HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal

Old
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Jordan Staal

Although he got signed to an extension, I hear he's still available for the right price. Personally I think he's an upgrade on plek, but do you think a package can be made to lure pittsburg to trade him?

This isn't a panic thread, I've always liked Jordan Staal and he's been listed as a potential trade option for pittsburg to improve their team.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
my absolute dream trade for this team right now would be to pick up staal and whitney in a single trade.

move plex, higgins, prospects(lord knows we have enough D in the system), picks...

tanguay-koivu-d'ago
akost-lang-kovy
patches-staal-lats (!!!)
sergei-laps-kostop
laraque/begin/stewart

would be a completely killer set of forwards

while

markov-komo
hamr-whitney
cube-gorges
brise
dandy

would be a huge upgrade on D imo.

i also cant help but wonder if including kovalev would sweeten the pot and make it easier for the pens to send staal and whitney...kovy would be killer with malkin, and we are deep enough it wouldnt really hurt us:

tangs-koivu-dagger
akost-lang-skost
patches-staal-lats(!!!)
begin-laps-kostop

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
superstar436

vCash: 500
they would be looking for a top winger ( play with crosby) or a top dman ( 1st or second dman)

In other words : Akosty or markov.

Markov has more value than jordan

Akosty for staal is more plausible ( not exactly 1 for one ... draft picks and other players)

I did like stall up until 1 month ago. He is not a very energetic player and I am not sure if he will become a 1st centerman; thus, I will not give akosty for him.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Although he got signed to an extension, I hear he's still available for the right price.
He might be available for the "right price" in the sense that you can get Pittsburgh to part with him, but I doubt he's available for the "right price" that corresponds to his actual ability.

He's a good young player with a ton of upside, but his flukishly good first season and his last name are weighing in the balance far more than his flukishly bad second season and his actual current ability.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Although he got signed to an extension, I hear he's still available for the right price. Personally I think he's an upgrade on plek, but do you think a package can be made to lure pittsburg to trade him?

This isn't a panic thread, I've always liked Jordan Staal and he's been listed as a potential trade option for pittsburg to improve their team.
I don't think Jordan Staal would help this team that much and would cost way too much in return

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

I think Higgins and Plek could get you Staal, but Higgins+Plek+Picks(depending on how mjuch) prob won't get you both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I don't think Jordan Staal would help this team that much and would cost way too much in return
It's more of a long term proposition. He's a goal scoring two-way center with size and good speed. Seems like something we can use long term IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He might be available for the "right price" in the sense that you can get Pittsburgh to part with him, but I doubt he's available for the "right price" that corresponds to his actual ability.

He's a good young player with a ton of upside, but his flukishly good first season and his last name are weighing in the balance far more than his flukishly bad second season and his actual current ability.
He had an amazing first season, but he's only what, 20? I find it a little premature to base any of his seasons, including this one, as a benchmark for his actual ability. Besides, by right price, I mean, We have pieces we can part with. The way plek is playing I don't think he's a long term fixture on this team and throw in a winger like higgins(i dont want to trade higgins, but if we HAVE to, then fine) and I think they'll consider it. I don't think they want another hossa situation and lose a top line elite player and what they gave for him.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-30-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old
01-30-2009, 12:39 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

we definitely need a center of his quality in the future...i am extremely scared whenever i think of koivu and lang leaving the team...we're left with what: pleks, laps and maxwell!?!?!!

i'd be happy with staal and goligoski and staal for plex, higgins +

Old
01-30-2009, 12:40 PM
TheCH*

Staal is overrated.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Staal is overrated.
I would tend to agree. He is a good player and all but not as good as some people seem to make him out to be. I just don't see anyway he would be traded here.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Staal is overrated.
Fair enough, but so are other players...I don't wanna start a bashing thread, but kovy for instance, on pace for 59 points, but he's a superstar here, so I don't put emphasis on it much. The only thing I consider is the contract, upside, and the usefulness of the player. He's a goal scoring center with size, we wanted this for a long time. He's no 1st line center, he may never be, but he's not paid as one either.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Fair enough, but so are other players...I don't wanna start a bashing thread, but kovy for instance, on pace for 59 points, but he's a superstar here, so I don't put emphasis on it much. The only thing I consider is the contract, upside, and the usefulness of the player. He's a goal scoring center with size, we wanted this for a long time. He's no 1st line center, he may never be, but he's not paid as one either.
I'd like Staal on the team and all, but he is overrated in the fact that he is not worth what it would cost the team to get him. I'd think Andrei Kostitsyn is probably the only winger that would really intrigue the pens, but i am not willing to do that deal. But hey, it wouldn't be up to me.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
TheCH*

I'd rather get Ryan Whitney!

Old
01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
MathMan

Quote:
He had an amazing first season, but he's only what, 20? I find it a little premature to base any of his seasons, including this one, as a benchmark for his actual ability.
Well what do you want to base it on?

But that's sort of my point. His ability is being evaluated almost solely on the basis of him as a 29-goal scorer, even though he had a flukey shooting percentage. The second season where he had a flukey shooting percentage the other way isn't considered at all or gets dismissed as a fluke. Which smacks of wishful thinking.

Jury's still out on whether he can be a true #1 center, but I'm a bit skeptical. I'll buy him as a #2, though. Problem is, if he's traded Pittsburgh will want surefire-first-center return.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:07 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Jury's still out on whether he can be a true #1 center, but I'm a bit skeptical. I'll buy him as a #2, though. Problem is, if he's traded Pittsburgh will want surefire-first-center return.
Why would they want a surefire first center for him, if he isn't even a surefire first line center?
Plus, they aleady have two franchise centers, they are looking for wingers for those guys.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:09 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Staal reminds me of Jeff Carter.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Staal reminds me of Jeff Carter.
Except that Carter is a true sniper and Staal can't score in an empty net.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Why would they want a surefire first center for him, if he isn't even a surefire first line center?
What I meant was that Pittsburgh would want a return commensurate with Staal's hype as a surefire first center, if not a surefire franchise center, rather than what he is in reality.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:41 PM
DaHabMan

if we are gonna make a trade might as well go all out and get kovalchuk. I like staal but he isnt that dynamic forward that shows at every game that we need

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:44 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

staal has more goals and points than any of our centres except for robert lang.

staal is TWENTY years old.

he's also 6'4 and 220 pounds, plays the pk, and can win faceoffs

anyone saying they wouldnt want staal on this team needs to give their heads a shake.

Old
01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
if we are gonna make a trade might as well go all out and get kovalchuk. I like staal but he isnt that dynamic forward that shows at every game that we need
EXACTLY!! Kovi is the answer!

It's about time we had a superstar on this team!
Kostitsyn bros + prospects might be something to start negociations!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
Except that Carter is a true sniper and Staal can't score in an empty net.
You mean he's like a younger version of Lang?

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Exactly... also even though he has great size he does not use it as much as he should.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Magic33

It seems as though pens fans arent his biggest fans. We dont see him on a regular basis, he may not be that great.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 05:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

Getting Staal isn't for a cup run. I'm not suggesting him as a big time saviour of our problems, like i said, this isn't a panic thread, but the idea of having nice size down the middle long term that may have #1 center potential isn't something to be ignored. He'd help us now and in the future(depending the price of course). If tanguay could get value, I'd throw him in too(as long as they add something on their side).

Old
01-31-2009, 01:38 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He lands here and he would be our #1 center automaticaly. He may not be as good as hyped but he's good enough for us.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote