HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Breaking News: Bus Strike Is Over!!

Old
01-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Wilfrid Laurier

vCash: 500
I hope the drivers hear it from the riders. They should know how people suffered during this catastrophe. There was dozens of things they could have done. My favorite idea is to let people ride for free, hit O'Brien and the councillors where it hurts, the balance sheet. Instead they decided to hurt those who are most vulnerable, who have no other way of getting around and getting groceries, etc.

I hope that if someone was physically injured because they couldn't get to a doctor's appointment or hospital that they sue the union.

Wilfrid Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Preeat

Send a message via MSN to Preeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfrid Laurier View Post
I hope the drivers hear it from the riders. They should know how people suffered during this catastrophe. There was dozens of things they could have done. My favorite idea is to let people ride for free, hit O'Brien and the councillors where it hurts, the balance sheet. Instead they decided to hurt those who are most vulnerable, who have no other way of getting around and getting groceries, etc.

I hope that if someone was physically injured because they couldn't get to a doctor's appointment or hospital that they sue the union.
I don't know if the drivers would be able to allow people to ride for free without the city's permission. Correct me if I'm wrong but the OC Transpo supervisors who do the random ticket checks from time to time are city employed and they could easily just go on a bunch of busses and ticket whoever doesn't have a pass or transfer. That would be $150 that I'd rather not have to give to the City.

Preeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Wilfrid Laurier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeat View Post
I don't know if the drivers would be able to allow people to ride for free without the city's permission. Correct me if I'm wrong but the OC Transpo supervisors who do the random ticket checks from time to time are city employed and they could easily just go on a bunch of busses and ticket whoever doesn't have a pass or transfer. That would be $150 that I'd rather not have to give to the City.
They could have just given out free transfers to all the passengers, in case the constables show up.

Wilfrid Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

I feel sorry for the drivers... most of them anyways.

I'm pissed off at the mayor and the union.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Zorf
Let's win it all- MR

Quote:
Funny technicality about them. If they catch you, technically speaking, you can refuse to show them ID. You aren't under arrest, and they aren't police officers, so, when they ask you for ID, tell them you don't have any. They can't search you. If they do, you can take it to court for unlawful search.

You can be a straight up arse and tell them that your name is Mickey Mouse, and they can't do anything until a real cop shows up.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Zorf
Let's win it all- MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post

I don't feel sorry at all. They were a bunch of belligerent assmonkeys while they were on strike. Preventing students from getting to their exams officially made me lose all respect for them. I personally was hoping that the strike would go on for a long time. Screw them. I don't care if the union wanted them to picket there. Get a life and let students get to their exams.

I was also hoping that the city would start lowering their offer every week that the strike went on. Greed shouldn't be rewarded. They had the option to vote on a big frigging raise, and they overwhelmingly voted against it. Blame the union all you want, but, the last time I checked, I was allowed to make up my own mind.

They want to control their scheduling, but, I know that I would not want to be on a bus that has had the same driver for 17 straight hours. That's ridiculous.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
gmyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post
Funny technicality about them. If they catch you, technically speaking, you can refuse to show them ID. You aren't under arrest, and they aren't police officers, so, when they ask you for ID, tell them you don't have any. They can't search you. If they do, you can take it to court for unlawful search.

You can be a straight up arse and tell them that your name is Mickey Mouse, and they can't do anything until a real cop shows up.
Yes they can arrest you. They have special constable status. Then they call in the cops and your 150$ just turned into much more.

gmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:26 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
It's called Quebec, my ig'nant little friend.
Or Ontario just a few years ago.

Quote:
That doesnt include overtime.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:26 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmyx View Post
Yes they can arrest you. They have special constable status. Then they call in the cops and your 150$ just turned into much more.
No, only a minority are special constables. And they may be losing that power.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Don't try and act like you didn't need to be corrected. Lighten up.
Yes Spezza19. I bow down to your absolute stature. I didn't mean to bypass your astronomical "intelligence". Please forgive me, and allow me to show my gratitude, with this sacrificed pig I have salvaged for you.

Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:41 AM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Yes Spezza19. I bow down to your absolute stature. I didn't mean to bypass your astronomical "intelligence". Please forgive me, and allow me to show my gratitude, with this sacrificed pig I have salvaged for you.
Wow you are one bitter person.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post

More people need to know this (even I didn't know this, so I'd always move my ID out of my wallet to another pocket whenever I farejump). I always see people going peacefully when they get caught by an OC Rent-a-Cop - I'd just run like hell.

