HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #48 | "Star Trappers" | Wild @ Oilers | 1/30/09 | 7:00 PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
is smack allowed to fight
I would assume so - if Boogard is in the lineup I don't think MacT would scratch both Stortini and Strudwick if MacIntyre isn't allowed to fight.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I would assume so - if Boogard is in the lineup I don't think MacT would scratch both Stortini and Strudwick if MacIntyre isn't allowed to fight.
I say, if Boogard is out of the lineup, that's the time you want to have your tough guys in there.

Not sure what it means for Corsi numbers, but if we're smacking them around like ragdolls and they don't have any response... that's gotta be a Good Thing, right?

Old
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I say, if Boogard is out of the lineup, that's the time you want to have your tough guys in there.

Not sure what it means for Corsi numbers, but if we're smacking them around like ragdolls and they don't have any response... that's gotta be a Good Thing, right?
For some reason, I'm getting a British vibe from you.

I'd rather have Brule in the lineup if Boogard is out. MacIntyre, Strudwick and Stortini are all extremely limited in their on-ice abilities. At this point, we need as much versatility as we can get in the forward corps.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Klaus*

Roli gets lit up like the sieve he is against Minnesota. 12 goals on 13 shots.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
For some reason, I'm getting a British vibe from you.
I'm as Canadian as a trip to Timmys for a donut, but yeah, I am a big fan of the British culture.

Quote:
I'd rather have Brule in the lineup if Boogard is out. MacIntyre, Strudwick and Stortini are all extremely limited in their on-ice abilities. At this point, we need as much versatility as we can get in the forward corps.
I disagree. I see a weakness in the Mild's armour -- no fighter -- and I think about how we can exploit that weakness.

SMac and Stortini don't have to play 15 minutes tonight. But if they get a solid 3-4 minutes in the first period, and take the body, Minny will be back on their heels from the get-go.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Rin

Something interesting I just stole from the Wild's website:

OILERS GOALIES: Roloson is 5-11-2 with a 3.00 GAA and a .889 SV% in 18 starts against the Wild…Dany Sabourin is 1-0-1 with a 1.44 GAA and a .945 SV% in two starts.

CALL UP SABO!! ...or is it?

Old
01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
I expect the fans to boo the Oilers the minute the game starts at the drop of the puck. Fans will refuse to forgive the team for the Sabres game and it will carry in tonight's game by the constant boos with the drop of the puck.

01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
GMofOilers

Mact pregame interview is up so is the other players.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Dirt McGirt
Я люблю водку

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Playoffs? I will be happy to see the Oilers redeem themselves over the next few games, then I will think about playoffs. And unless Lowellini does something to fix the holes, what is the point of making the playoffs just to get bounced in the first round and settle into another lousy draft pick? Better to tank and be in the top 10 in the draft than to just squeeze in.

Cripes, MacTavish is talking about using Gilbert as a forward on the powerplay because he is the closest thing to a sniper this team has... now if that doesn't raise a few people's eyebrows, I am not sure what will.

obviously you havent watched Gilbert when he jumps up in the rush.... he is dangerous, and with not as much defensive responsibility on the PP he may be able to put up some numbers. why not try it?

Old
01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

btw, for anyone that hasn't yet taken a listen of the first GDT music piece I posted in this thread, I highly recommend it. X-Ray Dog is well-known composer of fairly epic pieces.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:32 PM
OntOilFan

If the Oilers don't come out the gates like a bull on fire tonight, I'm pretty sure they don't have what it takes to make the playoffs.

They were thoroughly embarassed on home ice three days ago and they've been the laughing stock of the division ever since.

The way they lost, and they way they've absorbed ridicule these last two days, should be more than enough to galvanize that locker room into a frenzy.

I think the first five minutes of the night will be VERY telling.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Johnny LaRue

It's a big game for Edmonton to keep its head above water, because Minny is guaranteed to win tomorrow night. Vancouver is trying to keep its losing streak in tact.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_LaRue View Post
It's a big game for Edmonton to keep its head above water, because Minny is guaranteed to win tomorrow night. Vancouver is trying to keep its losing streak in tact.
Hey, as long as tomorrow night is a 2 point game...

Old
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 212
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher

01-30-2009, 02:47 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle View Post
Why is everyone saying the Wild play a boring game, it's not like the Oilers play an exciting brand of hockey. Today's game will be a non-hitting, passive forecheck game- just how MacT likes it.
Winning is exciting, if the trap wins, then the trap is exciting. But if you are a losing team that plays the trap, thats terrible to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
If the Oilers don't come out the gates like a bull on fire tonight, I'm pretty sure they don't have what it takes to make the playoffs.

They were thoroughly embarassed on home ice three days ago and they've been the laughing stock of the division ever since.

The way they lost, and they way they've absorbed ridicule these last two days, should be more than enough to galvanize that locker room into a frenzy.

I think the first five minutes of the night will be VERY telling.
Couldn't agree more with you OOF. If they don't come out guns a blazing then I honestly don't know how much I will support this team until something changes, and I truly believe that there are thousands of fans who are with me on this. If the Oilers lose tonight there won't be a mad exodus or anything but perhaps a few games in a row with out a sell out, or at least the molson half price tickets on game day will increase because less people are pre buying. More tickets will be available on the internet and all of a sudden there is less demand for tickets, lowering pricing and increasing availability. The last thing the Oilers want is for the tickets to be readily available.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
That caption would look good with a pic of Souray at the point of delivering one of his patented knuckle sammiches to the face of... oh, say, Ohlund.

Old
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
The Forechecker

lol@PPV.

Old
01-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Oil Change

vCash: 50
We can't beat the Wild at the Xcel Energy Center, so we've got to find a way to beat them at home.

Old
01-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Forechecker View Post
lol@PPV.

It's like a perfect storm.

Old
01-30-2009, 03:30 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Why? Because the last game against the Mild was boring as heck. They always seem to bring out the snore in us.
Almost every game the Oilers have played this year, outside of a couple, have been boring. Let's face it- the Oilers play a boring brand of hockey.

Old
01-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Dirt McGirt
Я люблю водку

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle View Post
Almost every game the Oilers have played this year, outside of a couple, have been boring. Let's face it- the Oilers play a boring brand of hockey.
NEVER!

Old
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Oi'll say!

Time for some tough love - the Oil need to get spanked again.

This team/franchise hasn't been any better than mediocre for the past 15 years but they've sunk to the bottom 6th of the league with metronome consistancy over that span. A win tonight means more of the same old same old and the race for 8th/9th place has lost a lot of it's lustre for me.

This team needs an enima and a .506 season won't do anyone in Oilerville any favors.

Old
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
rigger

I want Hemsky and Gaborik to fight if Gabby's playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Forechecker View Post
lol@PPV.

Love the David Brent picture, been meaning to say that for some time.

Old
01-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Stoneman89

Gentlemen, (if I may call any of you that ) to get a possible glimpse into how the Oil will play tonight, may I suggest we look back into recent history to try to find a similar example. On December 16, the team was involved in a similar blowout, 9-2 to the Hawks, as we all recall vividly and horrifically. Next game was eerily similar in that we played a hated division rival. Records show we lost that game 4-2 (empty netter), and memory , faded as it may be, tells me the first period was okay, nothing spectacular, shots on goal nearly even, and no score. In the second, the Canucks amped it up, outshot us badly, and pumped 3 goals past Roli. The Oil tried to come back in the third, but it was too little, too late. However, Ethan Moreau was pissed off enough to take 2 Canuckleheads out of the game with big hits.

So, if history repeats itself, it's a close game, can go either way, and the Oilers take out 2 of the Wild players.

Sounds okay to me.

Old
01-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
I want Hemsky and Gaborik to fight if Gabby's playing.

Love the David Brent picture, been meaning to say that for some time.
I want someone to jump on the wild bench and do some brawling there

Closed Thread