HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semenov's Recent Play

Old
01-30-2009, 11:05 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

vCash: 500
Semenov's Recent Play

So let me start of by saying that I hate Semenov. I am a bonafide Semenov hater. But his play recently hasn't been that bad. I remember watching the Detroit game the other day and thinking "wow, this has got to be the best game of his career." Since then, Todd has been playing him on the PK, and even keeping him on the ice in the final minute. So the question I ask is, IS THERE HOPE IN ALEXEI SEMENOV?!?! If so, god help us all.

sharksohnoes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
I hope he can keep it up, but considering his play the rest of his career I won't be holding my breath.

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

I think he realized he has seven feet on him.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Mr Scarface*

What strokes my rear end is the fact Semenov really plays with ATTITUDE. He's a very intesive sucka, that blood of his is really boiling over the top and that I like. That helps his game tremendously.

And yeah, he looks like a basketball player, but that decisiveness of his makes him play some very good hockey at times. Yeah... that's the word I'd really use in Semenov's case... decisiveness. He's really determinant. That makes him overcome objects and situations. I like how his mind shows in the game. Not all players show that side. I know many d-men who are big but play that lacking, lazy type of game. Semen shows emotion, he really is exploding on peoples faces.

I think this describes very well Alexei Semenov.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
apple22

Ever since he played forward for a bit, I have noticed much improvement. I don't cringe every time he is on the ice anymore. This is a good thing!

apple22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Semenov = God

Can I get my cookie now?

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:38 AM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
It's great that he has stepped up. The more he plays the better he is getting. Not a great defenseman but he is holding his own and not doing a bad job. With the way he has been playing it has given Danny B a couple of extra days off to rest what ever is bothering him. It also gives Luko soem time to get to 100%.

It's nice to think about how good we have been without these guys (Luko, Danny B, JR, Mitchell) in our line up.

SharkXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
He's really playing well and with confidence. Under Ron Wilson, if Semenov made one mistake, he wouldn't play again for 10+ games sometimes. The new coaching staff has allowed Semenov to take his bumps early in the year and haven't waivered in going to him despite those. They also tried the forward experiment and made it clear that he is a part of this team.

Lately he has been skating really well and is making high percentage plays with the puck. His size and reach are both tremendous assets that he is beginning to assertively deploy on the ice. He played a good game against Colorado and I thought he was even better against Phoenix last night. That hard wrap around play he made in the final minute was a crucial play at a critical moment in the game.

Keep it up Semenov You can't help but pull for him, especially with his positive attitude that he kept during some rough times.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:45 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
He's really playing well and with confidence. Under Ron Wilson, if Semenov made one mistake, he wouldn't play again for 10+ games sometimes. The new coaching staff has allowed Semenov to take his bumps early in the year and haven't waivered in going to him despite those. They also tried the forward experiment and made it clear that he is a part of this team.

Lately he has been skating really well and is making high percentage plays with the puck. His size and reach are both tremendous assets that he is beginning to assertively deploy on the ice. He played a good game against Colorado and I thought he was even better against Phoenix last night. That hard wrap around play he made in the final minute was a crucial play at a critical moment in the game.

Keep it up Semenov You can't help but pull for him, especially with his positive attitude that he kept during some rough times.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:54 AM
netman

I think what we are seeing with Semenov is the clearest case of something that's happening with other members of the team in other ways: the present coaching staff is all about developing talent and teaching skills, while RW was all about critique and clever cutting remarks (remember his disgraceful chuckle about "Marleau has been through the fire, and I lit the fire"?). Few players spring full-developed from the heads of their junior hockey coaches.

Kudos to Semenov, but related kudos to McLellan and colleagues as well!

netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:06 PM
osgoodshlatters

ya ive noticed that he has a lot more condfidence with the puck. when he used to get the puck in the defensive zone he would look to get rid of it right away which would lead to a turnover, but now he holds on to the puck longer and makes the safe and right play.

osgoodshlatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
It seems like every game I think to myself "wow, that musta been Semenovs best game ever!" He's being more physical, he's moving the puck better, he's even broken up a few plays (of the other team!!). I also think this might be a good reflection of our coaching staff, and it makes me even more confident in our team. We've won how many games now without 2 of our original top 6? 4 in a row? That's sweet.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple22 View Post
Ever since he played forward for a bit, I have noticed much improvement. I don't cringe every time he is on the ice anymore. This is a good thing!
Quote:

What they said. Not only has the Todd not crucified him for his mistakes (allowing him to not play like an abused animal), his play at forward seems to have given him more confidence in his skating. Now that he's back on D, that confidence is showing and his game is more well-rounded... in fact, he's showing to have more offensive up-side then Goc--I know that's not saying much, but still.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Christianmichael27

Quote:

I'm pulling for him as well. I think he has a great attitude!!

Christianmichael27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:24 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
Semenov for Norris.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Mr Scarface*

Bounce with it twerk with it bounce with it twerk with it!!!!! Go seme!!! That's that dude!!! Drop it down and pick up lock it up push it in!!!! That last part was improved you heard meeeee!!! That's what Semenov is doing at the club! Take it from the side, put it on the roof! Shake it like a flag and burn it down!!!

Mann... that would even work as a lyric.. I just wrote that in 5 seconds LOL.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
hockeyball

I think Semenov is the best example of how much better this coaching staff is. I think improved play and team moral is the #1 quantifiable effect good coaching can provide. Besides Semenov we've seen absolutely stellar play from Ehrhoff (mostly), Goc, Seto, Marleau, Clowe, Luko, even Joslin compared to previous seasons.

I fully expect to get a big boost in confidence towards our prospects as they are called up and developed by this staff. It will take some time, but I think the improvements will trickle down to Worcester.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:47 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I fully expect to get a big boost in confidence towards our prospects as they are called up and developed by this staff. It will take some time, but I think the improvements will trickle down to Worcester.
As recounted in numerous interviews, Worcester's already playing the same system as San Jose. Also, Worcester's got Kaspar, Staubitz, Cavanagh, McGinn, Armstrong who have all played up with the big boys and probably have brought back some level of confidence to the AHL.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Domm

he has definitely been whipping his head from the ice to the bench (looking to get pulled) a lot less. seems like we're all in agreement about his play- and i'd even agree with the coaching staff remarks. i almost forgot ron wilsons marleau comment. looks like ron got some well deserved justice up in canada

Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:50 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
Until lately, I would wait for the Ref's hand to go up in a 1 goal game late in the third...
Not lately. I agree that his dual roles have helped his confidence.

edit*** 1st post!

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Casey the Sharks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domm View Post
i almost forgot ron wilsons marleau comment.
Which one, last season it almost seemed like he had a comment a game on him.

Casey the Sharks Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:07 PM
DarKarTs

Send a message via AIM to DarKarTs Send a message via MSN to DarKarTs Send a message via Skype™ to DarKarTs
He's playing smart hockey, I noticed he was out for the penalty kill/empty net at the end of the game, he had his forward tied up incase there was a rebound, didn't leave him there to let a tap in.

DarKarTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Kitten Mittons

He did for me... since I am the only fan!

Good job Seme - keep it up!

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:27 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
He is playing better now. I hope that he keeps it up.

That being said, he will still be known as pylon

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Rathje 2.0?

AvengerK is offline   Reply With Quote