HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Phil Esposito's SOG record

Old
01-31-2009, 03:36 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Phil Esposito's SOG record

Everytime I've seen mention of Phil Esposito's single season shots on goal record of 550 in 70-71, I've always thought that it was a pretty amazing feat that would be pretty much impossible to break. Now, Ovechkin is on pace to come near the mark (he's on pace for approximately 535 or something) and seems to have been picking it up as of late in terms of being a god damn lunatic on the ice, which of course leads to more shots on goal. This is a fact.

It may not happen this season, but that someone is even threatening this record is interesting, I find. Anyone think Ovechkin could do it this season, or if not, in the future? There's no one even remotely close to him in this stats column, but maybe a darkhorse in the future? Is Phil's record safe or is it destined to crumble?

What makes it all the more interesting to me is the way Ovechkin gets his shots. While Espo was known for being immovably parked in front of the net or in the slot area, Ovechkin creates many of his chances and shots using his speed, agility and drive to the net. He really is one of, if not the most dynamic player this league has seen in a long time...maybe forever.

Last edited by benji: 01-31-2009 at 03:43 AM.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:32 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Alex Ovechkin is special. I don't think most are ready to call him a singular talent yet, but he's in a very small group. He's certainly on pace to take a place next to the Lemieuxs and Bossys of scoring history; we'll know in about 7 years whether he deserves mention alongside those guys or not. Esposito's record certainly CAN be broken, but stingy defenses and teamwork offenses make it difficult for one guy to shoot that much. As long as he stays healthy, the Caps keep feeding him the puck and he keeps potting 50+ goals a year, he definitely has a shot (sts) at breaking it.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Hawksfan2828

You put enough on the net you're going to score alot...

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:08 AM
mrSlot

if ovechkin can break this record he must be awarded for this!

By guess Espo had 10 minutes more icetime per game than ovechkin!
he got warmed up after 40 seconds into the shift... and stayed on the ice for 20 more seconds ...

thats why it will be difficult for ovechkin, but with his skills he can do it all...

mrSlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Even reaching 500 shots would be an incredible feat, only accomplished by the record-holder Esposito. Ovechkin's almost a lock to move into 2nd place in this category.

550 - Phil Esposito, Bos., 1970-71
446 - Alex Ovechkin, Wsh., 2007-08
429 - Paul Kariya, Ana., 1998-99
426 - Phil Esposito, Bos., 1971-72
414 - Bobby Hull, Chi., 1968-69

Last edited by benji: 01-31-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Ovechkin from last year
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Even reaching 500 shots would be an incredible feat, only accomplished by the record-holder Esposito. Ovechkin's almost a lock to move into 2nd place in this category.

550 - Phil Esposito, Bos., 1970-71
446 - Alex Ovechkin, Wsh., 2007-08
429 - Paul Kariya, Ana., 1998-99
426 - Phil Esposito, Bos., 1971-72
414 - Bobby Hull, Chi., 1968-69
I remember Kariya in '98-99 he had the quietest 101 point season in NHL history. He was 3rd in scoring. His main goal that year was to average 5 shots a game, and well............

But in Ovechkin's case I don't think he will do it this year. He'll hit maybe close to 500 but Espo's record is one for the ages now. People forget how much of a natural goal scorer he was in his prime and his first reaction was to shoot. He'd get it in the slot and with those quick wrists he'd shoot! All the time. Ovy has his work cut out for him

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
smokie24

I never expected to see Kariya on this list. Playing with Selanne I just assumed he would be dishing him the puck, but that year Selanne had 47, and Kariya had 39. Just really surprised. Phil, it definitely had to be one of the quietest 101 point seasons ever. Between the two of them they fired 710 pucks on net.

smokie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:50 PM
iceless
-`ღ´-

Right now, Ovy is on pace for 543 shots. He has a serious shot (no pun intended) at eclipsing Espo's record.

If a healthy Pavel Bure was playing today (post-lockout NHL), I think he would also have had a shot at it.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
kaiser matias

He needs to average a little more than 9 shots a game to pass Espositio. Not an impossible thing to do for Ovechkin, but it will be close.

I think he is going to finish with around 530 shots. However, if he didn't miss the 3 games he did this year, there would be no question about him setting the record.

kaiser matias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:17 AM
foame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
But in Ovechkin's case I don't think he will do it this year. He'll hit maybe close to 500 but Espo's record is one for the ages now. People forget how much of a natural goal scorer he was in his prime and his first reaction was to shoot. He'd get it in the slot and with those quick wrists he'd shoot! All the time. Ovy has his work cut out for him
"Ovy has his work cut out for him"

foame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
God Bless Canada

I think Ovechkin will one day break Espo's record. I think he'll one day hold every shots on goal record out there. And if they track it, I think he'll hold the records for most missed shots, and most blocked shots.

The guy understands the concept of shooting the puck more than anyone I've ever seen. And that's high praise. Yeah, he scores the highlight reel goals. But he'll also probably score more "garbage goals," and generate more garbage goals, than anyone else in the league, because he shoots the puck so much. He understands what needs to be done to score goals, and he wants to score goals. He shoots from anywhere. He'll never lead the league in shooting percentage, but I'd rather have the league leader in goals than the league leader in shooting percentage.

And when you combine his desire to score and his willingness to shoot with his natural skill and instincts, that's what makes him so dangerous.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote