HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Breaking News: Bus Strike Is Over!!

Old
01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

vCash: 500
Breaking News: Bus Strike Is Over!!

IT'S OVER!!!! THE 51 DAY BUS STRIKE IS FINALLY OVER!!

Transit Strike is Over: City Hall Sources

CFRA News has learned that the OC Transpo strike is over.

Three reliable and independent sources inside city hall tell CFRA news that negotiators representing the striking drivers, mechanics and dispatchers have agreed to end the strike and to send all matters to binding arbitration.

The union did not want the scheduling issue sent to binding arbitration, but pressed for the financial deal to go that route.

The city did not want the monetary matters resolved through arbitration unless the contentious scheduling issue was included.

It is believed the resolution could pre-emp the need for an emergency debate in the House of Commons, and the need for back-to-work legislation forcing an end to the 51-day walkout.

Breaking News details on 580 CFRA as they become available.

Wow! Out of nowhere! GREAT NEWS!!

Spezza19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
The Chef*

man, i hate bus strikes..

seems like the ****ers over here always want more money.

i remember getting a monthly bus pass in my first year of high school at 25$, by my senior year it was like 37$. 12$ increase in 5 years...

adult passes are like 70$ they used to be 50$ not too long ago.

51 days on strike? holy hell. how the **** did you people get around?

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:20 PM
MuffinMan*

This sucks. Aside from the Sens, what else is there to complain about?

MuffinMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:21 PM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
The union did not want the scheduling issue sent to binding arbitration, but pressed for the financial deal to go that route.

The city did not want the monetary matters resolved through arbitration unless the contentious scheduling issue was included.
but i thought it wasnt about money

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
but i thought it wasnt about money
There were a whole bunch of issues, neither side was going to budge on their own so negotiators and mediators resolved it and got the sides to compromise. They're still being pretty much forced back to work but so glad it's finally done!

Spezza19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Owen Wilsons Nose

where can we get this confirmed from?

Owen Wilsons Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:29 PM
thatonekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilsons Nose View Post
where can we get this confirmed from?
http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=62790

thatonekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Saved

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...9/8195761.html

Saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
udonnoodles

vCash: 157
Great news!! But this should have happened weeks ago.

udonnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
i remember getting a monthly bus pass in my first year of high school at 25$, by my senior year it was like 37$. 12$ increase in 5 years...

So you where in high school for 5 years?

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Zorf

now everyone can spit on the greedy bus drivers when they get on the bus! YAY!

Don't get too excited though because it's still going to be a while before anything actually happens, and even longer before the busses start running again.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:41 PM
The Chef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan75 View Post
High school runs from grade 7 to 11 over here.

secondary 1 = grade 7 and so on

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
cage

Quote:
remember high school used to be 5 years... grade 13 (oac)

cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
mizza318

who cares ?

mizza318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Preeat

Send a message via MSN to Preeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post
now everyone can spit on the greedy bus drivers when they get on the bus! YAY!

Don't get too excited though because it's still going to be a while before anything actually happens, and even longer before the busses start running again.
It's people like you with attitudes like that which should be the one spat upon. I mean, can you blame the majority of the bus drivers for following what their union leaders were telling em to do? They were fed the stories and propoganda from the union heads and followed along with it and entrenched themselves on one side while O'Brien and the City handed out their side of the stories and propoganda to all of us citizens.

I hope the bus drivers aren't abused, assaulted or harrased when they get back to work. They don't deserve it. Everyone's been crying about wanting busses back. The least you can do is show some respect to the drivers who are actually providing you with the bus service that you've long been wanting. Yeah I know what most people will say to this argument - "It's because of the drivers we've been dealing with this strike". I don't think anyone can legitimately put 100% of the blame on the shoulders of the uinion and drivers or put it squarely on the shoulders of the City. Both are to be equally blamed for this.

To all the other people like myself who depend on busses, please just behave when the busses do get up and running again. We've all been through enough here so do we really need to cause more problems for eachother by harassign the drivers.

Last edited by Preeat: 01-29-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Preeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:48 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza318 View Post
who cares ?
The vast majority of people living in Ottawa. Get a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeat View Post
It's people like you with attitudes like that which should be the one spat upon. I mean, can you blame the majority of the bus drivers for following what their union leaders were telling em to do? They were fed the stories and propoganda from the union heads and followed along with it and entrenched themselves on one side while O'Brien and the City handed out their side of the stories and propoganda to all of us citizens.

I hope the bus drivers aren't abused, assaulted or harrased when they get back to work. They don't deserve it. Everyone's been crying about wanting busses back. The least you can do is show some respect to the drivers who are actually providing you with the bus service that you've long been wanting. Yeah I know what most people will say to this argument - "It's because of the drivers we've been dealing with this strike". I don't think anyone can legitimately put 100% of the blame on the shoulders of the uinion and drivers or put it squarely on the shoulders of the City. Both are to be equally blamed for this.

To all the other people like myself who depend on busses, please just behave when the busses do get up and running again. We've all been through enough here so do we really need to cause more problems for eachother by harassign the drivers?
Those drivers will need protection. I can just picture that last drunk 95 on a friday.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Owen Wilsons Nose

Check out the attachment. How do i get the pic to showup in the thread?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ocsign_1.jpeg‎ (83.9 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by Owen Wilsons Nose: 01-29-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Owen Wilsons Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
I hope the bus drivers aren't abused, assaulted or harrased when they get back to work. They don't deserve it.
I wouldn't wanna piss off the guy behind the wheel. When you step aboard your life is in his hands!

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
mizza318

Quote:
HAHA thats awesome...

Old
01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
mizza318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exemplify View Post
I wouldn't wanna piss off the guy behind the wheel. When you step aboard your life is in his hands!
I hope they are...****ing jokers...its not like you need to go to school to be a bus driver....and yet they act like as if they are saving lives. I honestly lost all respect on them...all the chaos they created...I haven't used the bus since highschool...i'd rather work my ass off and buy and pay for a car then support them

Old
01-29-2009, 05:02 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Put the link in between [IMG][/IMG] and it will show up!

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
BigCanadian

Quote:
I mean, can you blame the majority of the bus drivers for following what their union leaders were telling em to do?
Yes.

Quote:
They were fed the stories and propoganda from the union heads and followed along with it and entrenched themselves on one side while O'Brien and the City handed out their side of the stories and propoganda to all of us citizens.
So they were fed stories... Well, if I were among them, and I was proposed with the posibility of a strike, I would find out the facts, not propoganda and stories. I expect the same from them.

Quote:
I hope the bus drivers aren't abused, assaulted or harrased when they get back to work. They don't deserve it.
The thing is, many people will not agree with you. They WILL be abused. People lost their jobs and were, as Andre said, "very inconvenienced", and they will, for a while anyway, be VERY upset. I am surprised more picketers weren't hurt actually, as people were pissed, and although he majority of the public can be tolerant, there are both sides of the bell curve, meaning some people just can't hold it in.

Quote:
Yeah I know what most people will say to this argument - "It's because of the drivers we've been dealing with this strike". I don't think anyone can legitimately put 100% of the blame on the shoulders of the uinion and drivers or put it squarely on the shoulders of the City. Both are to be equally blamed for this.
You are right, most people will say that. Also, I don't think you can say they are "equally" to blame.

BigCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
It's called Quebec, my ig'nant little friend.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:

To all the other people like myself who depend on busses, please just behave when the busses do get up and running again. We've all been through enough here so do we really need to cause more problems for eachother by harassign the drivers.
I disagree with this. Sorry. From my experience, most bus drivers are *******s, especially to teenagers. When I used to take the bus, it was borderline profiling what they were doing.

Should people spit on them? No. Would I? Yes. But any harrassment in this case I think is well deserved. I would wait to see a bus driver do something stupid and would, for sure, bring that back in his face if I feel he deserves it.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanadian View Post
The thing is, many people will not agree with you. They WILL be abused. People lost their jobs and were, as Andre said, "very inconvenienced", and they will, for a while anyway, be VERY upset. I am surprised more picketers weren't hurt actually, as people were pissed, and although he majority of the public can be tolerant, there are both sides of the bell curve, meaning some people just can't hold it in.
Actually, most people won't do anything. Yes, there will be some idiots, but I suspect most people will be happy that they are back.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote