HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Anybody Else Not Really Mind The Devils?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Does Anybody Else Not Really Mind The Devils?

I got to say am I the only Ranger fan who, while not a fan of the Devils, really doesn't mind too much?

To me, the Rangers biggest rival will always be the Islanders.
Nothing can replace all the playoff series, the 1940 taunts, the 4 cups in a row, the heartbreak, and the playoff series.
Further, as bad as the Islanders are now, and their attendance, unlike the Devils, when they win, you hear it and it can be quite obnoxious.

The Flyers I view as the number two rival for a couple of reasons.
First, they have given the Rangers, like the Islanders, more heartbreake than the Devils in the playoffs.
They also have a real nasty style of play, goonish.
Even bigger though is that they come from PHILADELPHIA.
I can not stand that city or it's fanbase.
I see the Flyers in spite of them not winning a cup in years, being a bigger scare in terms of the team and the fanbase because they are so passionately vulgar.
Again, when the Devils have won, it's been like the proverbal tree falling in a forest.
Nobody hears it.
When the Flyers have a contending team, you hear it and it's quite obnoxious.

After that for me comes the Bruins.
First, you have the original six matchup.
I simply can not stand so many players from that team, Sanderson/Neely/Bourque/Milbury/Middleton/Kluzak and their AWFUL broadcaster of Edward and Brickly.
Not to mention they play in Boston...and are an incredibly overrated and obnoxious fanbase.
At least with the Devils, again you call a spade a spade.
They don't draw, their bandwagon, and nobody says otherwise.
The Bruins are such spoiled fans.
They didn't support their team for the last decade, they whined it was because it worst their team in decades...yet they won TWO division titles (we have none since 1994) and they didn't miss the playoffs seven straight years.

We drew 18,000 during seven years of no playoffs, Boston couldn't sell out playoff games in 2003 and didn't support division title teams in 2002 or 2004.
Having lived in the area, they got NO buzz, no mention, and I spotted more Yankee fans in Boston than Bruins fans on any given week.

Yet...they have the best record in the east and NOW their fans show up?
All of the sudden they have the nerve per Bob Ryan/NESN/The Boston Globe/WEEI/and their fan propoganda to claim they are the best hockeytown?
I just can't stand that arrogance and how they are so overrated as NHL town while we produce very solid NHL and US Junior players...we support our team through thick and thin..and get a fraction of the praise.

Also...at least with the Devils...you can't argue Brouduer and Stevens WERE great players.
But with the Bruins...Neely and Bourque?
One had less than a point per game during the NHL juice puck era...the other was another overrated defenseman.

To me...the Devils are nowhere close to as bad as those three teams.
The Devils have only beaten us ONCE in the playoffs...they've won three cups...and guess what...nobody cared.
If the Isles, Bruins, or Flyers won you'd hear all about it.
Further...the Devils kept Philly out of the finals in 95 and 00, preventing them from winning the cup.
They also have beaten the Bruins four straight times in the playoffs (including the finale at the Boston Garden).
Beating those teams, you gotta give credit, and it makes hard to hate.

I must admit though...I have not lived in the tri state area in awhile.
I never have lived in New Jersey...so I ask if I did live in New Jersey would my view change much?
What about those of you in NYC or the New York State suburbs....would that change my view or are Devil fans confined just to the Garden State?

Old
01-30-2009, 11:39 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I mind them because they are a rival....wheres the fun in our games if we don't have a heated rivalry

Though I have to admit, at least from this board, they have a ton of very respectable fans that know their stuff...so I do enjoy debating with them on the board.

Plus now we cant even bash them about the trap since they are the ones playing good offense..and we are the ones playing defense......

Old
01-30-2009, 11:40 PM
nyrfan519

I hate the Devils more than any team in all of sports. I lived in New Jersey for a long time, so that is probably a contributing factor. Devils fans were pretty obnoxious even though most of them knew very little about hockey.

Old
01-30-2009, 11:42 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I mind them because they are a rival....wheres the fun in our games if we don't have a heated rivalry

Though I have to admit, at least from this board, they have a ton of very respectable fans that know their stuff...so I do enjoy debating with them on the board.

Plus now we cant even bash them about the trap since they are the ones playing good offense..and we are the ones playing defense......
I have noticed that there are some knowledgeable Devils fans on this board, but most the people I used to go to school with were just obnoxious idiots. No matter what, I will always hate the Devils with a passion.

Old
01-30-2009, 11:53 PM
John Torturella

Honestly, as a Rangers fan, I cant see how you could not dislike the Devils. Its comparable to Yankees-Red Sox, Jets-Pats, Mets-Phillies, Cowboys-Giants. Its a natural rival. If you are really into the Rangers, you hate the Devils. Its just the way it has to be. I dont know how a diehard Rangers fan can not hate the Debs. I just cant see it.

Old
01-30-2009, 11:59 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

Aw shucks, I like you guys too

Old
01-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Nick00

First of all, I think "hating" another team just because they're a rival is pretty childish.
I mean I could understand if it was a team like Pittsburgh, with a bunch of whining babies, or just a dirty team of goons like Philadelphia, but the Devils right now seems like a pretty classy group of guys.
Even the fans aren't usually obnoxious, from my experience, again... Pens and Flyers are much worse in that regard.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:04 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
First of all, I think "hating" another team just because they're a rival is pretty childish.
I mean I could understand if it was a team like Pittsburgh, with a bunch of whining babies, or just a dirty team of goons like Philadelphia, but the Devils right now seems like a pretty classy group of guys.
Even the fans aren't usually obnoxious, from my experience, again... Pens and Flyers are much worse in that regard.
I have nothing against any of the players. I'm not saying that any of them are unclassy. I just hate the team as a whole, as any Ranger fan should.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:05 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
I have nothing against any of the players. I'm not saying that any of them are unclassy. I just hate the team as a whole, as any Ranger fan should.
Actually, I do really dislike Brodeur and the media's portrayal of him b/c I think he's very overrated. But that's a discussion for another time.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:05 AM
agentzzz

While I absolutely hate all the other teams in the division, my order of hatred usually is based on how successful they have been recently and how much i dislike individual players on those teams. but i always hate them. all of them. except right now I don't pay any attention to the isles unless the rangers are playing them.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:06 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I don't mind them nearly as much as the Islanders and Penguins.

I just think their fans are some of the most annoying around. Constantly trying to get Rangers fans suckered into pissing matches, constantly trying to prove just how much we SHOULD hate them, etc etc. The obsession with Lundqvist is just absurd -- much more than any Rangers fans have with Brodeur.

Pens fans and Islanders fans are right up there with them, but just a small step behind.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:07 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Honestly, as a Rangers fan, I cant see how you could not dislike the Devils. Its comparable to Yankees-Red Sox, Jets-Pats, Mets-Phillies, Cowboys-Giants. Its a natural rival. If you are really into the Rangers, you hate the Devils. Its just the way it has to be. I dont know how a diehard Rangers fan can not hate the Debs. I just cant see it.
Simple...I have not lived in NJ.
The Devils have a small, non vocal base that really has no hometown media. So when they have won...it hasn't been good...but compare that to if the Flyers were to have won...no contest.

I see the Islanders as the natural rival, then the Flyers.
The Devils in my view kept the Flyers from two cup finals.
I don't see how they aren't the bigger rival....given their style of play, their fans, and the NY-Philly contenstion.
NJ just has too small a fanbase for me to hate them, I got priorities with the Isles/Flyers/Bruins.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I dislike the Devils very slightly more than I dislike our other divisional rivals, but man do I hate the Islanders. NJ has the Flyers to battle with, NYI has nobody else.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:10 AM
mucker*

Honestly...I just do not see how you can hate the Devils more than Flyers.
We are talking about PHILADELPHIA.

Also...how can you stand the Bruins and their "fans".
Again...at least nobody makes up stories about the Devils having a great fanbase...unlike the Bruins who have a fairweather base but get called a hockeytown.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:13 AM
TylerDurden

"yes they deserve to die and i hope they burn in hell." haha kidding.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by blades212 View Post
Honestly...I just do not see how you can hate the Devils more than Flyers.
We are talking about PHILADELPHIA.

Also...how can you stand the Bruins and their "fans".
Again...at least nobody makes up stories about the Devils having a great fanbase...unlike the Bruins who have a fairweather base but get called a hockeytown.
I hate the Flyers, but I can't believe we've played them only once this season. That's some bad scheduling by the NHL. I haven't really thought about them as much this season since we haven't played them since November.

For some reason I don't despise the Bruins although I hate the Red Sox with a passion. I think I hate them more than any other franchise in sports. I have to remind myself that Bruins fans are members of Red Sox Nation to get fired up.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:28 AM
mucker*

I hate the Bruins more than the Red Sox, because at least I can respect that Boston is a baseball town.
I can not and refuse to buy into Boston being this magical hockeytown over and above New York, when hockey is very much 4th fiddle to the Sox, Pats, Celts and is extremely fairweather.

I hate the arrogance of Boston fans that they can ignore their team for a decade but since they play in a cold city they can call themselves a hockeytown.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:32 AM
mike14

Obviously there's a dislike due to them being divisional rivals but more than anything I respect the Devils.
They were one of the best teams in the NHL thru the mid 90s/early 00s and even with the retirement of Stevens etc, the aging of Broduer and the loss of some key players they always remain competitive even when it's predicted that they will begin to fail. You want to see how to build towards a championship you can do a lot worse than copy the Devils.

Old
01-31-2009, 12:46 AM
NHLsnipers

I hate them more than any other team! At least other teams in our division have some fun players...crosby, malkin, briere, gagne, richards, thats about it.

The Devils have no one cool, besides Shanny.

They won for so many years with that boring crap and riding Brodeur and now that Brodeur's out and they are still winning is beyond awful.

Old
01-31-2009, 01:02 AM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2009 View Post
I hate them more than any other team! At least other teams in our division have some fun players...crosby, malkin, briere, gagne, richards, thats about it.

The Devils have no one cool, besides Shanny.

They won for so many years with that boring crap and riding Brodeur and now that Brodeur's out and they are still winning is beyond awful.
oh cmon....parise's pretty exciting to watch......

damn you 03 draft.....(raising my fist in air) haha

Old
01-31-2009, 01:06 AM
mti79

I dislike the Devils and everything about them.... I have lived in NJ most of my life and I deal with Devil fans on an almost daily basis. Heck, my best friend is one and we argue all the time. It's also a huge negative that my gf, also a Ranger fan, now is rooting for Shanny to do well because she thinks that Slats and company screwed him over. That's an argument for another time. My order of disliking teams is this:
1. Devils, Islanders
2. Flyers, Penguins
3. Sabres (I lived in Buffalo for 5 years and it was during our dark days... not fun)
4. Boston, Montreal, Washington

Old
01-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I mind the Rangers more than you don't mind the Devils =P

Old
01-31-2009, 01:46 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Being a 21 year old, who grew up (hockey-wise) in the 7 year drought, complete with Devil dominance, I ****ing hate them. I respect them and how good they were/are...but I can't say I'll root for them.

01-31-2009, 01:50 AM
The Grinder
No Respect

One. If you are a Rangers fan in Jersey you should hate us because there is nothing more that i hate than a New Jersey Ranger fan. Why be a fan of a team that represents New York when you have a perfectly run organization in your own state.

New Jersey pride is a very big thing for me as it is for lots of people in jersey, I love where i live just as much as i love the team that plays in my home state. The Devils really do represent New Jersey. They are a team that nobody wants to give credit to even when they deserve it much like Jersey. Outsiders always are so quick to make an unfair insult based on some stereotype that begrudges us and we take it in stride because everyone living here knows what they really have. New Yorkers especially like to do this. Why join there side, they could care less of you unless your a rangers fan.

And the odd thing is as much as this rivalry does get heated we are far more alike than we are different which is why it is such a good rivalry. New Jersey is basically a battleground state for three franchises, The Rangers, the Devils, and the Flyers. This might be a reason why we have had attendance problems in the past.

Oh and our fan base is not that small. Its a young fanbase no doubt there but it is growing. And throwing in the "most devils fans know nothing about hockey" argument is a pretty ignorant thing to say, why i could say the same thing about ranger fans but i would know it not to be true.

Anyways i hope my post reflects i am not here to troll but to have a discussion on our rivalry we have here, and a great one i think we have.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:07 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grinder View Post
One. If you are a Rangers fan in Jersey you should hate us because there is nothing more that i hate than a New Jersey Ranger fan. Why be a fan of a team that represents New York when you have a perfectly run organization in your own state.

New Jersey pride is a very big thing for me as it is for lots of people in jersey, I love where i live just as much as i love the team that plays in my home state. The Devils really do represent New Jersey. They are a team that nobody wants to give credit to even when they deserve it much like Jersey. Outsiders always are so quick to make an unfair insult based on some stereotype that begrudges us and we take it in stride because everyone living here knows what they really have. New Yorkers especially like to do this. Why join there side, they could care less of you unless your a rangers fan.

And the odd thing is as much as this rivalry does get heated we are far more alike than we are different which is why it is such a good rivalry. New Jersey is basically a battleground state for three franchises, The Rangers, the Devils, and the Flyers. This might be a reason why we have had attendance problems in the past.

Oh and our fan base is not that small. Its a young fanbase no doubt there but it is growing. And throwing in the "most devils fans know nothing about hockey" argument is a pretty ignorant thing to say, why i could say the same thing about ranger fans but i would know it not to be true.

Anyways i hope my post reflects i am not here to troll but to have a discussion on our rivalry we have here, and a great one i think we have.
I lived in NJ for a while but my Dad's from NY. He influenced me heavily so I am thus a big Rangers fan, and in so being, a big Devils hater.

Closed Thread