HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andy McDonald

Old
01-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Oshie97

vCash: 500
Andy McDonald

I'm hoping the Blues are able to resign him, He should be coming back from his injury in around 2 weeks. If we cannot resign him what clubs would be interested in him around the trade deadline? He should have enough time to get his game going again, it's a shame he was injured because he had a great start.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:36 AM
ugotmybeef*

Sabres could be interested.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Canes need a legit 2nd line center behind Staal. MacDonald would be a good fit and could pick up a bit of the scoring slack. Unless the Canes go on a serious run and look like they are making the playoffs for sure, I don't really see them as buyers. I'd like to get a player of Andy's quality here but as an impending UFA I'm not sure. If an extension could be put in place, then that would be great, but I'd imagine if he goes on a deep run with a team, he'll hit UFA for sure. How much do you figure he'll get on the open market?

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Oshie97

I'm thinking he will get around 4.5-5 mil. This may be the reason why the Blues might have to trade him even though I think they want to keep him. We have EJ and Perron coming up for raises next yr and I don't know if the front office wants to put up that much before those guys are signed. We also have Berglund and Oshie who will fill the top two center spots next yr.Our D is eating up a lot of salary. Anyone want McKee or Brewer?

Old
01-29-2009, 09:27 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
I'm thinking he will get around 4.5-5 mil. This may be the reason why the Blues might have to trade him even though I think they want to keep him. We have EJ and Perron coming up for raises next yr and I don't know if the front office wants to put up that much before those guys are signed. We also have Berglund and Oshie who will fill the top two center spots next yr.Our D is eating up a lot of salary. Anyone want McKee or Brewer?
If healthy, I think McDonald is the best of the rentals available if the Blues decide to trade him. I've heard that they're trying pretty hard to sign him since he's still got about 4-5 years left in him at a really high level, so the betting man in me says he stays. But he's a proven stud in the playoffs, and no one remembers that he was easily Anaheim's best forward in the playoffs that year that they won the cup, finishing with 10 goals and many of them clutch.

The reason I bolded that one sentence. If he is resigned and healthy, there is no way he plays on the 3rd line behind two kids like Oshie and Berglund, no matter how much potential they have. I think he and Berglund anchor your top 2 lines in some capacity, and then Oshie centers the third line. No team in the league that is successful wins without at least one experienced center on your top 2 lines.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:33 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
If healthy, I think McDonald is the best of the rentals available if the Blues decide to trade him. I've heard that they're trying pretty hard to sign him since he's still got about 4-5 years left in him at a really high level, so the betting man in me says he stays. But he's a proven stud in the playoffs, and no one remembers that he was easily Anaheim's best forward in the playoffs that year that they won the cup, finishing with 10 goals and many of them clutch.

The reason I bolded that one sentence. If he is resigned and healthy, there is no way he plays on the 3rd line behind two kids like Oshie and Berglund, no matter how much potential they have. I think he and Berglund anchor your top 2 lines in some capacity, and then Oshie centers the third line. No team in the league that is successful wins without at least one experienced center on your top 2 lines.
Pens last year, but i get your point. When you're talking Crosby and Malkin (and Staal) you're in a pretty good spot at center.

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Chi: Beach
StL: McDonald

How about it?

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:42 AM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post

How about it?
if the Blues can't re-sign him.. i'd take this deal in a heartbeat.. i know the Blues were very high on Beach at the draft.

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Oshie97

I think Berglund has shown he can handle the number one center. Oshie is starting to show he can play a 2 way center role as well. If McDonald is not signed they get their shot to take over. I look at it as if you don't let the young talent take over and learn then they are never going to progress the way you want.

I hope we get to keep him but what do you think he will get in return at the deadline. He's definitely worth a 1st plus to a team that needs a good center for a cup run imo.

Old
01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Jeffro

Value of McDonald? $25M over 5.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:51 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
I think Berglund has shown he can handle the number one center. Oshie is starting to show he can play a 2 way center role as well. If McDonald is not signed they get their shot to take over. I look at it as if you don't let the young talent take over and learn then they are never going to progress the way you want.

I hope we get to keep him but what do you think he will get in return at the deadline. He's definitely worth a 1st plus to a team that needs a good center for a cup run imo.
To your first paragraph: If Stl decides that it's time for a youth movement, then yeah, they can roll out Berglund and Oshie as their top 2, and not look back. Long term both guys certainly project to those roles, but it's gonna be a long year of giving up goals if those two guys are anchoring the top two lines, but it could pay off in the long run.

As far as his trade value, I don't think it's that high. If he was healthy all year, then I bet there would be a pretty significant buzz around him getting moved, but the odds are that his injury really hurt his value. If he's out for two more weeks (and I heard he had a minor setback in his rehab), that means he plays about 5-7 games before the deadline, with the first few needed just to get his timing back. I don't see teams taking a huge risk with major assets/picks on a guy that has such a small sampling of games this year, regardless of his resume.

Old
01-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Jeffro

Quote:

TJ Oshie would be a not very good second line center. On the third line, between Backes and Steen? Much, much better. Slot in McDonald and Berglund on the top two lines. I like that way better.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
TJ Oshie would be a not very good second line center. On the third line, between Backes and Steen? Much, much better. Slot in McDonald and Berglund on the top two lines. I like that way better.

I like Oshie as the second-line RW, alongside Berglund and Perron...

...but having him center Backes and Steen is OK by me as well.

Curious, though, as to who the second-line LW would be. I'm guessing that the assumption here is that Tkachuk isn't traded, but is re-signed, so that the top line is Tkachuk-McDonald-Boyes.

Kariya's out of the picture for this season, and I don't like him as the second-line LW with Berglund and Perron anyway; there's little physical impact on that line, and Perron's playing out of position at RW.

If things remain status quo, and Kariya is back next year healthy, I'm thinking the lines end up looking something like:

Tkachuk - McDonald - Boyes
Perron - Berglund - Oshie
Kariya - Backes - Steen
Janssen - McClement - Crombeen

I'm not thrilled about the prospect of a $6 million third-liner, but Kariya's play doesn't really justify him playing ahead of either Tkachuk or Perron at LW at this point, either.

Signing Kariya seemed like a good idea at the time, but that contract has become something of a millstone around the Blues' necks. He's done little to justify getting the big money in his time with the Blues, although to be fair, he's been injured most of this year, and was playing pretty well before he got hurt...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:29 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

Curious, though, as to who the second-line LW would be. I'm guessing that the assumption here is that Tkachuk isn't traded, but is re-signed, so that the top line is Tkachuk-McDonald-Boyes.

Kariya's out of the picture for this season, and I don't like him as the second-line LW with Berglund and Perron anyway; there's little physical impact on that line, and Perron's playing out of position at RW.

If things remain status quo, and Kariya is back next year healthy, I'm thinking the lines end up looking something like:

Kariya - Backes - Steen

I'm not thrilled about the prospect of a $6 million third-liner, but Kariya's play doesn't really justify him playing ahead of either Tkachuk or Perron at LW at this point, either.

Signing Kariya seemed like a good idea at the time, but that contract has become something of a millstone around the Blues' necks. He's done little to justify getting the big money in his time with the Blues, although to be fair, he's been injured most of this year, and was playing pretty well before he got hurt...

P_B
I can understand why Blues fans have soured on Kariya. But when healthy, he's easily a top two line player. His problem isn't talent or scoring, he just can't get healthy.

One other opinion. As a B's fan, we want Tkachuk at the deadline. IMO, it's time to end the Tkachuk era in Stl. Use that money for a fresh face elsewhere. Cole's a free agent, Antropov's a free agent (whom I'm not a huge fan of, but you get the point). Start fresh with some youth with that money.

Old
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post

How about it?
DONE!

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Jeffro

Quote:

Kariya - Backes - Steen

P_B
In a perfect world, for me, next year...

Kariya - McDonald - Boyes
Perron - Berglund - Cammalleri
Backes - Oshie - Steen
Winchester/Janssen - McClement - Crombeen

Old
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
OpethianSabre20

Oshie97, what are the Blues' needs?

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
AnaheimDucks90

Andy McDonald will come back to his favorit and first NHL-Team, the Anaheim Ducks. He still loves Anaheim and the fans. An another reason: Brian Burke is in Toronto.

AnaheimDucks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:

Kariya - Backes - Steen

P_B
I agree 100% on Kariya. I didn't like the signing from the get go. Luckily, next year is it on that contract for the Blues.

I would like to keep McDonald. But if he doesn't want to re-sign for a 2 to 3 year on a lower contract than what he could get from other teams...than I would trade him for a good prospect (like a Beach offer).

With Tkachuck being traded OR not traded...I think either way there is a hell of a chance JD re-signs him to a 2 year contract and let him retire as a Blue. (Unless the Bruins trade for him and he re-signs there).

With that said...I think your lines are probably about right for next season. However, I don't see us keeping both McDonald AND Tkachuk for next year.

If we land the 2nd worst overall record and the Islanders pick Hedman OR we win the Lottery...I think there is a good chance Tavares starts in the NHL next season. So that would mean a trade of probably McDonald and by this summer or fall (if we re-sign Andy in the next 30 days).

Than you have our lines looking possibly like this for next fall:

Backes- Tavares - Boyes
Kariya - Tkachuck - Steen

Johnson-Jackman
Brewer-Polak
Pietrangelo-McKee

That doesn't take into consideration if we land Hedman instead of Tavares AND the prospect we get for McDonald (for example say Beach...though it's a long shot we get him).

Than you have something like this...

Beach- Backes - Boyes

Johnson-Jackman
Hedman-Brewer
Pietrangelo-Polak (give Mckee away for a crate of pucks)

Also, I like how you didn't put Eller in the lineup for next fall. I think Eller could go either way next year on making the club. But a good chance he doesn't start out with the Blues.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 01-29-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimDucks90 View Post
Andy McDonald will come back to his favorit and first NHL-Team, the Anaheim Ducks. He still loves Anaheim and the fans. An another reason: Brian Burke is in Toronto.
Not a quacks fan myself, but I was thinking the same thing. As the Ducks do in fact need another center, I could see them gunning for McD again. He could also end up in LA, but I'm fairly certain they'll go for a top 2 winger instead.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Well we don't really need any grinders or roll players. We have plenty of those. Our prospect pool is pretty deep but I doubt we would pass on lets say a 1st and a mid-level prospect.My biggest concern for the teams future is our depth at goal. Maybe a good goalie prospect or rookie could be involved.

Old
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Well we don't really need any grinders or roll players. We have plenty of those. Our prospect pool is pretty deep but I doubt we would pass on lets say a 1st and a mid-level prospect.My biggest concern for the teams future is our depth at goal. Maybe a good goalie prospect or rookie could be involved.
I second that.

A legit forward prospect, a 1st rounder or a quality goaltender.

Old
01-29-2009, 11:43 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
If you feel that Oshie is better suited for the wing like I do, then the Blues need an NHL-ready goaltender and center (assuming that McDonald is not back). Bishop isn't ready, Allen is years away, Legace is a UFA after this season, and Mason is a UFA after next year. At center we have Berglund, McDonald (UFA after this season), McClement (probable UFA after next season), Sonne (3rd line center prospect with 2nd line upside) ready in 10-11, and McRae (2nd line center prospect) that is at least two more years away. I prefer Oshie, Steen, and Backes at wing, but they could all play center if necessary. Eller (2nd line wing prospect ready in another year) has also played at center.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:45 AM
camarodude39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I agree 100% on Kariya. I didn't like the signing from the get go. Luckily, next year is it on that contract for the Blues.

I would like to keep McDonald. But if he doesn't want to re-sign for a 2 to 3 year on a lower contract than what he could get from other teams...than I would trade him for a good prospect (like a Beach offer).

With Tkachuck being traded OR not traded...I think either way there is a hell of a chance JD re-signs him to a 2 year contract and let him retire as a Blue. (Unless the Bruins trade for him and he re-signs there).

With that said...I think your lines are probably about right for next season. However, I don't see us keeping both McDonald AND Tkachuk for next year.

If we land the 2nd worst overall record and the Islanders pick Hedman OR we win the Lottery...I think there is a good chance Tavares starts in the NHL next season. So that would mean a trade of probably McDonald and by this summer or fall (if we re-sign Andy in the next 30 days).

Than you have our lines looking possibly like this for next fall:

Backes- Tavares - Boyes

Johnson-Jackman
Brewer-Polak
Pietrangelo-McKee

That doesn't take into consideration if we land Hedman instead of Tavares AND the prospect we get for McDonald (for example say Beach...though it's a long shot we get him).

Than you have something like this...

Beach- Backes - Boyes

Johnson-Jackman
Hedman-Brewer
Pietrangelo-Polak (give Mckee away for a crate of pucks)

Also, I like how you didn't put Eller in the lineup for next fall. I think Eller could go either way next year on making the club. But a good chance he doesn't start out with the Blues.
Where does Cola fit into all these defensive pairings? He has been one of our better defensemen since we aquired him.

Also, a top line of Kariya-McDonald-Boyes might be the worst top line in the NHL in their own end. They will probably put up a decent amount of goals, but they are pretty brutal defensively. I would think we would need someone more responsible defensively to sub in for one of those guys. Backes maybe? Oshie? I dont know, but those guys are not very good at backchecking.

camarodude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:53 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude39 View Post
Where does Cola fit into all these defensive pairings? He has been one of our better defensemen since we aquired him.

Also, a top line of Kariya-McDonald-Boyes might be the worst top line in the NHL in their own end. They will probably put up a decent amount of goals, but they are pretty brutal defensively. I would think we would need someone more responsible defensively to sub in for one of those guys. Backes maybe? Oshie? I dont know, but those guys are not very good at backchecking.
Forgot to put Cola in there...that is a good problem to have on D...as we know with injuries these last couples seasons. Between trades and injuries...I'm sure Cola will have plenty of time to play next year. Heck, who knows if Pie will be ready to go to start the season next year on the NHL roster.

I agree on that line up front. That is why I don't have Kariya and Boyes on the same line in my lineup proposal.

I think Backes will be on the 1st line next season with Boyes and ______.