HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

turco looks good

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2004, 10:07 PM
  #1
lace-em'-up
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
turco looks good

with another 1 goal game his GAA falls below 2.00.
he'll likely get 40 wins.
he has 7 shutouts could end the season chasing 10.
has been a workhorse all season long.
played though broken foot.

does he win vezina this year? hart?

will post close or better stats than brodeur, he seems to be the favorite.

what are your thoughts?

lace-em'-up is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 04:46 AM
  #2
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,136
vCash: 500
My thoughts are that he's a top 3 candidate for a 2nd straight season..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 10:12 PM
  #3
Wyvern
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
I think he is definately a top contender for either award. The Vezina is still way too close to pick all three candidates. As for the Hart, yeah I'd probably go out on a limb and definately say he should be a candidate for it.

Its going to come down to the wire, catching San Jose and getting the Division title will probably help out a little for both possibilities.

Wyvern is offline  
Old
03-09-2004, 10:24 PM
  #4
Spooner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oh, here and there
Country: United States
Posts: 741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Spooner
He did have a pretty piss-poor performance against the Pens tonight. Let in 4 goals on only 19 shots.

Spooner is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 07:15 AM
  #5
Chaos
3, 2, 1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner
He did have a pretty piss-poor performance against the Pens tonight. Let in 4 goals on only 19 shots.
Not sure if you watched the game or not, but he basically didnt have a chance on 3 of the 4. The defense hung him out to dry .

Chaos is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 07:55 AM
  #6
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,962
vCash: 500
Its been quite a year for goalies.. turco was off to a slow start and his sv.% doesn't really reflect anything too amazing. His wins have alot to do with the team in front of him.. he hasn't really stolen many games like other contenders.. the Hart trophy definitely won't come his way.. and the vezina probably wont either. He might get a nomination, but thats it.

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 08:19 AM
  #7
Chaos
3, 2, 1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
His wins aren't from the team in front of him...The team in front of him played like crap for more than half the season, and he was/is the only reason they were in the playoff race when they couldnt score to save their life.

Chaos is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 08:27 AM
  #8
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,741
vCash: 500
Arnott is the teams' MVP in my book. He has been the only guy carrying his weight all year. Turco has a ton of wins, but when you are 25th in save percentage, you could be playing much better. Hell, Cloutier has a better save percentage.

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now  
Old
03-10-2004, 08:54 AM
  #9
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Its been quite a year for goalies.. turco was off to a slow start and his sv.% doesn't really reflect anything too amazing. His wins have alot to do with the team in front of him.. he hasn't really stolen many games like other contenders.. the Hart trophy definitely won't come his way.. and the vezina probably wont either. He might get a nomination, but thats it.
Just be quiet, all your points are made up.

Turco is the reason this team wins and he steals games all the time. Just stick to your Theo bias without making yourself looking like a fool trying to make him look good to others..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 08:55 AM
  #10
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
Arnott is the teams' MVP in my book. He has been the only guy carrying his weight all year. Turco has a ton of wins, but when you are 25th in save percentage, you could be playing much better. Hell, Cloutier has a better save percentage.
Not even close..

Arnott hasn't even been his own team's best forward, nor center.

Turco is this team's MVP by a considerable distant. Morrow has been the best forward.

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 11:11 AM
  #11
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
I have been on these boards for a few months now. For some reason Marty Turco gets almost no love from anyone. Everytime his name comes up, people look for flaws. I dont get it. I think he has been pretty damn good since the day he got to the NHL. He was great as Belfour's backup, and he has put together 2 very good seasons as a starter.

I think he is the most disrespected player on these boards. Some guy didnt even put him in his top 20 NHL goalies. Cmon...thats just being stupid.

I think he's great. And those words dont come easy from a Wings fan.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 11:18 AM
  #12
CRUNK JUICE
Registered User
 
CRUNK JUICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I have been on these boards for a few months now. For some reason Marty Turco gets almost no love from anyone. Everytime his name comes up, people look for flaws. I dont get it. I think he has been pretty damn good since the day he got to the NHL. He was great as Belfour's backup, and he has put together 2 very good seasons as a starter.

