HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

What could the Coyotes do to reconnect the team to fans in Winnipeg

Old
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Jake16

vCash: 500
What could the Coyotes do to reconnect the team to fans in Winnipeg

I'm wondering what types of things people think the Coyotes could do to reconnect the team with fans in Winnipeg. More exhibition games in Winnipeg?; honoring more ex-Jets?; have training camp in Winnipeg?; building a display at jobing.com Arena explaining the teams' history and showing memoriabilia?; wearing vintage Jets uniforms for a game (maybe vs. Colorado, who can wear old Nordiques uni's); trying to have our AHL affiliate in Winnipeg instead of San Antonio?; organizing charters from Winnipeg for golf/hockey long weekends?

My sense is that there is a huge amount of potential fans in Manitoba who are: 1. still upset the team left Winnipeg, understandably; but 2. struggling to become a die hard fan of one the Jets former bitter rivals (Canucks, Oilers, Flames); and 3. if done, respectfully, those fans could re-embrace the Coyotes.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:36 AM

Short of moving the team back to Winnipeg, I am not sure if there is much that the franchise could do to gain fans in Manitoba. I question if there is any necessity if catering to the Winnipeg fan as well, as the only benefit for the team would be in terms of merchandise sales. I would assume that the exhibition games in Winnipeg probably sell out, so it's not like there is this untapped market for the franchise in Winnipeg unless you count merchandise.

What business purpose do you propose would benefit the franchise from marketing towards Winnipeg?

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:47 AM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Why would it matter? They should be focused on growing the fan base in Phoenix not re-connecting with Winnipeg fans. However, at the same time you don't want to completely disregard the history of the franchise (which I think they've done a decent job of with Steen, Ducky and Hull's numbers in the building and playing an exhibition game up there). If you could spend 'x' amount of dollars attempting to re-connect with the fans in Winnipeg it would make more sense to me to spend that money locally...

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:48 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

I think the only possible way for this franchise to ingratiate themselves to Winnipeggers is to move the franchise back to Winnipeg. Period.

Personally, I think adding an exhibit at the Job of the franchise's history as the Jets would be incredibly classy and, moreover, important to show new fans where the team came from. I personally think that the Winnipeg years were some of the best this franchise has ever enjoyed. It would be amazing for some new fans to realize that this franchise gave the NHL a star in Teemu Selanne. It would be nice for fans to be able to find out who these "Steen" and "Hawerchuk" guys are that have their names in the ring of honor.

I also think they ought to keep selling Jets jerseys and memorabilia in the gift shop. They're popular sellers and having jerseys with the names of guys in the ring of honor would be a nice touch.

But all of that is basically for current fans. I honestly think that the bridge back to Manitoba has been burned to the ground.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
MP

Unless the Coyotes move their training camp or AHL affiliate to Manitoba--both of which strike me as inadvisable and impractical--there's really no way for the franchise to cater to Jets fans any more than it already does. I loathe the myopic, whining *******s in the media obsessed with moving (or "returning") southern teams to Canada, but I think it's great that the franchise recognizes its roots in Winnipeg. But it's not going to sell tickets in Glendale, and that's the biggest issue it needs to address.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post

What business purpose do you propose would benefit the franchise from marketing towards Winnipeg?
The obvious one is increased revenue for the team through marketing, but aside from that, I posed the question because I think there may be a big gap in Winnipeg for a 'home' team that could be filled by the Yotes, if people up there could get over the alienation issue and its done right. As a former Winnipeger, I don't understand how fans can support the Oliers, Flames, Canucks, Leafs and just drop their allegiance to the Jets/Coyotes - but I haven't lived there since well before the move and now live in Scottsdale where the team is - so I probably lack the perspective of those in Wpg who had to see the team leave.

I always thought things would have been different if the Jets moved to Minnesota as planned in 1995 before the last season. If that had happened, I think the people in Winnipeg would have been more acceptive of the team's move to the neighboring state and embraced it - there probably would have been things like regular weekend bus tours etc. down to Minneapolis to see the team play.

Last edited by Jake16: 01-27-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old
01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

There is a little memorabilia case tucked in a corner of the souvenir shop at the Job. Didn't look closely but they may have some Jets suff in there. We already have 3 Jets numbers retired and banners hanging up at the Arena.

I always felt that if this outdoor game thing took off and became a regular event that the Coyotes could go back and play an outdoor game in the very cold Peg. The Yotes could wear the old Sweaters maybe play Colorado and do the WHA thing....

