HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ruutu and Blake

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 02:37 AM
imafan

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94
No, no, no, no no. Keep your head up when you skate throught the neutral zone. Moor'es hit on Naslund was clean. The league reviewed it and deemed it a clean hit. Matt cooke challenges Moore to a fight and he obliges. A Vancouver player went toe to toe with Moore and that should have been the end of the story. For you to come here and defend something that would get you jail time if you did it on the street is absurd.
i intended this thread to not talk about bertuzzi or moore...

Old
03-09-2004, 02:55 AM
ericmessier29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
What you guys have to realize is this is what is done to Cloutier every night. Its done to get the goalie off of his game. I don't understand why its such a big deal.
As an Avalanche fan, I can honestly say I agree with that. Brad May played a great game and did what he could to change the momentum. I didn't like what he did, but he did exactly what I would expect to see one of the Avs do if the score was reversed. That said, there are a few things about the game that bothered me.

1. Obviously, Bertuzzi's punch to the Steve Moore's temple. I can't say anything more about this that hasn't been said by someone else. Considering Bertuzzi's previous record, the fact that the NHL warned the Canucks about the 'bounty', and the severity of the incident, I hope Bertuzzi is suspended through the playoffs.

2. Brookbank trying to get into another fight with Worrell after the Moore incident. Am I the only one that was pissed off by this? What kind of idiot starts another fight after what happened to Moore? I know Worrell was still playing physical, but he was doing what he does on every shift; finishing his checks. At this point the referees gave Worrell enough minutes to send him to the dressing room just to keep any more fights from breaking out, but that never should have happened.

3. The fact that Crawford let the game get out of hand. Moore had been challenged to a fight early in the game and took on Cooke. After that fight, there is no reason for anyone to be trying to fight him again. The Canucks and/or Crawford should be fined for letting this happen.

Old
03-09-2004, 02:56 AM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Someone also cross checked David in the mask leading to a 5 on 3 advantage. That coupled with the May incidents and Bertuzzi driving almost into Aebischer (until Foote knocked him away) told me that Vancouver was trying to get under Abby's skin and possibly get Sauve into the game which would have given them a chance at a comeback seeing as Sauve's confidence has to be rock bottom after giving up 7 goals.
I guess you didn't see Aebischer punch Morrison in the stomach with his catchers glove after his goal from the last game.. and then to stand over him as he's doubled over in pain.... ahhh yes the innocent and loveable Abby...

Aebischer is far from an angel and had everything coming to him.

Old
03-09-2004, 03:00 AM
imafan

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
I guess you didn't see Aebischer punch Morrison in the stomach with his catchers glove after his goal from the last game.. and then to stand over him as he's doubled over in pain.... ahhh yes the innocent and loveable Abby...

Aebischer is far from an angel and had everything coming to him.
yes, and don't forget the forsberg shot on cloutier

Old
03-09-2004, 04:07 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by imafan
I want to discuss the Blake vs Ruutu fight. Blake seemingly hurt his hand while trying to punch Ruutu, where one of his punches missed and his fist hit the glass. Right after this happens you'll notice he's yelling something... probably trying to let Ruutu and the refs know that he's injured himself and to end the fight... what does Ruutu do? He continues on and keeps throwing punches flooring Blake... Just brutal all round for the canucks... I thought fighters had some respect for each other... especially when it comes to injuries...
Blake pounds Ruutu around his face with at least three good shots, misses on a huge haymaker that more than likely would have done major damage to Ruutu had it connected... but likely does a great deal of damage to Blakes hand when it hits the glass... and Ruutu is now supposed to stop fighting? Have you lost all sense? You don't even have any idea what Blake is saying.... but it must be a friendly heads up to Ruutu asking him kindly to give up now. HOW is it possible that Ruutu is a villian here? Blake has huge size, strength and fighting skill over Ruutu, and yet he's still game to go. I just want to know in what world you can actually expect one guy to stop fighting because one of the guys hurts his hand trying his very best to hurt the other guy?

I certainly understand not liking Ruutu, as his whole game is based on making opposing teams feel that way, but try and keep it realistic.

Old
03-09-2004, 04:08 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
I have a tough time believing that. Just remember, because Hughson and that other monkey said it, doesn't make it true.

The goal was just scored, how did Aebischer mysteriously acquire posession of the puck?
Um, you know that big red netty thing behind him? It's in there. That's what nets do, they catch the pucks the goalies miss.

It's customary for the goalie to move out of the way so that a player can retrieve a milestone puck.

Old
03-09-2004, 04:11 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I will say this, the fight was a good one with a slight edge to Blake, until he hit the glass. After that....he just completely stopped. I said as much at the time. Whether or not he said something to Ruutu is obviously debatable, but I think its obvious that this is where he gets hurt and why he did not return to the game. I mean..he threw a haymaker right at the glasss........i wouldn't be surprised if there is some breaks/sprains.

As for May, the reason given is an option, but he went at Aebischer twice, the first time even shoving David. The fact that he went at him twice, says to me thta he was trying to get under the goalies skin.......especially b/c he skates well out of his way just to get up in his face (the second time).
Exactly.... and he got a 10 minute misconduct for his behavior. Concidering how many times Cloutier has been run by the AVs (unpleasant, but hey, it's been known to get him off his game), it seems silly to get pissed off at a guy for "talking" to the goalie.

Old
03-09-2004, 04:13 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Quote:
Someone also cross checked David in the mask leading to a 5 on 3 advantage. That coupled with the May incidents and Bertuzzi driving almost into Aebischer (until Foote knocked him away) told me that Vancouver was trying to get under Abby's skin and possibly get Sauve into the game which would have given them a chance at a comeback seeing as Sauve's confidence has to be rock bottom after giving up 7 goals.
Yup, and they were penalized for these stupid moves, and it cost them momentum in the game.

Old
03-09-2004, 04:45 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Since Aebischer only gave up two goals, it looks like the Cauncks successfully got to Swiss Cheese. It would have been a 9-9 game if Aebischer was on his game.

On the other hand, it appears that the Avs never got Cloutier off of his game.

Old
03-09-2004, 07:39 AM
Steve L*

I know Brashear is no angel but he let up on Ray when it appeared he was cut bad, even after Ray went after Kapanen.

Most fighters will stop if a player is injured or prone but the Domis, Ruutus etc dont Thats why they are cheap players.

Old
03-09-2004, 07:53 AM
highstickingyerface

Send a message via MSN to highstickingyerface
Ruutuu isn't what I would call a fighter so he doesn't understand the code. He is what I call an idiot. However he is no longer the sole reason I can't fully cheer for Vancouver out west. What old steroid head Bertuzzi did is so sickening I hope VanCity goes out in 4 straight to whomever they meet in the 1st round.

And Crawford if it's true he was smirking.. well I won't say what I think because it's likely not allowed on this board.

Oh and how would Abby know it was a milestone puck? Do you think the Avs watch Vancouver boxscores every night to see if Linden finally picked up the 1 point he has needed for 5 weeks to take the record?

Old
03-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by imafan
I want to discuss the Blake vs Ruutu fight. Blake seemingly hurt his hand while trying to punch Ruutu, where one of his punches missed and his fist hit the glass. Right after this happens you'll notice he's yelling something... probably trying to let Ruutu and the refs know that he's injured himself and to end the fight... what does Ruutu do? He continues on and keeps throwing punches flooring Blake... Just brutal all round for the canucks... I thought fighters had some respect for each other... especially when it comes to injuries...
You don't have a point to argue this here. Don't start pointing out everything that happened or all the Avs fans will get the crybaby label thrown on them. Guys break their hands all the time in fights and it's no reason to stop. Players know what they are getting into when they drop the gloves and if he was crying to the refs, that's pretty bad.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:34 AM
SpookyDonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Bertuzzi could learn something from both. Both challenged much bigger guys from the front.

May challenged Moore, he turned it down, so May went on and fought Worrell twice... that's what Todd should've done.
Have you EVER seen Bertuzzi fight someone that was of equal size? The guy is a chump and a coward.

Old
03-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
I've been wondering this for a long time. Why can't Todd Bertuzzi fight someone his own size?
We only play Chara twice a year.

And Ruutu just towers over Blake

Last edited by Ironchef Chris Wok*: 03-09-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old
03-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Habsaku

Wow, the league is really getting out of hand, its been a long time since I've seen this much violence. With all the trades brewing and the rivalries heating up, I think we'll have one of the best post season ever.

Now about the game, or more specifically about Bertuzzi. I watched it and I called my father and I showed it to him, his first reaction was: Didnt this happen a few years ago? You know the guy with the stick who hit that black player?

I was shocked but he was right, this is McSorley all over again, I cant believe someone would be dumb enough to jeopordize another players career. You play against this guy all year long, he fights for his team just like you do, how you can even think for a split second to do what Bertuzzi did is beyond me. This is as bad if not worst then what Mclaren did to Zednik and I think the league wont put their pants on, they are wussies and they need to sell tickets, it sure as hell isnt Moore who does that.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Wow, the league is really getting out of hand, its been a long time since I've seen this much violence. With all the trades brewing and the rivalries heating up, I think we'll have one of the best post season ever.

Now about the game, or more specifically about Bertuzzi. I watched it and I called my father and I showed it to him, his first reaction was: Didnt this happen a few years ago? You know the guy with the stick who hit that black player?

I was shocked but he was right, this is McSorley all over again, I cant believe someone would be dumb enough to jeopordize another players career. You play against this guy all year long, he fights for his team just like you do, how you can even think for a split second to do what Bertuzzi did is beyond me. This is as bad if not worst then what Mclaren did to Zednik and I think the league wont put their pants on, they are wussies and they need to sell tickets, it sure as hell isnt Moore who does that.
1. McLaren on Zednik is different. That was a "hockey play" gone wrong. Zednik got past McLaren, McLaren paniked, stuck his arm... he got what he deserved.

2. This is EXACTLY like the McSorley incident, well without a stick. That's what Bob McKenzie said. McSorley without a stick.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:22 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Don't complain about May and Aebischer... Forsberg punched Cloutier in the groin. You had to see retribution coming there too.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Well it appears as though this will be the theme of the rest of the year; pile on the Canucks for every little thing that happens. I love the fact that people always chastize Ruutu for never fighting, or fighting smaller players, and then he takes on somebody out of his weight class......and what happens? Let's find something else to complain about! I will not defend Bertuzzi, but I will still stick up for the other players on this team. Ruutu and May played it straight and dropped the gloves with players out of their weight class, and in any other game, they would be commended.

Old
03-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
1. McLaren on Zednik is different. That was a "hockey play" gone wrong. Zednik got past McLaren, McLaren paniked, stuck his arm... he got what he deserved.

2. This is EXACTLY like the McSorley incident, well without a stick. That's what Bob McKenzie said. McSorley without a stick.
No its more like Matt Johnson on Jeff Beukeboom a few years ago, exactly the same.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:34 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Did Johnson continue to punch Beukeboom after he went down? Did he drive his head the ice? Did he jump on top of the unconscience Beukeboom to continue to punch him?

Old
03-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Reign Nateo

This is the biggest crock of **** I have ever read. Ruutu should have known Blake's hand was hurt? We don't know what was said so we shouldn't talk out of our ass. I didn't see Blake let up on Ruutu, he kept fighting.

There are enough things to get after the Canucks for, but this isn't one of them.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Thalia

Quote:
No, no, no, no no. Keep your head up when you skate throught the neutral zone. Moor'es hit on Naslund was clean.
This kind of statment is exactly what infuriates Canucks fans and the team which ultimately lead to last night's ugly incident.

This is the last time I'm getting into the Moore/Naslund hit b/c obviously retribution has been dished out albeit extreme.

Naslund did NOT touch the puck when Moore took his head off so the hit was NOT clean; you cannot hit a player who doesn't touch the puck... that's the simple rule.

I am glad that the Canucks took retribution but I was truly hoping for Bertuzzi to punish Moore via a bone-crushing hit that would have sent Harvard boy back to Boston and send a message to the rest of the league to lay off of our star players, but instead I got a bone-headed Bertuzzi play. Not cool and Bertuzzi will pay the price for his actions.

Edit: typo

Last edited by Thalia: 03-09-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old
03-09-2004, 10:51 AM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
A point I want to make:
How does the opriginal poster know that Blake was saying to Ruutu that his hand got hurt? There is no way that you can see that during the replay and all you are doing is assuming it. Ruutu, up to that point, was getting his rear end handed to him and was trying to fight back. Hypothetical situation, if I punch you a few times than say that I hurt my hand, are you just going to skate away?

Old
03-09-2004, 10:56 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Ahhh, that could be. This was Linden's special moment tonight; he reached his milestone and wanted to keep the puck. At least that's one explanation for May's nastiness to Abby.
Geez, I remember Nucks fans talking about how Linden would reach it vs. the Flames. That was like 3 weeks ago. Struggling Trevor ???

Old
03-09-2004, 10:59 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I know Brashear is no angel but he let up on Ray when it appeared he was cut bad, even after Ray went after Kapanen.

Most fighters will stop if a player is injured or prone but the Domis, Ruutus etc dont Thats why they are cheap players.
You're not seriously defending that gutless showboat Donald Brashear? The honourable fighters in this league don't go around dancing like they won the World Heavyweight Championship everytime a fight ends, like this clown. He was just happy to leave the Western Conference when he did so he wouldn't have to duck George Laroque anymore. Then he goes after Ray, who hasn't played all season, and supposedly lets up at the end. Let me know where you're getting those Pharmaceuticals 'cause I want some.

Closed Thread