HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2/1/09 Washington Capitals vs Ottawa Senators. Verizon Center. 12:30 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
  #451
Whopper88
Registered User
 
Whopper88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Must be nice to have gotten that kind of gift from the ref on the red card.
Yeah, that was a very bad call, but I will take it. I just don't want Man U to win the premiereship again. I was born and raised in Manchester and I can't stand that team. I got beat up a lot because I cheered for Liverpool growing up, but You Never Walk Alone. Go Liverpool. Also with the last 2 years, I am glad the Caps started the Rock the Red Slogan cause that can be used by both teams.....

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 10:43 AM
  #452
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosmurf View Post
EDIT: Looks like Ottawa sacked Craig Hartsburg after the game with the caps. Why are fans so eager to blame coaches when their team sucks? I don't know enough about ottawa's specific situation to say one way or the other, just seems to be a trend around the league these days. Lots of teams hoping to be like last year's caps?
Very few fans are blaming the coach actually.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:05 AM
  #453
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Very few fans are blaming the coach actually.
But the coach is the easiest to get rid of. It's a shame they take the fall for poor play so often, but they are the simplest piece of the puzzle to deal with.

And OHL to NHL is a huge jump too. Maybe Hartsberg couldn't handle the players very well.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:23 AM
  #454
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
But the coach is the easiest to get rid of. It's a shame they take the fall for poor play so often, but they are the simplest piece of the puzzle to deal with.
Murray seems to be saving his job somehow, even though his hand-picked selections can't last an entire season. My guess is that his gig will be up at the end of the season, unless Melnyk is completely hooked on him.

Many of Ottawa's forwards have not lived up to past expectations, whether due to work ethic, lack of puck movement from the backline, or lack of an offensive system. It's equally evident that Ottawa lacks offensive creativity beyond 3 players, which is Murray's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
And OHL to NHL is a huge jump too. Maybe Hartsberg couldn't handle the players very well.
That's why going with an AHL coach at this point in time is lunacy.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
  #455
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Murray seems to be saving his job somehow, even though his hand-picked selections can't last an entire season. My guess is that his gig will be up at the end of the season, unless Melnyk is completely hooked on him.

Many of Ottawa's forwards have not lived up to past expectations, whether due to work ethic, lack of puck movement from the backline, or lack of an offensive system. It's equally evident that Ottawa lacks offensive creativity beyond 3 players, which is Murray's fault.

That's why going with an AHL coach at this point in time is lunacy.
I seem to be having the same conversation in two threads, but...

At least AHL coaches deal with men and noth 16-20 year olds (exclusively). They have at least a better idea of what it takes to deal with those personalities then an OHL coach. Or at least that would seem like the conventional wisdom.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:30 AM
  #456
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
I seem to be having the same conversation in two threads, but...

At least AHL coaches deal with men and noth 16-20 year olds (exclusively). They have at least a better idea of what it takes to deal with those personalities then an OHL coach. Or at least that would seem like the conventional wisdom.
Well, it's clear that they've formally given up on the season and this an interim measure anyway.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:33 AM
  #457
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Well, it's clear that they've formally given up on the season and this an interim measure anyway.
That may very well be true. With guys like Torts, Quinn, hell even Laviolette you'd think murray (or his replacement) would take the time to do a true coaching search in the off-season.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:46 AM
  #458
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
But the coach is the easiest to get rid of. It's a shame they take the fall for poor play so often, but they are the simplest piece of the puzzle to deal with.

And OHL to NHL is a huge jump too. Maybe Hartsberg couldn't handle the players very well.
It may be true, but it doesn't apply here. He had coached in the NHL for several years already before being stuck in the OHL for some time.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
  #459
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It may be true, but it doesn't apply here. He had coached in the NHL for several years already before being stuck in the OHL for some time.
So I was informed in the other thread.

But he apparently didn't have much success as a nhl coach.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:24 PM
  #460
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
So I was informed in the other thread.

But he apparently didn't have much success as a nhl coach.
Yep, his failings are still quite legit. IMO this is more an organizational issue, up through the GM and ownership, though. 3 (now 4) coaches in, what, 12 months?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 12:29 PM
  #461
Roccoman
Registered User
 
Roccoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
losing Chara, Redden, Meszaros seems to be the biggest problem.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
  #462
valcyte
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Man U All The Wayyyy!!!!

valcyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
  #463
Portable Mink
Go Walker!
 
Portable Mink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,370
vCash: 500
El Nino

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.