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I always felt that if this outdoor game thing took off and became a regular event that the Coyotes could go back and play an outdoor game in the very cold Peg. The Yotes could wear the old Sweaters maybe play Colorado and do the WHA thing....
This sounds like a neat idea. I think if you move the location to Quebec, it might actually stand a chance of happening--it's probably the only way we'll see the Coyotes at the Winter Classic, in any case. There are still some Original Six teams that would probably be selected ahead of the CoyoJets and AvaDiques, but I have to say, I like the idea.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
There is a little memorabilia case tucked in a corner of the souvenir shop at the Job. Didn't look closely but they may have some Jets suff in there. We already have 3 Jets numbers retired and banners hanging up at the Arena.
I still think the franchise ought to do more. That memorabilia case in the gift shop holds old game used sticks and jerseys that the store is selling, not actual team history.

The area where they used to have the big model of Westgate would be an awesome spot for a kind of Jets' "shrine" where they could have a wall-sized display of Jets' star photos, a few paragraphs of information, jersey displays, etc.

Quote:
That'd be sweet - Jets vs. Nordiques... talk about a souvenir and marketing bonanza...

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 01:26 PM
LT

As an ex Winnipeger and still a Coyotes/Jets fan I think having the exhibition game, as they have in the past is good enough. I think the diehard fans will come down to Phoenix if they can. I know I would luv to. My parents retired this year and bring their trailer down to Yuma. I was dying to come down there for a game but I am recently separated and it's costing me mucho denaro!

Other than acknowledging the past like they have done, there is little that can be done in my mind. Contrary to popular belief most Winnipegers have nothing against Phoenix or them having a team. I don't want to see it fail in Phoenix. My only hope would be that when one of these failing teams do fail...and they will, that Winnipeg could reclaim their team, the beloved Jets. If it can't be the original team that left then that's ok. For Winnipegers, it's really more about the fact that Winnipeg was treated so poorly when they had a franchise and the direction Bettman has taken the league. Focusing on the US market over the Canadian. It's one thing to concentrate on both and move forward in the best direction with AN EDUCATED direction. Oh I know that the reality of Winnipeg getting a team soon is not realistic. The NHL has priced themselves out of that market for now. I say for now because it's become a corporate game and I personally have disgust for that. I could be wrong but I think that balance of corporate support and the average Joe support is way out of balance compared to other sports.

Sorry if I babbled on. It's hard to not have strong feelings when you see a great sport become a sport for the wealthy.

LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Coyote_Fan

I think a couple of regular season games there couldnt hurt. Maybe let them do the whiteout or something.

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Not sure that there is anything that could realistically increase fan interest and/or fan support in Winnipeg for the Coyotes franchise.

There certainly is a small percentage of Winnipeggers who hate the Coyotes just because. Those will never become fans of the desert dogs - no matter what.

Then there is a larger group of hockey fans, who used to be Jets fans and cut emotional ties with the franchise as soon as it became the Coyotes. These people have picked another team to cheer for and will not be turned into Coyotes fans easily. Simply because they already have another team that they are invested in.

The third group of former Jets fans have stuck with the franchise. They still cheer for the Coyotes and don't need further incentives. They already watch the team every chance they get (on TV) and buy the merchandise like jerseys, caps, etc.
They attend the exhibition games at MTS Centre, wave signs and cheer on 'their' team.

As far as the homage to the Jets is concerned (i.e. honoring Ducky and Steen), I think it was both classy and fitting that the organization paid tribute to the former Jets players. Unfortunately, many of the local fans had probably never heard the names before and had little to no idea what these players meant to the team and the fans in Winnipeg.

I think a display of memorabilia from the Jets at the Job (as suggested above) would be a nice touch and could go a long way in bringing the past of this franchise closer to the AZ hockey fans.

BTW, where is the AVCO cup these days?

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
BTW, where is the AVCO cup these days?
I researched it:

Three AVCO trophies exist; besides the one that is on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame, the others are in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and in the Nova Scotia Sports Hall of Fame in Halifax.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:34 PM
lanky

Hockey is as common of a topic as the weather here in Winnipeg and I have never met another Coyotes fan. People just don't identify with the team anymore, which makes sense because Doan is the only Jet on the team and he wasn't a Jet for very long. Attendance was very good at the two exhibition games I went to but it was the Maple Leaf and Flames fans that came out to support their teams.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:40 AM
JohnnyMapleLeaf

Moving back there would be a start! lol

JohnnyMapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Call themselves the Hamilton Jets in 2 years

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Call themselves the Hamilton Jets in 2 years
Ain't going to happen.

Plus Phoenix is a much prettier city than Hamilton this time of year don't you think?

Old
02-02-2009, 01:03 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Ain't going to happen.

Plus Phoenix is a much prettier city than Hamilton this time of year don't you think?
My folks life 30min from hamilton. You are very correct. Hamilton is pretty much a **** hole. But there's no doubt that they would sell every night there.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
AZCOYOT

I don't think they should reconnect with Winnipeg..

*Hates the Jets* and no, the Coyotes are NOT the Jets. They are the PHOENIX COYOTES

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote