HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm pretty surprised at Habs fans sometimes.

Old
02-01-2009, 10:33 AM
canadianeh

vCash: 500
I'm pretty surprised at Habs fans sometimes.

I've been a lurker here for a long time.

I finally decided it was time to get to posting.

It seems to me there is a bit too much throwing the members of the organization under the bus sometimes.

I mean anyone who goes through a slump, or the team loses a game and it's 3 threads about who much they suck. Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec, The Kostitsyn's, Lats... Honestly, you'd think we were the worst team in the NHL or soemthing.

Or the calling out of Carbo or Gainey...

It seems like unless we score 12 goals a game and win them all in shutouts no one will be happy.

My goal isn't to call out the fans here. Because god knows I've done the same things too. I've been frustrated when a deal didn't happen (Hossa) or the team struggles in games too.

But I think everyone needs to look at the big picture.

The team was medicore at best since 1993, then Gainey took over along with Carbo and has made HUGE strides. There are always holes to fill, and struggles in areas. But overall the team is in a good spot. There's not much worry of missing the playoffs. The Powerplay is slowly improving. Gainey is looking for the right deal, but no dumb enough to sell out the future for it.

There are a LOT of teams who make desperation moves out there. They sell out the franchise for a shot at 1 year. And then it takes YEARS to recover. We're very fortunate that out front office is smarter than that. They will trade from a position of strength to get a good deal for now AND for later.

I think we'll all be happy about that next year, when we don't go back into another rebuild.

I mean sometimes you will miss the boat on a guy, but there is a lot of talent in the organization. Which means as long as we have smart people running the show, we won't have to go through another long dry spell like a lot of teams out there.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:54 AM
CanadaIsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post

I finally decided it was time to get to posting.

It seems to me there is a bit too much throwing the members of the organization under the bus sometimes.

I mean anyone who goes through a slump, or the team loses a game and it's 3 threads about who much they suck. Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec, The Kostitsyn's, Lats... Honestly, you'd think we were the worst team in the NHL or soemthing.

Or the calling out of Carbo or Gainey...

It seems like unless we score 12 goals a game and win them all in shutouts no one will be happy.

My goal isn't to call out the fans here. Because god knows I've done the same things too. I've been frustrated when a deal didn't happen (Hossa) or the team struggles in games too.

But I think everyone needs to look at the big picture.

The team was medicore at best since 1993, then Gainey took over along with Carbo and has made HUGE strides. There are always holes to fill, and struggles in areas. But overall the team is in a good spot. There's not much worry of missing the playoffs. The Powerplay is slowly improving. Gainey is looking for the right deal, but no dumb enough to sell out the future for it.

There are a LOT of teams who make desperation moves out there. They sell out the franchise for a shot at 1 year. And then it takes YEARS to recover. We're very fortunate that out front office is smarter than that. They will trade from a position of strength to get a good deal for now AND for later.

I think we'll all be happy about that next year, when we don't go back into another rebuild.

I mean sometimes you will miss the boat on a guy, but there is a lot of talent in the organization. Which means as long as we have smart people running the show, we won't have to go through another long dry spell like a lot of teams out there.

I'll drink to that!

Best thing to do, as i do, just don't read threads that are bashing players/coaching staff/team. Infact don't read half the stuff posted on these boards. Participate in a few threads, go check out other team's boards for fun to see what they are going through and in all enjoy ur experience on HF. We have a huge fanbase and you will always find the few that complain about anything and everythign. And those few stand out making the rest of our fanbase look like jackasses, idiots, and clueless morons.

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Travis Moen

It's always the empty barrels that make the most noise...

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
It's always the empty barrels that make the most noise...
empty barrels = great party!!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Welcome to the site.

I know what your saying, I've never understood it, I hear it's because the fans are so passionate that they constantly bash just about everyone. I highly doubt it will change around here ever.