I'd love to see a fare strike organized in the wake of all this nonsense. We just got bent over for the better part of two months, and you know people are just going to go back to buying passes and grumbling under their breath about the whole thing.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 553
About damned time, I'll be sure to berate a few drivers if they get lippy during their drives...they have NOTHING to complain about, passenger abuse or not.

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Cherith Cutestory

I get the expression 'a few rotten apples spoil the bunch' could apply here, but I think it's better to just let it be and not hassle the drivers. Plus, i'm guessing that all drivers (or at least most) are likely not gonna take any garbage from the public and the first thing out of someones mouth that is in any way offensive they will boot them right off the bus. Is that worth it? To give an insult to a driver only to be kicked off the bus and have to wait for the next one?

What I am waiting for are the ads put out by OC transpo attempting to get the public to forgive them or somehow make it so that people forget about the past 51 days and say 'aww, well all is forgiven!'

Last edited by Cherith Cutestory: 01-30-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Good. Don't feel sorry for the drivers, the older ones anyway, they had an old boys club that didn't want to give up their overtimes to the younger guys.

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 10:33 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Not in my nature to do anything to the drivers or buses but I will stop saying "hello" when I get on the bus and "thanks" when I get off.

Take that.

p.s. I recommend people that are pissed start paying for two with ripped in half 5 dollar bills. You can do this twice obviously, just rip the bill, fold it up, then keep the rest of it for next time. I'd do this if I was drunk I suppose, little too old to do it sober and risk the embarrassment of being caught on the way to/fro work.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Not in my nature to do anything to the drivers or buses but I will stop saying "hello" when I get on the bus and "thanks" when I get off.

Take that.
Exactly, I'm usually rather friendly and polite. Now there will be cold indifference and a "look". I think that gets the point across effectively.

Except I don't think the buses will be running before I leave the country for good. I won't miss the snow and the crap public transportation.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Max Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post

lol
Ya especially those poor bus drivers on the cities list of employees that make over 100k a year. That's our tax money well spent... I think all people with a high school education should work for the government and make that kind of money
Brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Wow you are one bitter person.
Dude he's not mad, giving you a pig sounds more like love
I love pork products

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Latest update.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...0/8205831.html

No mention about when the service will be up and running but it appears that the city spent a pooload of money in advertising and mitigation.

Someone REALLY needs to take the city to task on how they spend tax payers money on this service.

Some of the highlights.

Quote:
Council members were told today that city and union negotiators have agreed to, and signed off on, 275 of the approximately 300 issues on the table.
so...does that mean that 25 of the issues are going to binding arbitration or are they going to continue to piss and moan about this stuff?

Quote:
An arbitrator will be appointed by the federal labour minister and must begin work within 60 days. A decision has to be made within 90 days from the beginning of arbitration hearings.
Argh...so 3 months till this is sorted out and put to bed?

How much are we paying for that arbitrator? Argh!!!

SensGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod View Post
Latest update.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...0/8205831.html

No mention about when the service will be up and running but it appears that the city spent a pooload of money in advertising and mitigation.

Someone REALLY needs to take the city to task on how they spend tax payers money on this service.

Some of the highlights.

so...does that mean that 25 of the issues are going to binding arbitration or are they going to continue to piss and moan about this stuff?

Argh...so 3 months till this is sorted out and put to bed?

How much are we paying for that arbitrator? Argh!!!
You need to relax.

All outstanding issues will be settled by an arbitrator. So yes, the outstanding 25 issues will be resolved through arbitration. Some of the issues are the big, key sticking points, such as the scheduling, work hours, etc.

The strike is over. Regardless of how long it takes for a decision, the strike is officially over since both sides are agreed to binding arbitration.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:19 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
You need to relax.
Is it safe to assume the following about you:

1) You don't own a home and pay 4 grand in property taxes to the city per year?
2) You don't use the bus to get to work?

If you answered anything close to yes for either of these questions...you should be upset.

Old
01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Is it safe to assume the following about you:

1) You don't own a home and pay 4 grand in property taxes to the city per year?
2) You don't use the bus to get to work?

If you answered anything close to yes for either of these questions...you should be upset.
I own a home and pay more than $4K in property taxes.

I do take the bus to work and have an EcoPass. The strike, as such, has been a great inconvenience to me, but I have coworkers and friends in my neighbourhood that I can carpool with. Yes, the fact that most of the issues were settled but a handful weren't and, consequently, were the causes of this prolonged strike do in fact frustrate me. But my own frustrations aren't worth discussing since they're minute in the bigger scheme of things.

Also, some of the questions you posed shouldn't be all too worrying for anyone. The strike is over and a final resolution (i.e., CBA) will be reached in the coming months. Since both sides agreed to binding arbitration, there's no threat of a strike in the near or medium terms.

As for the amount the city spent on advertising and mitigation, that doesn't bother me that much since one could say that they were keeping the public "informed". It's also an organization's job to have risk mitigation strategies in the case of the strike going longer and if the city takes a public relations hit.

What does concern me is what the city will do with the millions of dollars it has saved due to the strike. Will they invest it back into the city or will they just pocket it to balance the books?

Another issue that bothered me during this whole ordeal was the lack of effort by the city to help the city's most vulnerable citizens. While the city did put in place a fund for people to access, it could have done a lot more to help some individuals in the city. For instance, the city could have worked with the city's hospitals, private bus companies, and tax companies to develop a transit plan to get patients to and from the hospital. Some of these individuals aren't eligible to call ParaTranspo because they are not considered "high need" even though they may have a life-threatening disease that requires daily treatment at the hospital.

Those are the issues that I'm concerned with, not how much the city spent on advertising and mitigation.

Old
01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I own a home and pay more than $4K in property taxes.

I do take the bus to work and have an EcoPass. The strike, as such, has been a great inconvenience to me, but I have coworkers and friends in my neighbourhood that I can carpool with. Yes, the fact that most of the issues were settled but a handful weren't and, consequently, were the causes of this prolonged strike do in fact frustrate me. But my own frustrations aren't worth discussing since they're minute in the bigger scheme of things.

Also, some of the questions you posed shouldn't be all too worrying for anyone. The strike is over and a final resolution (i.e., CBA) will be reached in the coming months. Since both sides agreed to binding arbitration, there's no threat of a strike in the near or medium terms.

As for the amount the city spent on advertising and mitigation, that doesn't bother me that much since one could say that they were keeping the public "informed". It's also an organization's job to have risk mitigation strategies in the case of the strike going longer and if the city takes a public relations hit.

What does concern me is what the city will do with the millions of dollars it has saved due to the strike. Will they invest it back into the city or will they just pocket it to balance the books?

Another issue that bothered me during this whole ordeal was the lack of effort by the city to help the city's most vulnerable citizens. While the city did put in place a fund for people to access, it could have done a lot more to help some individuals in the city. For instance, the city could have worked with the city's hospitals, private bus companies, and tax companies to develop a transit plan to get patients to and from the hospital. Some of these individuals aren't eligible to call ParaTranspo because they are not considered "high need" even though they may have a life-threatening disease that requires daily treatment at the hospital.

Those are the issues that I'm concerned with, not how much the city spent on advertising and mitigation.
You and I are on the same boat...I'm just more po'd about it.

You touched on somethings that have really upset me...that has to do with the people that are defendant on the service. Luckily you and I have been able to make or pay for alternative arrangements, but how about the people that lost their jobs over this whole thing.

According to the article I posted earlier...the savings aren't as much as anticipated.

It's really time to privatize the service and turn it into a business and not a money sinkhole.

Old
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
You and I are on the same boat...I'm just more po'd about it.

You touched on somethings that have really upset me...that has to do with the people that are defendant on the service. Luckily you and I have been able to make or pay for alternative arrangements, but how about the people that lost their jobs over this whole thing.

According to the article I posted earlier...the savings aren't as much as anticipated.

It's really time to privatize the service and turn it into a business and not a money sinkhole.
Yeah, you and I were very fortunate. My wife is a nurse (works in hemotology - or patients with blood cancers) and she told me some stories about people missing their medical appointments because they had no way of getting to the hospital. I was appalled to hear that the hospital and the city had not made arrangements to get patients to and from the hospital.

As for privatizing the service, I'm not sure that is an option given that it is "public transit". It would probably cost people more to use the service if it was privatized. Of course, having a true mass transit system may actually reduce costs, but that's a whole different story.

As for the miscalculation on the savings, I cannot say that I'm surprised. Hard to really understand the figures since the Sun article only gives the highlights as oppose to the line-by-line figures. For instance, the city may have indeed saved over $3M a week due to the strike, but this was before any future expenses were calculated, such as the rebates, advertising to get commuters back on the bus, etc. In addition, it seems like the figures now being released as still quite speculative and conservative.

Old
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
SensGod

Well...for me I've solved my OC Transpo problem. I just spoke with my CEO and they are now going to pay for a parking spot downtown for me.

No more OC Transpo for me! WooHoooo!!!!!

*runs around the room naked because I'm so happy!!!!!*