I think he is the most disrespected player on these boards. Some guy didnt even put him in his top 20 NHL goalies. Cmon...thats just being stupid.

I think he's great. And those words dont come easy from a Wings fan.

CRUNK JUICE is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 11:20 AM
  #13
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Not even close..

Arnott hasn't even been his own team's best forward, nor center.

Turco is this team's MVP by a considerable distant. Morrow has been the best forward.
I agree with you here. Turco has given the Stars a chance at the playoffs; they've taken that chance and are now challenging for the division. If Turco didn't save their butts during that slump, they'd be in the same boat Edmonton is right now, perhaps worse. Morrow has been basically the only consistent forward for the Stars all season.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 11:27 AM
  #14
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
I agree with you here. Turco has given the Stars a chance at the playoffs; they've taken that chance and are now challenging for the division. If Turco didn't save their butts during that slump, they'd be in the same boat Edmonton is right now, perhaps worse. Morrow has been basically the only consistent forward for the Stars all season.
Thank you. And while I love the fact Morrow has been this great, something is wrong when he's your team's player MVP when you have the likes of Mike Modano, Sergei Zubov, Philippe Boucher, Jere Lehtinen, Bill Guerin, Pierre Turgeon and Jason Arnott. Just shows how dismal the Stars offense has been..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 02:36 PM
  #15
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Just be quiet, all your points are made up.

Turco is the reason this team wins and he steals games all the time. Just stick to your Theo bias without making yourself looking like a fool trying to make him look good to others..

Wow.. honestly when I saw this I almost fell off my chair.. I admit to being a fan of Jose Theodore, but if you didnt notice I'm also a fan of goalies.. I know what its all about..
Being a vezina/contender involves having the cability to steal games for your team.. now Marty Turco has 32 wins.. horay.. but its BECAUSE OF THE TEAM IN FRONT OF HIM.. his GAA? 2.03.. once again BECAUSE OF THE TEAM..IN FRONT OF HIM..

Now here's the stat that shows how much of a "game stealer" turco has been this year: his save percentage.. its .910.. not too shabby but not even comparable to the REAL vezina contenders: Luongo .933, Jose Theodore .923, Brodeur .916 (+ his 10 SOs)..

I'm not saying Turco is a bad goalie.. he's good.. what im saying is that before you say something like: "your points are all made up" you better make sure they are.. because ive got my facts straighter than anything.

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 02:49 PM
  #16
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Wow.. honestly when I saw this I almost fell off my chair.. I admit to being a fan of Jose Theodore, but if you didnt notice I'm also a fan of goalies.. I know what its all about..
Being a vezina/contender involves having the cability to steal games for your team.. now Marty Turco has 32 wins.. horay.. but its BECAUSE OF THE TEAM IN FRONT OF HIM.. his GAA? 2.03.. once again BECAUSE OF THE TEAM..IN FRONT OF HIM..

Now here's the stat that shows how much of a "game stealer" turco has been this year: his save percentage.. its .910.. not too shabby but not even comparable to the REAL vezina contenders: Luongo .933, Jose Theodore .923, Brodeur .916 (+ his 10 SOs)..

I'm not saying Turco is a bad goalie.. he's good.. what im saying is that before you say something like: "your points are all made up" you better make sure they are.. because ive got my facts straighter than anything.
Oh man, you are quite ignorant and childish.. Did you just type that without putting any value nto my reply? All you do is come up stats that doesn't even prove your point while ignoring the facts I and more posters gave you.

But that's cool, I'll just say that Theodore is overrated, wins because of the team in front of him, is a product of the system and is not a game stealer in any stretch of the imagination. *Closing hands on ears while yelling "I'm not listening, I don't care what you say" several times* Ne ne ne ne ne..

What a load of.. [censured] don't want to be banned for a 5th time..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 02:57 PM
  #17
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Oh man, you are quite ignorant and childish.. Did you just type that without putting any value nto my reply? All you do is come up stats that doesn't even prove your point while ignoring the facts I and more posters gave you.

But that's cool, I'll just say that Theodore is overrated, wins because of the team in front of him, is a product of the system and is not a game stealer in any stretch of the imagination. *Closing hands on ears while yelling "I'm not listening, I don't care what you say" several times* Ne ne ne ne ne..

What a load of.. [censured] don't want to be banned for a 5th time..
Wow buddy, quite the badass being banned five times and all...

Anyway, I brought out the stats because thats what i thought you meant by saying my points were all made up.. Guess not.. I used them to prove the fact that Turco is not a game stealer like Martin Brodeur who makes the game look so easy, who can play the puck better than most defensemen; not like Roberto Luongo who makes 50 saves a night to keep his team in games;not like Jose Theodore who stands on his head night after night in the first period so the habs can counter and take the momentum of a game from the other team; not like Ed Belfour who completes Toronto, and saves the games for them night after night..

What about this dont you understand??? Last season Marty Turco WAS a game-stealer.. he's having an average year, why can;t you accept that? He's an elite goalie for sure, in the top fifteen no doubt.. BUT NOT IN THE TOP FIVE..


Last edited by Karl Pilkington: 03-10-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 04:18 PM
  #18
CRUNK JUICE
Registered User
 
CRUNK JUICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Being a vezina/contender involves having the cability to steal games for your team.. now Marty Turco has 32 wins.. horay.. but its BECAUSE OF THE TEAM IN FRONT OF HIM.. his GAA? 2.03.. once again BECAUSE OF THE TEAM..IN FRONT OF HIM..
Oooooookay.... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you haven't watched too many Stars games this year. See the above posts. The ONLY reason why they're in a playoff spot right now after their opening slump is Turco.

CRUNK JUICE is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 05:23 PM
  #19
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vburnette
Oooooookay.... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you haven't watched too many Stars games this year. See the above posts. The ONLY reason why they're in a playoff spot right now after their opening slump is Turco.
I watch many stars games.. including the one last night .. and I know Turco has been playing well of late.. but unlike Luongo, Brodeur, Theodore, Belfour, he hasnt been playing all year.. and alot of the stars unsucessfulness at the beginning of this season isnt just because of him, it also has to do with :

-Getting used to Hatcher, Sydor being gone
-Mike Modano (who has picked up his game lately)
-Bill Guerin not playing to his full potentiel

It wasnt just Turco...

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 05:40 PM
  #20
-MrBean-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
I watch many stars games.. including the one last night .. and I know Turco has been playing well of late.. but unlike Luongo, Brodeur, Theodore, Belfour, he hasnt been playing all year.. and alot of the stars unsucessfulness at the beginning of this season isnt just because of him, it also has to do with :

-Getting used to Hatcher, Sydor being gone
-Mike Modano (who has picked up his game lately)
-Bill Guerin not playing to his full potentiel

It wasnt just Turco...
You're right, it wasn't just Turco. But somewhere around 18-20 games, Turco decided to pull his head outta his ass and play like a professional level goalie.

The rest of the team seemed to not play like professionals till abround games 43-47 or so.

Any wins in those 20-25 games, can be contributed to Turco saving the teams butt.

-MrBean- is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 11:21 PM
  #21
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Yeah, I have to agree with just about everyone else. Marty Turco IS the reason the Stars stayed in the hunt. He is their MVP hands down.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
03-10-2004, 11:32 PM
  #22
starsman93
Registered User
 
starsman93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Yeah, I have to agree with just about everyone else. Marty Turco IS the reason the Stars stayed in the hunt. He is their MVP hands down.
In the beginning of the season he was just as bad as everyone else. BUT, only for games approx. 10-25. The most consistent player and the mvp IMO is Brendan Morrow. Hell, he threw some of the best hits this season for the Stars with a seperated shoulder. Turco has played great since. He just slipped up during the beginning.

starsman93 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.