HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why/What Is Being Done About MSG in Albany/Utica?

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2009, 12:29 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Why/What Is Being Done About MSG in Albany/Utica?

This is really mind boggling that the NHL and MSG consider Albany and Utica to be Sabres territory over the Rangers.

Whose call was it to designate it this way and can anything be done to rectify the problem?

Come on...Albany is twice as far to small market Buffalo...does Bettman hate the Rangers this big?

Old
01-31-2009, 12:41 AM
McMonster

What does Bettman have to do with anything?

Old
01-31-2009, 04:43 AM
AWald

The only person I know from Albany is a Sabres fan

Old
01-31-2009, 07:07 AM
alkurtz

My son lives in the Albany area and he is a big time Rangers fan. He is unbelievably frustrated by the sheer stupidity of the area being designated as essentially a colony of Buffalo.

Old
01-31-2009, 07:36 AM
FrolundasFinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWald View Post
The only person I know from Albany is a Sabres fan
Well, now you can at least say that you know of someone in Albany who is a Rangers fan.

Back to the topic now. It sucks big time but with the P2P sites, I still get to see most, if not all of the games. The fact of the matter is though, is that Albany is a huge commuter town, the population up here more than doubles when all the sudents come to go to their respective schools (like me). Not to mention that the state legislature and government, which essentially makes sure the city is consistently employed, obviously comes from all over the state.

It is really obnoxious, but they aren't going to change it anytime soon. It is even worse if you are in Utica though, since they are closer to Buffalo than to NYC.

Old
01-31-2009, 10:31 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante 71 View Post
What does Bettman have to do with anything?
Seriously, some of these ridiculous attempts to vilify Bettman are just dumb.

Most likely, the coverage map was one of the concessions MSG had to make in order to acquire the rights to broadcast the Sabres. I wouldn't expect it to change until that contract is up.

Old
01-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Smashley

If you get MSGHD you're pretty much covered up here if the sabres take up regular MSG one night. May not have 3-4 games a season tops not on tv at all, but then you can just watch feeds at that point. I did get irratated with this a few seasons back and got Center Ice, but the $150 bucks or so just to catch those few games on my tv vs the computer wasn't really worth it. You go to a bar or learn to deal otherwise.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
yankeefan2

i thought i was the only one that was bothered by this. i go to school in oneonta and anytime the sabres and rangers are playing on the same night i get the sabres feed. i've missed quite a few rangers games cuz they show buffalo instead. it pisses me off every time. we are not even close to buffalo

Old
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
The Blind Squirrel

I go to UAlbany and it's pretty brutal to go to watch the Rangers only to find out that the Sabres are on. I swear if I hear "Population Pominville" again...

Old
01-31-2009, 09:55 PM
eco's bones

It's not any different where I live and of people I know there's more if not a lot more Ranger fans.

Not being a business person I don't get this concession rights business at all. Why would the Rangers want to broadcast the Sabres in the first place? It's confusing in another sense as well as the Sabres used to have their own channel before their crooked billionaire owner Rigas found himself in a federal pen. It seems to me that part of the fallout of Rigas's economic collapse was the collapse as well of the Empire broadcasting channel which used to do the Sabres games. It seems to me that when you want to broadcast your games and you've no longer a forum to do it in then when you go to someone else you're going with your hat in your hand--no condintions at all. Of course then again as I've already said I'm not a business person...

FWIW it might not be great but it's okay I can watch practically any game live on adnet anyway.

Old
02-01-2009, 12:57 PM
mucker*

The Rangers should have the Albany-Utica territory.
Buffalo is not upstate New York...it's western New York and their influence does not begin until Rochester.

Those of you in Albany-Utica...how many Ranger games do you get a year?

I suggest you pettition MSG and the NHL/Bettmen...and the reason Bettman is at fault is because the NHL decides territory.

The Rangers should have priority as the main market in that vicinity.

Old
02-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by blades212 View Post
The Rangers should have the Albany-Utica territory.
Buffalo is not upstate New York...it's western New York and their influence does not begin until Rochester.

Those of you in Albany-Utica...how many Ranger games do you get a year?

I suggest you pettition MSG and the NHL/Bettmen...and the reason Bettman is at fault is because the NHL decides territory.

The Rangers should have priority as the main market in that vicinity.
Depends if you have MSGHD or not... if you do about 77-78.

Old
02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
KingLundqvistXXX
Confetti & Balloons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Depends if you have MSGHD or not... if you do about 77-78.
I'm in Buffalo and I get MSGHD, it's a wonderful thing unless the Knicks take priority over the Rangers. Not a fan of the NBA at all. Well I used to be when it was decent a good 12-15+ years ago.

I was worried that the Rangers games would be blacked out in my area since I'm in Buffalo. But MSGHD = savior!

Old
02-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Utica Ranger*

Ive been informed I can post the link.

Heres the map showing Utica is closer to NYC, by about 20 miles.

Old
02-02-2009, 05:05 AM
SML

I have been fighting this fight since the EMPIRE network went under and the Sabres started being shown on MSG. I have officially surrendered. Buy center ice, that's all I can tell you. Save your allowance, collect cans, get a job or give up that morning coffee at D&D. Do whatever you have to, then you don't have to worry about it. The time warner guy told me they only have rights to show 50 rangers games a year in our market. That's 32 games you may not see. If spending 5 bucks a game to watch the Rangers in an era where a ten dollar bill wqon't even get you into the movies, then I have news for you: You really aren't that big a fan. I know they show alot of the "blackout" games on HD. The problem is the info guide will not tell you when they are balcking out, so you get your snacks and your beer and get all ready for game time, and then you get "best damn sports greatest morons". This is worth not having to do that.

Old
02-02-2009, 08:44 AM
strumwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
If spending 5 bucks a game to watch the Rangers in an era where a ten dollar bill wqon't even get you into the movies, then I have news for you: You really aren't that big a fan.
I wouldn't go that far and plus that is not the point. If you are already paying to get MSG for the Rangers games why should you have to pay more.

I have made it a habit to check msg.com to see which games are broadcasted and which games are not. This way I do not get home to find that the game is not on. What makes it more frustrating is the cable guide will say that they are broadcasting the Rangers game when they are not.

I think the reason for the blackouts is population. Since most of the population is in southern New York, "Upstate" falls into the Buffalo viewing area as to keep the viewing populations even. I personally think this is a terrible idea as I no more Rangers fans in Albany than I know Buffalo fans. In fact most of the people I know that are not Rangers fans are not even Buffalo fans.

Old
02-12-2009, 10:47 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLundqvistXXX View Post
I'm in Buffalo and I get MSGHD, it's a wonderful thing unless the Knicks take priority over the Rangers. Not a fan of the NBA at all. Well I used to be when it was decent a good 12-15+ years ago.

I was worried that the Rangers games would be blacked out in my area since I'm in Buffalo. But MSGHD = savior!
So lemme get this straight...if you live in Albany you don't get all the Ranger games...or Utica.

But if you live in Buffalo....you get how many Ranger games?

That makes no sense.
The Rangers should have exlusivity in Albany, they should have all games aired in Utica, and Buffalo should have exclusivity in Buffalo.

This is insane.

Old
02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
pavvento

I'm not from upstate, but I'm interested. Those of you saying it's ok if you have MSG HD, does that mean the Sabres games aren't broAdcasted in HD?

Old
02-12-2009, 11:37 PM
zaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan2 View Post
i thought i was the only one that was bothered by this. i go to school in oneonta and anytime the sabres and rangers are playing on the same night i get the sabres feed. i've missed quite a few rangers games cuz they show buffalo instead. it pisses me off every time. we are not even close to buffalo
had the very same situation for 4 years in binghamton

Closed Thread