HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Atd-ML#10 THE MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Old
02-02-2009, 10:40 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
The Melville Millionaires are proud to select arguably the top goal-scoring centre available in the draft, a two-time 50-goal man who also won two Stanley Cups with the Montreal Canadiens:

C Pierre Larouche
....Sorry GBC, I sent the PM to the wrong person.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:53 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
....Sorry GBC, I sent the PM to the wrong person.
I knew I was up. I've been hitting refresh regularly for the last hour, waiting for you two guys to decide who the hell you're picking. (I was also going through the tape from my interview with HHOFer Ray Scapinello).

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:04 PM
pitseleh

Damnit, I was hoping to get Labine with my next set of picks.

The Americans select LW Red Hamill.

Hamill was known for being a tough, hard hitting winger. He built his record during the war years (2nd, 3rd, 9th in goals in 41/42, 42/43, 45/46) but his competition level was about the same as some other LWs taken in the draft (Shibicky, Getliffe). In various years he did finish ahead of players like Syl Apps, Gordie Drillon, Sweeney Schriner, Bill Cowley, Max Bentley, Toe Blake, and Bryan Hextall and he actually left to fight in the war during the really lean years for the NHL (43/44 and 44/45).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
seventieslord

C/D Goldie Prodger

- 5'10", 180 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1912, 1916)
- Top-10 in goals three times (7th-1911, 8th-1921, 10th-1923)
- 4th in assists, 1921
- 6th in points, 1921
- 3rd in playoff scoring, 1916
- Missed two prime seasons serving his country in WW1 (age 26 and 27)

Quote:
When Waterloo of the OPHL lost its star forward line to Quebec, they were faced with a rebuilding job for the 1911 season. They managed to secure players from Haileybury and Cobalt who had dropped from the NHA, but also added a new player who turned out to be a better prize. This was a big redhead named Goldie Prodger. He was a fast skater and his willingness to pass out heavy checks made him a natural for defense. However, the McNamara brothers had the defense jobs so he played as a forward.

His worth as a defenseman was recognized by Quebec and he was signed the following year by the Bulldogs. There he teamed with Joe Hall on defense and helped Quebec win their first Championship in 1912.

...He and Sprague Cleghorn made a tough defense that helped the Redbands to the playoffs... Goldie Enlisted and played for the 228th Batallion. The McNamara brothers ran the club and played defense, so Prodger moved up to the forward line... For some reason Quebec felt they had a lien on Prodger. A special league meeting was called at which president Calder placated Quebec by offering them a choice of Randall or ****** to forget Prodger. They chose Randall but he refused to report and nothing more came of the matter. At Toronto, Goldie played defense with Randall and had a spin on the forward line with Reg Noble and *******.

Hamilton entered the league the next year but the leftovers from Quebec were not enough to make a team and the other clubs had to help out. Toronto contributed Goldie and he played four years with Hamilton. The Tigers in their desperation to win, shuttled Goldie back and forth from defense to forward. He played defense with Coutu, Mummery, Randall, and **** and he was still fast enough (at 32) to keep up with Malone and Burch.
-The Trail Of the Stanley Cup

Quote:
The teams battled on even terms after goals by Tommy Dunderdale and ****** and there was very little to choose between them. Finally Goldie Prodger, who had been moved to the forward line, beat ****** with a nice shot that proved to be the winner.
-The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 1: 1916 Finals, deciding game. This was the 3rd straight game in which Prodger scored.

Quote:
A strong, fast skater with a special ability to use the body... two-way skills impressed Quebec management...
- Ultimate Hockey

Quote:
Goldie Prodger was a game man, and his own worst enemy. He never spared himself anywhere, doing anything. He played the game very hard and clean, he gave and took his share of thumps with a smile that wasn't even a grin of delight at the damage he inflicted. He just loved the game.
- Lou Marsh

Quote:
A strapping redhead with a thirst for violent body contact...his obvious aptitude for blueline duty was forsaken by his swift skating... Usually Goldie's presence meant a successful season for his squad...
- Fischler's Hockey Encyclopedia

Quote:
A great defenseman, a heavy hitter with a good shot... was the hero at the last dance in 1916, scoring the Cup winner on a superd end-to-end rush.
- Lord Stanley's Cup

Quote:
strong defensively and a rushing threat... During our research, we found him continually turning up on the rosters of the most improved teams in history; Prodger, who switched teams 10 times in his pro career, seemed to cause every new team he joined to improve dramatically. Coincidence? How many coincidences add up to a fact? Prodger was part of six of the 25 biggest single-season rises in major league history, and every single team he joined displayed a substantial improvement in their defensive record the first season he was with them.
- The Hockey Compendium

Goldie's Travels

As you can see, the teams Prodger joined won 52% more often than they did the previous season, on average. Their goals against average also got 22% better, on average. Only once did Prodger not have a positive impact on his team's win%, and not once did he fail to have a positive impact on his team's defensive record.

Quote:
A poor man's Moose Johnson
- renowned hockey historian, seventieslord

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Nalyd Psycho

The Oxford Dark Blues are pleased to select the first European player to ever get offered an NHL contract:

Josef Malecek

Quote:
During the 1927 European Championship tournament the organizers presented a new trophy that was handed over to the champions. It was a statue of Josef Malecek, quite an honor for a 23 year old player. He gradually became the team leader both on the club level and on the national team as the older generation of players retired. It was during the 1928 Olympics that he fully blossomed into his role as team leader.

In 1929 Malecek won his second European title with the Czechs in Hungary and was hailed as the best player in Europe by various newspapers. The Czech newspaper SPORT wrote:

It was the ultimate excellence in a hockey rink. He dazzled the crowd in a way so that even the most rabid Hungarian had to admit that he was the King of the tournament. His amazing movement and puck skills in combination with his incredible way to constantly set up his teammates was a thing of beauty.
Quote:
Radio broadcasts from hockey games by Josef Laufer became a regular occurence in the Czech households during the 1930's. Malecek quickly became a national icon and in 1933 one of the biggest daily newspapers in the country (Ceske Slovo) proclaimed Malecek as the most popular athlete in the country. Thousands of kids around Czechoslovakia grew up idolizing the slick center who wore # 5 on his back. Malecek became the first hockey player who was used in various commercials, be it tires or building material. He was also a popular hockey instructor around Prague and other Czech cities.
Malecek quickly became not only the most popular sports figure but one of the most popular celebrities bar none in Czechoslovakia.
Quote:
Nobody knows exactly how many goals Malecek scored during his career, but we know it was more than 1000 goals. He was hockey's first player who reached the 1000 goal plateau. At this moment Malecek has been tracked down with 1005 goals in 483 games with hundreds of unscored games to check.
http://www.sihss.se/josefmalecek.html

Quote:
But Josef Malecek was the king of European hockey. He was in fact so good that several of the touring Canadian teams in Europe during the 1930's wanted to bring him to Canada. Some of the players who had NHL experience said that he was good enough to play in the NHL. No other European player at that time got such fine reviews from the Canadians. Everybody in Europe feared this man as soon as he stepped on the ice. The touring Canadian teams knew that if they were able to stop Malecek that the game was won. So he was very closely checked by the Canadians every time they played LTC.
http://www.1972summitseries.com/othermalecek.html

02-02-2009, 11:39 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
The Yaroslav Manglers selects a Yaroslav Torpedos, nickname the Russian Tank. Pretty useful is shutting down opposition, and will do a terrific, international pairing with Rautakallio....

Dimitry Yushkevich
I love Yushkevich, and I've never selected him now in three MLDs. I find it so hard to gauge just how good he was without being sure that my Leaf admiration isn't clouding my judgment.

Quote:
You know you're up, right?
I didn't, actually. I got a PM 80 minutes after your message. Then when I read that message, I was in the middle of a long goldie Prodger bio. Sorry to hold up the show, fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Speaking of modern players...

Regina selects one of the better defensive centers of the 80's and 90's, a character guy with a couple cups.

The pride of Peace River, Alberta, C Brian Skrudland.
Thanks for making the pick for us, buddy.

Skrudland is the guy we targeted for a 3rd line center role right at the beginning. With apologies to Charlie Burns, we think we have the top defensive center in the draft. Which is why we can justify taking him in the 7th. Bio to come later. I'm behind by a few, and trying to do them in order....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
The Petes select RW Leo Labine
Definitely on our list for a 3rd or 4th line RW. He's one of the few best in the draft for that role.

Quote:
Would have made a TERRIFIC 3rd C.
So in other words, he is that for us, right?

I'm not sure why he wasn't taken this ATD. He was a mainstay in ATD7, ATD8 and ATD9 as a 3rd line center. Somehow slipped through the cracks.

Quote:
The Melville Millionaires are proud to select arguably the top goal-scoring centre available in the draft, a two-time 50-goal man who also won two Stanley Cups with the Montreal Canadiens:

C Pierre Larouche
Never in a million years did I think you'd take this guy. You avoid flaky players like the plague and this guy is one of the biggest flakes ever. Not that I'm saying it's a bad pick; after all, I took him a year ago in MLD8. You need individual talents to win and in this context, he can be a game breaker.

He needs some strong, steadying influences in his dressing room and probably on his wings - knowing you, you'll probably get him that.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:44 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Never in a million years did I think you'd take this guy. You avoid flaky players like the plague and this guy is one of the biggest flakes ever. Not that I'm saying it's a bad pick; after all, I took him a year ago in MLD8. You need individual talents to win and in this context, he can be a game breaker.

He needs some strong, steadying influences in his dressing room and probably on his wings - knowing you, you'll probably get him that.
You're right, he's not the natural GBC type of player. But when I look at who's still out there for offensive centres for the second line, I think he's the best, and I think he's a definite cut those available, or those picked in the MLD, for goal scoring centres.

We have a couple of excellent leaders in George Owen and Ryan Smyth - probably two of the best leaders in the MLD. And we have a very high-character guy in Brad Richards.

He's kind of the anti-Richards: Larouche is, by the MLD's standard, an elite goal-scoring centre. He's also a really good playmaker. But he's not going to give you much beyond his offensive contributions. Richards is a top-notch playmaker for the MLD, and a really good goal scorer. He's also very good defensively, and his character is excellent.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
The Oxford Dark Blues are pleased to select the first European player to ever get offered an NHL contract:

Josef Malecek

http://www.sihss.se/josefmalecek.html

http://www.1972summitseries.com/othermalecek.html
Good pick. I had him last draft as a #2 center and he got some recognition in MVP voting so he moved up for the second round.

As for not knowing how many goals he scored, the researchers at sihrhockey.org have done a good job and, including playoffs, he scored 1304 goals in 567 games. All that's missing from this record, is his final four seasons as a playing coach in the Swiss League.

Check out my bio from last MLD: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=164

He is the Czech Bobrov, without the damning anecdotal evidence of his lacklustre defensive play and impossibility to coach. He was actually noted as being very coachable.

Old
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Good pick. I had him last draft as a #2 center and he got some recognition in MVP voting so he moved up for the second round.

As for not knowing how many goals he scored, the researchers at sihrhockey.org have done a good job and, including playoffs, he scored 1304 goals in 567 games. All that's missing from this record, is his final four seasons as a playing coach in the Swiss League.

Check out my bio from last MLD: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=164
I'll gladly have a 1300 goal scorer as my center.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:04 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
I love Yushkevich, and I've never selected him now in three MLDs. I find it so hard to gauge just how good he was without being sure that my Leaf admiration isn't clouding my judgment.
Don't worry. It isn't clouding your judgement. I love Yushkevich, dislike the Flyers immensely and hate hate hate the leafs, no not hate, more like find the smell and look of them disgusting, and the sound too, there is only three times i have anything but revulsion or at best apathy for the leafs and that's when they play the red wings, when sundin scores or when yushkevich is on the ice... just as i can be a huge yzerman fan but wanna see the red wings go to hell every day of my life, so i can love yushkevich and wish the leafs would just relocate to toledo and have their fans shut the **** up about that putrid franchise of the modern era (i have neutral feelings about pre-modern leafs)

some players you cant help but like... you can try, but resistence is futile

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 1575
Is anyone going to be around for few hours that can take a list?

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:27 AM
seventieslord

LW Slava Kozlov

- Stanley Cup (1997, 1998)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1995)
- Detroit's All-time Playoff GWG Leader with 12 in 114 GP
- 338 Goals, 794 Points in 1096 NHL Games, 42-37-79 in 118 Playoff Games
- 6 points in 10 Games in Best-on-Best International tournaments (1992, 1996)
- 64 points in 42 Games in other International tournaments
- One Gold, Three Silver, Three Bronze in these tournaments
- All-Star Team, Top Forward, Top Scorer, 1990 European Junior Championships

Quote:
A centre with excellent speed, quickness, and scoring ability...He played for the USSR at European Junior Championships in 1990 where he was named the top forward and placed on the tournament all-star team. ...He scored 36 goals in 1995-96 and enjoyed solid post-seasons when Detroit won consecutive Stanley Cups in 1997 and 1998... In 2006-07, Kozlov appeared in 81 games for the Thrashers and recorded a career-best 80 points (28 goals, 52 assists). His offensive contributions helped the Thrashers earn their first Southeast Division championship and a birth into the playoffs.
-loh.net

Quote:
Small but gutsy...
-Detroit Red Wings: the Illustrated History

Quote:
superb one-on-one skills...
- Wings of Fire: The History of the Detroit Red Wings

Old
02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Is anyone going to be around for few hours that can take a list?
I probably won't go to bed for about 4 hours, so, yes, I can.

Old
02-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Nalyd Psycho

The Oxford Dark Blues trade their 9th and 10th rounders (103 & 114) to the Regina Capitals for their 8th (94th) and 12th rounder.

Waiting for confirmation

Old
02-03-2009, 01:37 AM
seventieslord

G Miikka Kiprusoff

- Stanley Cup Finalist (2004)
- World Cup Silver (2004)
- Vezina Trophy (2006)
- NHL 1st All-Star Team (2006)
- Jennings Trophy (2006)
- 4X Top-5 in Vezina Voting (1st-2006, 2nd-2004, 3rd-2007, 5th-2008)
- 2X Top-4 in Hart Voting (3rd-2006, 4th-2004)
- 2X NHL GAA leader (2004, 2006)
- 4X Top-3 in Wins (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009*) *currently
- 2X Top-3 in sv% (2004, 2006)
- 2X Top-3 in playoff sv% (2004, 2007)

Quote:
Upon his arrival in Calgary, Kiprusoff was instrumental in leading the Flames to their first playoff appearance since the 1996 post season and their first Stanley Cup final since 1989, while leading the NHL with a 1.69 GAA and tying with Minnesota's Dwayne Roloson with a .933 save percentage.
- loh.net

Kipper vs. 26 modern MLD backups and ATD Goalies

Vezina or pre-1982 AST (and Hart) Voting Records - only top 5's included

Tom Barrasso - 1, 2, 2, 2, 3 (NIL)
Don Edwards - 2, 2, 3, 4, 5 (4)
Curtis Joseph - 2, 3, 3, 4, 5 (4)
Mike Liut - 1, 2, 3, 5 (2, 3)
Miikka Kiprusoff - 1, 2, 3, 5 (3, 4)
John Vanbiesbrouck - 1, 2, 4 (3, 5)
Pete Peeters - 1, 4, 5 (2)
Andy Moog - 3, 5, 5, 5 (NIL)
Evgeni Nabokov - 2, 4, 4 (NIL)
Mike Vernon - 2, 4, 5 (NIL)
Marty Turco - 2, 4, 5 (NIL)
Henrik Lundqvist - 3, 3, 3 (NIL)
Roberto Luongo - 2, 3 (2)
Kirk McLean - 2, 3 (4)
Chico Resch - 2, 3 (NIL)
Ron Hextall - 1, 5 (NIL)
Jose Theodore - 1 (1)
Pelle Lindbergh - 1 (3)
Olaf Kolzig - 1 (4)
Sean Burke - 3 (4)
Mike Richter - 3 (NIL)
Chris Osgood - 2 (NIL)
Rollie Melanson - 2 (NIL)
J.S. Giguere - 4 (NIL)
Bill Ranford - NIL (NIL)
Nikolai Khabibulin - NIL (NIL)
Gilles Meloche - NIL (NIL)

Seventieslord's Career Adjusted Playoff Perseverance Metric:

Basically how each goalie's playoff sv% has compared to the league average throughout his playoff career - higher is better.

Roberto Luongo - 1.03018*
Olaf Kolzig - 1.02208
John Vanbiesbrouck - 1.01767
Chico Resch - 1.01535
Pelle Lindbergh - 1.01310*
Miikka Kiprusoff - 1.01248
Kirk McLean - 1.01162
Gilles Meloche - 1.01113
J.S. Giguere - 1.01073
Curtis Joseph - 1.00861
Nikolai Khabibulin - 1.00821
Jose Theodore - 1.00804
Tom Barrasso - 1.00558
Mike Richter - 1.00527
Bill Ranford - 1.00452
Ron Hextall - 1.00050
Sean Burke - 1.00050
Mike Liut - 0.99986
Don Edwards - 0.99688
Evgeni Nabokov - 0.99650
Chris Osgood - 0.99481
Andy Moog - 0.99403
Marty Turco - 0.99236
Pete Peeters - 0.99036
Mike Vernon - 0.98997
Henrik Lundqvist - .98996*
Rollie Melanson - 0.95291*

* - has played significantly fewer playoff minutes than the other goalies on the list - not a great sample size - easier to score very high or very low when sample size is this small.

Goalies in the top-10 of both lists: Joseph, Kiprusoff, Vanbiesbrouck, Barrasso

Goalies in the top half of both lists who are in the MLD: Kiprusoff

Last edited by seventieslord: 11-02-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old
02-03-2009, 01:38 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
The Oxford Dark Blues trade their 9th and 10th rounders (103 & 114) to the Regina Capitals for their 8th (94th) and 12th rounder.

Waiting for confirmation
confirmed.

Old
02-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds time limit expires.

Dayton Ohio Mincer Rays select: Frank "Pud" Glass RW.

Old
02-03-2009, 06:35 AM
pappyline

Fog devils select LW Dan Maloney

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 06:40 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Adirondack takes G Pete Peeters
- Vezina winner, 1st team all-star, Hart runner-up to Gretzky
- '84 Canada Cup winner
he was one of two on our shortlist of ideal backups

so we traded up to get the other guy

Old
02-03-2009, 06:55 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

The Dark Blues of Oxford select as backup a netminder who has proven himself over a productive 11-year NHL career more than capable of peaking by himself as well as sharing the crease and especially stepping into big game situations and shining

Don Edwards

NHL Second All-Star Team (1978, 1980)
Shared Vezina Trophy with Bob Sauve (1980)
1981 Canada Cup back-up
AHL Second All-Star Team (1976)
OMJHL First All-Star Team (1974, 1975)

Quote:
Goaltender Don Edwards was a fifth round pick of the Buffalo Sabres, 135th overall in the 1975 NHL Draft. To say he was a steal would be a huge understatement. Edwards had a highly successful eleven-year NHL career that included stops in Buffalo, Calgary, and Toronto.

Edwards was a standout goalie in junior hockey with the Kitchener Rangers of the OHA. He was a workhorse, playing in 120 games over two seasons, and yet was not listed as a high draft pick by the scouting bureau. Many felt his size--or lack of it--would be a major problem in the NHL.

In his first pro season, Edwards got the nod to start in goal for 25 Sabres games in 1976-77 after spending a year honing his skills in the minors with the Hershey Bears. In 1977-78, he was tabbed the team's number one netminder and played in 72 games. In fact, from the time he was called up from Hershey, Edwards played in 50 of 53 Sabres' games and 85 of their last 91 regular season contests. What had the hockey world amazed was how Edwards seemed to save his best performances for the league's strongest teams. Buffalo did not have a losing record against any of the top teams and Edwards' goals against average facing Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, and the New York Islanders was lower that it was against the rest of the league. Worried that they were overusing their goalie, the Sabres cut his games down to 54 in 1978-79, giving more playing time to backup Bob Sauve. Edwards posted a solid 26-18-9 record. In 1979-80 he and Sauve shared the Vezina trophy, given to the team with the lowest goals against average.

Edwards remained in Buffalo for another two years, turning in excellent seasons which saw him play in 45 and 62 games, respectively. But the Buffalo management and fans were becoming frustrated at a team that never seemed to be able to get far in the playoffs after posting strong regular season results. In the off-season, the Sabres decided it was time to move in a new direction and so Edwards and Richie Dunn were sent to the Calgary Flames
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=18501

Old
02-03-2009, 08:25 AM
papershoes

sorry for missing my pick - feel free to skip any of my picks if i'm not logged in.

the greyhounds are pleased to select...

ulf dahlen (rw)

A tough, physical forward who excelled at playing in the corners, along the boards, and behind the net. Dahlen is a solid two-way player with sound defensive skills and solid goal-scoring ability. With 127 powerplay goals, the greyhounds expect him to be a strong presence on the powerplay.

Last edited by papershoes: 02-03-2009 at 08:31 AM.
papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 08:41 AM
seventieslord

C Brian Skrudland

- 6'0", 195 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1986, 1999)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1989, 1996, 2000)
- 4X Top-15 for Selke (3rd-1994, 5th-1995, 11th-1991, 15th-1996)
- AHL Playoff MVP (1985)
- Advanced past first round 10 times in 11 playoffs
- Always one of his team's top penalty killers

Quote:
As the Sherbrooke captain in 1984-85, Skrudland led the team into the playoffs where they won the Calder Cup. He was awarded the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the playoff MVP for 1985. His next stop was Montreal.

The Canadiens of 1985-86 had several young players with the team, including Skrudland and a rookie netminder named Patrick Roy, as they came together to make a run for the Cup. They faced the Calgary Flames in the finals and went on to win their 22nd Stanley Cup in a five game series. Skrudland enjoyed several years in Montreal as they headed into the playoffs year after year. In the 1992-93 season, as the Canadiens were on their way to another Stanley Cup celebration, Skrudland was traded to the Flames*, where he finished out the season. That summer he was claimed by the new Florida Panthers in the Expansion Draft of 1993.

Skrudland became the team's first captain for the 1993-94 season and after two seasons of being out of the playoffs helped lead them to the Stanley Cup finals in 1995-96. They were the underdog team that everyone cheered on through each round, but the cheering stopped when the Colorado Avalanche swept them in the finals.

...With the help of Skrudland once again, the Stars faced Dominik Hasek and the Buffalo Sabres in the finals and came out of game six's overtime with a Stanley Cup held high over their heads. Skrudland had his second championship, some thirteen years apart.
Quote:
A defensive specialist for eight seasons in Montreal, center Brian Skrudland was rewarded with a Stanley Cup championship at the end of his rookie season.

Undrafted coming out of junior hockey, Brian Skrudland beat the odds and wound up playing 15 seasons in the NHL. The majority of his career was spent with the Canadiens, where he etched his name into the NHL record book during his rookie campaign.

Montreal made it into the playoffs in 1986, as they did in every spring that Skrudland was on the roster. He scored nine seconds into extra time in the second game of the Finals that spring, ending what is still the shortest overtime game in NHL history. Skrudland hit a career high when he accumulated 13 points in as many games during the 1991 playoffs.

He would stay for the next seven full seasons, his determination and refusal to give an inch making the young pivot a valuable contributor. Playing a regular shift and killing penalties...His greatest contributions, while not as spectacular as those made by some of his flashier teammates, were essential nonetheless. He ate up minutes, both at even strength and while the Habs were down a man, rarely making a mental error or being caught out of position... Always a physical presence, Skrudland’s penalty minutes diminished significantly as he matured and learned to better use his body...
- ourhistory.canadiens.com

Quote:
I took his pizza order on the phone when I worked at Domino's. Nice guy. A playoff warrior who helped his team win, everywhere he went.

* He was traded straight up for the fading **** ****** in one of the worst trades of all-time. ******, the younger and more offensively oriented player, managed 36 points over parts of that season and the next four before vanishing into oblivion. The older, wiser Skrudland amassed 40 in the next full season alone as the expansion Panthers' inagural captain and defensive specialist. Montreal is fortunate a stupid trade like this, did not cost them the cup, as ****** brought nothing to the table in the 1993 Playoffs.
Renowned hockey historian seventieslord

Old
02-03-2009, 08:50 AM
seventieslord

By the way, Edwards is a really nice pick. He is definitely the goalie I would have taken at this point, and I would rank him above a good number of already-drafted goalies. (see the above chart in the Kipper bio post for where Edwards ranks among them - and yes they are ALL drafted)

I am really surprised that it was such a priority to get him so early, though - this is the 8th round and you have a backup goalie. That must be a record. Why so soon? Can Edwards have as much impact on your team as a 2nd liner or 2nd pairing defenseman at this point? Or is much of it making sure another team doesn't get him?

Considering you took him before a couple teams took a starter and I readily admit he was the best available, it's safe to say you should have a top-3 backup in the opinions of most, if not all, GMs, and you have a top-3 starter, at least in my opinion. Great tandem you put together - the timing still startles me though.

Old
02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
seventieslord

Hedberg's time has been up for a while. I'm going to PM ck and cr now.

Old
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Tidewater selects RW Blaine Stoughton

1980 NHL Goal Leader

Stoughton twice scored 50 goals in the NHL (and once in the WHA).

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote