HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough with the Dagenais bashing!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
jim dowd of the montreal canadains would like to announce the trading of perrie daganais to the dallas stars in return for richard mativichuk..thank you and see you later dags..lol....

Old
03-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Habnot

Comparing Dags to Andrychuck is ludicrous. Andy has turned himself into a defensive centreman playing a shutdown role with a very explosive team. Takes big face-offs and is a real leader.

Dags can't skate, shoots uselessly, has been a bad dressing room influence whereever he has gone, goes AWOL during most games. Yes, he has a nose for the net and a good shot, but I'm not sure there is room for him on the top two lines once Kovalev takes his spot.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

He has limitations and they can be exposed. Witness his numerous problems receiving outlet passes which were tape to tape tonight against Anaheim. But those mistakes are magnified while Koivu (and most every forward for Montreal) had equally difficult times receiving outlet passes. In fact, Koivu coughed up the puck more in the neutral zone off outlet passes than Dagenais tonight. Yet we're here discussing Dagenais' problems.

I think its no secret that Koivu is our turnover king amongst forwardsand I'm pretty sure the next in line is Ribeiro but thats completly understandable. They are centers, they pass a lot, they control the puck a lot, Koivu especially gets into traffic with the puck. Heck, we all know the guy with the most turnovers was Gretzky.
Dagenais has way more problems tahen just coughing up the puck. He suffers from a syndrome I call: Having not an ounce of talent outside of his shot.Right not, I'm relatively satisfied with him, but in the same way as Perreault, we don't have anyone to replace them. BUt as soon as we do, I hope their kind are gone forever.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:13 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Even if the guy scores, did you ever take a look at his defensive play?

Each time he's on the ice in his defensive zone, it looks like we're on PK. We don't need that kind of guy with the Habs. We need players that work their *** off each game.

I just hate Dags...

Old
03-09-2004, 10:20 AM
IcE ColD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Okay, it may look like it, but does it happen alot? when he's on the ice does the opponet score? Not really, because his plus/minus will indicate that it doesnt happen.

Maybe you're right... but I still hate his gameplay...

Perreault - Koivu - Zednik
Kovalev - Ribeiro - Ryder

Sounds better to me than to have Dags in the lineup

Old
03-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Okay, it may look like it, but does it happen alot? when he's on the ice does the opponet score? Not really, because his plus/minus will indicate that it doesnt happen.
Or maybe, Julien is this eras Scottie Bowman and he knows what the best matchups are . Trying to defend Dagenais's defensive game is crazy! The guy did help us in the clutch but hes nothing more then a filler.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:23 AM
IcE ColD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Or maybe, Julien is this eras Scottie Bowman and he knows what the best matchups are . Trying to defend Dagenais's defensive game is crazy! The guy did help us in the clutch but hes nothing more then a filler.
It's easy to see that BG is just buying time with Dags... Probably that next year, everybody will have forget him

Old
03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD
It's easy to see that BG is just buying time with Dags... Probably that next year, everybody will have forget him
Probably , also, I didnt notice you were new, so let me welcome you to the boards!

Old
03-09-2004, 10:47 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Even if the guy scores, did you ever take a look at his defensive play?

Each time he's on the ice in his defensive zone, it looks like we're on PK. We don't need that kind of guy with the Habs. We need players that work their *** off each game.

I just hate Dags...
If he would be THAT bad defensively, I don't think he would be one of our leaders in +/-. I know he's not perfect but he's doing a good job. This is getting stupid. And I'm not even a fan of Dagenais btw!!

When will people stop whining about everything!!??

Old
03-09-2004, 11:24 AM
rib71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
If he would be THAT bad defensively, I don't think he would be one of our leaders in +/-. I know he's not perfect but he's doing a good job. This is getting stupid. And I'm not even a fan of Dagenais btw!!

When will people stop whining about everything!!??

he just looks bad when he gets beat!!! and he cant catch anyone!!! but for some reason he has a good +-!!!
i cant explain it either

Old
03-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Marksman

Dagenais is too much one trick pony. He needs to develop something else he can do quickly. Of our other offensive players, Koivu has heart and leadership, Ribeiro is the great PP playmaker, Perreault is leagues top faceoff man, Zednik is feisty and quick skater, Bulis is good defensively and Ryder is jack of all trades. What does Dagenais have besides his shot? If he could add 10-15 lbs into his lanky frame and start playing with mean streak into his game he could become the best thing since sliced bread.

Old
03-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib71
he just looks bad when he gets beat!!! and he cant catch anyone!!! but for some reason he has a good +-!!!
i cant explain it either
I can explain it. Just watch the games and you will be able to explain it, too. Dagenais is taking it seriously when he's in our zone, he doesn't float at the blue line waiting for a pass, he tries to help his defensemans. Even though he doesn't get the puck himself, he helps his defensemans to take possession of it by putting his body between the puck and the opponent. He plays the system, he's responsible defensively, even if he's not the fastest backchecker.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Adriatic

God I hated when people try to prove a point by mentioning the +/- stats. Those stats are useless. If you wanna know if a player is good defensively, just watch him play and analyze what he does on the ice and come up with your conclusions. The +/- stats are so freakin' overrated. If your team is 10 or 15 games above 500, chances are all your players will be in the +, but that doesn't mean all the players are good defensively. Same thing when your team is 15 games under 500, chances are all your players will be in the minus, but that doesn't mean all your players are bad defensively. This stat depends too much on how the team is performing to accurately describe a player's defensive play. Hell...if Scott stevens were in the Penguins lineup this year, he would probably be a -15, but that still doesn't mean he's a bad defensive player. So who cares if Dagenais is in the +, he's still a horrible defensive player.

Old
03-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitual_hab
Such as?
Such as the team lacking a whole lot of character when Souray is out.
-Lack of a physical top four defenseman other than Souray.
-Lack of a real checking line; bolstering two fourth lines instead (depending on how Bulis/Sundstrom are used when they're back). -Lack of a physical presence among their top three centers (Begin is more of a fourth line center).
-Huge contracts tying up the team (Brisebois, Rivet, to a lesser extent: Perreault, Juneau)

Quote:
I think its no secret that Koivu is our turnover king amongst forwardsand I'm pretty sure the next in line is Ribeiro but thats completly understandable. They are centers, they pass a lot, they control the puck a lot, Koivu especially gets into traffic with the puck. Heck, we all know the guy with the most turnovers was Gretzky.
Dagenais has way more problems tahen just coughing up the puck. He suffers from a syndrome I call: Having not an ounce of talent outside of his shot.Right not, I'm relatively satisfied with him, but in the same way as Perreault, we don't have anyone to replace them. BUt as soon as we do, I hope their kind are gone forever.
It's not even about Koivu turning the puck over a lot. I don't think he turns it over all that much more than most Hab forwards. Ryder, Bulis, Juneau, Ribeiro, Zednik are all very prone to neutral zone turnovers. Sundstrom is about the only forward that doesn't turn the puck over and is relatively safe in the neutral zone.

I don't buy that Dagenais is similar to Perreault. Nor do I buy the sentiment that he lacks any talent other than a shot, for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Quote:
Maybe you're right... but I still hate his gameplay...

Perreault - Koivu - Zednik
Kovalev - Ribeiro - Ryder

Sounds better to me than to have Dags in the lineup
This is a little more than strange. Perreault is abysmal defensively; far worse than Dagenais, yet you would prefer to see him in the top six. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
What does Dagenais have besides his shot?
A big body presence who will go to the slot, has a long reach and uses it well, and can be good positionally. Has learned to play within the system and is one of Montreal's better wingers in battling defenseman at the point to get the puck out of the zone.

He's not a one trick pony by any means; much less so than Perreault.

Old
03-09-2004, 04:50 PM
mcphee

My problem with Dagenais is when he doesn't move his feet in the neutral zone and tries to hook his man rather than pursuit. Perreault does the same thing. Don't consider goal scoring a minor part of the game though. I agree Mike8, he's pretty much a one trick pony, but if the one trick is putting the puck in the net, I'll take it until we get someone better.

Old
03-09-2004, 05:01 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Probably , also, I didnt notice you were new, so let me welcome you to the boards!
i like him already
dags is a one dimensional filler with no intensity or physicality in his game, hes a leach and a liability everywhere on the ice(unless somebody does all the work and and finds him afloat around the net).
BTW any hab that doesnt penalty kill has a good +/- in our team, besides playing with markov sloted with his lines corp helps the +/- as well.

this guy is not a playoff guy im sure BG and CJ must see this.

Old
03-09-2004, 05:11 PM
jcpenny

I just hope that none of Perrault or Dagenais will be on the top two lines for the playoffs...

Old
03-09-2004, 05:12 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
A big body presence who will go to the slot, has a long reach and uses it well, and can be good positionally. Has learned to play within the system and is one of Montreal's better wingers in battling defenseman at the point to get the puck out of the zone.

He's not a one trick pony by any means; much less so than Perreault.
learned to play the system? one of our better wingers in battling defencemen at the point to get the puck out of the zone?
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!
were talking about dagenias! man this guy is awfull in our zone, he's awfull in all the zones, he has a good shot, thats it, thats the only thing he has! learn to say it with me HE ONLY HAS A GOOD SHOT!
he doesnt contribute anything else, players like him are a plague for there lines(anyone else notice ribs game decline ? im sure we all notice ryder's game soften? you know when it started to get this way? WHEN DAGS WENT IN THERE LINE. he's a horrid influence to his line mates.

while our defence is covering his A$$ becuase of his horrid mobility and horrid puck movement he's off in lalaland trying to do crossovers(dont laugh it's tough for him)
his crappy play ads a very crappy element to this team.

Old
03-09-2004, 05:14 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
I just hope that none of Perrault or Dagenais will be on the top two lines for the playoffs...
i know what you mean.
i hate yanic alote but i still perfer him over dags, theres no way aplayer like dags should be involved with this team, if he waz finnish the french media would want CJ's head for playing him as much as he does. and you all know thats the truth

Old
03-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
learned to play the system? one of our better wingers in battling defencemen at the point to get the puck out of the zone?
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!
were talking about dagenias! man this guy is awfull in our zone, he's awfull in all the zones, he has a good shot, thats it, thats the only thing he has! learn to say it with me HE ONLY HAS A GOOD SHOT!
he doesnt contribute anything else, players like him are a plague for there lines(anyone else notice ribs game decline ? im sure we all notice ryder's game soften? you know when it started to get this way? WHEN DAGS WENT IN THERE LINE. he's a horrid influence to his line mates.

while our defence is covering his A$$ becuase of his horrid mobility and horrid puck movement he's off in lalaland trying to do crossovers(dont laugh it's tough for him)
his crappy play ads a very crappy element to this team.
Couldn't disagree more with you, and read my post 5 posts above you for explanations

Old
03-09-2004, 06:00 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Couldn't disagree more with you, and read my post 5 posts above you for explanations
i read but i wasnt on acid when watching our games so i have to disagree with you.
he a huge defencive zone turnover culprit. i dont think anybody who watches dags play can seriously agree with you.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:04 PM
habitue*

Dagenais is like Gilbert Dionne 10 years ago: an AHL player that will be good for about another 80-100 NHL games, no more. Very uni dimensional player.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:18 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
Martin St. Louis was also a waiver pick-up.

Now, Dags won't turn into that... but is a legit 25+ goal scorer each year.
25+ goal scorer? Not with the Habs, I would be very surprisd if he is a Hab next season...strictly a filler for now until Higgins, Hossa and others come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
yup...soucre from TSN.ca

Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Montreal Canadiens to a one-year contract (+ club option for 2004-05).
I think any money that is on a Dagenais contract is better directed to a new contract for Ryder, Souray and Riberio...not to mention Kovalev.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Les Zarbites

Dagenais' days with the habs are numbered. He could be out as soon as next game when Kovalev returns. If not then it's most probable that he'll be out for saturday's game against the leafs when Bulis returns. Ribs and Ryder are much better off with someone who can make things happen on the ice.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
Dagenais' days with the habs are numbered. He could be out as soon as next game when Kovalev returns. If not then it's most probable that he'll be out for saturday's game against the leafs when Bulis returns. Ribs and Ryder are much better off with someone who can make things happen on the ice.
word habsolution

is bulis touted to be back saturdaY?

Closed Thread