other language schools just downtown.

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir ?

That's all you need for the ladies
what ??? anti English factor in Quebec city ?

I'm sorry but this is ********.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Bohemian93

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc88 View Post
I was thinking of moving to montreal after I graduate..mainly because of my love of the habs and the city itself plus I have family there...I was wondering if there are a lot of jobs that don't require speaking french? Esp. in the managerial and administrative jobs..I keep hearing from my dad who grew up there that it is very difficult to get a good job there not speaking french...if there is...is there any place online that you can find these openings?
well both my parents have jobs in completely english environments youll find most of them downtown or on the west island. theirs a significiant english commutiny in montreal so dont worry

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1513
you could live in montreal without speaking french... or english

If youll work downton youll prolly want to rent something near and you wont need a car at all in this city.
i havent need one in 4 years here. ive always got something near a metro station which have saved me alot of money.
youll enjoy this city is a blast.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
m00ks

Need for french is overrated in this town. My parents have lived and held jobs here for 13 years before moving to the States. Neither was able to converse in french and they lived perfectly fine.

It's a bilingual city. You get service in whichever language you prefer: english or french. Shopping, movies, retail, restaurants, if you address people in english they'll talk in english simple as that. That goes for media as well.

I've always opted to be served in english and continue to do so. The only time I bust out my french is when talking to french-speaking friends, at work (required since I work part time at a store) or when trying to communicate with stubborn locals who won't give in to speaking english.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Haddock

Hum, yeah.

A bunch of people are saying that yeah, sure, one can get by fine using only english in his everyday life in this town. It's something that can easily be done. That person could, on top of that, use the opportunity to embrace another vibrant culture that's just there in the backyard anyway. Just something cool to do.

And another group is saying, **** that. Don't give in.

Just food for thoughts.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Hum, yeah.

A bunch of people are saying that yeah, sure, one can get by fine using only english in his everyday life in this town. It's something that can easily be done. That person could, on top of that, use the opportunity to embrace another vibrant culture that's just there in the backyard anyway. Just something cool to do.

And another group is saying, **** that. Don't give in.

Just food for thoughts.

i wasnt seeing it like that at all.
The guy only seems to speak english and asked if he was gonna make without speaking french.
The answer is simply yes.

No one is saying that learning french is a bad thing and that he shouldnt.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
top_shelf

i've been looking at various houses, and seems like "kirkland" in west island is a relativley new area with newer homes. Anyone have any more info on this neighbourhood?

top_shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
what ??? anti English factor in Quebec city ?

I'm sorry but this is ********.
Well, not Quebec city exactly, but around there. Some people who live there and even look at the french from France weird.

Quote:
war is declared!

Tu n'as pas raison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_shelf View Post
i've been looking at various houses, and seems like "kirkland" in west island is a relativley new area with newer homes. Anyone have any more info on this neighbourhood?
From what I've seen of Kirkland, it seems pretty small, but it is close to Montréal. Maybe 20-30 minute drive ? I think you'll have less chances to learn French if you want to there, unless you teach yourself and try and use it on day-to-day conversation. Only speaking English shouldn't be much of a factor there, same as Montréal. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I've only gone through it a couple of times on my way to Montréal.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote