Darren Dreger believes that Colby Armstrong is on the market

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Darren Dreger believes that Colby Armstrong is on the market

Quote:
Atlanta's Colby Armstrong has attracted interest this season, including from Pittsburgh who would like to see him reunited with Penguins captain Sidney Crosby.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=264962

I know it's a very general statement, but how does Atlanta's fanbase feel about that?

Personally, I'd only do it if Pascal Dupuis was coming back this way with a mid-round draft pick. Colby Armstrong is not a player that we should be looking to let go.

Old
01-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Ashe

He's really put it on..but i mean, If we can get dupuis back, And get perrin playing not like a bag of crap..I'd be down for it

Old
01-29-2009, 01:37 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
He's really put it on..but i mean, If we can get dupuis back, And get perrin playing not like a bag of crap..I'd be down for it
Perrin's a UFA who does not need to be re-signed. There's no reason to get Dupuis back in order to spark a player who hopefully will not be here next season. We have kids in the system who would do a better job on the 3rd/4th line than Perrin has been doing. They're bigger too.

Falconer had a post about Armstrong's contributions awhile back. The numbers are pretty staggering when you compare the shots for vs. shots against while Army is one the ice.

We would need to get a very solid return if Armstrong is traded.

Old
01-29-2009, 01:38 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
I'm glad he's playing well for you, but sentimental reasons aside, there's no good reason for us to bring him back. I hope this report isn't true.

Old
01-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

You guys can have Dupuis back in exchange for Colby if that would get it done. I'd help him pack, maybe fly his plane to Atlanta...I haven't really liked the guy since he came to Pittsburgh and would love to see him dealt for Colby. I hope there is truth to this, it seems Colby's stint in ATL has helped him find his game and a return to Pittsburgh would really help him get it going.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:12 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackColby20 View Post
You guys can have Dupuis back in exchange for Colby if that would get it done. I'd help him pack, maybe fly his plane to Atlanta...I haven't really liked the guy since he came to Pittsburgh and would love to see him dealt for Colby. I hope there is truth to this, it seems Colby's stint in ATL has helped him find his game and a return to Pittsburgh would really help him get it going.
If Army had to find his game in Atlanta, wouldn't that mean that Pittsburgh helped kill it?

Waddell is pretty high on Armstrong, so if you want him back, prepare to give up something worthwhile. You guys overpaid Dupuis on his new contract. He won't be part of the deal.

Old
01-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Colby's not leaving ATL unless its for an upgrade at RW.

Old
01-29-2009, 04:52 AM
teme

Apart from Kovy, he is the only the Thrasher forward that has both size and scoring ability. I just don't see the point in moving him.

Old
01-29-2009, 06:42 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I believe faeries will swoop down from the sky at the Georgia Lottery offices, and change the ping-pong balls so I win the jackpot.

The point of reports like him, Garrioch, and Eklund are to stir the proverbial pot. Basically, they're throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Old
01-29-2009, 07:10 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The only thing the article said is that other teams are asking about him. It doesn't say a thing about the Thrashers being interested in moving him.

Old
01-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Capa*

I really dont think Armstrong would bring that much back for us... like hes great most nights but still doesnt collect enough points to make his salary jump to what people think he deserves. He hits hard, he makes people look behind their backs when hes on the ice, hes got one hell of a shot and supposively hes a great team player. I just dont think the return would be enough for a guy that puts in around 20 goals a year (MAYBE) and even less assists. Unfortunatly he does too much to be let go for some Dupuis type player and a mid round pick. And even on top of all that hes a RW which is something that we need DESPERATLY.

With all that said.. I hope that we move Colby down to 3rd line where he belongs as soon as we get a decent fit for Kovy on RW. We should be focusing on getting a 2nd round pick for Schneider and trying to move Hedberg and Christensen for a mid round pick and a bag of pucks....Im thinking NYI might bite just because they have ZERO offense and no starter or backup.....not that I think they are going to make a run for the playoffs or soemthing... just because I thinkk they might need this for next year.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
Apart from Kovy, he is the only the Thrasher forward that has both size and scoring ability. I just don't see the point in moving him.
Agreed.

I REALLY like what Armstrong brings to the table.

He was a key part of the Hossa deal. The Thrashers are not going to move him unless they get blown away by an offer.

He's young, he hits, he can score, he moves the puck, he's still a RFA.

Unless he has privately requested a trade I just don't see him being dealt.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
fatschoonerrat

I like him a lot. He's young. He's a game changer with his energy and hitting. And he's got decent hands. Great 3rd liner. But not suited for top line play.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
I like him a lot. He's young. He's a game changer with his energy and hitting. And he's got decent hands. Great 3rd liner. But not suited for top line play.
I agree, but I could see him effectively riding shotgun int eh top 6, bringing the physical play to open up some space for his linemates and chipping in 15-20g or so.

Old
01-29-2009, 03:48 PM
paul7381

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackColby20 View Post
Anybody's game will get going when you are playing with Sid the kid cause he is the best overall player in the leauge

Old
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
He's young, he hits, he can score, he moves the puck, he's still a RFA.

[b]Unless he has privately requested a trade[b] I just don't see him being dealt.
That is the only concern I have.

Look, in 8 years how many guys have we had that can do everything that The Falconer listed. Not many.

Old
02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
David71

van should take a look at him.

Old
02-12-2009, 12:41 AM
lordstan57*

Not interested in moving Army. I know.... never say never but! I like his grit, I think he can be a 20 G. scorer sooner than later, AND... he has that certain intangible of sparking a team, keeping things lively, whatever. I LIKE HIS GAME! HIS APPROACH TO THE GAME! The kid can play, will take the body, and crash the net. Every Cup winner needs guys like him.

Quite possibly one if the things that is wrong in Pitt this season EH?
Not enough of that 'certain intangible'.

:thrashers

Old
02-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstan57 View Post
Not interested in moving Army. I know.... never say never but! I like his grit, I think he can be a 20 G. scorer sooner than later, AND... he has that certain intangible of sparking a team, keeping things lively, whatever. I LIKE HIS GAME! HIS APPROACH TO THE GAME! The kid can play, will take the body, and crash the net. Every Cup winner needs guys like him.

Quite possibly one if the things that is wrong in Pitt this season EH?
Not enough of that 'certain intangible'.

:thrashers

We certainly miss Colby's intangibles and after the trash we've seen play on Sid's wing this season, I'm pretty sure a lot of the "Colby never belongs with Sid" crowd would welcome him back on Sid's wing right now. However to rule him out is pretty foolish by ATL fans IMO, if the Pens want him back bad enough (and all indications here point to that being true) you guys would be well served by collecting a prospect/roster player and a 2nd or 3rd for him. I don't see the Thrashers starting to seriously compete until you get the Kovy situation handled one way or the other and start building a solid roster either around him or the parts you collect for him. Seeing how Colby isn't cracking your top 6 with the club you have now, why should there be any expectation for him to get in there when you either get a better supporting cast to go with Kovalchuk or trade him for a glut of talented forwards. I'm as guilty of over-valuing Colby as anyone, but his highest value is to the Penguins and if you can take advantage of that and reap a nice return for him it would serve far more valuable to your team than keeping Colby around on your 3rd line.

Old
02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Colby, like most of the rest of the team, have bounced around on the lines this season. If something doesn't seem to be clicking chemistry wise, it gets changed. In other words, he's "cracked the top six" this year.

No matter where Colby plays, though, he's been a solid addition to the team. I suppose that "sweetheart deal" you just can't refuse could come along, but otherwise, I wouldn't want to see him go. He's been an impact player this year, and has never taken a night off, even if the rest of the team appeared to do so.

Old
02-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Robotic

Army goes nowhere. Especially not for Perrin's homeboy Dupuis.

Old
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
If Army had to find his game in Atlanta, wouldn't that mean that Pittsburgh helped kill it?

Waddell is pretty high on Armstrong, so if you want him back, prepare to give up something worthwhile. You guys overpaid Dupuis on his new contract. He won't be part of the deal.
Not really since he hasn't been with any other team and he used to have it. I don't think we overpaid for Dupuis but I'd definetly take army back in an instant over him. Even if he didn't have a point this year.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=264962

I know it's a very general statement, but how does Atlanta's fanbase feel about that?

Personally, I'd only do it if Pascal Dupuis was coming back this way with a mid-round draft pick. Colby Armstrong is not a player that we should be looking to let go.
J. Staal + Ryan Whitney + Satan(Phillips arena would love this guy just because of his last name lol) to Atlanta
for
Colby, Todd White and Slava Kozlov

done.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
J. Staal + Ryan Whitney + Satan(Phillips arena would love this guy just because of his last name lol) to Atlanta
for
Colby, Todd White and Slava Kozlov

done.
Repeat after me: Slava has a no trade clause. This has been brought up plenty of times on the trade board.

Old
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
Army goes nowhere. Especially not for Perrin's homeboy Dupuis.
I'd take a Perrin/Dupuis combo over one Armstrong any day of the week.

The difference between the two is that Perrin seems to need Dupuis, while Dupuis doesn't need Perrin.

Closed Thread