HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens Interested in Colby Armstrong, Whitney Available

Old
01-29-2009, 08:59 AM
kovy1335

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Malkin-Crosby-Armstrong
Dupuis-Staal-Sykora
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy

That'd be interesting.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:03 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdst21 View Post
Plus if we got him Fedetanko wouldn't have to break his hand on Colby's face anymore so its win win win.
Speaking of Fedotenko, when does he come back? He was finally starting to get going when he got hurt

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovy1335 View Post
Malkin-Crosby-Armstrong
Dupuis-Staal-Sykora
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy

That'd be interesting.
If by interesting you mean not good enough, then yeah it's interesting.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
dmdst21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

I don't like the idea of bringing back Colby. Seriously, we're just giving up the idea of adding a real top-six winger, so now we are going retro with guys who were already tried and failed?

I like the guy. And I'm sure Sid would like him back on the team, and I am sure he's far from alone. But Sid didn't seem to mind not having Colby around last spring in the Cup finals, and that's the main point here. Sid is going to enjoy life in the NHL a hell of a lot more with a talented player next to him than with a good friend who can't finish. I mean, Colby is an upgrade over Miro Satan. That's it.
I agree with you that if we would do a deal to get him back in place of trying to get a true winger for Sid or if it was to bring back Sid's friend it would be the wrong thing to do. But if you are looking at it from a pure hockey perspective and trying to make the team better I am all for it.

And I do think he would make the team better. And I do disagree that he would only be an upgrade over Satan, the issue is how much of an upgrade would he be.

Looking at the quick stats for some comparable players from our team, realizing of course that players fill different roles and its not always an apples to apples comparison, so take it for what its worth:

Colby 13G 8A and E +/-

Dupuis 9G 3A and -1
Kennedy 8G 11A and +6
Fedetanko 11G 10A +7
Cooke 7G 11A -7

So while not a huge upgrade he is a player that can contribute, he has done a better job finishing this year than any of the comparable guys from our team, and would add a lot of intangibles that I think our team is really missing.

So I do think adding him would be an upgrade to our current roster. The issue that we all agree on is what would it take to get him and would the upgrade he would bring be worth it.

dmdst21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
Nah, unrelated comments from Dreger.

I also don't see why Atlanta would want to part with Armstrong as the return won't be anything worthwhile. He's wearing an A and has done pretty well for them, plus he gives the team a bit of an identity.
Exactly. Why would they part with a decent young winger with toughness and good character, whose rights they control for at least a few more years?

I just can't see a realistic deal for Colby that would make any sense for Atlanta.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdst21 View Post
I agree with you that if we would do a deal to get him back in place of trying to get a true winger for Sid or if it was to bring back Sid's friend it would be the wrong thing to do. But if you are looking at it from a pure hockey perspective and trying to make the team better I am all for it.

And I do think he would make the team better. And I do disagree that he would only be an upgrade over Satan, the issue is how much of an upgrade would he be.

Looking at the quick stats for some comparable players from our team, realizing of course that players fill different roles and its not always an apples to apples comparison, so take it for what its worth:

Colby 13G 8A and E +/-

Dupuis 9G 3A and -1
Kennedy 8G 11A and +6
Fedetanko 11G 10A +7
Cooke 7G 11A -7

So while not a huge upgrade he is a player that can contribute, he has done a better job finishing this year than any of the comparable guys from our team, and would add a lot of intangibles that I think our team is really missing.

So I do think adding him would be an upgrade to our current roster. The issue that we all agree on is what would it take to get him and would the upgrade he would bring be worth it.
It's hard to get around the idea that Armstrong failing as a top-six winger is what led to the deal with Atlanta in the first place.

Nothing has changed since last year, except the fact Colby is actually more appealing now than when we traded him because we are actually worse at wing than we were when we traded him.

It wouldn't take 3 games before the complaining would start about how Therrien is trying to place a square peg in a round hole. Well, if all we give Therrien is bottom-six forwards, he's never going to fix the lines that's for bloody sure.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:20 AM
dmdst21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Speaking of Fedotenko, when does he come back? He was finally starting to get going when he got hurt
The original report said 4-6 weeks and the injury was on Jan. 6th. So sometime within the next 2 weeks I would think. I think it was in the Post-Gazette that he was skating on his own now but he hand is still pretty swollen and he is not holding a stick yet. So if i had to guess I would say sometime right around the Red Wings game on Feb. 8th but probably no earlier than that game.

dmdst21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodILoveHockey View Post
It would be a sore mistake on Shero's part to trade Whitney if he wasn't getting a young, solid defenseman in return. Bouwmeester or Weber are the only two defensemen I'd be happy to see Whitney go for. Of course, he'd have to be part of a package deal, but you know what I'm sayin'.
Trading a defenseman for a defenseman doesn't make much sense because the Pens have enough d-men and the return wouldn't be high. We need wingers and have only two real trading pieces to get those wingers (Staal and Whitney). It's much easier to trade a defenseman for a winger because they are different positions and each side can give up a strenght to strengthen a weakness. If you try to trade Whit for another defenseman it'll be like the Boucher/Sydor trade, pretty equal.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HispA View Post
Yeah how on earth will a 21 year old Letang ever find the strength to play 4 more minutes a game?

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:46 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
These two tidbits have to be mutually exclusive. Otherwise, there is no sense in any of it.

I don't like the idea of bringing back Colby. Seriously, we're just giving up the idea of adding a real top-six winger, so now we are going retro with guys who were already tried and failed?

I like the guy. And I'm sure Sid would like him back on the team, and I am sure he's far from alone. But Sid didn't seem to mind not having Colby around last spring in the Cup finals, and that's the main point here. Sid is going to enjoy life in the NHL a hell of a lot more with a talented player next to him than with a good friend who can't finish. I mean, Colby is an upgrade over Miro Satan. That's it.
I'm not giving up the idea of getting Sid a winger, I think he needs 2. Armstrong would as you said be and upgrade to Satan for 1/3 the price then you have a little more cap space to fill the other side.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:49 AM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
What are you tryin to say, I'm a tool?
Seriusly though, I've been sayin all season that bthis squad lacked the team chemistry it had the last couple of seasons and Colby was a huge part of it.
Sometimes chemistry is just as important than talent.
NO it's just an awesome cover.

I seriously agree. I think Colby is a guy who brings some positive energy to the locker room. IN my opinion Sid is a pretty intense dude, and he needs a friend to keep him in check. ON the ice he is a decent player, but getting him here is more about chemistry.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I wish we had someone behind the bench that could get on Whitney to be a more complete player, every shift. Like Carlyle did with Gonchar.
To be honest, Gonchar was never near the level he was at last season while he was in Washington. I don't think Carlyle had anything to do with him playing that well, especially since it was years since he was coached by him.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

It seems that people are either thinking that Colby would be Sid's main winger or that Shero would trade Whitney for Colby, both of which are wrong.

Colby would replace Dupuis as the energy/physical guy on Sid's line not Satan as the skilled/goal scorer. Also, he could be had for pretty cheap considering Atl has been trying to shop him for a while and he hasn't really worked into their top line like expected.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:31 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGuru View Post
Yeah how on earth will a 21 year old Letang ever find the strength to play 4 more minutes a game?
Then who plays Letang's minutes genius?

Trading Whitney means guys like Eaton and Boucher and Gill have to play way more minutes...is that what you want?

Geez...Letang finally has a great game offensively and people forget about what Whitney's done over his career. Letang has 8 more points than Whitney this season in 28 more games. He isn't ready to replace Whitney's production just yet...regardless of how good he looked in one game.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:31 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
It seems that people are either thinking that Colby would be Sid's main winger or that Shero would trade Whitney for Colby, both of which are wrong.

Colby would replace Dupuis as the energy/physical guy on Sid's line not Satan as the skilled/goal scorer. Also, he could be had for pretty cheap considering Atl has been trying to shop him for a while and he hasn't really worked into their top line like expected.
Really? I was under the impression that Atlanta really liked him?

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
Really? I was under the impression that Atlanta really liked him?
I forget where I saw it but it said that they've been shopping him, and he's recently had an argument with Kovy. I can search for a link if its really that important.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
I also don't see why Atlanta would want to part with Armstrong as the return won't be anything worthwhile. He's wearing an A and has done pretty well for them, plus he gives the team a bit of an identity.
As a Thrashers fan I wouldn't trade Armstrong unless a team overpaid big time. We're rebuilding and he brings a lot of positives.

He's young
He hits
He can score some
He can help with leadership
He's cheap
He's still a RFA
He has the best Corsi number on the team (Thrashers outshoot the opposition when he is out on the ice at ES).

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:40 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
I forget where I saw it but it said that they've been shopping him, and he's recently had an argument with Kovy. I can search for a link if its really that important.
No, I'll take your word for it. Just every time I see their fans talk about him they seem to really like him. But I guess that was the consensus here, too.

Old
WVP

Quote:
I'd be interesting in reading that.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Then who plays Letang's minutes genius?

Trading Whitney means guys like Eaton and Boucher and Gill have to play way more minutes...is that what you want?

Geez...Letang finally has a great game offensively and people forget about what Whitney's done over his career. Letang has 8 more points than Whitney this season in 28 more games. He isn't ready to replace Whitney's production just yet...regardless of how good he looked in one game.
Well if we trade Whitney, then Gonchar will replace his mins, so Letang's mins wouldn't need to be replaced. However, if Letang replaces Whitney then Gonch would replace Letang. And the Pens also have this 23 year old puck mover with 19 points named Alex Goligoski who could replace Letang.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
This would be news to me. Can you provide a link?

Old
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

On ATL wanting to trade Army:
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade...ine/top25.html

Post #20
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=600537

Last edited by Ragamuffin Gunner: 01-29-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old
01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
OMG him. I wouldn't put ANY weight on what he says. I regularly chew him out on the Thrashers official boards for saying stupid things that have no factual basis. He's the last Thrashers poster I would rely on.

re: Fourth Period List. He needs to remove Kovalchuk. They're simply not going to trade him this year--not after naming him captain. If he turns down an extension next summer than he might be moved, but not right now.

He should put Reasoner on that trade list as he's an UFA and he could help out a playoff team.

Old
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

It seems every player has a Penguins logo beside their name. Seeing the Bolts logo near Whitney's name and the Pens logo by Marty St. Louis makes me nervous.

I don't want any part of MSL for Whitney. Although it looks like he still has it, it's not going to be for long.

Old
01-29-2009, 11:02 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Well if we trade Whitney, then Gonchar will replace his mins, so Letang's mins wouldn't need to be replaced. However, if Letang replaces Whitney then Gonch would replace Letang. And the Pens also have this 23 year old puck mover with 19 points named Alex Goligoski who could replace Letang.
That's what I was hoping for.

So essentially...Goligoski replaces Whitney? Watch some tapes of last year's playoffs and tell me he's honestly ready to have the same impact as Whitney during a playoff run.

It's a bad idea to start dealing established, puck moving defenseman with the plan being to replace them with younger ones. Look at Ottawa...the reason they've fallen off so much this season is they don't have any production from the backend anymore. Since the SCF they've lost Redden, Mezsaros, Corvo and Preissing (combined for 146 points that season)...they've been replaced with Lee, Picard, Bell and Kuba (on pace for a combined 94 points this season).

So let's say the Pens trade Whitney...and then Gonchar leaves the season after that. The Pens will be in dutch...mark my words.

You can never have too may puck moving defenseman...especially ones that have produced at the level that Whitney has.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote