HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Diet/Workout Plan

Old
09-16-2009, 11:29 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Diet/Workout Plan

Recently, well over the last year and a half, I have had a few injuries and minor health problems. Since then I have kind of started to put on a bit of unwanted body fat. Now I play goalie in ball hockey and although I can still play half decent.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a diet plan or workout/exercise plan to help me lose some of the unwanted body fat and build a bit more muscle before the next season starts next year.

Thanks for any help.

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Jive Time

It will take two things to get you back in shape:

1. Exercise

In terms of fitness and conditioning, start slow and ramp up. Try to get your heart rate pumping at least 20 minutes a day. If you like the gym, then do it. If you are into running or some other activity that gets you going then do that. As your conditioning improves, add more to your routine until you meet the balance you want to achieve.

A quick google for "Hockey Training Exercises" will give you tons of sites to cross reference and help identify a good conditioning plan that fits you specific requirements.

2. Eat Right

Cut the carbs. This includes sugars and refined grains. Generally speaking if it's "white" it probably isn't very good for you. Load up on the fruits and veggies. Yes, it 's kind of a drag that you can't power pizza and burritos like you used to... Personally, I noticed that after about age 30 the weight starting packing on.

It wasn't until I started paying attention to what I was eating and a little portion control that things started to improve. A great way to be honest with yourself is to buy a scale and step on it EVERY DAY. The numbers won't lie and the daily reminder will help you stay on track.

I'm 41 now and it's not getting any easier so my recommendation is to develop a plan you can stick with for life.

Good luck with next season!

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's 80% diet, 20% exercise. I'm doing lifting to increase strength and metabolism and tracking calories to make sure I take in 3500 fewer than I burn each week (=1 pound). But my metabolism sucks so you might be able to get away with just light cardio and cleaning up the diet.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:05 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkob View Post
A great way to be honest with yourself is to buy a scale and step on it EVERY DAY. The numbers won't lie and the daily reminder will help you stay on track.
Actually a scale can be really misleading. If the OP is trying to burn off excess fat and also build muscle he might end up gaining weight. I recommend getting a measuring tape (a cloth one like a tailor might use and measuring your chest, waist and hips regularly.
I was just reading up on visceral fat recently -- if your belly is getting round this is the cause. It's fat stored under your abdominal muscles and it's the result of inactivity (I've developed a gut from working at a desk job for 10 years). The article said that fairly rigorous workouts were needed to work off that fat, specifically mentioning a jogging regimen of 18 miles per week.

As for muscle, where do you want to build more strength? I'm not that familiar with the specific needs of a goalie. I thought the more muscle mass you build the less flexible you become, but know that yoga is pretty widely embraced -- Boston's Tim Thomas swears by it.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:12 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Well I try and keep two things in shape. Due to injuries though I have had a hard time keeping in shape though.

1) Lower Body: it helps when moving side to side, and kicking off the posts if needed.

2) Overall Conditioning: It helps if you are able to play the same physically at the beginning and end of the game. If you aren't in the beset shape (like me currently) as the game progresses you start to move a little slower, depending on the flow of the game. If it is a fast pace game it can become noticeable for people that are in bad shape. The better shape you are in though, the more likely you are to be able to play at the same skill and pace as when the game started.

This is when my question came in. I was wondering what the fastest way to get in shape again was. I can't remember when the new season starts, but it is around the end of winter. I was hoping to be able to get into better shape then I was before my injuries before the next season. That way hopefully I will be able to play even better then before. I want my team to be able to rely on me whenever they need to.

Hope that helps to explain the situation a little bit more.

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:24 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
Well I try and keep two things in shape. Due to injuries though I have had a hard time keeping in shape though.

1) Lower Body: it helps when moving side to side, and kicking off the posts if needed.

2) Overall Conditioning: It helps if you are able to play the same physically at the beginning and end of the game. If you aren't in the beset shape (like me currently) as the game progresses you start to move a little slower, depending on the flow of the game. If it is a fast pace game it can become noticeable for people that are in bad shape. The better shape you are in though, the more likely you are to be able to play at the same skill and pace as when the game started.

This is when my question came in. I was wondering what the fastest way to get in shape again was. I can't remember when the new season starts, but it is around the end of winter. I was hoping to be able to get into better shape then I was before my injuries before the next season. That way hopefully I will be able to play even better then before. I want my team to be able to rely on me whenever they need to.

Hope that helps to explain the situation a little bit more.
I get what you're asking but don't have the answer. If you're still unsure about a training regimen you should edit the thread title to "Diet/Workout Plan for Goalies". There are some smart goaltenders on this board and the new title should draw their attention.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote