HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Purcell Ties Ahl All-star Record

Old
01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
KingsRule

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Purcell Ties Ahl All-star Record

http://kings.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=406398

atta-boy Purcell! now come back up and do that in the bigs

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
sueroe

I watched the game last night, and man is Purcell a play maker. Just some nice set ups. I hope he can put it all together to exhibit those skills at the NHL level.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
I watched the game last night, and man is Purcell a play maker. Just some nice set ups. I hope he can put it all together to exhibit those skills at the NHL level.
I really wish he would get more time in the NHL instead of watching guys like Ivanans, Armstrong, Calder etc. This season is gone anyhow, let the kids get some experience/confidence with the big club.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:34 PM
no name

Quote:
I think he has shown some ability. Maybe I'm higher on him than others.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Although, I too agree that Purcell's a great talent, we ARE talking about a shootout here ummm...errrrr....I meant all star game.

But seriously, I do love Purcell on our pp.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I haven't been the least bit impressed with Purcell at all. When O'Sullivan got sent down, he came back a very different player. Between Boyle and Purcell, I think Boyle has showed the most improvement the times he has been up but Purcell pretty much has looked the same to me. Trevor Lewis impressed me more the short time he was up.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
I haven't been the least bit impressed with Purcell at all. When O'Sullivan got sent down, he came back a very different player. Between Boyle and Purcell, I think Boyle has showed the most improvement the times he has been up but Purcell pretty much has looked the same to me. Trevor Lewis impressed me more the short time he was up.
I agree with everything here.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I'll take Purcell over O'Sully at this point. . .Sully doesn't know how to pass. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:39 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
whats the latest on moulson? i havent heard his name in a while.. is he hurt?

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I'll take Purcell over O'Sully at this point. . .Sully doesn't know how to pass. . .
I believe Purcell is just an amazing passer, but seriously imo, O'Sullivan passes quite well. He would have had a more than a few assists if they were finshed on during that little 10 game point drought as he set up some pretty nice plays. He has struggled for sure as most of the team has struggled, but passing is something he can do and other players will note as one of his strengths. Are there times he should pass instead of shoot, absolutely are there numerous times others should shoot instead of pass, for sure. I think his issue has been centered around shooting and getting it on the net lately.

Old
01-27-2009, 06:36 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
I third to that.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Primakov!

Perhaps he can eventually pan out to something resembling Kris Versteeg of Chicago -- a solid playmaking right winger. Whether he ever accomplishes that or even while wearing a Kings uniform is up in the air.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 07:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
To be fair, who should he pass to? The Kings aren't exactly loaded with finishers. If the puck comes to you you shoot it or you can pass it back to Gauthier or Greene, maybe Armstrong along the boards, Zeiler, Ivanans, any of the supposed stocked pipeline kids?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
To be fair, who should he pass to? The Kings aren't exactly loaded with finishers. If the puck comes to you you shoot it or you can pass it back to Gauthier or Greene, maybe Armstrong along the boards, Zeiler, Ivanans, any of the supposed stocked pipeline kids?
I am fine with him taking the shot, its his shot that I take issue with. His Averyesque wrister from just inside the blue line isn't going to cut it in the NHL.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
I watched the game last night, and man is Purcell a play maker in the AHL. Just some nice set ups. I hope he can put it all together to exhibit those skills at the NHL level.
Fixed.

I'm still not sold on Purcell. His skating needs some serious work for him to excel at the NHL level and he definitely needs to get quicker.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
or Kopitar or Brown or any of the other scoring liners that he has failed to play with

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:41 PM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Fixed.

I'm still not sold on Purcell. His skating needs some serious work for him to excel at the NHL level and he definitely needs to get quicker.
I think we did see some of his play making skills and ability to create space on the pp and during a little stint with Kopitar and O'Sullivan, but thats why I put that "I hope he gets it all together" part to beable to realize possible potential at the NHL level I do agree he has lots of work, i am not sure its just about speed, but probably as much about the two way game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack
or Kopitar or Brown or any of the other scoring liners that he has failed to play with
Any other scoring lines he has failed to play with?? That is a bit of a reach.
I am pretty sure he has set up either 4 or 5 of Kopitars 12 goals. I also believe he and Kopitar had strung some success together on a line, but then they had the revolving door of wingers, Purcell, Lewis, Brown, Moller, Simmonds, etc.
Of course then there is a least two nice set ups to Kopitar and i think one or or two to Brown where they had nothing but empty net to shoot at and they missed, because everyone has been struggling to finish. Brown is starting to score now, and the only person who has been consistent in finishing throughout the season has been Frolov and he and O'Sullivan have had limited contact on a line this season.

My personal opinion when O'Sullivan is moved down in lines it is usually more about his attention to the little things around the forecheck and backchecking rather than anything else, which obviously leads to more offensive opportunities.
Even when he went on a 10 game point drought, he is still only five points back from Frolov, 7 from Brown, and Kopitar has 2 goals more than O'Sullivan. Not exactly being blown away here. The shot, who knows, maybe what Kopitar says, in respect to the system and low percentage shots, snake bitten, focussed on other things, sophmore slump, learning to create space for himself, maybe a little bit of everything.

Old
01-27-2009, 11:28 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
whats the latest on moulson? i havent heard his name in a while.. is he hurt?
Came back on the 7th of this month, so he's been playing. Beyond that haven't heard anything about him. Listened to a game on the radio over the net last week to see if maybe my brother would get in and heard his name a couple of times. KB would be the one to ask, he probably see the prospects play the most.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:35 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

How did a Purcell ties an AHL All-star record thread become a lets bash Sully fest?
If Sully exhibits anything from all his shots, its frustration at not having capable players to play with and having to focus his considerable skills on playing defense.

I think his (Sully's) play is off a bit, as is everyone's but frolov and lately Brown, but Purcell hasn't shown 1/10th of what Sully has. If purcell can make the jump from AHL to NHL, great, but so far, I havent seen it. When Teddy has played well, its only been for a few shifts at a time, but not through a whole game with significant minutes.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:32 AM
MxK1NGS

Nice!

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
You guys think this is why they sent him down? To see him play in the AHL all-star game. Maybe to see if last year was a hoax when he was MVP. I think he'll be back in a couple of days/weeks.

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:45 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Over the past two seasons, Sully really turned it on over the last 20 - 30 games. Let's hope he does that again this year.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:31 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Over the past two seasons, Sully really turned it on over the last 20 - 30 games. Let's hope he does that again this year.
Going to be tough to do with all those road games.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:50 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
When he was on Brown and Kopitars line (all 8 games) he wasn't the problem. Brown was. When he was on Kopitar's line without Brown he scored 10 points in the 11 game stretch.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Purcell is a young Robert Lang.

We weren't patient with him either.

Not all players develop in their early 20's.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote