HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cammalleri to Toronto

Old
01-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
True, but I can see the contract looking similar to the one that Zetterberg got. Something along the lines of a 7 year deal and unload the contract with big bucks the first 4 years, and then less in the next 3 years, 9;9;7;7;4;1;1 ?
I cannot see Sutter offering any contract longer than 6 years... but i could see something being worked out to 30-33 million over 6 years

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I keep hearing this about Cammy from Kings fans but in Calgary it's just not the case... Cammalleri has been playing defense... his turnovers have decreased... and he is winning us a decent amount of faceoffs...

perhaps the problem was not just Cammalleri in Los Angeles?

also wasn't Cammalleri's large asking price prior to arbitration?... people on HF seem to blow a players starting point in negotiations out of proportion... its like they don't understand the art of negotiations... where you start asking for more than you are worth in hopes to find common ground in the area you are worth
100% agree with you, thought that too when he was in LA. Sure he's not a Handzus or Selke caliber defender but the effort is there. Some LA fans talk as if he cherry picked on the blueline non-stop.

I'd like to see him stay in Calgary but $6 Mil or more is too much, and Iím a huge fan of his. But I could see Toronto being stupid enough to offer it to him, and who wouldn't take it...

Hope he has fun in the playoffs and that influences his decision and re-ups with the Flames

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Pure West

Its a possibility, I think Calgary may have a tough time re-signing him unless they look at moving someone else, Vandermeer would sure be a start. The guy is a player in his prime who hasn't had the chance to earn the big bucks yet so I wouldn't count on a big time discount to sign with the Flames. They might not be able to afford another big, long term contract since they will have some other holes to fill in the offseason.

Cammalleri in Toronto I could certainly see as a possibility. They would certainly have the cap space, and he'd certainly be the go to guy there. I don't know how much of an effect being the "hometown" guy would have, as that seems to be a myth among fans of every team but I don't think it would be a bad signing for the Leafs to give him say a 5 year 25-30 million dollar deal.

Pure West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:46 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I keep hearing this about Cammy from Kings fans but in Calgary it's just not the case... Cammalleri has been playing defense... his turnovers have decreased... and he is winning us a decent amount of faceoffs...

perhaps the problem was not just Cammalleri in Los Angeles?

also wasn't Cammalleri's large asking price prior to arbitration?... people on HF seem to blow a players starting point in negotiations out of proportion... its like they don't understand the art of negotiations... where you start asking for more than you are worth in hopes to find common ground in the area you are worth
Haven't been able to catch up on too many Calgary games, but it's fantastic that he's working out better for you guys. You may be right, it might be something else that made his weaknesses more glaring in LA, perhaps even just not fitting in well with the system. But he was definatley a turnover monster for the kings and I got tired of all the fans giving him freebees just because he was scoring. Of course, as with every player, it takes a trade for fans to finally acknowledge a player's weakness

But in regards to the trade, when accounting for Cammalleri's value, I think people fail to recognize how low his value is among the NHL. No GM wanted him becuase he has already got the reputation for being difficult to negotiate with. So it stinks for us that when we unloaded him, we got so little for him. I still hold it should have been better for Lombardi to hold him until the buyers came out at the trade deadline. I think we would have gotten much more value. But I think Lombardi was eyeing Teubert specifically, so sometimes you got to get the player you want, no matter what hte price.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

First thing Burke said was his priority to add in the Toronto Maple Leafs line-up? S I Z E.

Next.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote