HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Anybody Else Not Really Mind The Devils?

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2009, 12:16 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Honestly, though I despise the Devils, at this point I think I hate Pittsburgh more.

The Devils have built solid teams for the last 15 years based on good drafting and smart free agent signings. That has to command some respect.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:27 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
I hate the Rangers a lot. So I don't mind the return hate.

But I also respect them. Sure we make fun of their long history and lack of Cup success when in comparison to other teams. But that's just it: They have a long history. Not to mention they have made massive improvements since the lockout.

So keep on the hate!

Old
01-31-2009, 12:32 PM
ANTC

if you ever been to a Ranger devil game in jeresy and you still don't hate the devils your not a ranger fan. i was at the game dec 12, ill never ever forget that game.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:59 PM
devsjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervedriver82 View Post
Uh, watched your fanboy Chico call TWO Bruins goals "flukey" two games ago, completely ignoring the fact that the Bruins were completely outplaying and outhustling the Devs when those goals happened. He will not say a single bad thing about a Devil if you held his head to a lit blowtorch.

If that isn't the definition of homer, I don't know what is.

Doc is the least homerish of the Devils TV crew.

Oh, btw Thomas was likely referring to that homer Steve Cangialosi, not Doc. Steve is the poor man's version of Al Trautwig on the Rangers side (who is undoubtedly a Rangers homer)
If Chico is a homer, what do you call Joe M?????

I think its' OK for announcers to have some homerism in them. After all, they are following the teams day-in and day-out, it's hard not to root for them.

But Joe M. redefines it. Total homer.

Old
01-31-2009, 01:07 PM
DrewN

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsjetsfan View Post

I think its' OK for announcers to have some homerism in them. After all, they are following the teams day-in and day-out, it's hard not to root for them.

The difference - Joe WILL let a Ranger have it when he's underperforming (I've heard him say more than once than a Ranger is performing "horribly").

On the other hand Chico will squirm around and make excuses for a Devil if he's underperforming ("Umm he's having a bit of a bad streak now but he'll come back better than ever, you just wait and see!").

It's one thing to be a fan of the team you're announcing for, but Chico takes it to a whole new level. I won't mention the most obvious example.

Old
01-31-2009, 01:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:

Joe is weird. Sometimes he tears the Rangers up, other times he is in love with them. There isn't really much in between.

But the man is certainly not as much of a homer as Chico is. I wouldn't think a Devils fan would possibly try to argue otherwise.

Old
01-31-2009, 01:10 PM
devsjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Joe is weird. Sometimes he tears the Rangers up, other times he is in love with them. There isn't really much in between.

But the man is certainly not as much of a homer as Chico is. I wouldn't think a Devils fan would possibly try to argue otherwise.
Yes, I would argue it. I argue about things that I don't beleive are true.

I watch a lot of Devils and Rangers games (I am a hockey fan almost as much as a Devils fan), and truly think that Chico is a great partner.

Old
01-31-2009, 01:14 PM
devsjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervedriver82 View Post
The difference - Joe WILL let a Ranger have it when he's underperforming (I've heard him say more than once than a Ranger is performing "horribly").

On the other hand Chico will squirm around and make excuses for a Devil if he's underperforming ("Umm he's having a bit of a bad streak now but he'll come back better than ever, you just wait and see!").

It's one thing to be a fan of the team you're announcing for, but Chico takes it to a whole new level. I won't mention the most obvious example.
It's not worth it to argue anymore about joe M. vs. Chico. i don;t care about either enough.

I do think the Devils Rangers rivalry is great for the area and for the sport. I've been to both arenas for Ranger Devil games, and it's a great atmosphere. The discussions at work are also exciting.

Old
01-31-2009, 01:20 PM
DrewN

OK, back to topic - I've been to a Rangers/Flyers game at Wachovia and it was probably my worst experience seeing a live hockey game ever, being a Rangers fan. A NYR/NJD game at the Rock doesn't even come close in terms of passion level/rudeness/big mouth/small brain factor.

Old
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
HellOnIce

Quote:
Yes, I would argue it. I argue about things that I don't beleive are true.

I watch a lot of Devils and Rangers games (I am a hockey fan almost as much as a Devils fan), and truly think that Chico is a great partner.
Of course Chico is a homer most of the time. But I'm ok with that, he's working locally. I will say though he's not as bad as some of the other guys in NHL (see Philly announcers...you'd think they'd never committed a penalty...ever.)

Old
01-31-2009, 01:54 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I actually don't mind the Debbies too much. The main Rivalry is always Rangers-Isles.

Debbies fans have a right to loathe the rangers.

1) The have been a more successful franchise yet the Metro area doesn't really acknowledge them. I wouls say in terms of exposure they are second to the bottom ahead of the Isles. That's not a good sign when you get 100 points every season

2) The Devils fans have seen their home-grown star players go to other teams because their organization is too cheap to keep them while the rangers play gazillins of dollars for marginal and aging free agents

3) 4-1 all-time in the playoffs, including two absolutely emotionally crushing playoff defeats (1992 and 1994).

I don't mind the Debbies at all. I rooted for them the other night.

I would say as far as loathsome hate it goes:

1) Islanders
2) Pens
3) Flyers
4) Debbies
5) Canadiens
6) Caps

Old
01-31-2009, 01:54 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I Hate the Devils with a capital H.

As far as my most hated teams:

1) Devils
2) Canadians
3) Islanders
4) Flyers
5) Maple Leafs

Old
01-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Captain Monglobster

I hate the Devils because they are good.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:04 PM
devsjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by APStyleGuide99 View Post
I actually don't mind the Debbies too much. The main Rivalry is always Rangers-Isles.

Debbies fans have a right to loathe the rangers.

1) The have been a more successful franchise yet the Metro area doesn't really acknowledge them. I wouls say in terms of exposure they are second to the bottom ahead of the Isles. That's not a good sign when you get 100 points every season

2) The Devils fans have seen their home-grown star players go to other teams because their organization is too cheap to keep them while the rangers play gazillins of dollars for marginal and aging free agents

3) 4-1 all-time in the playoffs, including two absolutely emotionally crushing playoff defeats (1992 and 1994).

I don't mind the Debbies at all. I rooted for them the other night.

I would say as far as loathsome hate it goes:

1) Islanders
2) Pens
3) Flyers
4) Debbies
5) Canadiens
6) Caps
The metro area barely acknowledges hockey at all. In order of importance:

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Basketball
4. College BB
5. Hockey

There may be other things ahead as well, just off the top of my head.

NJ does acknowledge the Devils pretty well, especially the Ledger and Bergen Record. I'm not too worried about that.

There's a big difference in saying our organization is cheap vs. smart. We have arguably the best GM in the league. I would think Rangers fans would know something about being cheap vs. smart (Holik, Gomez to name a couple).

Old
01-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I don't hate the Rangers. Well, I do in a rivalry sense, but I don't despise the franchise and all the fans. I was actually pretty happy that the Rangers became competitive again, because the rivalry had simply gotten boring. The games are a lot more fun now that there's a sense of competition.

And... yes, Pittsburgh has started to royally annoy me.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:15 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
There are more Rangers fans in Jersey than there are Devils fans.
That's just an ignorant statement. And if you really are born and raised in and living in New Jersey, you know it's beyond ridiculous.

Quote:
If this wasn't the case, you'd be filling your arena up more often than you do now.
Please tell me you're not one of the 25% of Rangers fans that actually believes they really do sell out every game and that "Dolan Magic" doesnt exist?

Old
01-31-2009, 02:25 PM
devsjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
That's just an ignorant statement. And if you really are born and raised in and living in New Jersey, you know it's beyond ridiculous.

Please tell me you're not one of the 25% of Rangers fans that actually believes they really do sell out every game and that "Dolan Magic" doesnt exist?
I've come to the conclusion that there are only a few Rangers fans that try to make this point because true Rangers fans know a lot more about hockey than this guy. Even the Rangers fans that I work with don't believe this.

Becasue the Devils have been good for so long, this is just an attempt to rationalize something the the Rangers have been better than the Devils at in recent years.

Jonathan - You have a good team this year. Try to make an argument that actually means something.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

why does THIS happen EVERYTIME the devils are mentioned on this board?

the same posters from both fanbases have the same argument once a week...who cares who has more fans? who cares if either team cooks the attendence numbers? does it make you guys feel better to get in these dick swinging matches?

Old
01-31-2009, 02:32 PM
devsjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
why does THIS happen EVERYTIME the devils are mentioned on this board?

the same posters from both fanbases have the same argument once a week...who cares who has more fans? who cares if either team cooks the attendence numbers? does it make you guys feel better to get in these dick swinging matches?
I do feel better for like half a second. Good point.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:38 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
I think it's because for some Rangers fans, it's a way to marginalize the Devils to point out one team's attendence is stated at 100% and one team's attendence is stated at 85%. I do agree that it's lame and I would rather debate hockey than ticketing.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
DevilsFanPassingBy

It's just a game.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I think it's because for some Rangers fans, it's a way to marginalize the Devils to point out one team's attendence is stated at 100% and one team's attendence is stated at 85%. I do agree that it's lame and I would rather debate hockey than ticketing.
who cares? honestly who cares? let them marginlize your fanbase this isn't life or death...what does it say about them that they have to go that angle to trash your team...laugh it off...point to your stanley cups and laugh it off.....at what point does arguing this nonsense become boring?

Old
01-31-2009, 02:48 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
who cares? honestly who cares? let them marginlize your fanbase this isn't life or death...what does it say about them that they have to go that angle to trash your team...laugh it off...point to your stanley cups and laugh it off.....at what point does arguing this nonsense become boring?
When Devils fans stop whining about Henrik's pads, Rangers fans will stop mocking them for having a less than stellar following.

EDIT: Ok, that's a lie. Instead, when Devils fans prevent the Rangers fans from invading their home arena, THEN we'll stop mocking them for having a less than stellar following.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
When Devils fans stop whining about Henrik's pads, Rangers fans will stop mocking them for having a less than stellar following.
aaaah....so devils fans asking a legit on ice question about lundqvist equipment means we should bash them for there attendence? you realize your bashiing people that post on a message board? I'm guessing if these devils fans are local and have the means they aren't part of any lack of attendence you feel the need to point out...right?

how bout we keep it to stuff that matters and not ********?

Old
01-31-2009, 02:56 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
aaaah....so devils fans asking a legit on ice question about lundqvist equipment means we should bash them for there attendence? you realize your bashiing people that post on a message board? I'm guessing if these devils fans are local and have the means they aren't part of any lack of attendence you feel the need to point out...right?

how bout we keep it to stuff that matters and not ********?
Actually, I think that fans are always going to find things to complain about when it comes to the other team. And does "asking a legit on ice question about lundqvist's equipment" include invading every thread with StayPuft Marshmallow Man references?

Funny how you point out that we're posting on a message board and then insist that we stick to stuff that matters. So when does the discussion about AIDS in Africa begin?

Closed Thread