HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Question about HD radio signals

Old
01-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Question about HD radio signals

How far does a signal extend for a HD station? Same as the analog extends? Further? Less?

I am considering XM radio, but at the same time, why go through all that, along with subscription fees, if HD radio can solve my pressing needs?

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:28 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

It's about the same distance in Phoenix. FM HD is where the tech really shines as they can multiplex several stations onto one frequency.

AM HD works but it is far less reliable and after dark is pretty much useless unless you live in the 20 mile radius of the station. Several AM stations here simulcast their AM channel on a FM frequency HD #2 band with a station that shares ownership. This works fine after dark.

My HD receiver has an option to lock onto an analog or digital station to prevent the incessant switching between signals if you are having problems staying connected to the HD. Normally it starts analog then tries to acquire the digital feed and will bounce around if the signal is weak (like AM at night)

I love my HD radio. More channels and no monthly fee. I listen to my MP3 mostly anyway so I really don't want to pay a monthly fee, but I did want more channels at the same time.

I have this one:
http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=149&page=1
Its just as affordable as a normal radio now. 139$ It has a front AUX port as well.

I assume you checked on how many channels are HD in your area?

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
It's about the same distance in Phoenix. FM HD is where the tech really shines as they can multiplex several stations onto one frequency.

AM HD works but it is far less reliable and after dark is pretty much useless unless you live in the 20 mile radius of the station. Several AM stations here simulcast their AM channel on a FM frequency HD #2 band with a station that shares ownership. This works fine after dark.

My HD receiver has an option to lock onto an analog or digital station to prevent the incessant switching between signals if you are having problems staying connected to the HD. Normally it starts analog then tries to acquire the digital feed and will bounce around if the signal is weak (like AM at night)

I love my HD radio. More channels and no monthly fee. I listen to my MP3 mostly anyway so I really don't want to pay a monthly fee, but I did want more channels at the same time.

I have this one:
http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=149&page=1
Its just as affordable as a normal radio now. 139$ It has a front AUX port as well.

I assume you checked on how many channels are HD in your area?
Basically, my big big big issue is being able to listen to CBJ games when I'm on the road. But where I work and even where I currently live, there is no station for the games. Where my fiancee lives, the AM station carries the games (and the AM is simulcast on a FM HD station on it's .3 channel) so I figured if HD had considerable carry, I could try that, and then I'd be fine.

Also, the main flagship station of the CBJ in Columbus just moved stuff to FM and its AM station is also on a HD subchannel on FM, so I have an option there.

But at the same time, some of my favorite stations are either no longer around, changed format, or decreased signal, so that's why I may consider XM. But I figured if HD could help me out, I could save a few bucks a month, too.

I guess I just have to do some investigating, and that's why I made this thread.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

I would think you need Satellite to guarantee your CBJ games.

You can have both at the same time though.

Old
01-30-2009, 10:15 PM
MayDay

HD Radio?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "high definition" refer specifically to having a certain number of pixels on a display?

How can a radio signal be high definition? I can see how it could be digital versus analog, but I don't really understand how a radio signal could be HD.

Confused.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
HD Radio?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "high definition" refer specifically to having a certain number of pixels on a display?

How can a radio signal be high definition? I can see how it could be digital versus analog, but I don't really understand how a radio signal could be HD.

Confused.
You're not confused at all. There's nothing really "HD" about it at all, they just tried to capitalize on the HDTV craze by attaching themselves to the name. All it really is, is Digital Radio.

In many cases, HD Radio actually sounds worse than a good-quality analog FM signal, because they compress the audio with low bit-rates so they can cram the analog and digital signals in their assigned station bandwidth. Supposedly, the FCC mandated that a digital simulcast of an analog station has to be at least the same quality as the analog broadcast, but everything I've heard says this is rarely the case.

Now, that being said, if a station doesn't carry an analog simulcast, and actually uses their entire bandwidth to carry one digital radio channel, the sound quality can be outstanding, and even include surround channels. No one does that, though.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 12:07 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
HD Radio?

Confused.
Arojay basically has it right but left out that it used to mean "hybrid digital" It is a ploy.

Digital AM channels rarely sound better than a good analog signal in my experience. Here, the channelized FM stations sound exactly like they did before, but with more channels. The FM stations that are not channelized here ( there is at least two) sound like my MP3 player but not quite like a CD.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:30 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Well, I think this thread helps settle it. I am going to look into XM radio. I already have XM radio built into my factory stereo in my Hyundai Elantra, so it won't be hard to start up.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.