I can understand the frustration, while it was just a short while ago the Habs flat out sucked and were a joke as one of the bottom feeders (although it would have helped if we had done a little worse in those years since aside from the lotto draft in '05, we only two top ten picks in Komi at 7th and A.Kosty at 10th)

Over the last 2 years the organization has taken a major step forward, playing much better hockey, getting continued success at the draft table, showing good signs of development from the farm in winning a Calder and Kelly Cup (AHL and ECHL championship in 2 years), we have good prospects and good young players despite some of the struggles they have had this year. Timmins continues to do a great job at the draft table so as long as he is here, we should at least continue to draft well, which imo has been the biggest reason for the turnaround of this organization, so hopefully he gets even better at his job as the future of this team just look at 21 year old Price, 20 year old Pac, 19 year old Subban, and several others, so when these guys are in their prime, hopefully others can join them as hopefully they reach their potential and help the team continue to be one of the better teams in the league.

But people will never be fully happy, as the Habs will always have some bad games, will have struggles, will be better draft picks, or trades we should have made or shouldn't have made. And it's not like this team has done anything in a long long time, so you got to expect a certain amount of unhappiness since we haven't been past the 2nd round in over a decade. That said I never understood why people feel the need to bash the crap out of it's own players.

Last year Higgins had more goals then everyone on the team not named Kovalev or Plekanec, this year he has some struggles and injuries and you would think he's total crap or useless, people saying get rid of him because we have D'Agostini, which if they had seen most of his games in the AHL, they'd know he can be a streaky player.

You can't have a discussion on Latendresse without the haters and the fanclub going at it. I don't get it, Lats is a solid young player that hopefully down the road turns into a very solid NHLer, it's likely going to take a couple more years but he's still young and finding his way.

Koivu has been bashed on here so much over the years I actually used to wish he would be traded so I wouldn't have to hear it anymore, I never understood the abuse he takes and it makes me sick to hear it. Sure he's not some great player but he puts points on the board and has been great in the playoffs for us when we didn't have very good teams.

For a couple years Kostitsyn was a bum since Getzlaf/Carter etc... were doing better, granted the team would have benefited from either those two over Kosty, he's still one of the most exciting players on the team and hopefully will get considerably better in time as he continues to show flashes of great skills. It's the same with our draft picks aside from Subban and Price, guys like Fischer, Chipchura, have taken heat for sure, while the jury is still out on them, people should be able to see that our track record in the 1st round since Savard/Timmins took over has been impressive and a major part of the teams success, so hopefully for the Habs sake, these players also contribute to the Habs in time. I can see why people are down on them, as Chipchura is not flashy at all and needs to get quicker and Fischer while showing steady improvement has yet to really standout in the NCAA, but both also have some interesting qualities and I wouldn't bet against the guy that picked them.

I think some just put too much into the success and failures of the Habs, I call it bi-polar as some here love the Habs so much when things are good but when things go bad as they have been (especially tough is having boston doing what many thought we would be doing this year) the bashing goes into overdrive and you'd think our team is total crap. Granted I am not happy at all with this team as they are getting out worked and are on the soft side so I have big concerns for the playoffs but still think we are headed in the right direction, and while I don't expect a cup anytime soon I like the future of the organization.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:57 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Interesting how as of recently all these lurkers are being more outspoken lol.

Anyway, I agree with your post, we have an unsatisfiable hunger. Its Habs land, its Hockey. Won't change anytime soon.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:48 PM
TheCH*

Talking about surprised with the fans..

My friends old man(probably 50 years old now), grew up in England. Hardcore soccer fan. He traveled to Montreal in the late 70's when the habs were in their glory years, and went to a game that ended in a tie and the players were booed off the ice. He couldn't believe it! lol

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Mise en echec
Nothin' but mammals

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post

Mise en echec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Interesting how as of recently all these lurkers are being more outspoken lol.

Anyway, I agree with your post, we have an unsatisfiable hunger. Its Habs land, its Hockey. Won't change anytime soon.
Unsatisfiable hunger doesn't have to translate into stupidity, but it often does with some people around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacioretty set GO View Post

Uh, lurking can mean they just viewed the boards for a long time without signing up.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote