HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I think it's time for a players only meeting

Old
01-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Belso

vCash: 500
I think it's time for a players only meeting

If you ask me, now's the time for Komisarek and Koivu to get together and hold a player's only meeting..

The Habs are at the point in the season which is important. We all know that if they continue to loose, things could get really ugly..

I know it's part of the staff to motivate the players, but it's up to the players first hand to be motivated. If they want to make the play-offs and win the cup, they have to see that within the locker room there are problems and need to re-motivate everyone into believing that they can win the cup and must work like their lives are on the line to win!

So I won't be surprised if I hear that they will have such a meeting soon...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:31 AM
ReVeuF

The thing is ... do they really want the Cup ?

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think the team is trying very hard, but unfortunately everybody seems to be pulling in different directions and trying to do too much instead of sticking to basic hockey and the systems in place.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the team is trying very hard, but unfortunately everybody seems to be pulling in different directions and trying to do too much instead of sticking to basic hockey and the systems in place.
I agree, I don't know if I'm the only one who saw this,but the team played much harder last night. The odd man rushes in the third period was due to the defense pinching in...Gorges,Markov and Komisarek were playing like fowards last night.

They're trying hard, most of them, but the technical part is brutal. And that's since the beginning of the season.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:44 AM
kostitsyn1489

I think Koivu should talk to both alternate captain about it. If all Koivu, Kovalev and Komisarek are on the same page sky is the limit for this team.

And then a meeting would be nice, but it doesnt matter whoever makes the meeting if our 3 big guys doesnt really want to work together it's useless.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
The thing is ... do they really want the Cup ?
I think your asking the wrong question.... the thing is, is this really a cup contending team??

Quote:
I didn't think there was much effort last night from some people (ie, Kovalev), they were severely outplayed last night by the Panthers and left Price out to dry, cannot blame Price for the 5 goals, he had no D (not saying the defense played bad, but the overall defense of the team, ie, no backchecking from forwards)

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-30-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I agree, I don't know if I'm the only one who saw this,but the team played much harder last night. The odd man rushes in the third period was due to the defense pinching in...Gorges,Markov and Komisarek were playing like fowards last night.

They're trying hard, most of them, but the technical part is brutal. And that's since the beginning of the season.
I thought they played the system great with 4-5 guys out, once Koivu Price and Higgins came back all of a sudden they backed off on that and now they are in a rut.

Old
01-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
I didn't think there was much effort last night from some people (ie, Kovalev), they were severely outplayed last night by the Panthers and left Price out to dry, cannot blame Price for the 5 goals, he had no D (not saying the defense played bad, but the overall defense of the team, ie, no backchecking from forwards)
You're confusing effort with excecution. The Panthers excecuted a lot better, we ran around a bit too much trying to do too much individually. We tried as hard as Florida if not harder...at times that led to them getting odd man rushes with our d-men pinching, but it was the thing to do at the time. Vokoun had a great game for them.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
You're confusing effort with excecution. The Panthers excecuted a lot better, we ran around a bit too much trying to do too much individually. We tried as hard as Florida if not harder...at times that led to them getting odd man rushes with our d-men pinching, but it was the thing to do at the time. Vokoun had a great game for them.
Not all players sucked last night, and yes some was lack of execution, but Kovalev straight up mailed it in last night, as did other players. Its easy to pick on Kovalev I will admit, because he is a star and should be one of the better players. However your top performers need to be that every night and just some nights he doesn't give a crap, this was one of those nights.

I thought the D played OKAY, but the forwards were NOT picking up their man and coverage in the defensive zone, thats why Jbow had so many chances, coming back door..thats not the defensemans respsonability, its the forward....who ever is on that side should be on Jbow like glue, but they let the guy sneak in....very badly blown coverage by the wingers

Old
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
They did this earlier in the season and it did no good.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:10 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post

I completely disagree with this. Montreal started the game standing still. Florida dominated the first ten minutes, got two PP's and scored two quick goals. At that point, the Habs started trying to force the play. They got the game close, but couldn't tie it up. Florida did the smart thing and sat back when Montreal went on the attack and counterattacked effectively, leading to a bunch of odd-man rushes and scoring chances.

Aside from a brief stint at the beginning of the second period, the Habs were mostly kept to the outside, outworked on the boards, outskated and outhit. A few guys forcing plays and overcommitting in the second half of the game is more indicative of the lack of effort the team came out of the gates with, than a true dedication to paying the price to win.

This is not my definition of working hard as a team. Trying hard after you spot the other team two goals is not going to lead to many victories. In fact, it will more often lead to games we saw last night, as the other team only has to wait for Montreal to gamble and capitalize on the counter. Florida got an easy two points from the Habs last night. If the Habs continue to give this level of effort, they will be in trouble. The technical aspects don't even factor in when you start a game the way they did last night.

I think that a meeting, or something else definitely has to happen to address the garbage that we've seen in the last five periods from this team.

LyleOdelein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
I think your asking the wrong question.... the thing is, is this really a cup contending team??
Question is Do you want to butcher your team just to desperately win the cup in the 100th year? Would you like that season to turn out to be a disaster? We are not a cup contender i knew that from October. If we can't play well during the season, I can't see us surviving the first two rounds of the playoffs.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Question is Do you want to butcher your team just to desperately win the cup in the 100th year? Would you like that season to turn out to be a disaster? We are not a cup contender i knew that from October. If we can't play well during the season, I can't see us surviving the first two rounds of the playoffs.
Your right...but something you gotta remember... 13 players are not signed for next year....

Some people look as this as a good thing, because you can change your team.... i disagree, with that many players UFA\RFA you know some are going to be gone....how can you have a sense of commradere and teamwork when you know that potentially 1\3 of the guys with you now may not be there next year...

Old
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Judge Sauer*

Meet N Greet with the RDS and La Presse crew maybe?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Effort levels lately are making me understand the 12 Tom Kostopouli Theory

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Iwishihadacup

this team is the result of having an Alex Kovalesque leader

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
If you ask me, now's the time for Komisarek and Koivu to get together and hold a player's only meeting..

The Habs are at the point in the season which is important. We all know that if they continue to loose, things could get really ugly..

I know it's part of the staff to motivate the players, but it's up to the players first hand to be motivated. If they want to make the play-offs and win the cup, they have to see that within the locker room there are problems and need to re-motivate everyone into believing that they can win the cup and must work like their lives are on the line to win!

So I won't be surprised if I hear that they will have such a meeting soon...
Good call. I think at this point it is up to the players to work themselves through this. Big weekend coming up, it's time for the players to put up or shut up.

01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
habs24

Maybe they need a good practice fight like the Canucks had yesterday. I wonder who would win the fight? Would it be possible that both players lose? HA

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Strong and Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
this team is the result of having an Alex Kovalesque leader
To an extent you are right, but when he is the captain the team is much better. This is not a knock on Koivu as I feel he is a great leader; the problem is when the C is on Kovy he seems to look at it as his team and he rises to the occassion. When the C is removed he tends to figure since it's no longer his team that Saku should carry the load and he sulks for a few games. I think that is what has happened here; once Kovy looks in the mirror and realizes he has to play better we'll be fine. This is nothing new with Kovy and if you're going to like him when he's good, you got to accept his faults as well. If he was an up and coming prospect I'd say try to change him, but Kovy is Kovy and that's not going to change. Either way I think we are better with him in the lineup and hopefully he realizes that too.

As for Koivu, he'll be better once he gets some more games under his belt. (This goes for Higgins and soon Tanguay as well) Hopefully this team is done with the injury bug as there is plenty of time for those who've spent significant time on the IR to get back to playing Stanley Cup hockey before the playoffs roll around.

Like the team, us fans need to stick together and believe in our team. They have not looked good lately but are far from a complete write off. Lets just be patient. I was as furstrated as anyone watching last nights game, but I was also very optimistic about our team before the 4 game losing skid. Lets just hope they work out the kinks and pull out a weekend sweep.

Strong and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong and Free View Post
To an extent you are right, but when he is the captain the team is much better. This is not a knock on Koivu as I feel he is a great leader; the problem is when the C is on Kovy he seems to look at it as his team and he rises to the occassion. When the C is removed he tends to figure since it's no longer his team that Saku should carry the load and he sulks for a few games. I think that is what has happened here; once Kovy looks in the mirror and realizes he has to play better we'll be fine. This is nothing new with Kovy and if you're going to like him when he's good, you got to accept his faults as well. If he was an up and coming prospect I'd say try to change him, but Kovy is Kovy and that's not going to change. Either way I think we are better with him in the lineup and hopefully he realizes that too.

As for Koivu, he'll be better once he gets some more games under his belt. (This goes for Higgins and soon Tanguay as well) Hopefully this team is done with the injury bug as there is plenty of time for those who've spent significant time on the IR to get back to playing Stanley Cup hockey before the playoffs roll around.

Like the team, us fans need to stick together and believe in our team. They have not looked good lately but are far from a complete write off. Lets just be patient. I was as furstrated as anyone watching last nights game, but I was also very optimistic about our team before the 4 game losing skid. Lets just hope they work out the kinks and pull out a weekend sweep.
If this is true with Kovalev then it sounds more like a cancer with the sulking issues.

That is simply a player wanting his way or too bad. Koivu gets the C and Kovy gets crying time.

Cancer is what divides dressing rooms real fast.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

you know that the way tou talk about Kovalev would make him be the cancer in this lockerroom right?

Because, If a player cannot play his best whatever the letter that he have on his sweater, this guy is a baby and it is better to ship him off the team.

The Carbo lines are good for tonight, because the less this team will depend from Kovalev, the better this team will play

Old
01-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Strong and Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
If this is true with Kovalev then it sounds more like a cancer with the sulking issues.

That is simply a player wanting his way or too bad. Koivu gets the C and Kovy gets crying time.

Cancer is what divides dressing rooms real fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
you know that the way tou talk about Kovalev would make him be the cancer in this lockerroom right?

Because, If a player cannot play his best whatever the letter that he have on his sweater, this guy is a baby and it is better to ship him off the team.

The Carbo lines are good for tonight, because the less this team will depend from Kovalev, the better this team will play

Maybe he is a cancer, but that's not the way I intended to sound as I don't think he is. I think he is more like the child who's parents take his brothers side on an issue and he goes to his room and pouts about it but after a day or two he realizes he was wrong and things are okay again. I still stand by this team better with Kovy than without even when he has his little tantrums. I think the players know he will be better sooner than later and that's what really matters.

Strong and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Maybe he is a cancer, but that's not the way I intended to sound as I don't think he is. I think he is more like the child who's parents take his brothers side on an issue and he goes to his room and pouts about it but after a day or two he realizes he was wrong and things are okay again. I still stand by this team better with Kovy than without even when he has his little tantrums. I think the players know he will be better sooner than later and that's what really matters.
yeah... he's so much to pity... poor little millionaire who cannot have a Big C on his sweater and who is forced to wear an A

Old
01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Its plain and simple, this team doesn't have balls...bunch of girls!

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Belso

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/268853.html

It's about time they hold a players only meeting!! They should have done so a few weeks ago.. But better now then in two weeks I guess!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote